GMC Q&A

2004 GMC Envoy Question: I have a 2004 Envoy XUV. I have a tailgate window problem again. The window will

John11042, 4.2L 6 Cylinder, Reno, NV, July 30, 2013, 11:15

I found the tailgate window down about 4 inches and a error on my DIC display. Apparently the computer has lost the position of the tailgate window. The window must have come down on its' own as it was closed when I last used the vehicle. I can get the window to go down but it will not go up at all so I cannot do the procedure the manual says to do. The tailgate also will not open. How should I go about troubleshooting this problem. When I bought this vehicle I had to have the complete tailgate regulator replaced and modules as well. I am not sure how to proceed. Can anyone help me??

1 Answer

Tinysautorepair July 30, 2013, 11:31

You will have to have the roof and tailgate module positions re-learned with a GM Tech II scanner. They go out of sync and need to be re-flashed.

John11042, July 30, 2013, 17:06

That means a trip to the dealer correct???

pushrod, July 30, 2013, 17:59

No, any good mechanic with a REAL scanner can help you out. Sounds more like a window motor problem since it will not go up at all.

John11042, July 30, 2013, 23:16

I will call around tomorrow and see what garage can do this. I have to watch my expenses as I am retired and disabled living on S.S. so money is extremely tight. I had everything inside the tailgate replaced about 5 years ago at the local dealership garage. It seems this vehicles weakness seems to be the windows as I had to do the very same thing to the mid gate window as well. the mo0tor seems to be getting power in both directions. It just won't got up and I have no idea how it lowered itself that 4 inches. Thanks for the help. If I can get the tailgate to open then maybe I can do some work on it. I have the complete shop manual for this vehicle and it a three volume set but being a retired mechanic I have always had these manuals with every car I owned. Anyway thanks for the help I know nothing of these new computer type cars as I retired in 1989 and no longer have the tools or the energy to get into all this. I do my own work but this is out of my expertise. looks like I will have to sit down and read the manual. Thanks again for your help and time.

pushrod, July 31, 2013, 04:29

Try this, get in vehicle, turn key on and headlights on high beam to help load the battery, engine off! With dome light on, try to raise the rear glass while looking VERY close at the dome light, does it dim just a very little bit? Try it again and again does it dim any? Now try to lower or raise another window, any one of them, while watching the dome light, see it dim now? It should be the same every time a switch is activated if the circuit being tested is active and closing (working). If that light DON'T dim when trying to raise the back glass then there is an open circuit to that window motor. If it DOES dim , just a tiny bit and the window doesn't raise, the motor or regulator is your problem! Make sense? Be sure to watch the dome light closely as the change is very slight and subtile, in fact sometimes it helps not to look directly at the dome light but kinda to the side so you catch the change with the corner of your eye! Try it, cause it workes for me every time!!! Almost like a built in test light! If you were not a mechanic, i would not have even responded. Would have been moot to do so for the average diy person! Hope this helps a little, good luck with it!

John11042, July 31, 2013, 11:57

Thank you for the tip. Yes I was a mechanic for over 25 years until a over tighten bolt on a water pump in a truck did in my back. My career was over that day. I will try this tip tonight. One thing I forgot to mention is I can hear the tailgate window motor engage. The problem is the window just doesn't move up. If in fact I do have a bad motor do you have a suggestion on how I can get the tailgate to open as it seems I have no power to the switches which control the door locks. I sure cannot do anything in the way of a repair until I can get the tailgate to open to give me access. As I stated I had the regulator and motor and all modules replaced about seven (7) years ago and in all that time have not had the tailgate window all the way down except for many just a few times as I use it as a door to gain access to the back of this vehicle. I am still very puzzled as to how the window opened itself that 4 inches. Anyway I will try your tip however I don't think I have an open circuit. Thanks again for your time and suggestion. It looks like I will eventually end up at some garage to repair this problem. I just no longer have all the tools I once had. While I was in the hospital under going back surgery $4,000 of my snap-on tools were stolen from my locked toolbox at work. Yes I was very upset as would any mechanic I know would be. Anyway you take care and I will try my best to tackle this problem with what I have at hand.