Reviews for Kia Optima years:

Kia Optima Reviews and Owner Comments

Kia OptimaOwner Reviews (48 reviews)
    Visitor, Elizabethtown, PA, November 08, 2014 00:09
    Bought my 2004 Kia Optima LX 4 cylinder in 2008. Had basically NO problems with it at all till 2014. Door locks would occasionally not want to lock or unlock from inside and outside, as well as, with key or door lock buttons. CD player would not always take in CD or would spit it out on it's own. Seem to go through breaks often and gas mileage not what was expected. 2014 - Engine all of a sudden died at 125K. Kept up with maintenance all the years I had it too. Replaced engine with a used 58K mile engine. Nothing but trouble since. Goes through oil like crazy, sometimes just won't start, will need to put it in neutral to get it to start, headlights and taillights will all of a sudden not turn on. Was great before this. Now I wish I would have just bought another car, but now I put so much money into it, can't afford to get another.
    Visitor, Raleigh, NC, October 28, 2014 09:56
    174K I have changed the oil every 5K only second set of brakes, 28MPG, I wish AM radio worked better
  • 2013 Kia Optima
    Visitor, York, PA, June 23, 2014 14:55
    Great car exception gas millage isn't what they say at least not on my car 2013 optima ex average is about 18-22 mpg locally. thatsback on country roads. other then that great car. drives, handles great, excellent excellaration, very fast pickup , love the standard features although my has some s on a options, stops on a dime. rides smooth. would buy another instantly, would and have recommended to friends and family as well as others, traded a 2008 toyota camery in on by far out does the camery. very happly pleased.
  • 2014 Kia Optima
    Visitor, Gold canyon, AZ, May 02, 2014 15:04
    Steering is ultra sensitive. If I even think about changing lanes I am already there. Can be very scary. Cruise control was on, had to stop for construction. Continued on after about 10 minutes and could not even get the indicator light on the dash to come on, let alone the cruise control itself. Alarm has gone off several times for no reason. AM radio (that's all I listen to) is horrible. Static increases as I increase speed. Usually cannot hear anything but the static. Blue tooth reception is less than stellar.
    Visitor, Youngstown, NY, January 30, 2014 19:23
    160k motors blown. I baby this car ty kia for your lemon
    Visitor, Lexington, SC, January 27, 2014 06:00
    Wife has had 2005 Optima 6cylinder since new. Problems experienced same as screamed about elsewhere: head light bulbs blow out: USE ONLY FACTORY BULBS - after market last moments; Door lock system malfunctioned. Fortunately wife uses key - horror stories elswhere where locks engage when they want to and will not allow exit from vehicle - safety complaint considered minor by NHWSA (sic?) Oh yes, lots of reports elsewhere where straps holding fuel tank rub (and trap salt no doubt) causing holes & fuel leaks. Now big problem: Leave vehicle for a week or two and battery is drained. Dealer claimed it was the audio amp that was defective. I replaced it. Six months later same deal. "Technicians" in the dark, one voice from the tombs said "the go to sleep switch is not switching" because current continues to flow when all is turned off. Now wasting time doing their job. Otherwise nice car
    Visitor, Lakeport, CA, December 23, 2013 09:12
    I paid off my 2004 Kia Optima Lx...I sure regret not trading this piece of junk in. My problems with this car is once in a while my key won't open my trunk...the whole passenger side of the car front & back the electrical doesn't work ..this pile of junk is a bad car period. Anyone interested in buying a Kia vehicle better think again....
    Visitor, Potwin, KS, June 30, 2013 19:42
    I paid my car off. Now I feel like my car is falling apart. First themg key wouldn't turn and the wheel was not lock. My dad sprayed some wd40 in their key whole and it worked again. I don't know what that was about Don't care because it works now. When I use to open the car door and take the key out the head lights usued to go out now it don't. Wish I new why, I am so use to it going out by it self that I keep leaving the lights on. Next thing is I need a timing belt. O year and then light in my radio keeps cutting on and off by it self. I think my ac is about to kick out it keeps jumping on and off by it self to. I don't think I should of paid my car off. It only has 70thounds miles on it. I guess these problems are normal.really don't know.
    Visitor, Inkster, MI, April 02, 2013 08:50
    th1s car has prerformed well so far. I have about 110.000 miles on it, my wife was driving it the engine cut off and it wouldent start up again. After waiting about an hour I tried to start it again the engine turned as though it was draging and then the starter began to click.I thought that it needed a starter.The deaqler installed a starter it still wouldent start. Now they tell me that the engine is bad and it will cost $4000.00 to repair I cant believe it..
    Visitor, New London, CT, March 27, 2013 14:40
    My 2006 Kia Optima interior lights recently stopped working. Driver side door does not unlock after locking( have to use key)Passenger side door will not open at all. After reading some of the reviews this vehicle overall(all years) is not a good vehicle.
    Visitor, Traverse City, MI, March 05, 2013 18:50
    2006.6 kia optima -62,000 miles. problems with my lights too. have to replace the front headlights about 2 times a year. back lights have had to be replaced too. tires were leaking alot from the very start- still happens but not as much. had to replace the breaks at 25,000 miles and twice since then- front and back. shocks and strutts replaced, now i have a leaking intake gasket.
    Visitor, Loxley, AL, February 10, 2013 12:57
    HAVE TO REPLACE LIGHTS INSIDE AND OUT VERY OFTEN. MOST RECENTLY, I THINK THERE IS AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM SINCE MY BRAKE LIGHT AND BLINKER WILL NOT WORK WHEN THE HEADLIGHTS ARE ON. DURING THE DAY, IF ITS EXTREMLY BRIGHT OUTSIDE, ITS STILL HARD TO SEE BRAKE LIGHTS. IT SEEMS LIKE HEADLIGHTS ARE GETTING DIMMER AS TIME GOES ON. HAVE CHANGED ALL BULBS AND FUSES, NOTHING IS FIXING THE PROBLEM. I THINK KIA NEEDS TO STEP UP AND ADMIT THAT THERE IS SOMETHING DEFECTIVE IN THE LIGHTING ON THESE MODELS. THE INSIDE LIGHTS EITHER WON'T COME ON OR WON'T GO OFF. TOOK TO MECHANIC AND TOLD THAT THEY COULD NOT FIND A REASON FOR THIS TO BE HAPPENING. IF ANYONE HAS A SOLUTION PLEASE EMAIL ME! CASEYC304@YAHOO.COM
    Visitor, Havelock, NC, December 22, 2012 13:37
    made it to 97k miles with no problems other than changing breaks 1 time and battery 1 time. driver seat was wearing fast. no hols just caved in/flat. handled great. good gas millage. no signs of problems. it has been wrecked twice. fist was a head on collision, no air bag deployment. 2nd was 80 on interstate and no air bags. great car, no problems
    Visitor, Poulsbo, WA, December 03, 2012 12:27
    I have the 6 cyl model. The car now has 100,000 miles. No troubles yet. The paint on the door handles has come off. No oil leaks, no brake job yet, still runs well.
    Visitor, Gilmer, TX, December 02, 2012 20:05
    we have a 2005 kia optima, while we were headed to a dr appointment, it started fine early that morning, about 6 a.m. stoppped got something to eat, started just fine, got to the VA hospital, pulled up to let my husband out of the car, I killed it, tried to start it, all it did was click, it hasnt started since, we were told probably the starter, changed out the starter, it still does the same thing as it did before we replaced the starter. any clue???
    Visitor, Linden, IN, September 21, 2012 06:51
    I have 90,000 miles and I have occured no problems other than replacing brakes and battery. Great car for the money. I have never once had problems with service or warranty.
  • 2010 Kia Optima
    Caleb_2010 Optima, Astoria, OR, June 19, 2012 01:16
    The car has been great overall. Meets my needs and is fun to drive. My only observation is that it shifts out way too quickly in drive occasionally leaving you with no power. It is not uncommon for it to shift all the way into fifth before reaching 35 mph. I usually remedy this by using the sport shift when I anticipate that I will need more power.
    Visitor, Maryville, TN, January 15, 2012 03:26
    My wife and I both have 2009 KIA Optimas, The only issue that we have had we had it with both cars. If you have the headlights on and park and turn off the ignition swith and exit the car 99% of the time all the lights will go off. The other 1% of the time the parking lights will stay on. This is most inconvinent since sometimes you do not notice the parking lights still being on. The dealer has no idea why this is happening. Anyone else have this issue with their KIA Optima?
    Visitor, Portland, OR, November 13, 2011 19:16
    Optima 2007 Kia - No problems other than one replacement headlight and one tailight. Just bought new tires last year at 56,000 miles. Am anticipating the timing belt replacement at 60-65,000 miles. Gas mileage as expected-way better than my 2000 Ford Ranger I was driving. Car dealership prices in Oregon very high compared to Goodyear or other service centers. Dealerships gotcha coming and going. Overall, ride is smooth, seating is comfortable and get raves from backseat passengers on the comfort and leg room of the back seat area. So far so good - but not getting too comfortable based on other posts of what can go wrong.
    Visitor, Blairsville, GA, October 07, 2011 14:41
    i bought a so called life time kia (they really push the ideal of lifetime but its a croack) i have 47,000 miles on my car and a rod or piston is knocking in it and since i missed three oil changes they wanted me to pay like a thousand dollars to tear the engine apart and see if local rep. will ok to replace engine and i dont get my money back, but the dealership said that i would end up paying for intire engine and labor which is bs someone needs to stop them for advertizing lifetime kia because that is bs lifetime warranty means if it tires up they fix it. i will never own another kia and when i get it fixed, out of my own pocket i will excerise my right on the lemon law and put a lemon sign in the back glass take my advise stay away from lifetime kia if they will not stand behind there product better than that i dont need one, they tried to tell me that ford and chevy reguired a complete service history too but i call a chevy dealership and they said they have never asked for a service history kia needs to wake up and stand behind there product because i meet poeple every week that tell me they will never own another one, im going back a chevy
    Visitor, San Diego, CA, September 14, 2011 17:18
    I recently bought a 2005 Kia Optima after driving my Sportage to the grave. Car has run great, good gas mileage, great stereo, just recently it started making a funny clunking noise from the front left tire area, and a equally strange whirling noise from the front of the engine. Going to the shop. I love this car, I really loved my Sportage, mini-me mercedes, 4x4, 5 speed. Always started, overhead cam seal was leaking and I didn't take it to the garage.
  • 2011 Kia Optima
    Visitor, Orange, CT, August 03, 2011 19:01
    Love the look and feel of this car; purchased in March of this year. But, two major inconveniences: I noticed within one day of driving off the lot that the car pulled to the left. Brought it back, dealer realigned it; etc, but it still has a pull to the left. This appears to be a common problem with this vehicle. Now, the ESC light is staying on and on top of it my gear shift locks up from time to time, and I need to use the shift lock release button behind the shift handle to engage it. With only 7k miles on it and 6 months into it, this has been a headache. I take it into the Dealer tomorrow for repair of the last two issues. Aside from these issues, which are not minor, I love everything else about the car. Would I purchase again, knowing all this? No.
    Visitor, Beeville, TX, July 26, 2011 21:26
    I love my kia but have a problem with the engine shaking right after we had the spark plugs and the 2 belts that are suppose to be replaced at 60k. the mechanic thinks it is a motor mount but it did not shake like that when i drove it into the shop only when i drove it out. what could of possibly happend during that time that a motor mount on the right passenger side would malfunction by just being worked on.
  • 2011 Kia Optima
    Visitor, Catharpin, VA, April 15, 2011 16:01
    I have a 2011 Kia Optima EX. Since the first day the car is pulling to the left. The dealer cannot fix as well as the KIA tech. I understaood that a lot of 2011 Kia Optima have the same problem.
    Visitor, San Diego, CA, March 13, 2011 05:39
    57000 miles and no problems
    Visitor, Gouverneur, NY, February 10, 2011 17:34
    My Mom and I had the same Kia Optima 2005 purchased with in a year or so mine new hers used with about 13,000 miles. I had trouble with the headlights blowing-in the 3 years I had the car I changed 2 every 6 months or so. My moms did the same thing. We started carrying an extra bulb due to being pulled over with a head light out!! We were fortunate enough to hear of the time belt issue before it became a tragic event and had them replaced. I did have to have a sensor replaced (I have forgotten which one) Break pads and rotars were changed regularly, the repair shop had to beat them off with a hammer once after only 8 months of being on the car. The breaking point for me was last winter, my back tires would seize up and not turn, the first few times we were able to break them free by driving forward then reversing to release the break, took it to the shop a couple times no reason could be found. Then both tires seized I could not even move the car, they removed the Emergency brake and I did not have the issue again. My Mom in the past week has been having the same issue, today she had to have the car loaded on a ramp truck due to the tire being seized. I traded my car, not for a Kia. I liked it in the beginning but began to feel like things were going wrong...in a BIG way...and no small shops in our area know about the car to fix them. The dealer is not a reasonable distance for repairs, or to have it towed there. I loved it when I got it, reasonably priced and great gas mileage. But in the end the issues were so much of a hassle and beginning to get expensive.
  • 2010 Kia Optima
    gjoneslovi, Atlanta, GA, January 31, 2011 06:59
    My wife's car, she fell in love with it from start, mileage okay, comfortable for her,and sound system okay too. Handled well on long distance trips, took it to Virginia-Maryland, ride was smooth enough for small car. It's a little tight for me, but if she's happy I'm happy too. So far so good, we are happy with it.
    Visitor, Pflugerville, TX, January 18, 2011 01:00
    We've had our '09 Kia Optima for almost a year and a half now and are very happy with it. Only 16k city miles in, but it runs/looks/feels pretty much brand new. Would love to upgrade to the nice, new '11 model...but this one is working out so well. I'll be happy with this '09 for another 2 years and 20k+ miles. Kia has got to be the most improved auto manufacturer since, well....Hyundai.
    Visitor, Warrenton, VA, January 15, 2011 05:46
    I have an 07 Kia Optima and I absolutely LOVE my car! It's so quiet and smooth and consumer reports gave the highest marks for the Optima to the 07 model. Other than routine maintenance (and having the ECU updated, under warranty) I haven't had ANY problems. No brake issues, which is a huge change to my first car! The warranty that Kia offers is definitely one of the best! NEVER GOING BACK!
    Visitor, Spirit Lake, IA, December 26, 2010 06:47
    Started out loving everything about this car! Bought it off the showroom floor in March of 09 with only 11 miles on it and it drove amazing! Not even 2 years later and the car acts like it is 10 or even 20 years old. The suspension that I loved so much brand new is now incredibly rough on even the smoothest of roads and the handling is very sloppy like a huge floating Buick or something. The newest disappointment is that while slowing down for a stop sign or corner and braking the automatic transmission downshifts extremely hard from 2nd to 1st gear; feels like I am driving into a brick wall the shift is so rough, it even activates the ABS system when the road is snowy! It is insane, but the rest of the car, the not so important parts, work and look great.
    joelburke26, New Castle, PA, December 15, 2010 18:09
    not a bad car just real hard on rotors and pads.
    kellyG1991, Simpsonville, SC, November 30, 2010 23:14
    My Kia Optima motor is now gone!! Unfortunatly I had no knowledge to get the timing belt replaced after 70K miles, at 108K miles with no problems prior, I have to replace the motor! The only other problem is the air condition broke after 70K miles. I hear this problem with most Kia owners! They need to fix this problem as well. I will never purchase another Kia! 2006 Not a good model year for Kia!
    Visitor, Anoka, MN, November 26, 2010 18:14
    Bought an 05 Optima LX - ran great first 2 years, no problems at all. The breaks suck. I've had to replace the pads and rotors twice now within 1 1/2 years, second time had to replace the calipers because they were sticking and wore down the pads & ruined the rotors. Light bulbs are also a huge problem. I'm changing them several times a year. I've had other cars that I owned for 3+ years and never had a light go out. I think it has electrical problems! Car is in shop right now - flat tire (my 3rd now due to a bad seal) and radiator or water pump leak, not sure yet. Plus they recommended changing the timing belt and after what I've read here, I'll bite the bullet and pay up. For all the money I've sunk into this car, I could have had something much better. I initially loved this car, but now am very disappointed at how quickly it is deteriorating. I won't buy another KIA.
    Visitor, Jacksonville, NC, September 24, 2010 13:18
    I'm at 57,000 miles and my engine is blown. Because I didn't get my vehicle maintenanced at a KIA dealership and my oil filter is not a KIA part, my warrenty is void. someone help!
    madgow, Anchorage, AK, September 19, 2010 11:52
    Decent car, a little anemic coming up the hill to my house. If I buy another I'll definately get the six cylinder, not the four. It does handle well, but you need studded tires in the winter.
    a316gmom, Simpsonville, SC, September 19, 2010 10:56
    I traded my 04 Sorento in for my 2006.5 optima when gas prices soared. I thought I was settling, boy was I ever wrong! I love everything about this car, totally loaded with an infinity sound system that will blow your mind. I have over 75k miles and have enjoyed driving every one of them. I haven't had any problems whatsoever with either KIA. Mt optima drives and almost looks just like it did the day I drove it off the lot. It's also the first car that has made me stop looking forward to getting a new car, I want this one to last forever. I have yet to need brakes. I've always taken it to the dealer for services and oil changes. I've found that KIA dealerships are cheaper than the jiffylubes and if anything happens I have the peace of mind that I'm covered. The only minor aggravation was my headlights burning out. Figured that problem out, I was buying the best Advance Auto carried, well my car didn't like those. The last set I replaced came from the dealership, genuine KIA headlights, they're still burning bright! And a lot cheaper!! I had the window vents installed from KIA on the day of purchase, guess what, they're covered under the warranty too. That's right, any KIA option you add will be under warranty. And lastly, safety is a big deal in my book so the standard side airbags, while the other makers had them as an option, put KIA number one on my list.
    Visitor, Altoona, PA, September 14, 2010 11:01
    i have had this car for 3 yrs bought it in 07 so far i have had nothing but trouble with it . every 3 months i had to replace the headlight bulb it wd shhot altogether i put in 10 headlight bulbs i replaced just as many turn signal bulbs . now the wheel bearing is bad & the power steering unit is bad ,will never buy another kia agai worse car i ever owned .
    Visitor, Salem, VA, August 26, 2010 21:29
    Love my Kia but 30,000 mile service is high from dealer. Gotta love the car though.
    Visitor, Chicago, IL, April 26, 2010 19:58
    I LOVE KIA....GREAT IN GAS, COMFORTABLE, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. My first car was a 2004 Kia Optima, I had no problems with it, I even drove it to Mexico. I traded it in for a 2007 Kia Optima I absolutely love it...
    Visitor, Cartersville, GA, April 12, 2010 14:17
    I will never purchase a KIA again This car will go out of park if the e brake is not set I have met three other owners with this problem If you hit a bump the rear end bottoms out One cannot read the indicator lights when the sun is out Prices for replacement parts are a joke when you can find them Factory tires are worn out in least the 20k miles Ones has to take off the fender to replace the headlights Even with an appointment, the free oil changes will take 3hours and more
  • 2003 Kia Optima
    HOTRODDON, Nashville, TN, February 21, 2010 05:48
    I HAVE OWNED TIS CAR FOR TWO YEARS IT HAD 13,000 ON IT WHEN WE GOT IT WERE AT 80,000 NOW AND THE ONLY THING I HAVE REPLACED IS THE FACTORY BATTERY AWESOME CAR I HAVE BEEN A ASE MASTERTECH FOR YEARS AND EVEN THO IM A DIEHARD BOWTIE FAN THIS CAR IS AWESOME THE PADDLE SHIFT IS AWESOME FOR DAILY TRAFFIC
    athershfeld, Benton, KY, January 15, 2010 17:48
    great all around car
    af5173, Palm Springs, CA, December 17, 2009 11:26
    Excellent machine for the money. Two minor problems: factory battery failed after 18 months; am radio reception is poor.
    TopKat, Irvington, NJ, October 20, 2009 19:33
    Recently had to have my crank shaft sensor replaced. The car would cut off while driving it. Finally took it to a Kia dealership and they found the problem. However, this is a time consuming repair. They had to take out the engine and while they were there they replaced some belts. The crank chaft sensor was covered by the warranty but I still paid with new belts, etc around $700 including labor. This is the most expensive repair I've paid for and I've had the car for at least 2 years. I did have to have the gas tank replaced last year. It was rotted and was leaking gas. Not sure if I would buy another Kia.
    TPguy, Duluth, GA, June 21, 2009 13:30
    Owned since April 2006. Bought new from dealer for traveling job as telecommunication field engineer. Vehicle is LX with 4 cylinder and automatic. Odometer reading at this time is 168,177. Have replaced timing belt twice (~60,000 miles/replacement) and expect to replace it again around 180,000 miles. Repairs - Driver's side headlight unit and AC condenser (both under warranty), Battery at 120,000 miles. Oil pressure sensor at 140,000 miles. Current problems: 1 - Heating/AC blower motor stopped working yesterday. Will get it repaired this week. 2 - Engine requires High Mileage oil (20W-50) due to mileage and many hours of idling. Using regular oil (10W-40) allows the oil pressure light to come on at idle. Have done oil changes every 3000 miles and all other preventative maintenance as required. I would have rated the engine higher due to its demonstrated reliability but set it lower due to the timing belt maintenance issue. While I would buy another KIA, I would make sure it didn't have such a high cost low mileage preventative maintenance requirement. It is my understating that KIA has gone with a longer lasting timing belt in it's new vehicles. Overall I've found the car to be comfortable, competent and reliable. Repairs have always been done at a KIA service shop and I use Express Lube for all other preventative maintenance.
    1Canuck, Kenosha, WI, January 28, 2009 10:37
    I've owned my 2004 Kia Optima LX (4cyl) for a few years now and have put about 45K miles on it). Outstanding car, great value for the money. No major problems on mine, but I am religious about preventative maintenance. With the Optima make sure you replace the timing belt every 50K-60K miles, as they have an 'interference' motor, so if your belt breaks on you, it'll be cheaper to buy an entirely new engine rather than fix your broken one. Experienced one minor annoyance with the car when replacing the headlight bulbs, the clip that holds the bulb in place is very difficult to get at so I actually had to go to my dealer to have the bulbs put in so that was annoying. I have tracked my gas mileage on each and every tank of gas since I bought this car and have averaged 27mpg mixed city and hwy driving. Have been as high as 33mpg on highway driving on long trips. Brakes are not the strongest feature of this car, but they're not necessarily bad either, just average at best. Would definitely recommend this car to someone who is considering buying one, just remember the warning about the timing belt as these units do have a bad reputation for the OEM belts breaking at about 60K miles. So, spend the $400 or so to get a new belt put in as a preventative measure rather than risk a $1K-$2k repair bill to fix one after it's broken.
    RayEMan, Queen Creek, AZ, January 15, 2009 11:48
    I have been impressed with the appointments and operation of this car for almost 4 years. I have not had any major repairs, however, I do need to take it for brake service. This vehicle has been getting 25-28 miles to the gallon depending on whether I need to use the AC. I would certainly purchase another Kia product.
    LJDiamante, Bronx, NY, November 11, 2008 18:00
    This is my first car and my first time driving a Kia. It certanly wont be my last. My car is the 2004 Kia Optima LX Four Cylnder. It has many features that other cars in its class dont offer on the base modes such as: Power everything, Semi-Automatic, Air conditioning, CD player, Front Driver and Passenger SRS Airbags, and much more. I love my car to death and I will always be a loyal Kia buyer.