Is it the Coil Problem? on 2005 Ford Thunderbird

Yesterday, going about 50 mph, pulled out to pass and engaged passing gear. Engine immediately stumbled and amber wrench warning light came on. Got home on partial power with engine stumbling badly and could not get past about 40 MPH. An hour later, problem gone. This never happened before. My T-Bird is well maintained and has 47,000 miles. Was this the coil problem, or something else?

by in Williamsburg, VA on February 07, 2014
Get Your Car Fixed at a RepairPal Certified Shop.
We certify shops based on expertise, quality work, and verified customer reviews
2 answers 4 comments
ANSWER by , February 07, 2014
Could be something else, but the coils are a very common problem. If you could verify by scanning could be a good idea. That's the first thing I would have thought of with the description of accelerating when symptoms started.
COMMENT by , February 07, 2014
Scanning with what? I called my Ford dealer and they say whatever happened will not be on the car's computer, because the problem went away. No amber wrench warning light came back, either. They told me "wait until it is happening again and bring it in." Not real reassuring.
COMMENT by , February 07, 2014
Usually with ford when the light goes off then the codes go away. On some scanners we have purchased there can be a history code still in the computer. ford does have some problems with the throttle bodies as well. If you don't have an issue right now and want to wait until the next time that might have to be done. If you want to try go by some of the parts stores have code readers to scan for free and see if anything does show up. Then post results.
ANSWER by , February 07, 2014
Scan test needed as stated but is the check engine light on or just the service vehicle soon, yellow wrench, light? Misfire should turn on cel. Possible throttle actuator problem but scan will tell.
COMMENT by , February 07, 2014
Scan test with what? I called my Ford dealer and they say whatever happened will not be on the car's computer, because the problem went away. Only the amber wrench light came on, nothing else no check engine light. The amber wrench warning light went away with the problem. The Ford dealer told me "wait until it is happening again and bring it in." Not real reassuring.
COMMENT by , February 07, 2014
Ok , you do as you like! Good luck with it!