Ignition Lock Electrical Assembly
The ignition lock electrical assembly—or ignition switch—is connected to the ignition lock cylinder. It turns the vehicle’s electrical system on and off and also supplies the initial electrical signal that starts the engine.
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- Car may not start, start intermittently, have electrical issues, or shut off while driving
- Engine may continue to run after key has been removed
- Radio, lights, blower motor, and other electrical components may stop working
Related Repair Advice
- When starting issues arise, the battery and starter should be inspected along with the ignition switch
- If the ignition key will not turn, the fault is commonly with the ignition lock cylinder. In most cases, the lock cylinder can be replaced separately from the ignition switch.