ignition problem on 2002 Volvo S40

Good morning, The question I have concerns the ignition switch / key. I am experiencing problems removing the key from the ignition. The steering wheel is not in the locked position, this started out randomly but is becoming more frequent, the only way I can remove the key is to jiggle the steering wheel or jiggle the wiper arm. Have you heard of something like this? Thanks

by in Delray Beach, FL on September 17, 2009
1 answer
ANSWER by on September 17, 2009
It could be that you are having a problem with the shift lock cable that attaches from the shifter to the ignition lock. This cable prevents you from removing the key when the transmission is in gear. Also the ignition lock itself may be having problems too. Good Luck, let me know what you find out!
2 people like thisFlag inappropiateReply
only can turn key in ignition far enough on to start electrical items cannot turn key all the way to start car
it occurs ever time i turn the car off. the key wont come out of the ignition. I try play with the key.make sure the car is in park.
how much will it be for part and labor for an ignition switch?
How much is cost to replace 2 ignition coils, wires and plugs?
The shift lever on our 2000 Volvo S40 occasionally (not regularly) gets stuck in Park so that turning the key won't start the ignition. The car "thinks" that it isn't in Park. We can jiggle the l...