Jeep Grand Cherokee Reviews

Jeep Grand Cherokee Reviews and Owner Comments

May be I am one of the unlucky Jeep Grand Cherokee 1998 Special Edition owners who has spend about 4000 bucks just this year hoping that it would last longer. I bought the Jeep from a friend with 122K miles on it. It has 135k today. I had several problems: -Transfer case -Radiator -Brake Pads -Heater core -Muffler -Oil seal -Filter Pan -Battery issues If you look under the car, you will find most of the parts are brand new now!! Winter 2014 is here. I only hope that it does not give me any more trouble next year. I still have some common problems (electrical) but it is running now. I always liked Jeep, but ran into bad experience when I own one.
Love this Jeep. Except A/C shuts down when car is not moving. Starter went out got that fixed now bright lights are not working any explanation? 2009 Grand Cherokee with 170,000 miles.
Had a lot of 4x4 cars and this is the best handling SUV on Mt. roads I have seen. I have the Orvis model with heavy duty suspension.Engine is extremely good off the line and pulls really heavy trailers. Mileage now is 173k and shows no sign of letting up. It's the magnum v8 and the mpg is not the best but you pay to have fun.
i have had the rotors cut @ 14k, new rotors @ 16k, new pads @ 21k, and now at 22k it looks like rotors either need cut or replaced again. this model seems to eat rotors. i would like to hear from any other owners with the same issue.
Bought my GCL new, now have 250,000 K on it and starting to get some lifter noise. I did have to replace the tranny. It has been a great vehicle, and has served us well.
2001 Jeep GCL with 130K - true that it takes more than average expense to maintain however car is great on the road and very reliable - buying a used one requires evidence from owner that major maintenance has been completed especially common problems due to miles and age of car such as the failure of fan to operate on the automatic climate control functdion among others
ok just started whed drive few miles will start jumpin jerkin let set few min. drives ok take front drive shaft out dont jump or jerk ???
I have been fortunate with my Jeep since I purchased it in June 2005 (New).Most issues have been minor and just involved replacing parts that reached the end of their life cycle. I have always stayed on top of maintenance,including oil changes every 3000 miles. The one issue that has cost me the most is the differential. I had all the gears replaced at a cost of $2000 and in less than a year I had to have it repaired again and this time found a better repair deal at $585. Still in both situations that low whining noise will not disappear. I have 171,300 miles on it and I plan to drive it for as many years as I can. The cost of a new one is in my opinion ridiculous. When the warranty is gone I suggest staying away from Jeep Dealerships and their repair facilities. Instead find a local repair facility that will not overcharge for repairs and if they do you right stick with them.
I just purchased my 2004 Grand Cherokee. It looked good and drove nicely. Thus far after driving it almost 1,000 miles, it has needed more repairs then the vehicle (Dakota P/U) I traded in the 8 years I owned it. It also only get 18 MPG, bad for a 4.0 6 cyl motor. Dissapointed
Chrysler not very friendly, broken frame on left side.
i just got mine, its the best truck in the world...BUY one u willl love it!!!!!!!!
I recently had a repair for a left side cylinder head on my Jeep Grand Cherokee. It took them 10 days to repair which is an excessive time to performt that repair. I would not recommend this vehicle.
2001 Jeep grand cherokee.Broken frame on passenger side.Never will i purchase another Jeep. Total piece of junk.
I bought a 1993 jeep grand cherokee lorado 4 wheel drive 4.0 engine.. so far I have replaced the starter,generator,2 pullys all radiator hoses and radiator,battery,u-joints ball joints track bar bearings steeering stableizer, struts, controller bar, rotors brakes twice, rebuilt the transmission,replace the controle module for the transmission twice,the hood cable,the wiper motor for the hatch,two electric windows,thye brake switch,the parts that hold the hatch open,the electric fuel pump,the catalytic converter,starter,power steering pump hose,headlights,the E brake cap just poped off while just sitting there in the jeep. It is by far the biggest piece of juunk I have ever purchased.. It should be spelled CHEAP not Jeep. When I was a kid they made steel tonka truckes that were built better...
i recently bought a 2002 jeep limited cheerokee, with 120,000 miles i love this car, the passangers window went out and the radiator blew but it was cheap,not compared to my vw beetle, never buy a vw....i love my jeep i had one in the past a 93 she was an awesome 4x4 red jeep all high milege cars need maintance and repair jeep is cheap parts. i would recomend this suv.
I have a 1998 grand cherokee, for the past 2 month I changed the exahaust 3 times it keeps on back fire we replaced everything you think might be wrong. i am tired of it noe cause, less than 24 hrs ago I changed the ignition coil, spark plug and crankshaft, @ 2 miles from the garage, it blew off i am very sad I don't know how my children going to school tomorrow and I can not afford another one at all. Help!
How involved is replacing/fixing the belt tensoner. Also there is a noise when I turn left and it feels like the power steering is gone but when I'm done with the turn it's fine.
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I have a couple of issues with mine and can't seem to find anyone that knows what the problem is. First, when you hit any sort of bump at all the whole front end rattles like I'm fixing to lose about half of whats under there. Had the motor mounts replaced, didn't help. Second, when turning the wheel, something is grabbing and making an awful noise like the traction control or something is trying to engage. Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated.
I have a 2004 jeep grand cherokee laredo and belive me will be the last jeep or chrysler i will ever buy. In the past 3 years ive spent thousands of dollars to fix it. From eletcrical,to suspension, transmition and so on. It was my biggest mistake, after it hit 75000 miles it has been a nightmare
The right rear panel near the right rear door has developed body rust The vehicle has only 73,000 miles and wonder if Chrysler has addressed this. A dealer has said there is no recall but I am wondering if others have this problem as I see many, many same year and type Cherokee without this problem, Seems to me that a water leak has somehow found its way in and to repair it a body shop said it is rust coming out from the inside and requires removing rr panel, possibly a defect in its quality control when built. As the owner I take care of my vehicles. My wife's 1996 Chrysler LHS original owner with 54,000 miles has no exterior body rust.
My 96 jeep grand cherokee limited edition recently aquired a dead battery and altinator....on a friday I accidently set off the alarm and because I have no "clicker" for it I have to lock and reclose the door then open it with key properly for the system to quit. I did this ....come monday morning the battery and altinator are dead :( It takes awhile to charge it a tiny bit but it doesn't stay running. I wondered if maybe the security system believes it's still on?
I have a 98'' jeep cherokee laredo and i just bought i and its been running good but today it started stalling out and it was minor cuz it was the thermostat.now my moon root came off the rail and i dont know what to do without making it worse
02 Grand - last couple of months i will start the Grand and it will run rough, pull over shut it down and restart and it runs good, after a few miles the engine light goes off and no problems for a while, this had happened 3 times in the last 5 months. i think when i jump in and hit the starter real fast instead of turning on the key and then hit the starter this happens ,butt this should not happen no matter what. any ideas?
I have a 2003 Gran erokee Jeep @ 143,000 miles. I took my car into the shop and they think it needs an ignition coul or a computer. The car is running rough. It starts but when it gets warm it cuts off. If changed from park to reverse it will cut off.
Got my 2011 GC couple months ago. Good ride, steering and handling. Smooth brakes. Transmission, though, 'knocks' when downshifts at low RPMs but it's not that bad. I like it, but ... I'd like to talk to an idiot who designed program for climate control. Recirculation turnes off every 5 minutes. If you allergic to anything that can get inside of your vehicle with air - run from this car as far as you can. If you don't have any alergies you will 'enjoy' fumes from cars around you every time you forget to reset that recirculation button. Airflow is completely out of your control in 'auto' mode. Rear defroster, for some reason, tied to, guess what - recirculation button, which can't be used until defroster is on. The worst part - it's all done by design (according to dealer). Be carefull with transmision shifter. I knocked it, without realising, from Drive to Auto-stick mode couple times already. Sunglasses holder, if left open, blocks rear view mirror . To sum up - nice car, but Jeep designers still should do better job.
At 70k,rear end started squealing.I removed rear axles,as sound appeared to come from rt.axle.Found axle bearings to be fine,but pinion bearing felt somewhat rough.Removed driveshaft in order to remove pinion,and found both u-joints were binding.After going to two Jeep dealers and a few parts stores,it was evident that I would have to pay $1200 for a driveshaft assy with the joints installed by factory.A driveshaft builder told me that he couldn`t buy after-market joints that would fit my yokes,otherwise he could use my shaft or build a new one.I reinstalled the driveshaft and traded the car.I`m sure the squeal cost me about $900 on the trade-in allowance.No more Chrysler products for me.
I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee and love it. I did have some problems though... one of which was the drive train needed replacing but thankfully it was before the warranty ran out. The 2nd was stalling of the engine while driving at high speeds on the highway... going 65-75mph with a tractor trailer behind you and stalling is scary. This happened more than once, but luckily I was able to steer the Jeep to the breakdown lane each time and restart it as though nothing had happened! The dealership replaced the battery and this seems to have stopped this problem. I've had Jeeps for over 15 years... my first was a bare bones model(unlike my present car) which bounced me around and gave me no problems at all... I traded it in for my 2nd then 3rd and now this one. My 2005 is approaching 60,000 miles and I'm hoping I can go another 60,000 or beyond. If not, I'll probably get another Jeep but one without so many bells and whistles if they make them that way any longer. But I love my ole 60,000 mile "Bluebell"... she and I are about the same age in miles... I put on a good 10,000/year.
I have a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee I love my Jeep but after chanageing the Ingiation coil it was running just fine now it is stalling out when you come to a slow stop the RPM's go down to nothing and it dies out. When you let it Idel it will cut out. I was driving down the road the other night and had to slow down for someone turning and it cut out one me if you let it sit for a few minutes it will restart any ideas what it could be? Ihave a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Litimed Black and Gold
I bought my 3rd jeep cherokee 2005 new but it will be my last. The low tire light has been on since i bought the thing. Everytime i take it in for warranty repairs they tell me it something i did. abs wheel sensors have been replaced twice . my lights flash all the time and i have replaced the remote keypad 3 times. i have 67,000 miles on it. am on my third set of tires, i took it in with 12000 miles and complained about tire ware but might as well put a note in a bottle and threw it in the gulf.
I have had my 204 Grand Cherokee since 2005. It now has 180,000 plus miles, and outside of normal maintenance (tires, brakes, etc) the only major repair I have hade to make was the transmission at 150K due to a broken sun gear. I would own another Jeep anytime.