Abnormal Noise From Driveline on Ford Escape

An abnormal noise may develop from the transfer case. At this time parts are not available to repair internal damage to this type of transfer case, replacement is the only option. It is not uncommon for irregular tire wear to cause a similar noise. Diagnoses should be performed to confirm the actual cause of the driveline noise. Tire noise can be reduced by rotating the tires at least every 5000 miles.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 116,318 (50,000–160,000)
Drive Trains affected: 4WD, Automatic Transmission
8 model years affected: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, more2007, 2008, 2011, 2013
35 people reported this problem
25 people shared problem details
Same here. Transfer case. Awd. Still making payments on it to. Waiting to see how much it's going to cost. Single and only income. Seriously have no money to fix it or buy a new car.
2008 Ford Escape- 4WD67,380
Noise from the transfer case. Have been told it would have to be replaced at the cost of $3000.00 dollars. Ford Motor Company will not help in any way. Because there has not been enough complaints about this problem. As for me and my family we would not recommend buying a Ford product at any time in our lifetime.
2005 Ford Escape- 4WD120,000
Sounds like rolling metal in transfer case/PTO. And trans fluid leak comong from left side of trans where axle shaft goes into transmission.
Toothed gear in the transfer case could break loose on it's shaft. It creates a loud noise. Ford doesn't sell internal parts for the transfer case, only seals. Unfortunately you need to replace the entire transfer case. Make sure your wheels/tires are the same size and rotated in every oil changes. Even a small difference on the tires overall diameter will put lots of stress to the transfer case.
2005 Ford Escape- 4WD
TRANSFER CASE - CAN BE REBUILT... IF YOU TAKE IT APART YOU CAN GET NEW SEALS IN THE USA BUT NOT IN CANADA. MY MECHANIC IN DOMINICAN REP - WHO WAS AMERICAN. REBUILT THE TRANFERS CASE. THE PART THAT WENT WAS A GEAR ON A SHAFT - HE HAD IT RE-LEVELED AND PRESSED AND WELDED AGAIN AND MACHINED IT. WHICH COST ONLY 20 BUCKS IN THE DR. BUT WILL PROBABLY BE 200 IN THE USA. THE BEARING WERE EASY TO FIND AT A LOCAL BEARING SHOP AND WE USED VOLVO PREMIUM GASKET SEAL WHEN WE PUT IT BACK TOGETHER. NOTE- DONT BE CHEAP AND TRY NOT TO BUY THE SEALS - IT DIDNT WORK. I BOUGHT THEM AT FORD FOR ABOUT $150. ITS BEEN 2 YEARS NOW AND ITS STILL A SOLID REPAIR. IT TAKES ABOUT 12 HR LABOUR AND 3 HOURS TO REBUILD THE CASE WHEN U HAVE THE PARTS- AND YOU WILL DEFINITLEY NEED TO USE A LIFT..
2008 Ford Escape- 4WD152,000
Everything was fine and all of a sudden a bang car would not move easy the was able to crawl home with what sounded like pennies in a coffee can, was told transfer case needed to be replaced. coming at a bad time financially got a used one with 24K on it..... think its going again
Dealer can't part. It's been 4 weeks now and part is still on back order.
2011 Ford Escape- 4WD64,000
Transfer case is junk, needs new one. Ford has a problem!
I have road noise on my 06 Escape. When I replace the tires it is almost gone. The noise gets so bad I would bet my 25 year auto repair reputation (if I didn't know better) that it was a differential problem. I went so far as to take the cover off the diff. and found nothing. I just live with it since I know that on mine it is tire and road noise.
2005 Ford Escape- 4WD141,253
I had everything new put on my truck. I was told that the trasmissin transfer case was broken. I called every where to check out the price for a new trasmission. The price is the price of a new car. I just paid my car off
2005 Ford Escape- Automatic Transmission160,000
a low vibration from front undercarriage, could be the bearings
2006 Ford Escape- 4WD105,000
Car gradually had more and more issues. New years day of 2016 I went to pull out of my driveway and just start hearing this horrible noise and felt little power. Got it to the shop and 2 days later found out that my car needed about $6,600 in repairs. Transfer box needed to be replaced, new oil pan was needed, all 4 tire rods went bad, oil and steering fluid leaks, and the transmission is on its last leg. My parents got this car new in 2006 and it has been nothing but issues. Now I have no car, no job to get a new car or car to get a new job, and my school semster is starting in 3 weeks. I will never get another ford!
heard a loud pop next day sound like a bunch of rocks rolling around loudly somewhere in the engine mechanic couldnt find problem noise stopped week later vehicle barely wanted to mantain speed and got really loud as if i was on a flat with a bunch of rocks rolling inside mechanic said something came loose got lodged and cracked my transfer case tire good and transmission fluid good now its sitting at shop waiting to get fixed need new transmission after seeing all these complaints think il just let dealership have it and il get something better
2003 Ford Escape150,000
What gear should I put my ford escape2003 in when needing 4 wheel drive.
2008 Ford Escape- 4WD125,000
Noise when foot off gas coming from engine. Then metal grinding noise with car lurching, failing to accelerate or maintain speed normally. Had it towed in case I was damaging the engine more by driving it. Took it to local shop and they said it is the transfer case. Range is $3-1,400 depending on if I buy a new or rebuilt case.
2007 Ford Escape- 4WD128,000
Loud noise coming from car had a repair shop look at it they lifted it up on there hoist said it either had to do with the all wheel drive or the transmission
2006 Ford Escape- 4WD
Sounds just like this https://youtu.be/k3EOtV4DbwM
2005 Ford Escape- 4WD160,000
Hybrid version of Escape, getting a great deal of noise while accelerating.
2007 Ford Escape- 4WD156,000
I have a 2007 mercury milan for the last 2 months its been making this weird I guess you could say boggin noise(im a girl ha) and I would have to let of the gas a few times to get it to stop and then finally one night on my way home it what I thought was my motor blowing up and I get my oil changed bout every 2 months so I knew it wasnt that but I can go in reverse just fine but once I put it in drive it drives okay for about 5 seconds and then goes to clanking and I was told it was my transfer case
2004 Ford Escape- 4WD78,000
A clunk when putting into reverse was told it was the 4wd transfer case
My Escape runs poorly sometimes after it rains. I've taken the car to 3 mechanics now and have...
My daughter has a 2002 ford escape, Her EGR went out and we found out we had to replace all the...
Just started happening, i do have automatic on this vehicle so i dont know if it matters. Heat...
Battery light comes on and off randomly. Had the charging system checked. No problem indicated...