I have a problem related to that with my 2010 chevy Malibu. on 2003 Chevrolet Malibu

Do you have any idea what would cause the lights in the dash and radio to cut off and on? It runs just fine, it's just that when I'm driving, the lights in the dash will get real bright then it will shut off and do will the radio. When that happens all the lights such as lie tire pressure and every thing are on and all the gauges stop working. The radio completely shuts off. I've taken it to get it fixed but they say they don't know what it is.

by in Potwin, KS on August 30, 2014
2 answers 8 comments
ANSWER by on August 30, 2014
If you have an after market radio you could have a short somewhere, the lights getting bright and dimming sounds like an alternator problem.
COMMENT by on August 30, 2014
No, it's the original radio. It's all original. The alternator would cause it to kick on an off like that and cause all the lights to come on? When this happens, the radio kicks off at the sane time.
COMMENT by on August 31, 2014
If there was a problem with the alternator it can cause surgeing in the system. You would also experience a problem with keeping your battery charged. I'd also replace the fuses for the radio and dash start cheap. If that doesn't stick I'd ask someone who has a continuity tester look at the fuse box panel itself.
COMMENT by on August 31, 2014
Where are the fuses located?
ANSWER by on August 31, 2014
Does the engine ever stall when this happens?
COMMENT by on August 31, 2014
No. Like I said it drives and starts just fine.
COMMENT by on August 31, 2014
I also read "then it will shut off" ... Thought you may have meant the engine... A lot gets lost in the mail!!
I completely understand. Maybe I should have explained better lol
COMMENT by on August 31, 2014
The reason I ask is I have had some ignition switch problems with this vehicle.... Just saying!
COMMENT by on August 31, 2014
Really? I've had my car for almost two months. I haven't had any problems with the ignition yet but my dash lights and gauges cutting off and on along with the radio is really a pain in the ass. Did you figure out what was wrong with it?