Buick Q&A

2002 Buick LeSabre Question: I HAVE A 2002 BUICK LESABRE CUSTOM,AND I AM HAVING PROBLEMS WITH THE FUEL GAUGE.

taetaem, Cincinnati, OH, June 15, 2012, 15:05

HOW DO I FIX THIS? THE FUEL GUAGE PIN IS ALL OVER THE PLACE, MOSTY WHEN I GET DOW TO 3/4 TO 1/2 OF A TANK. DO I FIX THE FUEL PUMP? OR THE FUEL SENDING UNIT? WHAT DO I DO? I WANT THE CHEAPEST WAY THAT ACTUALLY WORKS BECAUSE I THINK $600 FOR SOMETHING THAT MINOR IS OUT OF THE QUESTION... I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO , WHERE TO GO, OR START. I NEED TO KNOW HOW MUCH GAS I HAVE AND IM TIRED OF CALCULATING MILAGE. PLEAS HELP. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP.

• Medium-star Best Answer
    mamma shelley June 19, 2012, 18:27

I had the same problem last year. You need to replace the Fuel Guage Sensor. Minor part, near fuel pump.

taetaem, June 19, 2012, 23:10

thanks... is that exactly what the part is called? like how much did it cost , and could you tell me exactly what I need to say to the mechanic???

ziptie12, August 02, 2012, 08:47

Hopefully you let the mechanic diagnose it , rather than you having him/her replace a part because someone elses car had 'that' problem. A single broken wire is an easy fix too , unless you have to remove the entire dash assembly to get to the wire. Then that fifty cent connector just turned into an expensive repair. My point being , for those reading this now (well after the original posting), is that some repairs can sound and look easy ,until the work needs done. Does a repair manual tell you how to deal with extreme rust or corrosion? No , they simply tell you to remove bolts or nuts , or dis-connect a connector that's been together undisturbed for ten years. It's all easy! yeah.....sorry , just tired of good tech work being so under-rated and mis-understood.

macdad April 16, 2014, 06:37

If you have read on here that many people have had the same problem, then you know that replacing the fuel sensor may also require replacing the fuel pump since they are integral - and it costs several hundred dollars. Most people take the easy and inexpensive way out of this: reset the trip meter every time you fill up the gas tank and fill up when it gets to around 250 miles.