Nissan Q&A

1997 Nissan Maxima Question: Ignition Problem

breen, Pasadena, MD, June 08, 2009, 23:24

My Maxima starts up fine when I first start it up. The problem happens if I drive it like to go home from work and then I try to go back out about 15 minutes later it will not start. After about an hour it starts again with no problem. I just replaced both the knox and oxygen sensors.

1 Answer

patrick mannion from Greg Solow's Engine Room, June 09, 2009, 00:11

Nissan had a few problems around this time. Wires in the wiring harness engine to firewall passenger side of the engine compartment frayed and broke in the wiring harness but this normally set erroneous Service Engine Soon/Check Engine light, often flagging an O2 sensor code. I have also replaced several ignition switches as the electrical portion failed resulting intermittent voltage drop across the switch.
    Your engine has six individual coils so it is not possible for all 6 to fail but it is possible the crankshaft angle sensor or crankshaft sensor may fail when it gets hot loss of either signal would cause the ignition and fuel injection to be lost.
    I would start by scanning for codes using the onbaord diagnostyic connector under the dash. On cranking I would see if the scan tool reads cranking RPM, if it doesn't see cranking RPM you have lost a key input to the Engine Control Module. Next I would attach a fuel pressure gauge fuel pressure should be 34 PSI at idle, 43 PSI key on engine cranking if everything is good.
    Next I would check the ignition switch for voltage drop on the ignition circuit. I actually found a video on Youtube of how to conduct a volt drop test pretty good.

Determined 1, March 06, 2015, 14:18

Hey what's up Patrick.. I'm working on a 1997 Nissan maxima and I'm not getting any RPM signal on my Data scanner.. The customer told me this would happen once a month then it gradually got worse. Now it don't start. Once maybe every 30 try's I will get a spike in signal up to around 60 then back to 0 RPM.. I taken the ECM out put it in another maxima it start and ran Great. Changed cam and crank sensors even put a New starter in it because I burned out the old one from cranking so much. Have you come across this problem before? Where do I go from here? Any body have a fix for this issue?? Thank you