» » »

Ford Q&A

Ask Your Question

2006 Ford Escape Question: key stuck in ignition

 

Question

Visitor, Arlington, TX, February 08, 2011, 20:38

about three weeks ago my key started to get stuck in the ignition. i was able to get it out after a few trys but now its been sytuck for three days. everything else seems to be fine.

5 Answers
Flag This
  • Medium-star Best Answer
    February 08, 2011, 21:11
    Profile_thumbnail
     Master

    A couple of things to check: see if the shifter is detented completely into park; sometimes a binding shift lever (cola sticks the mechanism exteremly well).
    The next most common issue is a bent key, even just slightly will bind the tumblers in an ignition cylinder.

    Flag This
  • Reply

    Visitor, May 03, 2011, 14:09

    I have the same problem. the key won't come out and the ignition will not turn back all the way when it happens only lets you turn it forward.

    Flag This
  • Reply

    GenieNashville, October 03, 2012, 08:18
     Rookie

    I've had the same problem for 2 years. My friend has a Fusion and it happens to her too. She told me after the car is off to shift to drive, then back to park. 90% of the time the key will come out. The other 10% I leave the key in the car. I have a detachable key chain and I put the automatic door opener on the other 1/2 then lock the door from the outside.

    Reply
    Flag This
  • Answer #2

    October 15, 2012, 07:48
     Enthusiast

    Have a few other people try to get it out. For some reason, my wife can get it out and I can't. This has been a recurring issue for us - always when you least expect it.

    Reply
    Flag This
  • Answer #3

    February 12, 2013, 09:53
     Rookie

    I have the same problem until I can get it to the shop, I remove the ignition fuse and the key comes out fine. Then put the fuse back in. its a pain but until I get it looked at this is my band aid

    Reply
    Flag This
  • Answer #4

    July 05, 2014, 22:10
     Rookie

    depress and quickly release (snap) button on shifter knob. This worked on 1996 Ford Fusion with 99K miles.

    Reply
    Flag This
  • Answer #5

    September 21, 2014, 23:29
     Rookie

    Same problem on my 2009 Ford Escape.
    Noticed with the engine off I could move the shifter
    out of park, which should not happen.
    After working the shifter until it locked into park
    I was able to remove the key. Hope the problem
    does not get worse!

    Reply
    Flag This