Is it the Coil Problem? on 2005 Ford Thunderbird

Yesterday, going about 50 mph, pulled out to pass and engaged passing gear. Engine immediately stumbled and amber wrench warning light came on. Got home on partial power with engine stumbling badly and could not get past about 40 MPH. An hour later, problem gone. This never happened before. My T-Bird is well maintained and has 47,000 miles. Was this the coil problem, or something else?

by in Williamsburg, VA on February 07, 2014
2 answers 4 comments
ANSWER by on February 07, 2014
Could be something else, but the coils are a very common problem. If you could verify by scanning could be a good idea. That's the first thing I would have thought of with the description of accelerating when symptoms started.
COMMENT by on February 07, 2014
Scanning with what? I called my Ford dealer and they say whatever happened will not be on the car's computer, because the problem went away. No amber wrench warning light came back, either. They told me "wait until it is happening again and bring it in." Not real reassuring.
COMMENT by on February 07, 2014
Usually with ford when the light goes off then the codes go away. On some scanners we have purchased there can be a history code still in the computer. ford does have some problems with the throttle bodies as well. If you don't have an issue right now and want to wait until the next time that might have to be done. If you want to try go by some of the parts stores have code readers to scan for free and see if anything does show up. Then post results.
ANSWER by on February 07, 2014
Scan test needed as stated but is the check engine light on or just the service vehicle soon, yellow wrench, light? Misfire should turn on cel. Possible throttle actuator problem but scan will tell.
COMMENT by on February 07, 2014
Scan test with what? I called my Ford dealer and they say whatever happened will not be on the car's computer, because the problem went away. Only the amber wrench light came on, nothing else no check engine light. The amber wrench warning light went away with the problem. The Ford dealer told me "wait until it is happening again and bring it in." Not real reassuring.
COMMENT by on February 07, 2014
Ok , you do as you like! Good luck with it!
The top of my engine is perfectly clean no water spots. I have a dealer telling me that my engi...
There may be an extended warranty on the ignition coils - see your  Ford Dealer for more information-Thanks John B for this information!
my 95 ford thunderbird was missing thought it was bad gas, wasn't. Thought it was plug wires, wasn't. Thought it was the coil pack ( because im not getting fire out of two of the four plug wire con...
I meant to ask how to locate sparkplugs and ignitioncoils on a 2004 thunderbird
I have no fire from two of four towers on one of my coil packs. I did a test on the three wires that plug into it and the tan and green wire(with my 12 volt test light clip on positive battery term...