Chevrolet Q&A

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Question: I have a problem related to that with my 2010 chevy Malibu.

Khampton, Potwin, KS, August 30, 2014, 21:03

Do you have any idea what would cause the lights in the dash and radio to cut off and on? It runs just fine, it's just that when I'm driving, the lights in the dash will get real bright then it will shut off and do will the radio. When that happens all the lights such as lie tire pressure and every thing are on and all the gauges stop working. The radio completely shuts off. I've taken it to get it fixed but they say they don't know what it is.

icewolf August 30, 2014, 23:38

If you have an after market radio you could have a short somewhere, the lights getting bright and dimming sounds like an alternator problem.

Khampton, August 30, 2014, 23:52

No, it's the original radio. It's all original. The alternator would cause it to kick on an off like that and cause all the lights to come on? When this happens, the radio kicks off at the sane time.

icewolf, August 31, 2014, 00:30

If there was a problem with the alternator it can cause surgeing in the system. You would also experience a problem with keeping your battery charged. I'd also replace the fuses for the radio and dash start cheap. If that doesn't stick I'd ask someone who has a continuity tester look at the fuse box panel itself.

Khampton, August 31, 2014, 05:31

Where are the fuses located?

pushrod August 31, 2014, 05:51

Does the engine ever stall when this happens?

Khampton, August 31, 2014, 06:00

No. Like I said it drives and starts just fine.

pushrod, August 31, 2014, 06:52

I also read "then it will shut off" ... Thought you may have meant the engine... A lot gets lost in the mail!!

Khampton, August 31, 2014, 06:54

I completely understand. Maybe I should have explained better lol

pushrod, August 31, 2014, 06:57

The reason I ask is I have had some ignition switch problems with this vehicle.... Just saying!

Khampton, August 31, 2014, 06:59

Really? I've had my car for almost two months. I haven't had any problems with the ignition yet but my dash lights and gauges cutting off and on along with the radio is really a pain in the ass. Did you figure out what was wrong with it?