I need detailed instructions on how to change the water pump in my E150 van... any assistance will be appreciated
by Visitor in Lexington, SC on April 30, 2010
There is a company that independent auto repair shops "buy" their information from that offer a very reasonable service to do it yourselvers. You can get a one week subscription or year subscription very cheap. The information is year make and model specific repair procedures, service bulletins, component locations, wiring diagrams ect.... great quality information same as the professionals have ,much better than generic workshop manuals from parts stores, much cheaper than the factory manual try http://bit.ly/mitchell_repair_manuals_online
and get an online repair manual subscription.
there are 3 different types of engines in this vehicle model. for a v8 5.0 here are the instructions. standard labor is 3.2 hours w/ AC and 3.0 w/o
1. Remove air cleaner and intake duct assembly, including crankcase ventilation hose.
2. Drain cooling system, then remove radiator.
3. Remove drive belts, fan, spacer and water pump pulley.
4. Disconnect heater and bypass hoses from water pump.
5. Remove water pump attaching bolts and the water pump.
6. Reverse procedure to install. Tighten water pump retaining bolts to specifications. NOTE: All water pumps have a sealed bearing integral with the water pump shaft. The bearing requires no lubrication. A bleed hole in the pump housing allows water that may leak past the seal to be thrown out by the slinger. This is not a lubrication hole. If the pump is damaged and requires repair, replace it with a new pump or a rebuilt one.
remember this may differ if you have a 4.9 or 5.8