Reviews for Kia Sorento years:

Kia Sorento Reviews and Owner Comments

Kia SorentoOwner Reviews (87 reviews)
    Sassy2, Potwin, KS, July 28, 2014 13:36
    I STRONGLY DO NOT RECOMMEND EVER BUYING A KIA PERIOD. BOUGHT A BRAND NEW 2008 AND WARRANTY EXPIRED JANUARY 2014. APRIL 2014 CAR STARTED LEAKING TERRIBLY FROM ROOF RAILS. NOW I EITHER HAVE TO PAY THEM TO FIX IT OR GO WITH SOMEONE ELSE OR GET A CAR MADE IN AMERICA BY AMERICANS. THINK I WILL ALWAYS GO FOR THE LATTER FROM NOW ON. I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM LIKE THIS WITH ANY OTHER CAR I HAVE PURCHASED AND AFTER HAVING READ OTHERS POSTS ON INTERNET THIS SEEMS TO BE A COMMON PROBLEM WITH THE KIA SORENTO. ALSO ABS LIGHT WANTS TO STAY ON ALL THE TIME. THIS CAR SUCKS BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Visitor, Kiln, MS, April 15, 2014 15:15
    I have a water leak near the back of motor. Steady Drip.
    Visitor, Thomasville, NC, April 08, 2014 14:57
    I would advise people to not purchase a kia. I purchased my Sorento with 19 miles in 2005. I have had mine serviced regularly. The first issue was the crank shaft bolt broke at 90,000 miles. Then a little over 100,000 mile my air conditioner went out, then a few months later the heater fan went out. I have had to replace the rotors. Now im having issues with the wheel bearings. My mechanic said the entire rear axle parts are junk. They don't make these cars to last. I have 130,00 miles and will be getting rid of it and will NEVER purchase a Kia.
    Visitor, Phoenix, AZ, March 30, 2014 18:44
    Power steering. Seems the tech at KIA Peoria don't know how to fix the problem returned it four times and is still leaking. Factory rotors were replaced after 50,000 miles now they say the new ones are cheap and they are probably warped. Third time to replace the rotors. When I brake the front in shakes and I am told it is the rotors. The service tech says he will sell me good ones for $200.00. Wow! such a deal. The refrigeration had to be replaced I don't know how many times I have had to replace lights inside and out. I have over 100,000 on my Silverado and I have only replaced the water pump except for batteries and tires. Guess I will stay with America made products. DOON'T BUY KIA - THEY ARE JUNCK AND THE TECHS DON'T NOW HOW TO FIX ANYTHING RIGHT. Chuck Akers, Phoenix, Arizona
    Visitor, Oak Lawn, IL, February 23, 2014 09:39
    Bought my Sorento new in 2005 & thought yay!! Have a vehicle with great coverage! Wrong .... Replaced a lot of headlights,belts,small stuff that adds up. But last week the crank shaft bolt broke off & went through a head gasket! No recall on the bolt! My Sorento only had 80,000 !! Crazy that my car is worth nothing now. I will never buy another Kia, they don't stand behind their vehicles!!!! The mechanics just want to up sell every time you're in for service!! Thankful it broke down in my driveway & not on the road. Not at a good financial stage in my life right now. But thanks to KIa, I had to buy a new vehicle & no it's not another Kia!!!!!!
    Visitor, Wadsworth, IL, February 16, 2014 09:53
    I have less than 18,000 miles on my kia, most of the driving would be called county, not city. I took my car in because a squeel could be heard when in revers, Was told the front brakes mounting was slightly out of whack and not to worry, they would fix when ever wanted. last week i took the car in and found the front rotors were rusted so badly the pads were shot. How can a rotor rust, if the pads are engaging, the pads act like sand paper and clean up the rotor surface. If the brakes auto adjust when in reverse mine should have been well adjusted. I need to backup 120 feet to get out of my driveway. I think the pads were misadjusted or the auto adjust function failed and the pads didn't engage the rotors in front untill I did a emergency style stop. I have a manual 6 speed and on the hiway get 52 mph with cruise set at 65. I am very satisfied overall but, now know that next time the rotors and brake pads need replacing not to have oem parts installed. Other kia owners reported rotors needing turning every 3 thousand to 6 thousand miles. Average rotor and pad life is 30 to 40 thousand miles. Kia needs to address this problem. Note: rotors and pads are not warrantied
    Visitor, Richmond, VA, October 24, 2013 12:23
    After the vehicle stopped working for the second time in 3 months. I had to do some research, this last incident none of the belts would spin but the engine is running. I came to find out this is a common problem with the Sorento. The bolt of the crankshaft breaks which causes more damage. The steering goes out and the brake and battery light comes on. Now Im about to come out of pocket another $1000 after I had to have the starter replaced two months ago and the antifreeze pipe a month ago. At this point I believe ive put more money into the car than its worth. Now dont get me wrong all the major problems just begun this summer and the vehicle is 8years old well 9 since it was more than likely actually made in 2004. I called to see if there were any recalls regarding the crankshaft and the response was no. If this is such a common problem maybe there should be a recall or a required inspection during regular maintenance.
    Visitor, Lincoln, IL, September 20, 2013 09:10
    Further status of the 2008 with suspected ABS problems. Wrote to KIA Tech service about the problem with brake pedal going to floor. HMMM They called me in response to my email. Their comment was to take car back to dealer and have the problems documented. Tech service said there was no paper trail on the problem. How about no paper trail with a phone call instead of answereing my email? Never say die. I will get the problem resolved.
    Visitor, Lincoln, IL, August 20, 2013 08:38
    Bought a 2008 with 30000 miles on it. Wife and I like the car and we get 25 mpg on the highway with it. One of the quietest road cars I have driven. Dealer has been good at meeting all warranty claims. Vehicle now has 65000 miles. Recently I noticed the brake pedal going to the floor at times. Had to pump it couple of times to get full peddle. I replaced the front rotors and pads with premium parts. Bled front brakes. Still had issue with the peddle. Dealer said I needed to flush the system. Paid $130 for dealer to flush brake system. Seemed to work. Back to Dealer within days for the same issue. System flushed again at dealer expense. Said I needed a new master cylinder for $409. Bought one for $109 and installed it. Bled brakes and seemed good. For a day. I am suspecting the ABS pump/valve/system for the problem. Read where other people having same issues and one way to correct it was to drive car down gravel road at 40-50mph and hit brakes so that the ABS should engage. Writers said it solved problem. Any suggestions? Would appreciate comments. Thinking about trading for a FORD.
    Visitor, Redding, CA, August 17, 2013 10:03
    I bought a 2005 LX in January. No problems with headlights but I have noticed that it will sometimes loose power or wont kick in when going up hill. It will stay about 30-40 mph. Another this is a random squeal when starting the car and when its over 100 degrees outside with the air conditioning. Lately with running the ac I smell something burning. I have it under warranty and will take it in. Hopefully they can fix it.
    2008 owner, Tacoma, WA, August 16, 2013 17:44
    Kia is a good car unless you need to have them worked on.. Then get ready for all kinds of run around.. Next time I will stick to the good old FORDS AND CHEVY!!
    2008 owner, Tacoma, WA, August 16, 2013 17:34
    I bought this 2008 sorento new an the driveshaft went out. The repair bill is outrougous!! no after market parts!!
    Visitor, Duncansville, PA, April 30, 2013 10:45
    Have a 2007 Kia Sorento, shortly after the 5 tear 60000 mile warrenty was up the rear Differential went out, Kia wont honer the 10 yr 100000 mile power train warrenty because I;m the second owner. After going round and round with Kia and the local Dealer Courtesy Kia altoona, CROOKS I bought a new diff. online from an honest dealer in Kansas, had it shipped, had a local mechanic install it and was still 30% under what the local dealer wanted for the PART. Now I have a chain rattle noise in the engine, and developing a knock, every mechanic that has looked at it says UNLOAD it. No one locally even wants to work on it and after the Diff. issues with Coutesy Kia, and their outrageous price to even look at it, I guess its time to dump it befor the transmition goes.
    Visitor, Acworth, GA, April 10, 2013 11:28
    ***Hot MAMA*** When I am driving the interior of my car is getting really hot The heating and a/c element are both turned off and the fan as well. I don't smell or see smoke while driving. There are not warning light displaying on the dash. Is it possible for something under the hood to be blowing the hot air into the interior of the car? I do get regular maintance done and the dealership has not noted any problems in this area.
    Visitor, Reading, PA, March 04, 2013 21:02
    Bought my '05 EX new on 1/2/2006. Currently, it has 97K miles on the odometer.....One thing I've noticed in a majority of these ratings is electrical issues. I only have a few to report on. Like many of you mentioned, light bulb scenarios. One of headlights seems to have a "vapor lock" problem. There's no certain time of year, etc. But, it'll get condensation for a month, few months. Another words, it's sporadic. When I was going through the varying light bulb issues. All of them seem to go, especially in the 1st few years I of owning it. Ironically, the headlight mentioned prior wasn't any more or less burning out bulbs, condensation or not. The only ones never replaced are the fog lights. However, I only use them during adverse weather situations. So, they don't get the hour usage the other ones do....The other item was bizarre from time of incident until being repaired and corrected. About 2 years in have the Sorento, it would discharge the battery at any given time. On the 3rd visit to the dealership. I was told there was a "notice" about the Sorento model. It was under full warranty (luckily) when it was repaired. I saw on the repair invoice it would have been almost $1000 to fix it. They did fix it, but the way I was even told about this "notice", I thought was a sh*tty deal. Basically, unless you report/repair it 3 or more times, you wouldn't even know about it. There's no doubt something like that should have been a "recall" scenario. But, it was like it was a "Kia dealership or Kia America wasn't going to utter a word, until you brought it in so many times". However, it was fully repaired, and no trouble since.
    Tom Terrific, Palmetto, FL, January 15, 2013 05:45
    I bought this 2008 Kia Sorento new and never had any problems with it. However; the check engine light recently came on. I had a friend put a computer on it and it showed that the oxygen sensors were bad. I took it to a local Kia repair shop and they had the car for 8 days. They told me that the oxygen sensors were ok. My problem was the fuel line which they said was breaking down because of the ethenol in the gas and replaced the fuel line. This was under warranty. The check engine light came back on as soon as I drove out of the Kia dealer. I took it back and they couldn't find anything wrong. This time they told me I was buying bad gas and they put an additive in the gas. As soon as I drove out of the shop, you guessed it, the check engine light came back on. I've been using this same gas for 18 years and never had this problem before. I don't know what to do next. If anyone out there has any suggestions please e-mail me.
    Visitor, Murrysville, PA, January 06, 2013 20:45
    I've owned my 2005 sorento 3.5L for 5 years, and only until this past week I've had zero issues with it. the emissions system check engine light came on...after checking it I got the trouble code P0441. Turns out it was a faulty purge solenoid....easy fix. i have 200,000km on the motor, and its still going strong. it just goes to show you that if you actually take care of your vehicle, and do your scheduled maintenance....it wont break down. i love my Kia Sorento and will never buy any other 4x4 ever again. i have put that vehicle through some pretty hair raising situations ie: half submerged in water, and mud, extreme angled up hill climbs, rocks, ruts, snow etc. and it NEVER got stuck, or couldn't make it up the hill. the only thing that i don't care for is the odd brake light bulb that burns out from time to time. minor issue.
    Visitor, Bangor, ME, December 20, 2012 09:25
    Buying a Kia is like buying a computer printer, cheap inital cost but expensive for parts and ink and no resale value. I will NEVER buy another Kia. Have had a 2006 Sorento for four years now can't afford to keep it and can't afford to sell it. Lights, brakes, exhaust, timing belt, water pump (labor)... most expensive (and most squirrelly) 4WD that I have ever owned.
    thesun, Clinton, IA, November 06, 2012 07:36
    my car position lights front and rear doesnot comes on when switch to on drive in night realy problem e mail ahmed_77790@yahoo.com
    Visitor, Charlotte, NC, September 29, 2012 06:19
    All I HAVE TO SAY IS That kia must have stock in a light bulb factory. have a 2006 sorento in last 2 years changed out the rear light' s 4 times today the tehe lamps. it funny I have a 94 pontiac and have never change on bulb
    Visitor, Brooklyn, NY, July 30, 2012 21:58
    Original owner 2003 Sorento EX 4x4 3.5L 4spd auto 75,000 miles. Love this car, plenty of leg room (I am 6'2), engine\tranny OK but electrical system sucks. Had to turn off the security alarm as it kept on draining the car battery, headlights and worst BREAK light bulbs keep on burning out, someone will rear end me one of these days because of that. The horn will stop working on some days for no reason. Will not buy a newer 2013 Kia any model based on a harsh ride and worst - electrical issues.
    Visitor, Orinda, CA, July 09, 2012 13:20
    Bought a brand new Kia Sorento 3 months ago and the steering fluid is already leaking. I have had to top it off 3 times in the last couple weeks. Will be scheduling appointment to bring it in to get checked.
    Visitor, Mascotte, FL, June 30, 2012 11:04
    I have a 2004 KIA Sorrento and I will also comment on the Head light issue......it sucks..... I too replace bulbs all the time. I was told that when you replace one you need to replace them on both sides. when you replace just one side the other side will go out right behind it. I found that replacing them both at the same time dose make a difference but they still should not blow like they do and..... not to mention it is a pain in the butt to get them head lights out....speaking from a single lady that does her own minor repairs!
    Visitor, Fairport, NY, June 13, 2012 13:00
    I have fully loved my 2008 Sorento EX. However, since December 2011, it has been in to the dealership 7 times. For the exact same issue: interior lights go dark and refuse to light. That obviously limits night driving, especially in the country settings, and is terribly disconcerting. Each time it has been repaired, I then have two to five days of working lights until it happens again. Wiring harnesses have been completely gone over. Lo and behold, we have a solution on the 7th try, and it apparently took a Kia Corporate Master Technician coming into town: when the ashtry is opened and closed, there are two wire connections on the bottom of the ashtry which apparently short out upon the open-close movement. After six full months of frustration, I have been told today the problem is over as those connections have been repaired.
    Visitor, Eagle River, AK, June 01, 2012 18:33
    Have to piggy back on the headlight issue, I have changed out the headlight bulbs routinely, alternating sides. The other huge issue is that I was driving around and lost power steering and the brake light came on, went under the hood and discovered the belts were loose. Started to change out the belts and discovered that the crankshaft bolt had snapped. Took it to Kia figuring it would fall under the warranty and of course, does not becuase it is a 580 part. Now they are awaiting a tool to try and repair my vehicle as well as another with same issue. I have researched online and it seems there are multiple issues with this. Not a happy Sorento customer!
    Visitor, Gary, IN, April 25, 2012 08:15
    there is a big prolem in the head lights and interior lights on this car i really think kia should recall these cars and fix the problem i have a 2003 sorento i love the car but i too have to change the headlights often and my interior libhts come on for no reason this is defently a production problem i would love to get a 2012 sorento but if this is what happens and kia dont want to take responablity then it wont be the car i drive when this one dies. im haveing major electrical problems now and i do believe they should fix it the engine is good i had to replace crankshaft sencor and it to is electrical RECALL
    Visitor, Greeneville, TN, April 11, 2012 10:09
    Just bought a new 2012 Kia Sorento (6 cyl engine) and I love it except: I have a whistle noise coming from the drivers side mirror. Also, it was BAD out of alignment when I drove it off the lot. Picked it up on Friday and was back in shop first thing Monday morning. Did not get problems fixed. It is back in shop as I write this for same issues.
    Visitor, Cumming, GA, April 01, 2012 13:42
    The best SUV's we have even owned, we have an 04 and an 05 and have had to do nothing but regular maintenance. Mine, the 04 has 76K and the original spark plugs and still gets 20-22 MPG. The 05 in still like new and has only 27K on it, if we ever do trade. it'll be for more Sorrento's.
    Visitor, San Juan, PR, March 30, 2012 06:15
    2005 Sorento 2.5L Diesel. Bought 2H @ 20,000km to tow 2.8tonne boat. Does the job superbly. Makes a U-turn with boat trailer attached in very small space. Great. Dealer replaced steering rack early on, and centre diff. No charge. Now done 50,000km & AC has died. Completely. No lights on. No fan even. All fuses seem OK. Not happy. Seat belt light came on recently. Now off again.
    Visitor, Canton, OH, March 09, 2012 05:41
    On a trip to Chicago my drive axle went out...had it fixed while I was there & same thing happened again on the way home. had the car towed to a dealer(not a Kia Dealer.. wasn't one close enough)..service Mgr. said problem was because of lack of tread between front tires & rear...warranty company agreed. Garage in IN told me to have dealer take car out of four-wheel drive & put in two- wheel..did that. Drove it back to IN to be repaired AGAIN..garage repaired...said car was missing the heat shield??? Because of that missing it melted the bushings...they made no mention of the tire issue??? I'm not quite sure what to think!
    jjprue, East Haddam, CT, March 03, 2012 07:07
    2012 Kia sorento drivers side window will not open. I have checked the fuses, all the other windows work.
    Visitor, Myerstown, PA, February 06, 2012 09:21
    will never buy another kia. junk.
    69shark, Pompano Beach, FL, January 16, 2012 13:28
    My two rear brake lights do not work while my high above hatch door light does.I changed the fuse and the two light bulbs. Still does not work Does anyone have any idea?
    Visitor, Fort Drum, NY, December 30, 2011 16:01
    well here goes...have a kia sorrento 2011...startd giving problems back in oct..was takn to a kia place (bn nice)..they ran diagnostics couldnt find anything...came back perfect..so we conttinued to drive it....well the clickn got worse when tryn to start it ...it was all random..but they car was not drivn much..cause it would leave ya stranded...so made an appt at another kia place to get it lookd at....it was acting up really bad 4 days b4 the appt so we just took it in...it was running when i pulld into the bay at the kia place and has not ran since...been a week today since i was there...they have replaced the starter stil not runnin...replaced relay...still not runnin...now they r say its the pcm...but and i say but they r tryn to say bcause we added some components to the stereo system that our warranty may not b valid.that is crazy the problm was reported months ahead of the install..ughhhhh im tryn to deal with this and my boyfriend (his car)is in afghanastan...i truly love kia cars but this is some bull...does any one have any suggestions...according to magnuson-moss warranty act they cant do this...please help
    Visitor, North Wilkesboro, NC, December 20, 2011 12:34
    The headlights are the only issue, so far. Can't see at all on regular beam. Almost seems like riding around with parking lights. I'm constantly using the brights until I can get this fixed.
    Visitor, Tampa, FL, December 15, 2011 15:29
    Bought new in 2004 (2005 model) Steering rack replaced at 5k. Leaking shock replaced at 35k. Radio replaced at 45k. At 60k maint the valve covers were leaking oil and replaced along with squeaky U-joint. Immediately after timing belt replacement the crank shaft pulley fell off. The service technician reused the one time use crankshaft bolt which subsequently sheared off. Replaced crank pulley, dampener, all belts. AC has gone out twice so far. AC control died once $300. Now they need to replace the evaporator (about $1k). 9 brake light replacements. Thin paint is completely eaten up even though it has always been garage kept. The car had 82k on it now and we are giving it away to my son. Lord help him.
    Visitor, Wallkill, NY, November 29, 2011 14:37
    I purchased a 2012 Kia Sorento. I do love the car. The exception is the headlights. The dim lights are sooooooo bad!! The high beams should be the low beams. I drive to work at night and have a hard time when other cars are in the opposite lane. I guess I have to pay extra to purchase better lights. I am not happy about this!
    Visitor, Kansas City, MO, November 26, 2011 09:01
    Bought new in 04. NO big problems,46000 miles. Had to replace front tires and get wheels aligned 10/11. Replaced front rotors in November 2011, had just a little warp feeling in brake pedel.One set of brakes. Nothing else. Car doesn't even need plugs yet.And dealer I bought from Jack Miller Kia, has had it in shop at there request just to check it out. No cost to me. If I had to buy another car, it would be another Sorento!!!!!
    Visitor, Beverly Hills, CA, October 27, 2011 13:15
    Dont buy a KIA Sorento. I have had my car for 3 months and it has been in the shop at least 8 times already. It is a piece of garbage. I hope someone steals it and I never have to see it again.
    Visitor, Winchester, VA, October 24, 2011 09:01
    just junk, cannot say anymore..stay away.
    Visitor, Clintonville, PA, October 07, 2011 12:38
    2005 kia sorento just replaced the gas tank and now everytime i fill up it stalls out and dies and me ???
    Visitor, Tomball, TX, September 21, 2011 13:03
    I have an 05 sorento yea like everyone else i replace the lights every six months when i first purchased the car i was told lights were part of the huge package warrenty deal i had purchased haha! i took it to be fixed the first time and was informed it was an electrical problem? too much juice? i opted for not fixing it it wasnt covered of course! then was charged 65 dollars for labor and 35 for a lightbulb!!!!! really!!!!i am a female and know squat about cars but 110 for a light bulb WTF! i went to Oriely's a local auto store bought a double pack of lightbulbs for .99 and the FEMALE at the register showed me how to change it ! take that kia!!! 110 to .99 yea the mommymobile will ride again!
    Visitor, Laceys Spring, AL, September 20, 2011 05:24
    I have had my 2007 Kia Sorento for about 4 years. I never had any problems out of it until recently, I have replace the same head light 3 times; it seems they last about 6 months. I replaced a sensor that controls the traction control the car was going into the safe engine mode and I had no power just enough to move the car off the road. Now it is making a loud noise not sure what it is from; maybe power steering or water pump I'm guessing.
    Visitor, Brooksville, FL, September 15, 2011 06:19
    I have an 05 Sorento with over twenty two thousand miles and like most of the Kia owners had experienced the same issues. However, the issues with the lights seem to stop when the wiring hardness burned due to short and was replaced at that time because of my driving I was out of warranty so it cost me a bit over 1k. From time to time the brakes feel different and the gas gage goes crazy but over all everything is good. The only mayor repairs on this car were the wiring harness and recently the AC compressor other than that I’ve always used synthetic oil since the beginning, tires, breaks and Spark plugs replacement and I do not let anyone work on the engine until it is needed sometimes we follow the recommended maintenance because we want our investment to last and we end up in the hands of a butcher that can do anything right. In other words “if it ain’t broken don’t fix it”
    Visitor, Los Angeles, CA, August 19, 2011 16:43
    have a 2005 sorento ..after a few years i believe,i have to constantly change the headlights every 6 months,and rear lights just as often,after that many times you forget,now when i use the remote to unlock the doors it makes a loud buzzing noise,good car ,other than those problems
    liajillchris, Boston, MA, June 06, 2011 20:08
    i bought my sorento in december i was so happy. 4 days after buying there was a recall on the breaks which was fixed very quickly. so it was back to normal then i have that defence system on there so i would be notified if it was stolen. well christmas night i got over 32 messages to contact the state police my vehicle had been stolen of course in panic mode then i look outside my house there was my vehicle. then i calmed done because my car was not stolen. then for three weeks after the messages never stopped. called quirk kia they sad call the company of the system it had nothing to do with t hem. it was even bad while i was driving and i was getting the messages. finally after two and a half months they decided to replace the defence system. after that my drivers side window was always getting stuck so i brought it to the dealer to get it fixed they pretty much told me i was crazy they had ran every test possiable and it was fine 1month later it was stuck again and it stayed like that for 3 days so i brought it back into the dealer. still being stuck i was actually very happy so they could see it. they brought it in to work on it they told me that it was my fault they had to replace the motor in the window. that only happens from rapid movement of up and down. you are supposed to wait 5 minutes in between from putting it up and doen. that was great that they actually didnt chage me. now that was almost 2 weeks ago and i was also promised that i would be called when the touch up paint that i had ordered came in. and of course QUIRK KIA is the WORST DEALER EVER and guess what i didnt get my call yet. the car is 6 months old there is still other problems i didnt list save that for a rainy day
    Visitor, Lakeside, CA, April 27, 2011 07:20
    I have purchased mine new also in 05, also tail lights kept blowing out, now headlights are starting to do it. Bigger problem is it just stops running while driving down the road and then starting back up. Can sit at a stop light and it quits takes about 60 seconds to get it to start again. Has been in the shop. They can't seem to find it won't pull a code. Spent a $1000.00 Still doing it. This is very dangerous. Gas gauge goes crazy. I swear it is possessed. Also have had brake problems finally found a mechanic to fix it since Kia couldn't do it. Kia just told me some cars do that and to deal with it.
    Visitor, Parrish, AL, April 05, 2011 06:26
    Love my car, HATE that I have to replace my headlight lamps every other month....I called the Kia dealership in Gardendale Alabama.....I explained what was going on, they replied...."bring it in and we will check it out, BUT we will charge you for it." My gosh, charge me for a problem that seems to be wide spread! come on kia, get your priorities in order! fix YOUR problem! Other than that, I love the car.
    Visitor, Decatur, GA, March 31, 2011 19:19
    Hi, my name is Anthony R. Smith I have A 06 KIA , the check engine light came on I don't know what to do. help me plese . tell me what to do ,thank you.
    Visitor, Vancouver, WA, March 08, 2011 13:16
    Have had the Sorento since new in 2005. I still have less than 50k miles but no problems, a few minor issues but everything was covered under the warranty. My local dealership is really great, never a hasssle about warranty repairs. Vehicle just dropped out of 5 year/50k bumper to bumper to bumper so we'll see how they honor the 10 year/100k powertrain but hopefully I won't ever need it! Good car though.
    Visitor, Kunkletown, PA, March 04, 2011 16:59
    2006 Sorento with same headlight problem everyone else has. Kia's response was the NHTSA has not "forced us" to issue a recall. If enough ownners file a complaint maybe they will recall this car. The headlight problem is a real safety issue. Maybe someone has to die in a nighttime crash. At times, both headlights will go out at once.
    Visitor, Gower, MO, January 24, 2011 13:32
    I bought my car brand new 3 years ago. Correction, we bought two 2008 KIA Sorento's at the same time 3 years ago. Today I have a tad over 15,000 on one and 54,000 miles on the other and I hate it (The one with 54,000 miles). I still have about 46,000 left to go on my engine warranty and now they don't want to honor that. I got stranded in Montana 2 weeks ago. Was told it was the major seal on the back of my motor that popped out. So, it was fixed under my warranty. Then I get back home to Missouri and I started having the same issue. Now I'm being told that I need to replace the whole engine. They told me I can only do that if I can produce my oil change papers. Well, every oil change I've had done has been through Anderson Ford which is who services the KIA's here. But for some reason the last oil change they have on file is for 24,000 miles which is a bunch of crap. Not only that but they only have us listed as owning 1 KIA Sorento and for the KIA with 15,000 miles on it, they don't have all the oil change papers either. So now, they want me to pay out of pocket for my engine when they have completely screwed this all up. So these people can suck on my big toe, take that KIA and shove it right up their woohoo. The only other problem I've ever had with the KIA with 54,000 miles is my headlights. They always seem to burn out. As far as the KIA with 15,000 miles, it's still in good condition. Guess that's because it sits for long periods of time and hardly gets driven (truck driver hard at working driving a big rig). As far as I'm concerned, they don't honor their warranty's, they are rude, inconsiderate people that only see dollar signs on someones forehead.
    Visitor, Metamora, IL, January 19, 2011 11:40
    I am also a 2005 KIA Soento owner and I have also had to replace my headlights & brake lights constantly, drives me bonkers, then my A/C went out. I was also told by the dealership it was front wheel drive inturn it was not ; (
  • 2009 Kia Sorento
    Visitor, Corvallis, OR, January 18, 2011 15:56
    We have purchased a lemon from KIA and they do not honor their warranty. They are very rude and unconcerned about fixing our vehicle. Working with them has been extremely difficult. The BBB gave them 30 days to fix our vehicle and they did not. Now the BBB wants to give them 30 more days since they didn't fix it the first time. This is not acceptable. KIA is a very disappointing company to work with. I would not recommend them to anyone.
    Visitor, Spanaway, WA, December 28, 2010 10:22
    I bought mine Nov 05, it was my third KIA, I love it, 32,000 miles so far. I did replace the original tires last year, but that was my choice, I wanted a little smoother ride. I to have had to replace both of my original headlights once each. Everything else so far so good.
  • 2009 Kia Sorento
    jtrain369, Flint, MI, December 23, 2010 20:05
    ..Update..my sorento now has 16500 one year later..still running good no problems..Ok people my sorento now has 10495 miles on it..im still getting about 17 city and 22 highway.That trim piece along the bottom of the window on rear door drivers side is now popping off again and i have taken to the dealer again to have it replaced which is still under warrenty.I bought my sorento with 24 miles on it brand new..i now have 1800 miles on it 6 weeks later..i love the power and 4x4 living here in michigan it works extremely well..even on the coldest mornings (so far -5) this thing warms up fast..within 4-5 miles of driving its blowing hot air. im averaging 22mpg combined driving..went on a trip to ohio 680 miles total and i got 24mpg highway driving..so does better than what is expected. Ok..my kia is now 4 months old.. i have 5900 miles on it now..my milage has gone down to 18 city 22 highway..i have taken it for some molding that has popped loose..the black rain channel on the roof on the passenger side the front clip broke so it was replaced and the window molding on rear door drivers side along the bottom had a bad clip so when window was rolling up it would pop out of place...anyone out there just a warning!!!!!!!! my service manager told me all cosmetics on the kia needs to be fixed in 1 yr 12,000 miles for it to be covered under warrenty..no other problems still love my kia...
    Visitor, Ironwood, MI, December 12, 2010 09:05
    ill never buy 1 again!!!!!
    Dasco, Little Mountain, SC, December 06, 2010 12:42
    Great vehicle, only issues have been: - Poor highway MPG - Paint flaking off on spoiler and both mirrors. - Frequent replacing of bulbs for headlights and brake lights.
    DallasGal, Lewisville, TX, November 17, 2010 18:53
    I have a 2003 Kia Sorento EX w/ upgrades. I love the car but over the years and now with 125,000 miles there are lots of minor issues with trim, seating, carpet. The interior lights go on/off to where I lose the dashlights unless I jiggle the roller wheel on the driver's side. Kia dealership quoted me several hundred dollars to LOOK at this to tell me what was wrong and overall could be $500 or could be $1500+ of electrical repairs to fix the dashlights/interior lights. I replace headlights in my Kia about every six months. Engine is good and have had very little trouble with it. Noticed that AC this year is not working that well and does not get very cool. Have had to replace the water reservoir 3 times due to cracking. Suspension is good although I've had repairs done to the the suspension...very costly!
    Visitor, Woonsocket, RI, November 15, 2010 08:49
    i have a 04 sorento and its got 60k miles. i too have changed the headlights at least 10 times and tail lights about 4 times. the clock loses power and resets all the time. my overdrive dont even work. took it to the dealer and they said its ok as long as i dont tow anything. i fill up my gas and the gauge dont work properly. just seems like everything is electrical. just so happens that the electrical warranty is 40k miles. about a month ago front drive shaft went out. luckily it was still under warranty. also heater did not work properly. would start the car up in the winter only to find out that the heater doesnt get hot until i give it gas. got it fixed about a year ago and now its still doing the same thing. i would not recommend buying a kia. this is my last one.
    pclisao, Panama City, FL, November 14, 2010 21:11
    I bought my kia used, it was a year old. I too have replaced the headlights repeatedly as well as the brake lights. I just found a recall for the brake lightswitch.My electrical system is all messed up though check engine light is on, front wipers came on and wont go off I had the switch replaced and the wiper motor but that didin't help, they are still going.
    BlueEyes, Hazlehurst, GA, November 14, 2010 21:11
    I purchased my 2006 Kia Sorento new in June 2006. Everything worked fine for a little over a year. In Sept 2007 I had a headlight to go out. Since that time (Sept 2007 to present) I have replaced the headlights 13 times almost always alternating between the left and right lights. I have also replaced my brake lights 4 times, 2 on each side. In addition, I only have 1 light that is still burning in my center console. My heating and air system is also confused. With the dial set on the upper vents, air continues to blow from the floor vents and vice-versa. I also had to replace all 4 tires because my Kia came from the factory with negative camber which caused my tires to wear unevenly. Even though I had my tires rotated, the repair shop never clued my in until the tires were too far gone. Other than these problems I've had seemingly good luck with my Kia considering I've put 102,000 miles on it in 3 year.
    Visitor, Sacramento, CA, November 09, 2010 13:31
    I love my Kia Sorrento, 2004...but am repulsed by Kia Dealerships and their service centers. On my way to work recently I noticed that my air bag warning lamp came on. In the owners manual, it states to take your vehicle directly to a Kia authorized dealership or service center when the air bag warning lamp comes on for an immediate inspection to avoid automatic airbag inflation or faulty air bag inflation in accident. I did just that and guess what....they would not inspect my airbag unless I paid them a diagnostic fee of $110. they said it is store policy that they cannot even look under the hood unless a customer pays the diagnostic fee. I asked, "So you want me to pay you $110 fee to tell me something is wrong with my airbag and SRS system, even though the light is on telling me there is.....? And theservice clerk said yes, and then he would be able to confirm the cost to fix the problem. I took my car to the Autozone by my house and the clerk there tested my starter and battery, telling me sometimes starters and faulty batteries can cause the air bag light to come on....and after 30 seconds he confirmed that my starter would probably need to be replaced. I had the starter replaced and the air bag light never came on again. Do you think Kia could have told me that a faulty starter is probably the cause and do a simple test for me? Nope, they want their $$$$ first and foremost, to heck with my safety, nor did they value me as a customer......
    larandy, Landrum, SC, November 02, 2010 21:00
    2006 bought new kia sorento $25,000 headlights/taillights/turn signal lights/brakes/ air cond. system replacement/ radio(always sounds fuzzy) repairs/ wiper issues/ etc. $5 gazillion dollars watchin the piece of s**t sink in the river..... PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Visitor, Maple Valley, WA, September 06, 2010 13:43
    I purchased my Kia Sorento LX in 2004 brand new. Over the years I have replaced at least 15 headlights and multiple tail lights, the coolant reservoir busted and was replaced, Both front seat belt harnesses were also replaced while under warranty because they no longer retracted. I can't keep it in alignment and now I have transmission issues. I am skeptical of taking it to a dealer because I have never been treated with anything but disdain from KIA. When I first got my car and to this day there is a sound that engages as soon as you start to move either forward or back when starting the car. The repair facility told me it was my anti-lock brakes - but I believe it is something to do with the transmission since all the other anti-lock brakes I have ever had do not make noise! What a JOKE - a 100,000 mile warranty - KIA does NOT stand behind their product.
    Surf, Elkton, MD, September 01, 2010 17:06
    I bought my 2006 Kia from a car rental company and except for the Headlight problem like the other owners here and the spark plug ordeal it has been a great car. The headlight problem I solved by changing brands of bulbs, I spent a hundred bucks on Sylvania bulbs and when I switched to G.E. bulbs my problem was solved. The spark plug ordeal is only for those who change their own, you have to take the carb off to replace one plug, so if you are going to replace the plugs yourself buy a carb gasket before you start ! Other that normal wear and tare it has been problem free so far, fingers crossed, LOL! Hope this helps other owners, wish I had known before I spent the money on several bulbs and a carb gasket.
    Visitor, Shoshoni, WY, August 30, 2010 11:05
    I had issues after issues with my lights and electrical. Gas light would come on even though I had a full tank of gas. Interior lights only worked part of the time. Worst issue was when my teenaged children were driving and involved in a rollover crash at 65 mph's and not one air bag deployed. My son was seriously hurt and air lifted to the hospital. They both had their seatbelts on as they had marks from them but neither seatbelt stayed locked. I will never own another KIA.
    mkc2326, Homosassa, FL, August 28, 2010 07:29
    i brought my kia and with the 1st 30 days they had to replace my heads on i did buy this used for a good dealer now my a/c is gone and my valve cover gasket is leaking I HATE MY TRUCK
    Visitor, Ridgefield, CT, July 24, 2010 15:17
    I have an 2006 Kia Sorento. Aside from replacing a headlight and having had it sit too long on the lot before purchase(rotors warped) it was fine until I was on a 4 lane highway at rush hour with cars buzzing by and the front driveshaft bolt came out.and banged at the under carriage of the car. Before I could tell what was happening, I find myself stuck in the left lane - car going no where. Fortunately, I lived to tell the tale. Waiting to hear what KIA has to say. 49,000 miles.
    Visitor, Boerne, TX, July 12, 2010 06:06
    I purchased the 2006 Kia new in 2006. I have replaced both headlights and one taillight. I have no other trouble with the vehicle. I have just over 75,000 miles.
    Visitor, Cherryville, NC, July 01, 2010 05:58
    Bought a used 2004 Kia with 53K on it, during the first 30 days it had to have a new coolant tank (no heat) and a Throttle Position Sensor. Since then, the compressor on the A/C went out (covered under extended warranty thank GOD), and now tires are wearing on inside of tire and I had it aligned TWICE and it STILL pulls HARD to the right. I'm getting the two front tires replaced and taking it back in if it is still pulling to right after new tires and balancing. Just one blown light for me so far. Otherwise I really like the vehicle overall.
    Jackieduarte750, Lowell, MA, June 30, 2010 17:01
    Do not buy a KIA. I bought this used at 40,000 miles, 2 yrs ago. Since then, here are the repairs I had to eat the cost: Engine, tires, brakes, antifreeze container, starter, battery, water hose, 2 wheel barrings, and various other little issues with the KIA still leaking antifreeze, oh and I changed the headlights, tailights. wow.
    Visitor, Denver, CO, June 25, 2010 12:28
    I haven't had as many electrical problems as others BUT... Bought new in 2004, 7 miles on the car. It was fine until about 6 months from when it was paid off. Since August 2009, I have had to replace the timing belt, brakes, among other things and now it's in the shop again. There was a recall on the crank shaft bolt but not including the 2004's, how convenient. FIRST AND LAST Kia. In addition it can't idle for more than 2 seconds without shaking like a leaf.
    Visitor, Section, AL, June 20, 2010 16:48
    Bought my car used. I have replaced headlights and rear lights over and over. Wiper motor went out had it replaced now air conditioner has stopped blowing air. I have had it with this car and drives me crazy section Alabama
    12262, Middlesboro, KY, May 08, 2010 18:20
    having problems with motor check engin light keeps coming on 60000 miles had to change front drive shaft not cheap motor keeps having a cold miss in it kia machnics cant even find
    Visitor, Roanoke, VA, May 03, 2010 17:23
    I bought this vehicle new in 2005. Same as noted by other owners-many headlight and brake light replacements. The vehicle developed an annoying rattle near the rear left door about six months after I bought this vehicle. The shop can fix it but the fix only lasts about 4 months. Only one mechanic in the shop can fix it. If he is not in the shop the other mechanics say they dont hear it. It is a common question by guests - what is that rattle. All said and done it has been a dependable vehicle.
    Visitor, Chicago, IL, April 14, 2010 14:25
    2003 Kia Sorento steering problems and no dash lights other then that car runs godd headlights has benn changed at least 20 times or more.
    Visitor, Mililani, HI, April 06, 2010 03:24
    Got my Kia new in 2008. So far i've only had one problem, which is the passenger airbag sensor. Seems to go on or off when it feels like. This wasn't anywhere near the top of my list of cars to buy, but I'm happy to say that i haven't had any problems with it. I've actually come to enjoy it. It drives really nice and smooth, AND i can fit into almost any parking space! which is a nice change from the Yukon that I had.
    LWaylett, Decatur, TX, March 24, 2010 18:19
    KIA Motors is NOT customer friendly. I have had nothing but trouble with making them honor the warranty on my vehicle. My 2004 Sorento has blown one exterior light after another since I purchased the vehicle in 2005. Kia at first refused to pay for the bulbs, saying they were not covered under warranty. Finally they did not charge for the bulbs (that went out over and over). Now, my Kia warranty has expired and I find out NOW that Kia knew all along there is a defect with the wiring harness, but they NEVER EVER replaced those on my vehicle. Are you kidding me? I have never in my 50 years had any service provider know what a problem was on a warrantied item and just flat out refuse to fix it, until KIA. They have lost my business forevermore over just that. I have to wonder how many more KIA owners are being screwed over by service personnell who really know how to fix a reoccurring problem with the Kia vehicle, but just won't FIX IT! BEWARE, BEWARE, BEWARE of Kia service warranties, service contracts and dealers. They are now the most dishonest people I have ever had the displeasure of having to deal with. Very unprofessional, and they will side step any issue. The dealership I deal with has been HUFFINES KIA in Denton, TX. Even KIA MOTORS will not step up and pay now to make the correct fix for my cars problems with the lights. They had every opportunity to fix the problem while my warranty was in effect, but they simply "band aided" and refused to make the correct repairs. UNBELIEVABLE! Heed my warning: STAY AWAY FROM KIA!!
    jcsbsn, O'Fallon, MO, March 10, 2010 20:14
    I have a 2006 Kia Sorento which I purchased used in 2007. Since owning the vehicle I have replaced 3 headlights, can't even count how many brake lights. The dome light doesn't come on when you open the door. The cargo axillary outlet stopped working in 2007, the cigarette outlet stopped working in 2008. I had to replace all 4 tires in 2009 and now in 2010 the rear wiper blade doesn't work. I just replaced the driver's headlight on friday, it is now wednesday and guess what... same light is out again. I would NEVER recommend this car to anyone... I'm gonna go back to buying the Honda... those cars last forever with no problems!
    kcarkz, Union City, GA, January 13, 2010 14:59
    I purchased my 2005 Sorento brand new in 05. This has been a great car considering, I drive 2000 miles a month to work and travel all over, when I can. The only problem are the headlights, fog lights and brake lights. I have changed them all several times. Other than that.. Buy one, just stock up on replacement bulbs.
    ripped off by kia, Ringgold, GA, November 27, 2009 18:46
    Kia refuses to admit there is a problem with headlights on their sorentos. Amazingly, when I called a kis mechanic and said I had replaced NUMEROUS headlights, his immediate respnse was - and I quote - " you have a sorento made between 2004 and 2006, don't you" Interesting how there "is no problem" but the mechanic knew not only the model, but the year of the car without being told. He also said they fixed the problem on the 2007's...what problem? I thought there wasn't a problem! I have had the car a little over 4 years and have replaced 14 headlights and 3 tail lights!
    reesecup, Sacramento, CA, October 07, 2009 13:47
    i bought my car used 8 months ago,the only issue i had was my brake lights going out,had to replace them once and my headlight just went out all of a sudden,otherwise i have no complaints,she rides lovely on the highway for those long trips.she's the best car i ever had
    dw4144, Amarillo, TX, July 25, 2009 12:04
    Great car. Bought it for the Mrs. She loves it. Never breaks down. Minor issues, but not enough to change my ratings.
    JBra, Tullahoma, TN, March 17, 2009 11:50
    Bought 05 Sorento in April 2005 for my wife, great car for 1 year, good car for 3 years. We had to replace headlights and brake lights quite frequently, fuel usage was better than advertised for 1 year, but has been going down hill, still good though. Recently, the rear windshield wiper stopped working in mid swipe, with no way of getting back to its holding position. we have recently had the A/C stop blowing cold air. we are pending fixes on these.
    AprilM., Florence, SC, January 18, 2009 11:50
    I haven't had this car a year yet and the A/C compressor makes a loud knocking sound when switched on, the front dome light doesn't work, the tailgate shocks squeek, the ESC light comes on saying "off" when I haven't switched it off, the passenger air bag sensor works when it wants to, check engine light is on, and the brake switch under the brake petal has gone out causing me to have NO brake lights.
    kwarr, Melbourne, FL, October 05, 2008 08:12
    Absoulutely wonderful. The headlights have both been replaced, but no other issues of any kind. I love it.