Reviews for Jeep Grand Cherokee years:

Jeep Grand Cherokee Reviews and Owner Comments

Jeep Grand CherokeeOwner Reviews (79 reviews)
    bankans, Bluefield, VA, November 14, 2014 08:17
    May be I am one of the unlucky Jeep Grand Cherokee 1998 Special Edition owners who has spend about 4000 bucks just this year hoping that it would last longer. I bought the Jeep from a friend with 122K miles on it. It has 135k today. I had several problems: -Transfer case -Radiator -Brake Pads -Heater core -Muffler -Oil seal -Filter Pan -Battery issues If you look under the car, you will find most of the parts are brand new now!! Winter 2014 is here. I only hope that it does not give me any more trouble next year. I still have some common problems (electrical) but it is running now. I always liked Jeep, but ran into bad experience when I own one.
  • 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Visitor, New Virginia, IA, October 21, 2014 19:25
    Love this Jeep. Except A/C shuts down when car is not moving. Starter went out got that fixed now bright lights are not working any explanation? 2009 Grand Cherokee with 170,000 miles.
    nvoffroader, Gardnerville, NV, August 25, 2014 11:07
    Had a lot of 4x4 cars and this is the best handling SUV on Mt. roads I have seen. I have the Orvis model with heavy duty suspension.Engine is extremely good off the line and pulls really heavy trailers. Mileage now is 173k and shows no sign of letting up. It's the magnum v8 and the mpg is not the best but you pay to have fun.
    Visitor, Mount Pleasant, PA, June 12, 2014 08:08
    i have had the rotors cut @ 14k, new rotors @ 16k, new pads @ 21k, and now at 22k it looks like rotors either need cut or replaced again. this model seems to eat rotors. i would like to hear from any other owners with the same issue.
    Visitor, Greenfield, OH, May 17, 2014 09:23
    Bought my GCL new, now have 250,000 K on it and starting to get some lifter noise. I did have to replace the tranny. It has been a great vehicle, and has served us well.
    Visitor, Novato, CA, May 09, 2014 09:02
    2001 Jeep GCL with 130K - true that it takes more than average expense to maintain however car is great on the road and very reliable - buying a used one requires evidence from owner that major maintenance has been completed especially common problems due to miles and age of car such as the failure of fan to operate on the automatic climate control functdion among others
    Visitor, Alexandria, AL, January 30, 2014 13:28
    ok just started whed drive few miles will start jumpin jerkin let set few min. drives ok take front drive shaft out dont jump or jerk ???
    jeepmasterrick, Myrtle Beach, SC, January 26, 2014 14:29
    I have been fortunate with my Jeep since I purchased it in June 2005 (New).Most issues have been minor and just involved replacing parts that reached the end of their life cycle. I have always stayed on top of maintenance,including oil changes every 3000 miles. The one issue that has cost me the most is the differential. I had all the gears replaced at a cost of $2000 and in less than a year I had to have it repaired again and this time found a better repair deal at $585. Still in both situations that low whining noise will not disappear. I have 171,300 miles on it and I plan to drive it for as many years as I can. The cost of a new one is in my opinion ridiculous. When the warranty is gone I suggest staying away from Jeep Dealerships and their repair facilities. Instead find a local repair facility that will not overcharge for repairs and if they do you right stick with them.
    Visitor, Donnellson, IA, October 17, 2013 19:16
    I just purchased my 2004 Grand Cherokee. It looked good and drove nicely. Thus far after driving it almost 1,000 miles, it has needed more repairs then the vehicle (Dakota P/U) I traded in the 8 years I owned it. It also only get 18 MPG, bad for a 4.0 6 cyl motor. Dissapointed
    Visitor, Garden City, MI, June 25, 2013 12:41
    Chrysler not very friendly, broken frame on left side.
    Visitor, New Castle, DE, April 01, 2013 18:47
    i just got mine, its the best truck in the world...BUY one u willl love it!!!!!!!!
  • 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Visitor, Sewell, NJ, March 28, 2013 18:44
    I recently had a repair for a left side cylinder head on my Jeep Grand Cherokee. It took them 10 days to repair which is an excessive time to performt that repair. I would not recommend this vehicle.
    Visitor, Van Buren, ME, March 03, 2013 17:56
    2001 Jeep grand cherokee.Broken frame on passenger side.Never will i purchase another Jeep. Total piece of junk.
  • 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Visitor, Portland, OR, November 13, 2012 00:44
    I bought a 1993 jeep grand cherokee lorado 4 wheel drive 4.0 engine.. so far I have replaced the starter,generator,2 pullys all radiator hoses and radiator,battery,u-joints ball joints track bar bearings steeering stableizer, struts, controller bar, rotors brakes twice, rebuilt the transmission,replace the controle module for the transmission twice,the hood cable,the wiper motor for the hatch,two electric windows,thye brake switch,the parts that hold the hatch open,the electric fuel pump,the catalytic converter,starter,power steering pump hose,headlights,the E brake cap just poped off while just sitting there in the jeep. It is by far the biggest piece of juunk I have ever purchased.. It should be spelled CHEAP not Jeep. When I was a kid they made steel tonka truckes that were built better...
    Visitor, Rialto, CA, September 20, 2012 14:07
    i recently bought a 2002 jeep limited cheerokee, with 120,000 miles i love this car, the passangers window went out and the radiator blew but it was cheap,not compared to my vw beetle, never buy a vw....i love my jeep i had one in the past a 93 she was an awesome 4x4 red jeep all high milege cars need maintance and repair jeep is cheap parts. i would recomend this suv.
    Visitor, Tallahassee, FL, September 17, 2012 19:34
    I have a 1998 grand cherokee, for the past 2 month I changed the exahaust 3 times it keeps on back fire we replaced everything you think might be wrong. i am tired of it noe cause, less than 24 hrs ago I changed the ignition coil, spark plug and crankshaft, @ 2 miles from the garage, it blew off i am very sad I don't know how my children going to school tomorrow and I can not afford another one at all. Help!
    Visitor, Terre Haute, IN, July 02, 2012 12:22
    How involved is replacing/fixing the belt tensoner. Also there is a noise when I turn left and it feels like the power steering is gone but when I'm done with the turn it's fine.
    Visitor, Murray, KY, April 29, 2012 19:58
    2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I have a couple of issues with mine and can't seem to find anyone that knows what the problem is. First, when you hit any sort of bump at all the whole front end rattles like I'm fixing to lose about half of whats under there. Had the motor mounts replaced, didn't help. Second, when turning the wheel, something is grabbing and making an awful noise like the traction control or something is trying to engage. Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.
    Visitor, Fall River, MA, April 28, 2012 02:15
    I have a 2004 jeep grand cherokee laredo and belive me will be the last jeep or chrysler i will ever buy. In the past 3 years ive spent thousands of dollars to fix it. From eletcrical,to suspension, transmition and so on. It was my biggest mistake, after it hit 75000 miles it has been a nightmare
    Visitor, Saugus, MA, April 20, 2012 16:47
    The right rear panel near the right rear door has developed body rust The vehicle has only 73,000 miles and wonder if Chrysler has addressed this. A dealer has said there is no recall but I am wondering if others have this problem as I see many, many same year and type Cherokee without this problem, Seems to me that a water leak has somehow found its way in and to repair it a body shop said it is rust coming out from the inside and requires removing rr panel, possibly a defect in its quality control when built. As the owner I take care of my vehicles. My wife's 1996 Chrysler LHS original owner with 54,000 miles has no exterior body rust.
    Visitor, Salem, OR, April 18, 2012 19:03
    My 96 jeep grand cherokee limited edition recently aquired a dead battery and altinator....on a friday I accidently set off the alarm and because I have no "clicker" for it I have to lock and reclose the door then open it with key properly for the system to quit. I did this ....come monday morning the battery and altinator are dead :( It takes awhile to charge it a tiny bit but it doesn't stay running. I wondered if maybe the security system believes it's still on?
    sum dude, Winterhaven, CA, March 09, 2012 04:58
    I have a 98'' jeep cherokee laredo and i just bought i and its been running good but today it started stalling out and it was minor cuz it was the thermostat.now my moon root came off the rail and i dont know what to do without making it worse
    Shila, Placerville, CA, February 28, 2012 07:34
    02 Grand - last couple of months i will start the Grand and it will run rough, pull over shut it down and restart and it runs good, after a few miles the engine light goes off and no problems for a while, this had happened 3 times in the last 5 months. i think when i jump in and hit the starter real fast instead of turning on the key and then hit the starter this happens ,butt this should not happen no matter what. any ideas?
    nikkiyc, San Pablo, CA, February 18, 2012 15:54
    I have a 2003 Gran erokee Jeep @ 143,000 miles. I took my car into the shop and they think it needs an ignition coul or a computer. The car is running rough. It starts but when it gets warm it cuts off. If changed from park to reverse it will cut off.
  • 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Visitor, Warrington, PA, February 13, 2012 12:25
    Got my 2011 GC couple months ago. Good ride, steering and handling. Smooth brakes. Transmission, though, 'knocks' when downshifts at low RPMs but it's not that bad. I like it, but ... I'd like to talk to an idiot who designed program for climate control. Recirculation turnes off every 5 minutes. If you allergic to anything that can get inside of your vehicle with air - run from this car as far as you can. If you don't have any alergies you will 'enjoy' fumes from cars around you every time you forget to reset that recirculation button. Airflow is completely out of your control in 'auto' mode. Rear defroster, for some reason, tied to, guess what - recirculation button, which can't be used until defroster is on. The worst part - it's all done by design (according to dealer). Be carefull with transmision shifter. I knocked it, without realising, from Drive to Auto-stick mode couple times already. Sunglasses holder, if left open, blocks rear view mirror . To sum up - nice car, but Jeep designers still should do better job.
    Visitor, Dallas, GA, September 19, 2011 07:48
    At 70k,rear end started squealing.I removed rear axles,as sound appeared to come from rt.axle.Found axle bearings to be fine,but pinion bearing felt somewhat rough.Removed driveshaft in order to remove pinion,and found both u-joints were binding.After going to two Jeep dealers and a few parts stores,it was evident that I would have to pay $1200 for a driveshaft assy with the joints installed by factory.A driveshaft builder told me that he couldn`t buy after-market joints that would fit my yokes,otherwise he could use my shaft or build a new one.I reinstalled the driveshaft and traded the car.I`m sure the squeal cost me about $900 on the trade-in allowance.No more Chrysler products for me.
    sonata06870, Old Greenwich, CT, September 14, 2011 11:54
    I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee and love it. I did have some problems though... one of which was the drive train needed replacing but thankfully it was before the warranty ran out. The 2nd was stalling of the engine while driving at high speeds on the highway... going 65-75mph with a tractor trailer behind you and stalling is scary. This happened more than once, but luckily I was able to steer the Jeep to the breakdown lane each time and restart it as though nothing had happened! The dealership replaced the battery and this seems to have stopped this problem. I've had Jeeps for over 15 years... my first was a bare bones model(unlike my present car) which bounced me around and gave me no problems at all... I traded it in for my 2nd then 3rd and now this one. My 2005 is approaching 60,000 miles and I'm hoping I can go another 60,000 or beyond. If not, I'll probably get another Jeep but one without so many bells and whistles if they make them that way any longer. But I love my ole 60,000 mile "Bluebell"... she and I are about the same age in miles... I put on a good 10,000/year.
    sunshinewilson, Ellisville, MS, August 27, 2011 18:17
    I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee I love my Jeep but after chanageing the Ingiation coil it was running just fine now it is stalling out when you come to a slow stop the RPM's go down to nothing and it dies out. When you let it Idel it will cut out. I was driving down the road the other night and had to slow down for someone turning and it cut out one me if you let it sit for a few minutes it will restart any ideas what it could be? Ihave a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Litimed Black and Gold
    imsimonm, Naples, FL, August 23, 2011 00:26
    I bought my 3rd jeep cherokee 2005 new but it will be my last. The low tire light has been on since i bought the thing. Everytime i take it in for warranty repairs they tell me it something i did. abs wheel sensors have been replaced twice . my lights flash all the time and i have replaced the remote keypad 3 times. i have 67,000 miles on it. am on my third set of tires, i took it in with 12000 miles and complained about tire ware but might as well put a note in a bottle and threw it in the gulf.
    Visitor, Sparks, NV, August 16, 2011 10:31
    I have had my 204 Grand Cherokee since 2005. It now has 180,000 plus miles, and outside of normal maintenance (tires, brakes, etc) the only major repair I have hade to make was the transmission at 150K due to a broken sun gear. I would own another Jeep anytime.
    slugbeast, Jensen Beach, FL, July 11, 2011 18:28
    Bought used in 2009. BIG PCM problem, many PCMs, even some "refurbished" units have a faulty ignition coil circuit. This faulty circuit causes stalling, backfiring, no-starting and ruins catalytic converter. Once I returned my 2nd refurbished PCM the stalling went away as did the CEL code. Otherwise excellent Jeep, minor flaws that you would expect from used cars. some suspension bushings wore out pre-maturely, air conditioning wears out compressor squeals, exhaust manifold develops tick, interior door trim can peel apart.
    Visitor, Brooksville, FL, June 16, 2011 19:21
    Biggest piece of CRAP Chrysler has built in a LONG time.
    watermelon1969, Dolgeville, NY, May 06, 2011 19:12
    its a good jeep,but tofix the manifold it is costly and very hard to get at lots of things in the way very time consuming as well . would cost over a $1000 dollars for parts and labor . the part can be bought for as little as $10 used up to $350 new. time is where the most of the money is spent for labor allaround
    Visitor, Rome City, IN, April 10, 2011 04:37
    Bought this black and gold beauty new in 1994 for my wife. It was our first new car and will be our last. I just bought her a 2007 black Commander so I can keep the Grand Cherokee. The two black Jeeps look very classy in our garage. For 17 years it has been faithful. We live in a rural area with lots of snow and 3 miles of back roads to town. The Jeep was the right choice. It has been trouble free. It's serviced every 3000 miles. It pulls our boats and trailers. Even pulled a trailer with 10,000 lbs. of sod over 40 miles. Got my ear chewed over that one.
    Visitor, Orange Park, FL, April 05, 2011 15:41
    The only problem I have had was with the alarm system. Baught it used with 103000 miles. Restored the farm house with and cleared 4 acres with it. It now has 198000 mile on looks great. Previous owner service it well and I cotinued the same oil changed every 3000 miles. Did have to replace all disc and calipers the were just worn out but you have to stop. Oh did I mention I was pulling a trailer all the time.
    Visitor, Birmingham, AL, February 22, 2011 07:10
    My jeep purchased new in 1996, now i have 210k miles. Great car i have had the transmission rebuilt at 170k, radiator and water pump at 180k. Now having problem with PCM causing poor idling or shut down. Other than that still runs great!!!
  • 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Visitor, Ventura, CA, February 10, 2011 13:06
    I have been having a problem with my 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee since I bought the car new, the problem is when I am at a stop and begin to accelerate a hesitation occurs like the car is not getting gas and my dash lights all light up, the problem was intermittent when I bought the car and now it is happening every other day. If I pull over and shut the car off and re-start it runs O.K. but it keeps on happening. I looked on line to see if other owners of the same model have this problem and I found that it is a ignition coil problem that can damage the Catalytic Converter if not repaired but when I took the car for repair Crown Dodge in Ventura, CA could not find the problem and they told me that the car has to re-create the situation which is intermittent
    Visitor, Orlando, FL, January 26, 2011 06:55
    I have a 2002 Grand Cherokee Limited with 110k miles. Purchased in June 2001. A nightmare from the beginning. I have replaced all four window regulators and two of them twice, all brake rotors and calipers, the transmission, blend doors on heater/ac twice, re-circ door on heater/ac twice, and the exhaust manifold, the radiator and the water pump. The car cost about 30K and by now has accumulated more than $15K in repairs. The seat heaters have gone out and a multitude of many other issues have arisen. Many repairs were done under warranty; however, this repair history is unacceptable. This is the second Jeep I have owned, but Chrysler has lost me, my family, friends, and anyone who will listen, as customers forever. If you are considering a Grand Cherokee, be sure you can grab your ankles.
    Visitor, Mc Dowell, KY, January 25, 2011 16:49
    I bought my Jeep May 2002, it has 121,000 miles. There have been some repairs the last one was front hub/bearing assembly for both wheels. It had been bad for some time now its just like new. The sound is very quiet and steers true with no loud noises when hitting bumps in road. Its better to repair as soon as possible before too much gets bad. This is my third Jeep and would buy another without a second thought. Best vehicles going; take care of the vehicle it will take care of you.
    captadams52, Greenwood, IN, December 27, 2010 22:29
    My Jeep that I bought it used, I thank that it is a strong SUV and I am keep it until it stops moving. The transmission, sometimes it stay in 1st and you have to run the RPM to 5000 then it shifts, but sometimes it stay in 2nd and it shifts will nices. The back windshild riper motor stop working and now I have to repair it, (how can I get inside it to replace it).... I thank you
    kapali40, Wahiawa, HI, December 23, 2010 15:37
    OMG!!! This vehicle is a piece of crap. nothing but problems since being purchased. will never ever buy jeep again.
    Visitor, Columbia, MD, December 06, 2010 13:25
    This is a very good vehical so far I only had it for two months and it's giving me the cofidents that it will meet all my expectation
    Visitor, Stockbridge, GA, December 06, 2010 13:20
    I love my 2000 Grand Cherokee with v6 engine. I bought it used back in 2005 with about 50k miles. Its been great! It has 233k miles and still start right up. Only major component if have changed is a starter.
    wtceagle91101, Palm Coast, FL, December 06, 2010 13:20
    The jeep year of 2000 is in great shape.
    Visitor, Hesperia, MI, November 04, 2010 08:19
    mine has 260,000 miles and it is the best vehicle i have ever owned! great in the winter
    Visitor, Suwanee, GA, October 25, 2010 10:09
    My 2004 Grand Cherokee Limited has everything you could possibly want in a car - SUV versatility, smooth handling, comfortable seats, all the bells and whistles. Have only had minor problems with it, seems normal to me, and as for a "death wobble", I drove a Pathfinder a couple of months ago with the same problem - people who think they know how to fix things and fixing the WRONG thing; it can really get expensive. My advice, get a good mechanic, and if you have to save money, just pay them for the diagnosis. Most smaller shops will do it for you. As for mine, I've replaced three window regulators (one twice on the same window) - don't slam the doors so hard, its not necessary and they will last longer; water pump a few years ago, normal wear and tear on brakes and ONLY ONE TUNEUP IN 157K! The car starts and runs reliably every single time! I had an A/C leak that I had to have fixed a couple of times - wasn't the car, it was the mechanic who didn't fix it right the first two times. Anyway, had the car since it had 44K, drive it everywhere, even tho we have 3 other vehicles, put over 100k on it myself, expect to put another 100k. If you're driving a 20 year old car, guess what, its going to need repairs! I love my jeep, my sister bought a Liberty that she loves, and my brother has a 2000 Cherokee sport that he loves. We are a Jeep family now and from here on out!
    yvette h, Lancaster, CA, October 17, 2010 23:36
    my anti-theft system just started giving me problems and it' s affecting my engine running well. besides that the jeep been good to me.
    Dolby, Victoria, TX, September 29, 2010 12:40
    We realy like the Jeep 2000, MPG is not great, but rides good. Now it has an over-heating problem. But thats my scrowup I didn't change the coolent in the past 5 years. If you take care of this suv it will last you a long time.
    goin4it, Vallejo, CA, September 18, 2010 06:07
    This car was garaged by the original owner and then sold 3 years ago to my friend who in turn sold it to me but after she drove down to mexico about 2 hours past cancun. since I bought it 2 years ago I have had to have the water pump replaced. Now that I have been experiencing the death wobble I have replaced the stabalizer bar and tie rods and had an alignment ...did'nt work. So I'm going to shoot for the shock absorber that is connected to on of those bars and the one bar that comes from the steering wheel( the part that connects to the rest of the front end..I think it has a u joint that should probably be replaced , oh yeah and because it shook so bad I have to replace a broken motor mount( left side) and the steering box that cracked all that and then will the rotors need turning you betcha. finally off to balance the new tires. I will probably pull most of the parts if I can at pick and pull but with all the money I have to spend guess who gets to fix it. Me. I am now getting grease all over my hands. yuck. I would like to start with the motor mount . Is it going to be really hard Should I use a cherry picker or floor jack? oh yeah I had to replace the passenger side knuckle because the wobble bent the calipers and the screw that hold the calipers to the hub on the bottom were stripped and it tweaked the calipers Now I need to get new brakes too. The castle bolt that holds the knuckle on had to be cut off what a nightmare. It has been a challenge every step of the way. I think cars that do this dangerous thing should be recalled. I don't understand because it is uncontrollable I have almost wiped out on the golden gate bridge. I am losing wages not being able to commute.
    mattmo12, Fallbrook, CA, August 26, 2010 10:26
    Only complaint: Rough ride. Feel all the bumps. Recommendation? Matt
    Visitor, Birmingham, AL, August 20, 2010 20:40
    My Jeep has 220,000 miles on it, and it still runs awesome. Have had some minor irritations with the electrical system, but for a 12 year old car and that kind of mileage, who's complaining!
    Visitor, Palm Beach Gardens, FL, August 17, 2010 08:44
    I've had my Cherokee for four years now and I've put on 123,000 miles. Just recently the front brake calipers siezed and had to be replaced. The air conditioning is acting up....apperently the door that controls the amount of outside air coming into the sytem has failed open. I have the same slow start issue others have noted. I've heard that this is caused by a sensor which will not allow the transmission to engage untill the transmission fluid has completely circutlated. 4WD required an expensive repari at about 70,000 miles. Oh and all for interior door handle housings have cracked or completely borken out. Great care with too many maintenance issue to consider buying another one.
  • 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Visitor, Andover, KS, August 08, 2010 13:41
    my only complaint is the gas mileage at 14.5 city/highway combined is horrible by any std.
    Visitor, Metamora, IL, August 07, 2010 13:55
    Love the ride, looks great, and good suspension. Exhaust manifold bolt broke, replaced manifold bolt & gasket- $365. Brakes pads and rotors turned @ 35k miles. Transmission-delayed engagement after extended shutdown. Had trans flushed & cooler flt replaced. Still does the same. 3.8L V-8 has good power. A/C works well. Overall, love it, but transmission scares me
  • 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Visitor, San Jose, CA, August 06, 2010 17:45
    1993 grand cherokee. I bought it at a auction in December 1994. I now have 450,000 miles on it. It has original drive train. the rear diferential was rebuilt 20,ooo miles ago. I drive the car every day. the oil is changed every 2,000 miles. It is the best car I have ever owned.
    Visitor, Mckinney, TX, July 30, 2010 10:27
    Jeep is just another way to spell junk. I have a 2002 Grand Cherokee Limited with 94k miles. Purchased in Dec 2001. A nightmare once you hit 50k miles. I have replaced all four window regulators, both outside mirrors, front brake rotors and calipers, all tie rod ends, steering stabilizer, trackbar, blend doors on heater/ac, re-circ door on heater/ac, gas cap(three times), and the blower motor control module and connector. I've also replaced all four shocks and had new brake pads installed three times. Now freon is leaking from the ac system so that will be the next big expense. If you are considering a Grand Cherokee, you should google "jeep death wobble" first. It's one of the scariest things you will ever experience when driving a vehicle.
    Visitor, Burlington, KY, July 25, 2010 17:24
    STILL HAPPY
  • 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Visitor, Burton, MI, July 18, 2010 11:03
    I'm a Jeep Girl. Not just because their appearance and function appeal to both my sporty and mommy lifestyle but because I have no problems with them. I have 2 active kids that push and shove and eat and carry on like demons in the car and as long as we clean up our spills, our Jeeps stay looking great and doing their job.
    tbarket, Lakeland, FL, July 06, 2010 13:12
    Best SUV ever built in America. We have had a 94 Laredo for 5 years, second owners. We bought the jeep with 130k on it and a folder full of maintenence records from the previous owner. Our 65k on it are flawless. Changed the waterpump and radiator. Oil cooler lines, and rear brakes. New front end from an accident (not our fault). Other than normal 150k plus replacements this has been everything we could ask for. If you can find one with service records buy it as fast as you can. 17 years old and only a couple of surface rust spots. Best vehicle I have ever owned.
    Visitor, Cardwell, MO, June 25, 2010 03:45
    2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. I love the interior design of my Overland. However, I only have 63,000 miles on it and the service 4 wheel drive system warning light is on, the passenger side AC blows hot air when the AC is on, and my rear passenger side breaks are rubbing. I have had a 2 inch block lift kit installed, bigger tires and rims, and a cargo rack on top, definitely a head turner! Not to mention the raw power of the Hemi and the terrain shredding ability of the constant 4x4.
    Visitor, Roswell, GA, May 12, 2010 18:50
    My 2002 V6 has 126k miles on it. Tranny had to be replaced at 50k, brake rotors need turning every so often. My last repair was a brain buster, but ended up pretty cheap. A/C would only blow from the defrost vents, and the cruise control was not holding speed. These two things happened all at once. A quick Google search revealed that this was just a $2 vacuum hose fix - total repair time, 1 hour. I will drive this thing another 50k.
    Frank Sandoval, Santa Ana, CA, April 27, 2010 16:04
    Rear Main Seal
    Visitor, Natrona Heights, PA, April 08, 2010 10:23
    Overall the car is good except it has the chrysler a/c curse. The evaporator needs replaced. Every chrysler I have owned has had the same problem. All were costly. I will research cars I buy from now on to be sure the a/c parts aren't supplied by the same manufacturer as the ones Chrysler uses. I keep 5 cars at all times and am making the transition away from chrysler products due to the aggravating problems I have had with HVAC and brakes.
    jimmyboy21521992, Brookfield, IL, March 22, 2010 16:41
    This is my first Suv and i just love it
    mprest99, El Paso, TX, November 09, 2009 14:00
    I have a 1994 Grand Cherokee with 138,000 miles. I bought it new. I have not had any mechanical problems until the last 2 years. This my second Cherokee (the first one was a 1997) and I have loved them both.
    felinezoo, Moneta, VA, September 19, 2009 05:56
    My 2005 Jeep Grand cherokee Limited ia as good or even better than any other luxary vehicle. This jeep is the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned. My avg fuel milage is apx 19.5 - 20.00 The Quality of construction and interior detail is beyond excellent. This trail rated jeep will climb a mountain with out roads. Ther is none other than a JEEP. I t still ownes up to the saying [Jeep is A Legond.] I am over 60 yrs old and a indepandent Mechanic and have owne other makes. this Jeep beats them all. Why miss the fun and honor of owning the best. I bought this jeep used with 86,000 miles now has 120,000 miles.My only expense has been regular maintance oil chg. ect.
    ProB8, Little Rock, AR, April 18, 2009 18:45
    Have two of these - a Laredo and an Overland. Great vehicles, excellent performance but just average fuel economy. Overland had $700 nonwarranty AC repair when a plastic gear broke in the dash- caused cold air to blow on the passenger side- no heat. Both have steering noise at low speed left turns (like in the driveway). We'll drive them til they fall apart.
    tom19511, Sheffield Lake, OH, April 11, 2009 06:49
    I love this Jeep. It is fun to drive and rides better than a Cadillac. The 3.7 engine is a bit noisy and lackluster, but adaquate. It gets the looks, too..
    Aguafan2, Tucson, AZ, April 06, 2009 16:12
    Bought new 02/00, loaded - all options with a 6 cyl engine for the low end torque (boat ramps). Only 39,000 miles. Repairs: 2 recalls, plus both front elec. door locks in 2008, and all 6 gas struts in 2009. Drives and looks great.
    threes9508, Randallstown, MD, March 07, 2009 16:25
    These trucks are no good from the time my wife brought hers the thing has been no good,the back goes up on all of them and head gaskets go up in them all
    luuuucy, Summerville, SC, February 21, 2009 08:31
    Currently having trouble with the heater. Right side vents blow cold air. There is also an intermittent leak that soaks the passenger side footwell. I've replaced the transmission and both front door window gear boxes. Not real happy with the vehicle other than looks.
    zzsuzsa, Pacoima, CA, February 12, 2009 10:59
    I bought the car new. Maintained very well, only has 89000 miles in today. Both recalls was done. I love my Jeep but without any warning recently the engine just stops at stopping signs. Turns off completely. we changed many thing on it to find the cause, like fuel pumpp, crank sensor, distr.cap, rotor, ign. coil, spark plugs, fuel sensor, trottle position sensor, idle air control thermostat, now we are changing fuel injectors. Hoping that that would fix the probleim. Dealer/service indicated injector leak. Minor thing like driver doors auto lock is not working, dash light just goes away, leaks on rear bearings (fixed) are probleim. Rear window lock not open suddenly but I can live with that. The major problem is the stopping at ideling/low speed or at stop signs. It drive me crazy not to be able to find the cause! I gave the body a 3 because debris can go between the front fender and doors from the corner of the hood and accumulate at the bottom of the body. It is very difficult to clean and smells. Otherwise the interrior are very comfortable, drives very smooth I love my Jeep. IMO the body was the best design, I like it better than the new ones. The spare tire should not be in the cargo area though.
    roro_517, Troy, MI, February 06, 2009 20:33
    We bought this lemon from a used car sales man, Who was moving out of the state and we got a raw deal. The guy said all it need was a wheel baring, Which wasn't even the case, Now we cant even found out the right price to fix the transfer case. Loved the car used to have another one before this..
    2k_jeepgrandcherokee_ltd, East Providence, RI, January 27, 2009 13:07
    Bought this at the beginning of this winter and its been nothing but good to me. Starts everyday even in the coldest weather, eats up the road (even in snow) and this V8, 4.7L aint that bad on gas either getting roughly 21mpg highway. The interior is spacious and loaded with leather. Power everything even the moonroof and seat adjusters. With Tilt-Steering and a cruise control this baby is great on the highway and looks good too. So far so good.
    Nightmare, Allison Park, PA, December 12, 2008 20:02
    This is the second 1997 Grand Cherokee that I have owned. I searched out the twin to my original one because I enjoyed it so much. I have found that keeping up with small maintenance items keeps this a very comfortable and reliable vehicle. Two minor complaints 1) When using 4 wheel the front-end can seem a bit noisy. Just keep parts lubricated 2) Wish gas mileage was a bit higher. Caution on brakes - rotors can be warped very easily if wheel nuts are not properly torqued into place. Use a torque wrench instead of torque sticks or guns and you can extend life of rotors greatly. I also had a 2003 GC and enjoyed it as well but it had an almost sporty ride while this model screams luxury.
    Ladybug Driver, San Francisco, CA, December 10, 2008 09:47
    I really like the styling of this car/jeep, it's too bad everyone I know who has one is always at the repair shop. If this was a reliable car, and I didn't have to keep up the repairs and maintenance on it like a Jaguar, I'd get one in a heartbeat. It's an SUV without the bulk and size -- and the V8 has a lot of kick. The interior on the Grand Cherokee is quite nice also.
    roberts, Pacific Grove, CA, October 17, 2008 13:08
    Overall a good car with 120K miles on it. Tranny sometimes does nor shift immediately from park to drive after sitting for several hours. Pressing on the gas lightly solves this.
    getup71, Trenton, NJ, September 24, 2008 11:15
    Be careful on the 2002 Grand Cherokees if they were built before May 2001 they use Teves Brake Calipers which are horrible caused major rotor warping problems Jeep was aware of the problem but didnt offer a recall just a replacement if you had your brakes serviced withing the first 36,000 miles. Which I should have but didnt. If you are looking to purchase a grand cherokee make sure it is one with the akebono brake calipers which were put in place after May 2001. All else has been good with the vehicle.
    brales74, Cleveland, OH, September 02, 2008 19:03