Acura Q&A

2004 Acura TL Question: Is there a design problem on the 3rd Generation Acura TL Engine Mounts?

Joetheduke, 3.2L V6, Shreveport, LA, February 04, 2012, 18:46

My 2004 Acura TL just rolled to 90,000 miles and after taking in in several times for front end noise without any successful diagnosis, I determined that it must be a motor mount issue. I took it in and was told that all but one of the engine mounts and all but one of the transmission mounts had failed. I have NEVER experienced a motor mount failure on any car (I am 49 years old) and when I finally purchased my first new car (2004 Acura TL) for $36,000, I have this level of failure. Although I love the body style and overall design, this car from a quality stand point has been a sad disaapointment.

1 Answer

patrick mannion from Greg Solow's Engine Room, February 04, 2012, 20:26

There is only one Technical Service Bulletin from Acura regarding the engine mounts but nothing regarding failure, no recalls, I have seen some failures of the TL mounts on cars we work on, I drive a TL as well and love it.

Joetheduke, February 05, 2012, 14:26

It just seems odd to have multiple failures of engine and transmission mounts on a car with such low miles.

Engine Compartment hood gas-charged lifter (YR 6)
    Fuel pump/regulator (YR 6)
    3 of the 4 door handle trim pieces have all fallen off (at different times)(YR 3, $ 4 & 6)
    Accessory outlet shorted (seldom used for charging my phone)(YR 8)
    3 of 4 engine mounts and 2 transmission mmounts failed (YR 7-8)
    Driver's seat adjustment motor currently is failing