Reviews for Jeep Wrangler years:

Jeep Wrangler Reviews and Owner Comments

Jeep WranglerOwner Reviews (40 reviews)
  • 2003 Jeep Wrangler
    Visitor, San Antonio, TX, February 06, 2014 11:53
    I have owned my 03 Jeep Wrangle for 10 years now. Love the thing. Very reliable vehicle. The inline 6 is a good all around engine. I have done some tough off road driving and tow a small trailer with ease. Fairly simple for the lay mechanic like myself. Only problems are some light issues.
    ncsilverbear, Garner, NC, September 07, 2013 10:18
    Less than 57,000 miles, serviced regularly, severe engine knocking developed suddenly driving at 45 mph. Driven easily. Several diagnostics later, my only option is to "replace the engine". Additionally, front end shaking occurs randomly, usually when using 4wheel drive mode. But, no rhyme or reason. Unpredictable.
  • 2006 Jeep Wrangler
    Visitor, Henderson, NV, March 11, 2013 07:20
    Had my battery checked and found that volt regulator was bad. Pulled the alternator and bench tested her. Turned out purfect. Alternator is only 7 mo. old. I hooked up a code saver to keep my code when the battery was disconnected. Oh! I work at Autozone so I have access to alot of neat things. ( I buy them and dont just borrow them) Thought I would clarify that. Put the alternator back in, but found the main wire was forced in. Simply put it together more gingerly. When I got off work went to start her up and the inside dome lights didn't work. A sign came on where my electronic odometer is and it said"NO FUSE" I'm thinking that the code saver didn't do its job, and now I have to wait. All the rest of my lights work except my interior lights(dome,under dash lights). This Jeep doesn't have problems. I've fixed them all, especially after the Audi Dealership changed my conventional to synthetic oil. No biggie, I simply put in 10W-30 Extended performance oil, mobile one filter, and a K&N air filter. Along with a new oil pan gasket after 30 days. That wasn't too bad. I rented a lift for $83 piad my friend 50 to help, and a case of Pepsi, plus $12 for my gasket, all this took was 90 minutes.
  • 2005 Jeep Wrangler
    Visitor, Pawleys Island, SC, January 29, 2013 12:17
    I've got 108,000 miles on the 2005 Wrangler Unlimited I purchased new in January 2005. I've had the Heat/AC fan switch replaced three times (average cost is $150.00) per time. The multipurpose turn signal, dimmer switch, fog lamp assembly has worn out (approximately 92K miles) causing the fog lamps to come on while it's sitting still and draining my battery. Estimate to replace this assembly is $250.00. Replaced valve cover gasket ($120)and now the rear seal/oil pan gasket is leaking. Still, I love my Jeep!
    Visitor, Katy, TX, January 10, 2013 10:02
    I guess I am one of the lucky ones from reading these different posts. I have had mine since April of 2007. Drove it off the lot with 4 miles on it. I have done everything imaginable to the jeep (lift, bumpers, wheels, tires, new top). I have 65k mile on her as well. May not seem like I drive it a lot but I do, every single day. Im just one of those that has not worked very far from home. Average commute was about 14 miles for the first 3 yrs. These last 3 yrs have been about 28 mile commute. I have been offroad numerouos times. Love to play whenever I get the change. The only issue I have had with the Jeep was the O2 Sensor about 2 weeks after I got it and just recently the airbag light came on. So that was under the manufacturers warranty. Besides me having to take her in for a front seal replacement this comig weekend, I love this Jeep. Paid for and no problems. Like I said, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Not too impressed with the interior set up and the stereo. I mean, the 2006 TJ's were loaded!! Then you goto the JK and it was so darn basic. Softtops - you better have patience with the usual leaking when it rains. Or buy an aftermarket softop. This is what I did after 5 yrs. Now it doesn't leak - THAT BAD. LOL!!
    Visitor, Mount Pleasant, MI, November 14, 2012 09:39
    The right front dampner(spelling) has blown 5 times and I don't drive this Jeep off road. Also I have had to have the differential drained and checked 4x. Somehow water was getting in. Now I'm told that color (milky white) is normal on jeeps, but the last time it was checked it wasn't that color. So either they lied that it's normal...or they are lying now. Just had to replace the brakes and ball joints. I am at 55,000 miles This is my second Jeep and I love it, but have had a lot of problems thus far with no help from Chrysler and this is bought by an employee!!
  • 2008 Jeep Wrangler
    Visitor, New Milford, CT, June 04, 2012 12:30
    here in new milford we purchased a brand new 2008 jeep wrangler four door unlimited. at about 24,000miles the engine was rattling like a bitch. pulled into a gas station to check the oil despite no indicator lights glowing. note that we had regular oil changes. the jeep had almost no oil in it!! we were able to put four quarts of oil in the thing. taken to the dealership in danbury ct, it was not clear to the staff how the oil was leaving the engine; but that they could find no sign of a leak! only after several very harshly placed calls to chrysler we were given a new engine at 24,000 miles. and they replaced it with the same faulty engine!they would not extend the existing warrantee. this is a sad state of affairs for chrysler. we have been loyal to the jeep brand for five vehicles, and this certainly gives us pause. please share your similar concerns!!!
    Visitor, Philadelphia, PA, January 30, 2012 12:40
    Ok so got this 2007 Jeep direct order from factory delivered to my dealer. love it except i am experiencing the same lot of problems listed by everyone else. i currently have 187,000 miles on this bitch! i guess that is good considering the stories thus far BUT my biggest problem is the engine knock! had a cylinder misfire show up at 155,000 my mechanic tried to alleviate the problem within his ability but to no avail took it to a jeep dealer for the proper tests - compression etc. they said it needed a new engine - nice then i got the infamous Death wobble showing up at 185000 at 46 mph the shake was unreal and would not stop with acceleration or braking till like 30mph took to mechanic, checked everything he could not figure it out I swapped tires from back to front, that worked temporarily. does not happen as much although every little bump feels like it can shake took it back to mechanic told him to change steeering dampner and re torque track bars according to some forum posts. he checked the ball joints and said they need to be replaced as well getting ready to do them soon but have not really had death wobble i'm gonna run the engine into the ground, as i have already resigned myself to getting a new engine but certainly was not planning on replacing the engine on this thing but it is waht it is. i have had every little thing on this serviced by my company mechanic since purchase everyone would ask about the knock and why don't i do something about it but really what can be done other than a complete engine tear down and rebuild was my answer to0 the tune of how much?
    Visitor, Pleasant Shade, TN, January 13, 2012 11:04
    Purchased 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Worst purchase EVER! Only plus to this vehicle is it will go anywhere! The 2007 4 door has the DEATH WOBBLE! Even though Chrysler will not accept any liability, it is real and really scary! Will shake you so bad your head and teeth hurt! Spent over a thousand on repairs the dealer said would resolve the problem. Sold back to the dealer, Chrysler inspecter said replace steering dampner, dealer did what he said and it still wobbles! Luckily it is the deelers problem now! Awesome looking ride, as long as you don't have to drive it! The wobble has something to do with cold weather. By the way, it is not the tires, other comments will say it is, but those were replaced also! My husband was very upset, it was his dream car, but we had no other choice with this vehicle! We will never purchase another Chrysler product! There response to this is a joke! I am sure this "wobble" has caused many accidents!
    Visitor, Mission Viejo, CA, December 16, 2011 21:06
    Found out that our 2007 Wrangler Unlimited with 45,000 spun a bearing. Dealer wanted $6,500 to replace the motor. Dealer said they wanted to help me out but Chrysler needed more oil change receipts. Called Chrysler and they said they wished they could help me but the Dealer needed more oil change receipts. Bottom line - we were on our own. Chrysler's Unlimited Drivetrain Warranty is WORTHLESS!! Both Chrysler and the dealer made me feel it was all my fault for not maintaining the Jeep according to factory recommendations. There is no way an engine should fail at 45,000 miles. I will never ever buy another Jeep or Chrysler product!
    Visitor, San Diego, CA, December 10, 2011 16:12
    My 2007 jeep Wrangler I purchased new from midway jeep in San diego in april 2008. I was so happy to get my first jeep, When I found A 2007 brand new on the lot and the color I wanted and the deal of the year I was through the roof the cherry on top was the lifetime powertrain warranty, that's what really got me into looking into a Jeep. I had bad luck with a Ford truck and was ready to go back to a toyota or honda. At this point I wish I would have. I started to notice A ticking noise in my engine, called up midway a brought it in, they told I would have to pay $110 for a to get some test done over the phone, Fine I brought it to the service department and the service guy ask me to turn on the Car I did, As soon as I did he knew right away, On what it was. He then told me if he had permission to take apart the engine to get to the real problem and he added it will be a $500 to $600 charge to do this, I asked if it would be cover in my Lifetime warranty he said it might. two days later I finally got a hold of the service person and he told me that to get my oil change receipt ready to make my case with chrysler. But the worse part was when he told me that the engine took a beating it made me feel like i never change my oil. the bearings were stripped and he said "that my oil was short 2 quarts and that the engine should have failed already" funny cause my oil light never came on nor did the check engine light. isn't that what there their for. so all in all the only way to keep your powertrain warranty all oil changes done by Dealership then chrysler has no wiggle room to say that their perfect engine was miss treated by anyone.need a class action suit on these engine no car engine should ever be replaced before 55k miles
  • 1995 Jeep Wrangler
    Visitor, Los Lunas, NM, October 11, 2011 09:45
    I have a 1995 Jeep Wrangler TJ. I the vehicle itself is fine, its the soft top that is driving me crazy. Specifically the drivers side back window. I have done everything the directions have told me to do to put it on and make sure its nice and tight but once I hit the freeway the window pops out. Everything else is on nice and tight and doesn't come out when going at a high speed. I'm about ready to lose it. If anyone knows anytricks on how to fix this I would be forever grateful.
  • 1995 Jeep Wrangler
    oldmac361, Freer, TX, September 25, 2011 11:43
    lots of oil coming out of the top of the right side near the front of it when the engine is running. Could it be just the pan gasket gone bad in that area of it? The oil pressure drops to real low also could this be a bad oil pump?
  • 2004 Jeep Wrangler
    ben wilson, Monticello, FL, September 12, 2011 13:51
    I have a 2004 jeep wrangler 4 cyl,.5 speed. It just shut off,.everything seems to be O.K. but there is NO fire going to the plugs. Please advise,.Thanks, Ben
    Visitor, Panama City, FL, February 26, 2011 22:25
    I purchased this 1999 Jeep Wrangler as a hunting vehicle to only be used during hunting season. I now drive it all the time. I have only had one problem with it and that is the alternator overcharging and burning up batteries. Easy fix. Vehicle is very strong and engine runs great with over 125k on it. Real strong engine. Doesn't use or leak any oil. Drive train hasn't given me any problems. This is my second jeep and I'm sure it won't be my last. Love it.
    Tyreguy, Springfield, IL, February 22, 2011 09:38
    My second Jeep. Love everything about it. Easy to maintain, easy to work on, parts inexpensive, freedom to go anywhwere, plenty of power, plenty of room, removeable doors and top, infinite versatality, great community of Jeep owners!
  • 2000 Jeep Wrangler
    Visitor, Manahawkin, NJ, January 18, 2011 15:16
    i have a 2000 jeep wrangler sahara with 53k miles on it and i love it. car is very reliable and it can get you through anything. only downside is the MPG which is around 15
    Visitor, Kevil, KY, January 12, 2011 14:49
    Used jeep purchase with 31000 miles. Now at 74000 miles and it is at the dealers with a blown engine. MY extended warranty company has taken 3 weeks to look at the engine and still not sure they will pay. I think jeep has an engine problem and really don't want everyone to now. Need more people with engine problems to speak up. Jeeps maybe a find toy but i have had the last one i need for a daily driver. Also had poor mpg for a vehicle that doesn't weigh anything and has a v-6
    Visitor, Avalon, CA, December 18, 2010 16:41
    I bought my 1991 new almost 20 yrs ago. Drove it all through 48 states, Mexico, and alot of Canada. For the last fifteen years I have used it on Catalina Island dirt roads only. No engine problems still. So I have begun to give the old dude a major overhaul to thank it for all those crazy road trips and harsh driving conditions. Pulled it in to the garage last weekend and I am figuring out all the issues to deal with. Considering I drove it all the time and into the garage that should say it all. Only replaced a few starters, sets of tires, windshield, seat covers and a shamefull lack of tune ups. Taking photos of the whole process, wish me luck.
    Visitor, Westbrook, ME, November 17, 2010 07:49
    I've owned my '02 Wrangler SE, 2.5/Auto since 2006, purchased with 30k on it, one owner. It now has 62k. Obviously, it's a Jeep, it rides like one, slow, wanders, solid axles, etc, etc, etc. Being a Jeep aside, the TJ is pretty livable as a daily driver compared to a YJ. Even with a 3-speed auto & 4.56 gears I survive on the highway and Boston/NYC traffic, I just don't do much passing. Of course the 4.0L would help, but you don't really want to be exceeding 70 for safety's sake. The TJ is better in the snow than any other vehicle I've driven, including Subarus and 4x4 Chevys. Absolutely unstoppable with the right tires. The problems I've had: Dry rotted hoses. And seals. Granted, she's 8 years old now, so I expect it to a degree. Drivetrain has been pretty good overall. The auto transmission is not a good choice, I plan on replacing it with an AX-5 as soon as it dies. (The auto played into the below-book price I paid for it as well.) I have had a persistent P0455 "Gross Evap Leak" from one source or another. Rough road conditions, i.e. New England construction season can make a habit of eating your sway bar drop links. Replace them with aftermarket greaseable zerk type links for longer life. Expect noises and rattles throughout the vehicle for the duration of the time you own it. The A-pillar leak is annoying. I'd blamed my Besttop Two-Piece hard top. If your Wrangler wears the Goodyear Wrangler RT/S tires, expect to hydroplane at any speed above 30. I suggest BFG A/Ts for all on-road driving conditions. I love my TJ, but I can't say anything nice about the JK Wrangler. The Chrysler 3.8 is a boat anchor. This is coming from a AMC 2.5 I4 owner. Instead of buying a new Wrangler, I'll probably just continue to keep the rust off this one and rebuild, starting with a manual trans swap, and then swapping either a 4.0 and boring it to 4.6, or a Chevy V8.
    Visitor, Selbyville, DE, November 14, 2010 17:29
    I have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler X 4DR 4X4. I used to love it until "DEATH WOBBLE" started. OMFG!!! 70 MPH on I95 in Philly traffic I almost cr*%@pped my pants. Now if I go 40 MPH and hit a small bump there it goes again. Now I have another problem- engine ticking! Found out Spun bearing and it seems to be a common problem in 2007 models as I am finding on various blogs and websites. I have called Jeep for Assistance for the $5K repair. If anyone is experiencing any of these problems shout out please?
  • 1998 Jeep Wrangler
    Jamesc18, Evans, GA, September 23, 2010 17:22
    My uncle purchased this jeep for me to drive to school, in 2009. Its been good to me for the most part, (not breaking down). Needed a tune up and at the end of the year and it finally recieved one ( it kept shuttering everytime I first started it and continuesly when I would run the AC). I have driven it on average about 200 to 230 miles on school weeks and on the weekends I went to visit my father. It will sometimes 'jult when I am driving short or long distinaces. At first I thought it was bad gas but its either very sensitive to gas or It could be the fuel pump. AC works great at night or early in the morning (when there is little to no sun) but I wouldn't reccomend driving it long distances because it doesnt handle heat to well, esp while running the AC. If anyone can tell me why it jults when I am driving, It would be of great help. It will due this regardless whether there is gas at the full mark or even at half a tank. Everytime I take it to a mechanic they never find what I am talking about. If somone could tell me then I can better explain to the mechanics. Its a 4 cylinder, 5 speed manual. Over the summer I really put some miles on her and hopefully after graduation I can do it again. The heater works great, and even though my 98' Jeep Wrangler is just a four cylinder, It still burns through more gas than any other, esp for an engine of that size. Personally I think It is a good solid vehicle that looks great when the top is off. I have pulled trucks twice the size of my jeep out with no problem. Jeeps are good vehicles and can go through some rough stuff. but I wouldnt reccomend driving long destances. My jeep never breaks down but it acts funny sometimes. If you are looking for a manuel jeep make damn sure it at least a six cylinder because mine is a 4 cylinder and it has no power when it comes to highway/road driving, but it always surprises me off road.
    Angelo2975, Pompano Beach, FL, August 10, 2010 13:28
     Technician
    I purchased my 2002 Wrangler in 2006 with 48k miles...She ( yes SHE) now has 102k miles. I cannot complain one bit I knew what I was buying. The gas is horrendice , the ride is not quiet, the Jeep looks like a town house going down the road. But If i wanted alll those things I wouldn't by a Jeep. I plan on driving her untill the wheels fall off or my wheel stop spining. People say "that car just doesnt look dependable" ...I say lets compare repair cost's . My jeep has only seen a repair shop for tires and balancing ...Any other repairs can be done by a mechanicaly knowledge individual ( which I am) . Hands Down owning a Jeep is like having a dependable partner by your side.
  • 2004 Jeep Wrangler
    Visitor, Shepherd, MT, August 10, 2010 10:31
    2nd best Jeep I have ever owned. The best was my '86 CJ-7. I drove it forever. It had nearly 300,000 on it before loosing compression to the point that I could no longer get up to highway speed with it. Traded it in on an 04 Wrangler. Re-geared it to 4.56, ox lockers front and rear, 4.5" Rubikon lift, slip yoke eliminator with a rear cv shaft and I can go anywhere my 33's will take me.
  • 2003 Jeep Wrangler
    Visitor, Palmetto, FL, June 11, 2010 16:40
    great little ride. Its more like a friend than a vehicle. Fun to drive and very dependible. I love this jeep, and ive owned several over the years.Very few problems. Faulty fan swich after 83,000 miles,batt replacement, and two sets of pricy oversized tires. Some problems with zippers on soft doors. Easy to fix just take a razor blade make a small cut at the bottom of the zipper tape and replace the zipper off some of your old luggage, works great. I used some high quality brass zippers by american tourester. Replaced front brake pads thats it. This has been a no problem vehicle, I know it wont last forever , nothing ever does, but when the time comes i will replace her with a new model just like I did with my wife.
    Visitor, Glen Allen, VA, June 04, 2010 08:22
    This is one the best built Jeep in since the CJs of the late 70's early 80's.
  • 2005 Jeep Wrangler
    Visitor, Las Vegas, NV, April 14, 2010 21:32
    Plastic Trim pieces went to crack and break in either extrem heat or cold. (I ilve in vegas and huth in utah in the winter) 120 in the summer -20 in the winters of utah. the breaks are awesome. im at 60000 and just had them replaced. the drive train is rock solid. no problems at all. the only problems i have had that are electrical are related to the cam position sensor. they seem to go out every 15000 miles. the engine its self is the rock solid strait 6 4.0L and will last till hell freezes over if properly maintained (oil and filter every 3000 miles) the exaustmanifold sucks. they tend to crack even if you never take it off-road. 97-03 are the worst. 04-06 were slightly better. but you should replace it with an after market unit from Banks enginering. the heater is great but AC is just ok but with the soft top i am sure its better with hard top. the suspension has a few problems. when everything is working right its great. anything even minorly worn or wrong will cause the dreaded "death wobble". tire out of balance = "death wobble" stearing damper worn = death wobble. shocks worn = Death Wobble.. anything worn = death wobble. get the picture. now with all that said. i would buy another one in a heart beat. of all the vicheals i own it is by far the most reilable. it has never left me stranded by the side of the road. never failed to start. the only thing that ever stopped it was mud so deep that i had to crawl out the window cause i could not open the door. my next car will be another Jeep.
  • 1997 Jeep Wrangler
    Visitor, Chicago, IL, April 05, 2010 23:39
    Bought the car in 2005 and put about 38K milesfor a total of 139K miles on it, Great looking vehicle with the top off, but By far the worst car ever hat and I had 12 of them in term of repairs and the car was never offroad so I can't blame it on that, Brakes replaced five times;Pads & rotors and twice shoes and the front rotors and pads are ready for replacement, Cat converter replaced 3 times, Mufller twice, Engine and Transmation mounts Twice and they need replacing again, Suspension bushing , swaybars, Shocks, Manifold, head gascket twice and is leaking now and much much more repairs on this 4cyl. At which both engine & Transmation are at the end, I could write a book showing how horible of job Chrysler Did building this car. And We copmplained about YOGO
    qortrcntr, Albrightsville, PA, March 19, 2010 13:25
    I bought this with 8k miles on it. I now have 24k on it. I am quite happy with this vehicle. It really goes through deep snow well. I like the 3 piece hard top, alot fun in the summer. The jeep feels like a well made vehicle. I'm not a fan of the auto trans in this though. Seems to always want to shift down on the slightest hill.fuel eco is dismal.
  • 1997 Jeep Wrangler
    jeepers, Arlington, TX, January 26, 2010 09:13
    I have had my wrangler since 1997 and it has been great. I hope to drive it another 10-15 years
    ry61572, Croton On Hudson, NY, January 23, 2010 18:35
    Engine is way under-powered, poor gas mileage. Chassis and body excellent for its utilitarian purpose.
    Mgrove4, Minneapolis, MN, December 28, 2009 12:42
    I purchased my '02 Jeep Wrangler in fall of '01 and it's given me no issues. I do follow the recomended maintenance schedule that is published by Jeep and though it's probably costed me the price of another wrangler. I feel that not having a jeep payment for the past 5 years is well worth the cost of maintenance. Looking forward to pushing another 100k miles on this reliable little jeep.
    sharon649, Battle Creek, MI, October 18, 2009 16:25
    jeep will not start no power to the coil will roll over fine was always hard to start now it won't start at all please help
    PhillyAIDCop, Philadelphia, PA, June 19, 2009 10:51
    Auto trans clicks when shifting from reverse to forward. Horrible electrical system... broke down once with about 18000 on it, then again around 28k, 33k, 35k, and 36k. engine is very sluggish
  • 2000 Jeep Wrangler
    mowk, Marana, AZ, April 07, 2009 18:16
    I bought it as a handy (short) tow vehicle for my motorhome. Now I'm hooked! I've beaten the crap out it and it begs for more! Fun to drive and great on the Az off road. My only complaint is the fortune Ive spent outfitting it for the outback.
    91renegade, Troy, MI, February 06, 2009 20:41
    thease jeep wranglers are the best i had a 1999 that i drove until it had 297,628 miles on it the original 4.0 still ran great the manual trans still shifted as it should i only had to replace the clutch once the body held up great no rust any where i had to rebuild the drivers seat once the pading got a little soft after the first 150,000 miles but other than that it was a great truck i would still be driving it if i hadent got such a good deal on my new one i hope it last as long
    Deadhead, Columbia, PA, January 24, 2009 09:38
    The six cylinder models have an inherent issue with exhaust manifold cracking for the 1991-2001 model years. Aftermarket headers are the solution...OEM headers WILL crack. The HVAC controls also have an issue with having periodic "meltdowns". The fan switch cannot handle the amperage and will melt over time...if yours does this, get it fixed ASAP to avoid a catastrophic fire. Other than those two issues, the '99 Wrangler is a tank. Point-n-Shoot when you're out on the trails. In traffic, it's easy to maneuver and is quite nimble. It's no Ferrari and it's not a Cadillac. Slow and bouncy, but it will go wherever you point it...mud, rocks, snow, city streets. Enjoy the freedom.
    Andy Y, Oakland, CA, January 16, 2009 16:21
    What can I say? It's a Jeep and the short wheelbase makes for a stiff ride. I LOVE the torque from the 4.0L HO engine but it eats gas like it's going out of style. Oil leaks everywhere mostly fixed now... valve cover gasket, pinion seals, diff covers, transmission oil pan gasket, and oil cooler lines. After test driving some soft tops I'm really happy with the hard top, it's much quieter and seals much better.
  • 2006 Jeep Wrangler
    roberts, Pacific Grove, CA, October 17, 2008 13:03
    This is the Universal model with 10K miles on it. The tranny has a rough shift to it when going from fwd to reverse even though the car is completely stopped. There are drips of a reddish colored fluid on driveway intermittently when parked overnight. Dealer says all fluids levels are normal therefore nothing to worry about. Engine will increase rpm's +/- 500 sometimes when you come to a stop. Rest of car is fine.
  • 1994 Jeep Wrangler
    dwilliams309, Fort Lauderdale, FL, August 27, 2008 08:19
    Its a 94 model, what can I say. Rides a little rough and have had a problem with an emission leak which I understand is common.