1994 Ford Explorer Q&A

1994 Ford Explorer Question: I have an ignition problem

I have changed ford ignitions before but how hard would it be without the key? I have a friend with a 94 explorer that wants to bypass the whole locksmith bill and just swap the tumbler. is there a way to get it out without a key or do I need to change the whole column? -
you will need to drill it out. it is very time consuming. Roy -
Comment 1
i agree but be careful u can destroy the column -
Agree with Roy and globalhelper, calling out a locksmith in our area is the cheaper route of doing a proper repair. If it is the original ignition lock try calling Ford give them the VIN number and see what they would charge to cut a key given the VIN#. -
Driving down the road and came to a stop, engine died and wont start. turns over
Headlights and taillights will not turn off. Autolamp control green light is on and does not go off when ignition is turned off. Have to pull fuses to turn lights off.
Can be started by turning switch on and crossing celinoid switch,,Have replaced celinoid 3 time...
it smooths out after 10 seconds and runs good I have replaced the spark plugs twice witch helped for a little bit then went back to the same problem and i replaced the plug weirs.
how do i get past the theft system ? no longer have the remote access control.