Mercedes-Benz Q&A

1995 Mercedes-Benz S420 Question: Jump started car, many problems now.

Visitor, Carmichael, CA, June 03, 2010, 17:54

My father came over this morning to jump start my dead battery. He hooked up the cables backwards on his car,(negative to positive) put the cables on my car and I noticed it smoking (the cables). I immediately took the cables off my battery. Once we started the car I took off for work. As I'm driving down the freeway I notice my speedometer is not working, gas milage gage not working, and my climate control is flipping out. Did we cause all this with the battery cables being hooked up backwards?

1 Answer

JParsons June 03, 2010, 22:52
     Journeyman

Unfortunately yes, and in defense of your father, this does happen quite often. Hooking up jumper cables backwards can cause many electrical issues. The first thing I suggest you do is check all of the fuses. Hopefully some of the electrical components may have been saved by the fuses blowing. Your vehicle owners manual will tell you the location of all of the fuse panels and the function of the fuses. I suggest checking all of the fuses, even if there listed component appears to be working. Most likely, some components will have been damaged and will need to be replaced. Here is a link to help you find a shop to get your repairs done: http://repairpal.com/directory. In addition, Mercedes-Benz has a lifetime road side assistance program. Jump starts and tire changes(fitting the spare tire) are free and performed by trained technicians. Although you may have to wait a bit for them, it will prevent this from ever happening again.

silsavo, February 19, 2012, 19:43

I too did the same thing with my s420 i put the plugs right on my car but the guy that was jumping it put them wrong on his car i immidiatly noticed it and changed because everythin went off in my car when i put them the right way the car started fine but all the same lights turned on as the other guys car mph gauge and mpg gauge, but my steering also got stiff. does the steering wheel have to do with it as well??
    please advise thanks