I changed the front brake pads and rotors. I have reinstalled the rotor assembly and bearing, attached the locknut and washer. The next piece that goes on is the fixed cam assembly, which I believe operates the 4 wheel drive mechanism. Anyway, there is a plastic ring and spring inside this assemble and as I was applying pressure to check that the snap ring was in place in its groove, the entire assembly came apart and the plastic ring broke. I have to order a entire hub assembly to replace it. You just can't buy the cam assembly. IF this is part of the 4 wheel drive system, would it be safe to operate it for a few days like this until I can replace the hub? The rotor assembly is firmly fastened to the axle via the lock nut and washer so I don't see where this would cause any harm. I just won't be able use 4 wheel drive. What are your thoughts?
Is it safe to operate without the fixed cam assembly in front hub? on 2001 Nissan Xterra
This week's top 10
Recent Nissan Xterra Questions
- Want start and back firedand exploded muffler
- Car is idling at 3000 and over will stall out when driving.
- My break lights will not turn off and I do not know why.
- replaced battery,alternator,belts3?dualtuochscreendvd10"spkback up camera recent
- what isthis different beeping im hearing,never herd it before,high pitch on 4 ev
2001 Nissan Xterra Estimates
- 105,000 Mile Service ($220 - 305) in Morgan, MN
- Mass Airflow Sensor Replacement ($256 - 319) in Alvin, TX
- Serpentine Belt Replacement ($101 - 178) in Eupora, MS
- Add Front Engine Seals ($96 - 127) in Loma Linda, CA
- Fuel Evaporative Canister Replacement ($485 - 562) in Lansing, NY
- Cooling System Leak Inspection ($44 - 56) in Birdseye, IN