Idle and Accelerator problems. on 2004 Cadillac DeVille

On occasions mostly when cold, the engine fails to idle and died on several occasions. Proper idle RPM is approximatley 650. On other occasions when hot, the engine wants to idle at 850 RPMs, which is too high. Also it seems that when rolling down the road and I took my foot off the accelerator, the RPMs stayed too high, as if the Accelerator were sluggish or sticking. On occasion at low speeds, I had to keep my foot on the accelerator to keep the RPMs up so the engine would not die.

by in Santa Cruz, CA on June 22, 2010
1 answer
ANSWER by on June 24, 2010
The idle air control valve may be sticking on your 2004 Cadillac DeVille causing an erratic engine speed. Another possibility would be an intake manifold vacuum leak from the seal between the throttle body and the intake manifold. Proper diagnoses will be necessary to determine the cause of your idle problem. Please use the following link to find a repair shop near you - http://repairpal.com/directory?address=95060&car_brand_names=Cadillac.
Not all the time but when I start the car the engine is racing on its own without me putting my foot on the accelerator.I can be at a stop sign and all of a sudden the engine begins to race and if ...
and apply the brakes. I experience rough idle until i start driving again.
when I am moving the oil light goes out . Either when accelerating or just coasting. when I stop at a light or to park the oil light comes on again. Could be head gasket huh?? Had oil changed and t...