Reviews for Hyundai Santa Fe years:

Hyundai Santa Fe Reviews and Owner Comments

Hyundai Santa FeOwner Reviews (121 reviews)
    Visitor, Port Gibson, NY, December 09, 2014 05:50
    My Santa Fe is a V6 and it hesitates when accelerating, as do the 4 cylinders listed in comments below. My car is now 3 years old, I bought is brand new, I am at almost 50K miles. Within the past 6 months I have noticed that when I turn the car off and get out of the vehicle I can still hear the car, it sounds like something is continuing to spin under the hood. This sometimes lasts as long as 10-15 seconds. The passenger door when shut sounds very tinny and hallow. Not overly happy with the way it grips the road, even after buying high grade tires. Also, and maybe this is normal, when I use the remote start I have to turn the lights in the car off and back on before my dash will become illuminated. But the car is reliable, I never have to worry about getting from point A to point B.
    rj-pa, Sunbury, PA, December 03, 2014 06:24
    Judging from the fact that there are only 2 other reviews for the 2006 model of the Sante Fe, speaks for itself - there isn't a lot that goes wrong with it, and it's pretty dependable, otherwise you would see more complaints on here. Glad I didn't get a 2002 model ;) I bought my 2006 brand new off the lot, and it has 167,000 miles on it. I changed the brakes myself every 40 -50k miles. I had the timing belt, and plugs changed at 50,000, and just had plugs changed again at 155,000. This year, 2014, I had to have the radiator, serpentine belt, alternator, battery, and air compressor changed, and now it looks like the catalytic convertor has went out. Routine maintenance. The engine and tranny are still going strong. I need to have the tranny fluid flushed as well as the power steering for routine maintenance. My GREATEST COMPLAINTS are: #1 the rear handles are cheap plastic, and have both broken off form my children - all under 6 years old pulling on the door handles to get in. #2 - the electric system is POSSESSED!!! the air conditioning fan will turn on/off by itself even when in the OFF position. The headlights would come on even when the car was off - I'd come out in the morning, to find the headlights on, and the car battery so dead, I couldn't unlock my car, so I had to crawl through the back hatch to unlock the car because #3 THE KEY DOESN'T UNLOCK THE DRIVER OR PASSENGER DOOR!!?!?!?!?!?! Why????
    Visitor, Severna Park, MD, November 21, 2014 10:03
    I have 301,000 miles on my Hyundai Santa Fe with the original engine and transmission. No major work done on either. But I knew that when I hit the 300K mark, the doors would fall off and the engine oil would all leak out, etc. Well, after the last oil change at 300K, the oil is now all leaking out. :-( Guess it's time for a new Santa Fe... Oh...and I got oil changes as required always at Jiffy Lube.
    kacilipthrott, Lake City, FL, November 13, 2014 11:19
    The best car, and most reliable I have ever owned. I was given this car from my grandmother at 170,000 miles... it is now just slightly under 200,000 miles. I have been the owner for nearly three years now and there is very little on what I can complain about. The car is a tank! Literally. I was in an accident with a uninsured driver recently and the only thing that was damaged was one axle. Easy fix and the car still drives well. I honestly think this car will last another 200,000 miles if the next owner keeps up with the maintenance. I am seriously considering getting another, newer model. The AC goes on and off sometimes.
    Visitor, San Pedro, CA, November 07, 2014 17:07
    I bought the 2007 Santa Fe GLS 2.7 engine. Not much power and fails constantly. Technicians can't ever seem to find what the problems are. Latest problems... front brakes grind and pulse like the ABS is coming on. $400 for a front end brake job. LDW and other lights coming on intermittently; never did find the answer to that one. Brake problem again. Replaced the ABS brake computer module for $2000. Other reviews show the brakes and lights to be a real problem that Hyundai and NTSB don't wan to pursue. Just got rid of that money pit. It actually quit on me 3 times on the way to getting some money for it. Got $8000 for it from a car auction house. In turn I got a 2015 Chev. Equinox 1LT. Leased it for less than $1000 down and $270 monthly payments. Very nice with enough bells and whistles for my taste. The $8000 will get me almost 30 payments. Works for me....get it...the Chev. works for me...the Hyundai didn't. Oooiiyyyyyy
    Visitor, Lake City, FL, November 05, 2014 04:55
    I purchased my Santa Fe new and it now has 298,000+ miles. No problems until the last 50,000 or so. Had to replace altenator, air conditioner conpressor, timing chain, and now having trouble with power steering. All said and done, this has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. Interior still looks new, flaking on paint though.
    Visitor, Denver, CO, November 03, 2014 10:34
    The master fuse relay went out, stopping the car cold. Fortunately, the Sante Fe had a little less than 60,000 miles on it, so warranty covered the expensive repair. My big gripe is that it is almost impossible to change a burned out headlight. You have to remove the entire headlight assembly (the large plastic piece). I saw a guy do it on Youtube, but while I could get the assembly off, I could not get it back on. I could not get the plastic to tuck beneath the sheet metal. The dealer says they replace headlight for $60! I don't have a quibble with the charge (anytime you get out of a repair shop for under $100 is a blessing) but to build a vehicle in which the consumer cannot even change the headlight is terrible. Based on this alone, I would not buy another Sante Fe (I have owned 2, but the lights on the first one never burned out, so I was not aware of the asinine design).
    Visitor, Davenport, FL, October 01, 2014 04:52
    For the most part I was very satisfied with my car which was purchased new. I maintained the recommended maintenance on the car and had a number of years without problems. The paint started to pill in 2011 I started having a problem when I get gas; the car will not start without significant difficulty. I have to press the gas pedal to the floor and give it a lot of gas once whatever needs to catch, catches. After a few minutes of giving it gas, the car is ok until the next time I get gas then the process starts all over again. I was surprised to read that so many other owners with the 2002 Santa Fe are experiencing the same problem. From reading another review I believe this may be related to the gas door. At all times the car accelerates on high, but runs slow. I frequently have to move my foot from the accelerator for it to pick up some speed. In addition from reading other reviews I also may need to have my power steering pressure lines replaced to address the squealing when I turn the steering wheel that increases in volume.
    Visitor, Carmichael, CA, September 19, 2014 07:29
    I purchased this car new 2004 6cyl 3.5L. It has been the most dependable vehicle I have owned. Only one major problem when a local mechanic installed a timing belt incorrectly and had to get dealership to correct it. Keep it maintained and the car will last. Occasional part replacement is normal for any vehicle. This vehicle has NEVER left me stranded.
    BabyM1711, Virginia Beach, VA, September 05, 2014 12:37
    I became the owner of a lightly used very well kept 2002 hyundai santa fe in 2012. I keep it in great condition. My paint is starting to fall off which i dont understand. I just had to fix a problem with my brake lights being on when the car wasnt. I have been have a serious issue when i get gas i cant get my car to work and when i finally do i cuts off on me when i am driving with my 3 year old daughter in the backseat. My daughter and i hav almost been killed because my car decided to cut off on me in the middle of a very busy intersection!!!! It is a horrible car i will never own another hyundai in m life and i will make sure my daughter doesnt either!!! RECALL THIS PROBLEM UNLESS YOU WANT A LAWSUIT ON YOUR HANDS FOR KILLING PEOPLE!!!!!
    apat, Youngstown, NY, September 03, 2014 20:21
    2007 Hyundai Santa Fe I am very frustrated with the car. Since the purchase the fuel sensors circuit A and B were already changed twice. My bolt joints and links were also replaced. Currently my two cylinders are not working causing misfire and engine check light go off. I definitely won't by Hyundai again!
    Visitor, Fairview, TN, September 03, 2014 20:02
    Bought it new on a snowy day in jan 04.no problems till 140000 had to replace cat converter.ran great other than reg maint till 200000 then had automatic tran rebuilt.fan switch for air and heat sometimes turns ofg and then back on.oh yea did replace front drive shafts at around170000 shafts were still good but boots were split and leaking greese.I've owned this hyundai going on 11 years. Its been a dear ole thing.I've thought about replaceing it a few times but haven't because no matter the repair price ots still much cheaper than a new car note.so I guess ill keep it as long as spare parts can be bought.yea 04 santa fe base model 4 cylinder automatic is a good ole car jist stay on top of maint and oil change and just ride on. Crank sensor waterpump were changed out some years back but this kinda stuff wears out on all brands of cars and trucks
    AK robin, Kenai, AK, August 27, 2014 10:52
    I bought my 2010 Santa Fe brand new for my wife. We now have over 80,000 miles on it. The AWD feature and ABS is truly excellent for Alaskan icy roads and deep snow. This rig gets around when many other 4x4's will not. I have the V-6 engine which provides good power availability, and for the first year I got about 21 to 24 mpg on long highway trips. I now get an incredible 30 mpg on the long highway trips. The interior is well laid out and the rear lift hatch is all very functional and acceptable. Hyundai has a great 100,000 mile warranty on the drive-train which is a good thing. The rear CV mechanism made a very loud popping sound when the vehicle was 1 year old. Hyundai replaced it free. Eight months later it did the exact same thing and they once again replaced it free of charge. I have had no issues since then. Overall a very good vehicle with great turning radius, gas mileage and winter handling capabilities. I'd characterize the ride as only mediocre. The oil filter is a canister style and changing it is a rather clumsy and silly affair. I've recently had a disagreeable odor when using the AC, although AC isn't used too often here in Alaska. Brake pads were worn out at 75,000 miles. A good SUV for the price.
    Visitor, Long Beach, CA, August 01, 2014 12:17
    Best car Ever! It always starts & rolls Great! I am the 3rd owner. I got the car in 2011 w/about 123,000 on it. It now has 140,000, The ONLY issues I have had are with my electric front windows. I simply got that fixed! I recently got a new timing belt, Left front axle replaced. I do however have a small power steering leak. I just use No leak power steering fluid & no longer have any issues. I will get it replaced eventually. I get an oil change every 3000 miles. My only complaint is the PAINT, my vehicle is white & the paint has turned (on the back of the vehicle) but I have noticed this with Several other Santa Fe's. I will DEFINITELY always buy Hyundai! I love my car! btw, Today 08/01/2014 there was a RECALL on 2001-2006 Santa Fe to replace the coil spring in 20 states look it up, just in case it applies to your vehicle.
    wvcarrin, Huntsville, AL, July 16, 2014 10:31
    AC will freeze you out. Gas mileage is around 20/21 mpg in town, 24/25 on the road, not what I would like for it to be. Handles very well. Had this car about a year now and need to have timing belt changed, previous owner "thinks" it was new when he bought it two years ago. I know it needs a tune up and that may help my MPG issue. It has 120000 miles on it.
    kellybrennan, Lake Worth, FL, July 12, 2014 08:50
    I bought new in 2002. Had problems with power windows sticking more than once. air conditioning quit at 60,000 miles. estimate- $!,000. Speakers blew, paint wore pretty fast. Replaced brakes. Noisy when turning from front right side at 80,00 miles. To replace spark plugs- $600 because three are hard to get to. Timing belt replacement estimate-$650-$800. Now the vehicle stalls when driving!! I read a lot of reviews about the faulty crankshaft position sensor being a MAJOR problem with 2002 6cyl Santa Fe's however when I called Hyundai they said it is VIN specific recall and ours is not recalled.How convenient! SHAME ON YOU HYUNDAI!!! such a dangerous issue and you won't own it! NEVER AGAIN!
    Visitor, Lake Charles, LA, July 02, 2014 14:10
    OVER ENGINEERED, COMPLICATED, MAINTENANCE NIGHTMARE
    gary belzman, Indio, CA, July 01, 2014 13:55
    This vehicle has been a lemon since day one. Bad A/C switches, Bad exterior Paint. Bundled cables in engine compartment issues. Seat Belt & Seat issues. Terrible gas mileage. 11 mpg. Just had injectors cleaned. no change. Wish we would have bought a Rav4 or 4 Runner from Toyota. Planning to trade this in soon on a new car purchase. Too many problems to list here. Just want it gone.
    Visitor, Duluth, MN, June 16, 2014 17:50
    I have had my 2004 Hyundai 3.5 V6 for 4 years. Everything is breaking on it. I am having engine trouble, transmission trouble, rear end problems. Many things have been replaced and it has become a big lemon. It still needs $1,000s in repairs. It has 142,000. My friend has a 2003 with 210,000 miles and has had no major problems. Just my luck. I wish Hyundai would have been the vehicle for me, but I will not look at another brand. This is suppose to be such a good vehicle according to brand and yearly ratings. I am very disappointed as I cannot afford to fix or get another vehicle.
    Visitor, Chicago, IL, April 01, 2014 15:35
    I bought my 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited new in November of 2009. Other than the two recalls I have only had to have it serviced once (covered by 5 year 60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty), granted the repair was minor, just replacing the gasket that attaches the rear wiper to the window due to it prematurely rusting (I think it was at 10,000 miles or so). I did replace the brake pads myself after 15,000 miles as factory pads were squeaking something awful in all weather conditions, the replacement pads still have good wear even though I live in Chicago & am in stop & go traffic constantly. I too have experienced the vibration effect from the back windows when traveling at higher speeds, it is unfortunate. Also, the cabin filter in the limited model is pricey & a pain to get to behind the glove box. All in all I have been very pleased with the performance & overall bang for my buck that I got with this vehicle, I would definitely purchase another Hyundai in the future based on my experience.
    Visitor, Youngstown, NY, March 23, 2014 10:07
    I just get the car and I am having some problem
    Visitor, Drummond Island, MI, January 30, 2014 17:42
    I have had the same problem with the tires. the dealership blamed me. said i didn't rotate my tires. i took Iy to a different shop and it was out of alignment. trany blew at 40k. Check engine light just went on. gas mileage sucks. i regret buying this vehicle. same noise as others when back windows are down.
    Visitor, Victorville, CA, October 16, 2013 14:24
    My 2004 Hyundai Sante Fe GLS (with V6 3.5L engine). Is still going strong and has 412,000 miles on it! This is the truth. Actually, it doesn't belong to me anymore I gave it to my daughter at 372,000. Its still only costing her the regular maintenance costs battery, rotors, starter, belts, and now tires. I love that car - I wish I'd bought another one. All you have to do is keep it lubed and it'll rung forever! I was trying to get it to 500,000 miles.
    Visitor, Coopers Mills, ME, August 07, 2013 14:29
    This vehicle has cost me for 2 electronic door lock units ,and now a fuel leak on the high pressure fuel pump has been quoted for repair as $4000. this on a vehicle that has only done 80000km .It will be sold as the maintenance costs are just too much
    Visitor, Tonawanda, NY, May 05, 2013 13:47
    This vehicle seems to have been made of no name poor quality parts. Premature failure of timing belt causing crank position sensor to fail before total destruction of engine. Too many ball joints tie rod ends and wheel bearing failures until I installed quality brand name parts. Now with new timing belt, tensioners idle pulleys, water pump, etc, there is a engine bottom knock. Seem like a main or counter balance bearing. All this with only 135,000 miles. The vehicle is very functional and I gave Hyundai a try because I wanted a standard transmission. The vehicle is very practical and I really like its ride and roominess but Hyundai missed the boat on RELIABILITY. For 2004, this vehicle is a terrible value.
    Visitor, Tacoma, WA, April 26, 2013 05:54
    ball of scrap
    Visitor, Stratford, NJ, April 01, 2013 14:24
    Just bought a 2005 hyundai santa fe.been checking out some of your reveiws hope what happen to you guy does not happen to me. I also bought a 2 yrs warranty. So far i must say that over all the car runs grate. Lets see what happens, I'm gonna make sure that i keep tract of every penny put into this car (or record). Anyway thank you for all your reveiws.
    Visitor, Carmel, IN, March 22, 2013 20:53
    2007 Santa Fe 6 cyl is a great every day drive. It does it all and comfortably too. Though not up to my 2007 Honda Accord EX-L's build, fuel efficiency or resale value, for every day transportation and comfort the Santa Fe can't be beat. I tried hard to build the case and trade it for 2004 BMW X5 also in awesome condition but when I looked at the BMW's repair costs, time in the shop, and or reliability, I ditched that idea quickly. Last year I loaded the family and drove it down to Disney World and the word comfortable comes to mind. Try that in a little road noisy Accord. This baby is a keeper. After 30,000 miles only my seat belt retractor and arm rest are broken, try that in a BMW!
    Visitor, Kissimmee, FL, February 21, 2013 19:31
    Who ever owns a 2001 santa fe and lives in florida the paint job gone. You need a 1,500 paint job they are all defective. There should be a class action suit against hyundai for making the 4 cycl santa fe junk. You fix one thing another one breaks.
  • 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
    hossein, Clinton, IA, February 19, 2013 00:38
    this is not sonta fe 2013
    Visitor, Macungie, PA, February 14, 2013 13:01
    I also recently purchased an 09 Santa Fe. Love the vehicle except that when you get upwards of 40 mph and over with the back windows down I also have an extremely loud pulsating noise in the cabin. This does not happen with the front windows open, only with either or both back windows down. If you open a front window, even slightly, the pulsating goes away. My mechanic said it may be an aerodynamic design flaw and suggested that maybe installing a set of wind deflectors over the windows may change the way the air flows over the vehicle. I may try this in the future after I contact the dealership and ask for their input. Otherwise, keep your back windows up or crack the front ones open to cancel out the pulsing. Happy motoring!
    Visitor, Cape Coral, FL, February 14, 2013 05:30
    I bought the 3.3 AWD new in August 2007. I am meticulous in maintaining this truck. I don't drive all that much so mileage is 55K in Feb 2013. This has been a great truck until now.......... but now it seems the truck is in real trouble. The major problem seems to be gaskets and the attendant oil leaks. The dealer can't seem to find or fix a second leak. After $1200 in repairs which included a surge tank gasket, 2 rocker cover gaskets, and a new generator assembly the truck is still leaking. Complaints about gaskets in the 2007 are all over the internet while Hyundai denies all. My advice is if you want to keep your truck for the long term don't buy Hyundai. I am pissed that true info on gasket issues is not available from Hyundai. A truly responsible and responsive manufacturer would be upfront about these type of problems. Shame on you Hyundai...... you've lost a customer. I would have bought a new one but not now!
    Visitor, San Antonio, TX, February 05, 2013 17:27
    Bought it new. Initially had some problems 140k miles on it. Has been all over the country time and time again. Over all, decent vehicle. Not terribly impressed with AWD in snow/ice but could be worse.
    Visitor, Gambell, AK, January 22, 2013 23:37
    its about clutch release fock,i have changed three times now and its only 20000km.so i want to know how to protract clutch release fock.
    Visitor, Sicklerville, NJ, January 20, 2013 17:45
    Brought it new, now have 166k miles oil change every 3500 miles, transmission services as scheduled, timing belt changed out at 100k. my only problems to date has been power steering pump at 165k dash clock and some paint on the hood and back hatch. I see the paint problem often and will be writing Hyundai a letter to see if I can get paint out of them. I currently own 4 Hyundais. All dealer serviced and very happy with all of them
    Visitor, Niceville, FL, January 20, 2013 05:32
    Bought 2009 Santa Fe new. Shortly after bumper to bumper warranty expired, it developed a knocking noise that dealer in Fort Walton Beach, FL will not acknowledge. Took it back to dealer in Pensacola, they replaced the axel but, still the knocking noise. It just seems like a cheaply made vehicle overall. We can't take chances, it could be dangerous. We will get rid of it, if we can. We will never buy a Hyundai again.
    PhilJC, Virginia Beach, VA, December 28, 2012 20:09
    This vehicle has been a 9 month nightmare! I purchased new in 2003 everything was perfect until 90 thousand miles. ABS pump failed had to replace. AC compressor pump failed had to replace. Alternator failed had to replace. Power steering leaking from undercarriage....Electrical issue...I'm working on fixing those next month. Now if I didn't have the skill to fix this nightmare known as 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe I would be paying a lots & lots of money out in labor to repair center/Dealer In parts Ive already spent well over 1000.00. I'm selling this peace of junk next year will never buy another Hyundai
    jamatos, Bayamon, PR, November 26, 2012 09:07
    Its a good car for work and travel.
    Visitor, Reading, PA, November 21, 2012 07:19
    brought 2005 hyundai santa fe, used at 133,000miles love the car its the best car i ever had. but im having troble with the brake light .i changed the light bulb 3x already so i figure it an electrical problem or maybe a fuse, afraid to take it to the hyundai dealer because they will charge for just looking at it, but other then that small issue, i do love the car.
    Visitor, Carmel, NY, October 16, 2012 17:12
    Bought My 2004 Santa Fe 3.5 about 6 months ago.. No complaints on the car at all.. Most reliable car i have had... got it with 280,000 miles on it, and it now has 288,000 mils in it.. I bought it from my mechanic, the original owner bought it new, had it serviced at my mechanics shop every time.. oil changes on time and kept it clean.. people see my car and think it is like a 2010 how clean it is.. i had it in another mechanic shop to do the oil change only because mine was on vacation, he told me he has never seen a Hyundai with 284,000 miles on it, with an engine in such great shape.. i will be doing the timing belt soon just to have it replaced,.. but i love the car... they say they can last up to 500,000 miles :) hope every one else likes there's..
    Visitor, Wewoka, OK, October 13, 2012 06:00
    Now it is the electrical system, light dimming and brightening, shifting affected, hiting the brakes seems to affect situation, stranded on trip, out of town Ford Dealship could not get a "code" when hooked up to computer. After a lost day, continued on to destination, drove about an hour before lights started dimming again. Took it to Hyundai Dealership in that town the next day, their computer could not get a "code" said everything was working right. Alternator was replaced 2 years ago at our expense. current problem happens ramdomly and gets worse the longer car is driven. Really scarry at night. Seems if you pull over and let the car cool for 30 minutes you can drive further with less problems until car heats up again. Can't afford to park the car. We have had so many problems with this car. Really frustrated with Hyundai, that they can't fix anything.We have had this car back to the dealership where we purchased the car so many times. Wonder if their computers are not set correctly to identify problems. They can offer whatever warranty they want because they know they don't intend to be able to "find" anything that needs to be repaired. Have a four hour trip next weekend and I am really worried about the car not making it.
    Visitor, Forest Park, GA, September 30, 2012 04:26
    I bought my 2008 Santa Fe in May 2009 with 30,000 miles on it. Aside from the recent air-bat recalls, I've been extremely satisfied with the vehicle itself. But yesterday I became EXTREMELY disappointed to find out that Hyundai, who mostly became known for it's 100,000 warranty and is one of their biggest selling points, will not honor that warranty for the power train if you're the SECOND OWNER. So I had a HARD wake-up call yesterday when the check engine light came on, the part involved was related to the power train, but I had to pay for the $300+ repair because my car now has 66,000+ miles. The other issue I had was the gas tank sensor fiasco - You fill up the tank and it reads empty...fortunately I was still under warranty for that one, but I read it repeats. AND after leaving the dealership from that repair yesterday, the check engine light came back up and now it came back with a misfire code for pistons 1 and 6. I'll let you know how that works out - they had to keep the car.
    Visitor, Miami, FL, September 11, 2012 06:09
    I drive a standard transmission Santa Fe with 200 thousand miles and still going good. This vehicle ages gracefully, without the noise and the quirks of many others. As long as oil is changed every 5000 miles, timing belt replaced every 75 thousand miles and tranny oil replaced every 100 thousand miles, this car will keep ticking. AC compressor and starter motor are not as good as the rest of the car, need replacement more often than the usual 100K miles. The starter sits below the exhaust manifold, keeps very hot and does not last as it should. The suspension is very smooth, a quiet and comfortable ride. Fuel economy is above average for an SUV. This car does not like ethanol gasoline. It is pretty high and its wheelbase rather narrow, so it rolls over easier, must be driven carefully, especially in sharp curves.
    Happy with Hyundai, Miami, FL, August 16, 2012 10:39
    I bough my Santa Fe new in 2003 and frankly it has almost 90,000 miles on it and it has only cost me about $400.00 in repairs outside of regular maintance. The Warranty is amazing! My CV Joints went at 84,000 and the dealer replaced them at no cost. I will probably buy a Tuscon when I can afford a new car.
    Visitor, Houston, TX, July 18, 2012 00:00
    Purchased my 2009 Santa Fe new Dec, 2009 - I hesitated at first because I do not know about it's durability. I loved it but after reading some reviews, it sorta gives me second thoughts. I had my tires replaced and aligned early this year (read some owners had this same problem) because the inner left side tires were being eaten away. The reason I am on here is because yesterday when I started the engine in the morning, it make a very loud scary squealing noise that seems to be coming from under the hood - the noise have not been repeated yet. Wondering whether anyone had the same problem and knows what may have caused it.
    Visitor, Manchester, CT, June 12, 2012 20:58
    I owm many car never have to go through this the gas light go on when I,m full then it go off then back on very nervous when driving on this condition cost $500 to fix this it should be a recall never heard of this not happy about this Santa fe.gervais
    Visitor, Wallingford, CT, June 01, 2012 14:36
    2005 Santa Fe Bought used with 24M miles on it. At 88,400 the cats went. Luckily (or so I thought) the dealership split the cost with me - over $2,500. Then at 85M miles on my way to MA with kids and hubby, the engine seized - yup - SEIZED. I had purchased the extended warrantee and was lucky to be towed to a very good garage. The warrantee covered it all - and it needed a whole new engine. The rods and pistons farthest from the oil supply had shut down. No explanation and it was not due to owner abuse - had all my oil change records every 3M miles on the dot with bottled oil. Now the new thing: check engine light comes on within driving 15 miles after every fill-up. Last Hyundai I'll ever buy. Going back to Nissans - last 2 I traded in at 275M miles and never did anything but brakes, oil changes, tires and belts. Rather pay the $$ up front an know I don't have to worry down the line.
    Visitor, Paris, KY, April 17, 2012 10:23
    I bought this vehicle (2.4L 4cylinder, front wheel drive) used with 29,000 miles 2 years ago. It now has 53,000(4/17/2012) miles. The only repairs made so far were because of the mechanic at the Subaru dealership not installing parts correctly, total cost of repairs were less than $200. I hand wash and vacuum the vehicle every other week. So far no maintenance cost other than what I said above. Just oil changes and tires. Outside trim still looks great, inside shows wear but not too bad. This vehicle has never left me stranded or stuck off road anywhere, very reliable. Only problems right now is the popping sound coming from front suspension every now and then (probably needs new gas shocks and struts), nasty smell when first turning on A/C, and after putting in drive after not driving for a while the transmission or something has a jerk to it. Ive had the transmission fluid changed and looked at and no problems with transmission.
    Visitor, Philadelphia, PA, March 27, 2012 10:39
    can,t remove spark plugs won,t budge seem frozen tried liquid wrench to loosen did,nt work
    Visitor, Bedford, OH, March 16, 2012 08:35
    I have a 2002 Santa Fe that I've had since 2008 I keep the oil changed at every 3,000 miles and have my fluids checked often, I've had my fuel system cleaned, and brakes of course changed it has been a great truck up until recently I noticed that everytime I put gas in it and go to start it back up it struggles to start. I have to give it gas and let it run for it to catch. I took it to a shop and they say I may have to take it to the dealer. Something like this I feel should be a recall because I always keep over a half tank in my truck and I take very good care of it.
    Visitor, Sour Lake, TX, February 28, 2012 08:51
    I bought my 2004 Santa Fe new and have made sure to use synthetic oil since driving it off the lot. I have replaced the brakes twice and the timing belt once...in 165,000 miles. My only real gripe is a fuse will go out every three months. My 2000 Tiburon had all kinds of problems (all covered by warranty) with stereo and transmission. It had 155,000 miles when it was totaled in 2009 by a Silverado on the driver side door. My 2002 Santa Fe had 85,000 miles when it was totaled in 2004 by a Dodge pulling a trailer hit us head on on our side of I-10. Except for the cracked glass from the airbags you couldn't tell on the inside that you had been in an accident. My 2009 Sonata has 88,000 miles and I haven't had an issue. I have been a Hyundai driver for 12 years and think every one should own one!!
    Romaninvegas, Henderson, NV, February 27, 2012 14:57
    I'm 16 yo and just "inherited" our families 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe with a V6, 2.4 liter engine, and 126,000 miles. We are the only owners of the car and haven't had any problems with the car. Sure there are the normal cosmetic issues attributed to it being 8 years old. The only things we've replaced were the timing belt at 100,000 miles, the speed and mile tracker, and the spark plugs only as a precaution. It still runs strong and I love driving it. The only reason I can see for people not having a good experience is because they don't take care of their vehicles.
    Visitor, La Crescenta, CA, February 22, 2012 22:18
    2001 Manual 4Cylinder One of the worst (i know that the 6Cylinder have less issues)this was one of the cars that gave me a job to do every weekend replacing everything and anything. The only good thing at 124k was the transmission motor gave out (tesnion pulley gave out on freeway and cylinder hit the valves) and to many other issues to list. Stay away from the 4cylinder Santa Fe.
    Visitor, Olympia, WA, January 28, 2012 23:14
    I want to start this post by saying we love our 2009 santa fe. We do a good amount of driving over the mountain passes and we fell in love with it. The all wheel drive handling was the best i have ever driven in the slick snow and ice! ALTHOUGH, we have been having some problems with it.. The stereo volume turns up and down on its own once in a while or just no sound at all, the only way to cure it is to turn the vehicle off and restart, that usually works. The ESC light and a few others come on out of the blue and again the only instant cure is turning off the vehicle. No driving issues have been noticed then this occurs! Totally agree with the rear window issues, we fixed alot of the problem by installing vent visors. Once again,we feel very safe driving but if anyone has experienced these problems please let me know!
    Wildcat401, Dallas, PA, January 23, 2012 10:24
    2005 Sante Fe Windshield Washer do not work, Fuses are new, hoses are clear need a new washer motor. how much is this repair going to cost also har rear wiper
    Visitor, Lake Worth, FL, January 14, 2012 10:27
    I bought my 2009 santa fe new in feb. of 2010. I have 37,000 miles on it and it has been properly maintained. Lately it has been starting hard, and each time it starts, the automatic temp control is on, even though I always shut it off the day before. Anybody have any idea what is going on?
    Visitor, Jacksonville, FL, December 16, 2011 16:21
    I have a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.3 litre engine. I do not have any promblem for 5 years. It still run strong and hit 70,000 miles. I hope it will run 300000 miles.I check carfax on the computer that owner had a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe hit 197,000 miles.
    Visitor, Bossier City, LA, November 22, 2011 10:55
    Bought my 01 Santa Fe with only 28 miles on it. My first new car purchase ever! Within the first few months of ownership, it left me stranded so many times the people at Enterprise Car Rentals knew me by name! The customer service at Hyundai is the worst I have ever experienced, they flat out LIE to you! Once I took it in because it would not start some of the time, they said you need a new battery. Upon returning home, my boyfriend popped the hood, told me there was no way they even checked the battery because the corrosion was piled up to the tops of the battery posts! He took it back, called them out and they replaced the battery! I have replaced sensors, at least four times. Once you hit 100,000 plan on no air conditioning, the compressor is out! Cost to repair $1,700. Fuel pump will be next, power steering fluid leak, the car has burned oil for years, they never figured out that! I will NEVER buy a Hyundai again....ever!
    Visitor, Columbia, MD, November 14, 2011 09:41
    My 2002 Hyundai Santa Fe begins to run very slow. It accelerates on high, but runs slow. I frequently have to move my foot from the accelerator for it to pick up some speed. Any ideas of what the issue is?
    Visitor, Orlando, FL, October 17, 2011 15:08
    I bought my 2009 Santa Fe used with 28,000 miles in near perfect condition. However after living with it for a while, I realized that the steering was not quite right. It is very sensitive from center, and at all speeds especially highway, it is very light and hard to keep in control. Hitting bumps bounces the steering wheel direction. Down a straight road it wanders constantly. The dealer has given it a 4 wheel alignment and says they do not experience this condition and can find nothing wrong. They say it is due to a firm suspension and light steering and is normal. I have driven many vehicles of various types and this is not normal. I am ready to sell.
    old spice, Clifton, VA, October 08, 2011 15:14
    It sounds to me as if the people here complaining have poor maintenance issues
    Visitor, Tarawa Terrace, NC, October 08, 2011 09:55
    @ Visitor, Greencastle, PA September 29, 2011... I just had the same issue took it into the dealership and was told my power steering pressure lines needed to be replaced as they were worn and leaking. End result is I did not have enough power steering fluid which was causing th squealing and when I would turn the wheel it would increase in volume. I paid for the replacement and it is running just fine once again... 130,000 miles and one of the best cars I have ever owned.
    larry mcallister, The Villages, FL, October 02, 2011 22:01
    this is 4cylinder limited model which dealer sold as new car even though it had 500miles on it, the car is aestetically nice but i fear every time i drive itupon acceleration it hesitates and feels like it is choking itself out,i have started to push on gas pedal while holding on brake to stop hesitation,,return to dealer found nothing wrong and advised i had been used to driving a v8 and need to adapt to slow 4cyclpulling into oncoming traffic with this thing hesitating if scary any advise??
    Visitor, North Olmsted, OH, October 01, 2011 08:08
    The person who said the card is great until 100,000 miles is right on. The car was great until it hit the 120K mark. The AC Compressor went and now at 140K, the transmission is going. Not happy.
    Visitor, Greencastle, PA, September 29, 2011 21:24
    I recently had my brakes and rotors replaced in my 2002 hyundai santa fe, and when i got it back there is a loud obnoxious squealing, not just ordinary it sounds like a train and i'm not even pressing on my brakes any suggestions??
    Visitor, Laveen, AZ, September 29, 2011 21:09
    2004 Santa Fe. 60,000 Miles. So far: seat fabric is wearing out fast. Water Pump is failing (which is why I came here). Trim pieces have fallen off the outside of the car. The windows don't go down any more (Except the driver window). The lights got stuck "on" one time and burnt out the battery. (note the lights auto-turn off when you take out the keys). They didn't. The A/C won't turn off tonight - try to turn it off and the contols short out and flash on and off. We've had seal failures cause us have to replace some part or other that cost $800 I can't find the record now of what it was. Replaced timing belt due to horror stories we found on the internet. Tires that come with the car wear out real fast in Phoenix desert heat. Fair enough. Sister in law bought same car, same model, same year, and her A/C has failed already and had to be replaced. I really despise this car.
    Visitor, Monterey, CA, September 27, 2011 18:52
    I see most people here have negative feedbacks on the santa fe . Ours is the 4cyl. 2.4 engine . Don 't know if it ' s the reason why , but we ' re up to 230,000 KM and never had any problems . Only had regular maintenance on it . Changed front and rear brakes once , timing belt at 117,000 KM ...
    Visitor, Celina, TX, September 16, 2011 12:15
    It seems the people who love this car have not hit the 100,000 mile mark. After that expect water pump to blow, ac compressor to fail, coils to need changing, and new timing belt system. Wow that is expensive! I am at 120,000 and just got the estimate for the ac compressor $1,085.39 dollars. Yikes!
    Visitor, Saint Albans, VT, August 02, 2011 16:42
    bought used with low mileage...the dealer has had in the garage more then i have...first two years, lets see. timing belt, throttle body, every sensor, stuck throttle and drove through garage, brakes didnt stop it. eats gas and wife drives it like a old lady..tune up took 2 days because you have to take half the motor apart to get to the rear plugs.......will never buy another Hyundai...EVER.....dont buy one they will suck you dry......ps I'm a master technician with over 34 years under my belt....this car sucks...
    Visitor, Pittston, PA, July 29, 2011 12:32
    I bought the 2009 new - I love the car but not happy with where I bought it. The only problems I have with it is that when you have the rear window open and not the front it makes a horrible vibratation in the car. Also been having issues with a noise coning from the front and no one seems to be able to tell me what it is. I've had it checked more then twice. I thought is was the break at first. It's worse when making a left hand turn. No help from the dealership!
    Visitor, Massapequa, NY, May 26, 2011 16:08
    Hyundai should be embarrassed to sell such crap. With less than 30,000 miles on it I have had problems with back seat breaking, wont fold down, wiper motor problems, passenger side window does not roll down, runner boards, its worse than any American car.
    Visitor, Dayton, OH, April 21, 2011 17:48
    Top to bottom, The interior isnt too bad, but the paint job (black) faded and the clear coat began chipping 4 years ago. The brakes were bad from day 1. Had it to 4 different dealerships since the first week and none could reproduce the rubbing.grinding noise in the rear end. Finally took to an outside repair shop and they said one of the calipers was shot! How could multiple trained Hyundai service techs miss this? All brakes needed to be replaced at 90k miles. Drive train is ok, but at 95k the alternator died and now the air conditioner compressor is going out. As for electrical, the turn signal and headlight post shorted out losing all lights while driving at night. The headlight covers also faded almost opaque at 60k miles. The exhaust is great though. The suspension creaks like a madman and the entire steering rack needed to be replaced at 20k miles. I bought this vehicle brand new and am the only owner. I would not buy one again.
    Visitor, Salem, OR, April 08, 2011 09:44
    Bought our 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe for our first retirement car. We now have about 65,000 miles on the car - mostly highway driving. The Santa Fe looks, rides, and drives like new. The Hyundai dealer has been great. We have had no problems with the car. We average about 20 mpg - sometimes as much as 23 mpg traveling cross country. WE LOVE OUR HYUNDAI.
    Visitor, Aguadilla, PR, April 07, 2011 18:58
    I bought a 2008 Santa Fe and initially was very happy with it, then it started to delay going from reverse to forward and when it kicked in it jerked forward, which we thought as just the 4 wheel drive kicking in until the transmission conked out and it was led off to the dealership. For only 75K Kms this is not good, but am waiting on Hyundai to say weather they will cover it or if I'm supposed to fork out $25K
    Visitor, Paris, KY, March 22, 2011 19:02
    I bought the 2004 santa fe in 2010 with 29,000 miles. It has been a year now and it is at 38,000 miles. So far no problems and has been very dependable. My driving includes city roads, country roads, and interstates. The suspension does make weird noises every now and then when going over rough terrain. The transmission is sluggish and sometimes wont go in gear. The interior has nothing special and is very plain/bland. It has plenty of room. The cup holders are very small and will not hold anything without the drink tipping over. It has a 4 cylinder engine and still gets bad gas mileage (22mpg average). The vehicle does NOT have ABS or traction control. 0-60mph in around 11 seconds. Driving on interstate (70mph) is smooth except on windy days. The car rides smooth from 0-100mph. You have to fight the car at higher speeds because it is light and sits up high. Brakes do not grip well and takes longer distance to stop. When the brakes are wet they make a loud sounds and do not grip well at all. Overall the car is overpriced for what you get. I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone unless you live in the city and drive very little.
    Visitor, San Diego, CA, March 12, 2011 13:19
    2001 Santa Fe... the biggest mistake I ever made. The clutch went out at 33000 miles... they made me pay for parts to fix it... later when it went out again, the NON-hyundai place told me that there was a problem with the flywheel and it looked to them like a factory defect and that whoever fixed it when I had the clutch replaced the first time would have seen it... yet hyundai would not take responsibility. A sensor chip when out during rush hour once and I was entering the freeway when the car just went dead... I had someone run a diagnostic on it and took the results to hyundai yet they changed the timing belt instead... I also had a door lock that didn't work and I took it in and when I went to pick it up, they told me it was not broken so I made the guy come over and press the lock and it was broken... i asked him how after three months of being broken did it work for him when he tested it... not only is the vehicle a lemon - the customer service is the worst I've ever experienced. NEVER AGAIN... and I won't sell it to anyone but a dealer either...
    classie8, Russellville, AR, March 02, 2011 08:21
    In response to the comment about the compressor not kicking on. I have had this problem for the last 3 years and it is continually getting worse. Finally after 10+ trips to the dealership and much frustration of dealing with them my dad started knocking around on the dash. We have figured out if you hit the glove box you can make it come on. Frustrating to have to do this I know but I have also been there without ac wishing to get anything to work. I took my car in to the dealership recently to get the cruise control fixed which has also not worked right from the beginning and they are supposed to be on the phone with a Hyundai tech support going over the wiring harness to fix the ac problem. Lets hope this helps. Anyway just thought I'd let anyone know in case they have similar problems and frustrations.
    Visitor, Suffield, CT, February 22, 2011 12:51
    bought used in 2008 with about 53K on it from a Hyundai dealer, by fall 2009 the blow hose blew every seal in the transfer case, there was no ATF left in the car and the case had to be rebuilt costing quite a bit of money...there is a TSB out on this but they wont put it as a recall. My speakers in the front doors are shot and the electrical is so messed up we cant properly replace the speakers ourselves because speakers from an auto store only half work once installed. In having it for not even 3 yrs I'm on my 3rd or 4th gas cap cuz it turns the check engine light on with an EVAP leak. Oh and "simple" maintence of spark plugs is a 6-7 hr job by a mechanic and costs about $700 is the current estimates due to the burying of the rear 3 plugs by Hyundai...I will NEVER get another Hyundai
    Visitor, Muse, OK, January 21, 2011 06:33
    I purchased my 2008 Santa Fe on April 1, 2009. Yes, I thought I might be the April Fool's joke for doing so, but I had compared it to all the smaller SUVs in its class. I have now owned it for almost two years. I am quite happy with it. I get an average of 22 MPG, but on vacations I have gotten 26 MPG and 28 MPG! That's amazing for its size. My only complaints are the interior and the road noise. The interior is not as "plush" as I'd like it to be and the road noise can be a bit louder than I prefer. But, other than those to MINOR complaints, I love it so far. I have had a bit of a problem with the left headlight. The dim sometimes doesn't want to work, but the bright will. I assume something is loose, but haven't had it fixed yet.
    Visitor, Woodsville, NH, January 10, 2011 19:41
    I bought mine second hand...a 2009 Hyundai Sante Fe...I love it...but I totally agree about the back windows...what is up with that. The first time I rolled down my window, I thought I had a flat tire...from the noise. Also, the acceleration is weird...when I coast, the car almost stops. I have to step on it and rev it...kinda uncomfortable. Other than that...love it... Mileage, not so great...I think the counter lies....no way am I getting 20 mpg. Still love it...pray for it everyday...My husband wrecked his vehicle...this a spur of the moment purchase...hopefully it lasts:)
    Visitor, San Juan, PR, January 01, 2011 22:17
    i bought 2010 hyundai santa fe and run only 4400 kms. first day only the auto folding mirror didnt work, than the cigarette lighter was missing, after that the cigarette lighter fuse goes out automatically, now the display one the audoi screen is out. so i dont know again what else is going to be off. horrible car of the year
    Visitor, Sanford, NC, December 28, 2010 12:53
    Bought new in 03. 165,000+ miles. Keep the maintenance up. Had some issues initially with EGR and rough running, took 3 tries but fixed under warranty. Had power steering fixed twice. Had to replace AC compressor. Windshield washer quit 3 years ago. Having an issue with the dash lights, they go off sometimes, slap the switch or turn the lights off and one and it starts working again. Overall been a pretty good car. I'm 64 so not all of my standard equipment works 100% either.
    Visitor, New Lebanon, OH, December 11, 2010 09:51
    I own a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe... it now (June 2010) has 109,000 miles on it and is still such a wonderful vehicle. I like that it is a SUV but yoiu wouldn't know it if you judged by the MPG this SUV gets. I frequently take a trip that is just a little over 500 miles round trip and evrey time when I have completed the trip I have a quarter tank of gas (maybe a little more) left. I fell in love with this car the first time I drove it. It has never given me any problems. Would I buy another? Absolutely!
    Visitor, Los Altos, CA, December 11, 2010 09:50
    The worst car I will hopefully ever own. Horrible a/c system, if you are riding in the back you don't get any air...Replaced o2 sensor 3 times, fuel filter 2 times, difficulties with the transmission. Would not recommend purchasing.
    Visitor, Hanover, PA, December 11, 2010 09:49
    The 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe is the worst car I have ever owned!!! It's been nothing but a huge money pit. I will NEVER Buy another or reccomend a Hyundai to anyone. I will tell anyone that listens all of the issues that I've had with this car so that I can hopefully prevent them from making the same mistake I did by buying one.
    Therock, Corpus Christi, TX, December 02, 2010 19:39
    Wife's car,low milage. Several trips from Texas to Louisiana and back. Very good service; total problems, gas door sticking-replaced under warranty; air conditioner failed-replaced compressor, out of warranty; passenger's window stuck up-will get fixed next week, out of warranty. Gas milage-This is a small V-6 and if you push it hard your milage will be 12-14 mpg in town. If you limit the engine to 3000 rpm, except when really necessary, your can get 16-20 mpg in town. Go easy and it pays. Good car, good service.
    LongviewGirl, Longview, TX, December 01, 2010 04:41
    I absoultely love this car. It had some issues at first with the cadillac converter and manifold, but they got it fixed and everything's good now.
    Visitor, Grain Valley, MO, November 15, 2010 06:22
    This is the best vehicle i have ever bought! Knock on wood never had a problem with it! I would buy this suv over and over again. I have had it for 6 years now. I have never been unhappy with it!
    Visitor, Toms River, NJ, November 12, 2010 12:09
    This is my 4th Hyundai, They get Better & Better.........one of the BEST AutosYET. GOOD Luck
    Visitor, New Bern, NC, November 10, 2010 17:01
    2.4 l engine is weak broke both inner and outer timing belts 2 ignition coils crank sensor down stream catalytic convertor. dealership rapes you for these repairs suggest you get honest mechanic to look over timing belts because it could cause major damage internaly. supposed to be replaced at 60,000miles at 600$ catalytic costs over 1,000$ at dealership do it yourself arond 250$. since i bought new handeling sucked almost like a lead box on 4 wheels. will never purchase another hyuandai P.O.S again,nuff said.
    Visitor, Mcdonough, GA, October 14, 2010 05:26
    This car has been very reliable and essentially maintenance free for the last 4.5 years we have had the vehicle (~65,000 miles). I would suggest running a better Michelin tire on the vehicle.
    Visitor, Plano, TX, September 29, 2010 11:44
    Bought my 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe in 2007 with 54,000 miles. No repair issues whatsoever. Runs like a champ with 83,000miles on it now. I service it and it runs well. I will buy another one to replace this one some day.
    Visitor, Charlotte, NC, September 20, 2010 13:40
    Terrible car... somehow the fuel purge valve is stuck so i cant put gas in my car!!!!!!!!!!!! 95.00 Diagnostic test and then they will let me know whats wrong. 2005 with 92000 miles.... TERRIBLE CAR!!!
    Singlemom, South Weymouth, MA, August 31, 2010 12:37
    I purchased new had problems with the breaks in wet weather at low speeds since day one. Told dealer can't reproduce problem from day one. Made to purchase all new rotors and pads for this at less then 20,000. Problem still there. Gave up talking to dealer about it. Years later TSB about it but told the year of my truck is right but not month so its not my break problem. But it is 100% what my breaks did since new. Have had to change sensors for all types of things. A lot of bubbled surface Rust showing under hood on hood support beam in front of hood. Ball joint, Power steering pump, 4 elec sensors, replaced. Now axle boots leaking grease and tie rod boot leaking grease and ripped. I feels like I have replaced parts in all areas many the minute it hit 60,000 and was no longer covered. The breaks from o miles to present. Oh and the raido since the truck was new was replaced 3 times. Paint chipped off the orig. after 2 months of owning (purchased truck new). Replacment radio stopped changing stations 3 or so months after being put in and the display went out and paint on station keys chipping off again (I don't have long nails either). 3rd radio has the same problem only it comes and goes. At times station won't chnage and display is out click off and on it comes back on and works paint chipping off in same places as others. Though by the time the 3rd replacement radio started the same problems as the others it was no longer covered even though it was the 3rd replacment since the car was new with the same problems. I feel disappointed because for over $20,000 for a new top line Santa Fe I thought buying new meant I would not have to keep going in for repairs or breaking down like I would having an older used car. It is my first new car and I feel the old used cars I've had all my life were not less reliable then this purchased new one has been. How messed up is that. I am just as afraid to travel with this Santa Fe I brought new as I was with cars I brought used that were over 10 years old and that was not supposed to happen. As well I have followed the service requirments and have been an easy driver on the truck and the only driver.
    Visitor, Saint Charles, MO, August 10, 2010 15:17
    The 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe I own is the worst car I have and hopefully will ever own. I have numerous problems with the transmission. I have had three new transmissions and two new engines and blew the crankshafts once. The air condition condenser went out once, and if it wasn't under warranty I would have immediately gotten rid of the car. I am certain that after 100,000 miles when the warranty is up I will have no choice but to get rid of the car due to an inevitable catastrophic failure.
    Visitor, Palm Springs, CA, July 18, 2010 22:20
    I bought my car new in 2001 and have almost 200,000 miles. Have definitely gotten my money's worth. Am disappointed in the quality of the factory paint as clear coat is failing.
    Visitor, Coatesville, PA, July 11, 2010 20:04
    Horrible/excruciating interior noise when rear windows are opened while driving...so bad that it hurts your ears!!! Front suspension was never very surefooted...sometimes floaty/bouncy and other times jarring...recently developed a very loud knocking noise from the right front suspension (vehicle has 33008 miles)...will be taking the vehicle to the Hyundai dealer for diagnosis of this issue and hopefully a repair covered by the warranty...
    Visitor, Hollywood, FL, July 09, 2010 05:44
    2007 Santa Fe. The A/C compressor dos not turn on for 10-15 min after I start the car, specially on extremely hot days. Dealer cannot find the problem. That stinks.
    Visitor, Rochester, NY, June 28, 2010 13:00
    I've had this SUV since August 2009. I love it. It's the best vehicle I've ever owned & I will definitely be in the market for another one when I'm done paying for this one. My warranty is 10 yrs or 100,000 miles. It'll still be under warranty after the loan is paid. My dealership is the best (Vision Hyundai Henrietta). I've got no complaints except for the idiot who broke off the back windshield wiper arm. Coward didn't even leave a note & of course it's not covered under the warranty. Oh well, it's not the dealer's fault or a problem with the vehicle, just the way things are.
    Visitor, Sheppard Afb, TX, June 18, 2010 20:00
    I bought a 2009 Santa Fe Limited... I was blown away this SUV. However, I took my new car through the carwash and the sunroof leaked! This was a feature that was very unwanted. Today (18 Jun 10) I have had 4 repairs on said sunroof and it still leaks! What makes matters worse is the dealership trained professionals are trying to tell me that sunroofs are designed to leak. BE ADVISED
    Visitor, Stormville, NY, June 18, 2010 15:00
    the only thing wrong is it cuts out while driving . and stalls when stop can any one help with this
    Visitor, Rockledge, FL, June 12, 2010 15:03
    I have had to many problems wrong with my santa fe for this reason dont like hyundais anymore
    bartmam, Niles, IL, June 10, 2010 19:01
    eng 2.7liter I bought this in dec 2009 check engine light come on at 2873 mlies car will not go faster then 25 mpr had to have it fix 2 times for this Wind noise when back window is open will make your ear hurt
    elk, High Rolls Mountain Park, NM, June 09, 2010 18:07
    We bought this Santa Fe 2003 new from day one. One recall and it was fixed by Hyundai, had to do with brakes and ABS. It handles well in snow with 4x4 package. Now the bad stuff. Cruise control and speedometer stopped working, this was fixed by Hyundai. Steering hoses started to leak fluids, replaced at my cost. It cost me over $275 to replace 6 spark plugs. Doing so, you have to replace the exhaust manifold gasket, when removed to change out plugs. Starting having issues with air bag light coming on. This was fixed under warranty, but the light came on again a year later and it was fixed by dealer under warranty. Now a year later and the air bag light is on again for the third time and its now out of warranty. I'm told that the air bag may fail to work in a collision if air bag light continues to stay lite. The AC comes on when it wants too, even if you have it in the off position. I still get 25-29 mpg highway. Now the check engine light comes on every time we fill up with gas. I replaced the gas cap with a new one and the check engine light went off for about a week, but now its back on again. It has an awesome stereo system. But I would not recommend taking this Santa Fe for long trips, its hard on your back and legs. The seats are not very comfortable. Would I buy another Santa Fe, probably not.
    elk, High Rolls Mountain Park, NM, June 09, 2010 17:53
    I have the 2003 Santa Fe. From day one I noticed you can't drive around with the rear windows down, or you will get that terrible noise and severe air pressure that wants too blow out your ear drums. I have never complained about it to Hyundai, but it does happen.
    Visitor, Painesville, OH, June 08, 2010 20:22
    The front suspension on the 2010 Hyundai Sante Fe is TERRIBLE. I plan on trading in this vehicle. HYUNDAI FIX THE SUSPENSION. IT IS JARRING. Consumer Reports agrees!! PLEASE HYUNDAI FIX THE SUSPENSION.
    Visitor, Newaygo, MI, June 06, 2010 08:26
    Original Bridgestone tires were out of round. Rear brakes dragging created a high frequency vibration. Dealer would not repair under warranty. Other problems: wiper fell off. Loose rubber seal around windshield. Compass malfunction. Crank sensor malfunction in heavy traffic. Oil leak from oil filter shortly after purchase. Vehicle was bought new.
    Watcher, Santaquin, UT, May 27, 2010 19:05
    Just bought the car about 5 months ago a Santa FE 09. I have had nothing but issue with the Santa Fe. right off the lot it need to have the a front end wheel alignment, Not just once but twice with in one day of each other and still had to take it back a third time on the third day. I have been in the dealer with blown fuses on my lighter it's eaten 15 fuses in 5 months. Brake switch replaced twice. And Now the last straw is with the warmer weather I like to row down the rear windows and have the front ones up { I don't like wind blowing in my face}. With the back windows down it creates such a NOISE that it hurts your ears and if you talk your voice is choppy. I called the dealer and they clammed they have never heard of this before and that it is a design flaw and there is nothing they can do to resolve it. I would Like to hear from other owners of Santa Fe 2009 models and open the rear windows and leave the front up and tell me if you get ear shattering pulsating noise. .... I would love to get enough people who have this same issue and force Hyundai to fix or replace design flaw. Today I went and talked to the Useless car dealer owner Blake Murdock in Layton and wanted to them to fix or replace the car. They offered me half of what it is worth. What a slap in the face. I would even be happy if he put some forth a faith about the subject. But he could careless to my issue, he got his money. I can live with blown fuses and the alignment.. But when you can't roll down the rear windows with out going deaf that's where I call the line. It is not only a SAFETY ISSUE but Heath hazard due to hearing loss. There Slogan is : "UR the Heart of our business" has been our motto and our creed. Our customers truly are the heart of our business. We are not interested in merely satisfied customers. We want fans!!! We know that real success comes from repeat business. We want you happy for this purchase and for every new car to come. This is why we came up with the "No Regrets" Promise. All lies, I have Major REGRETS and they don''t care. I asked about what they would do for a trade in and they offered me less then half of what I paid/ owe. I was even willing to trade for a used car as a straight across trade. but they wouldn't do that..... That's alright though I talk to thousands of people a day around the US, and building rapport with people I love to tell them of dealings I with Hyundai and my Santa FE. so if I can help someone else out from making the same mistake that I did, I feel a little better about my misfortune, just a very very small bit.
    Visitor, Dillsburg, PA, May 25, 2010 18:11
    Pretty Good car----2008
    Visitor, Lakeville, MA, April 29, 2010 18:12
    we had a 2004 santa fe and in nov. 2008 my wife was hit the left rear causing the sar to due a 360 in the air land on its right side and slide for 20 ft. hit the curb and right it self , the santa fe was totaled. she walk away from the crash with only a few bumbs and sarced as hell. (note) was wearing her seat belt !!!!!!. we know own a 2008 santa fe and love it.would recommend the santa fe to any one. jim warren lakeville,ma
    Visitor, Los Angeles, CA, April 19, 2010 13:13
    Great car. Exceedingly reliable. We have nearly 65,000 miles on ours and have never had a single problem or issue with this vehicle. Personally, I don't think the vehicle is super attractive on the outside, though my husband really likes how it looks, but the interior (minus the fabric on the seats) is nicely designed and comfy. We're both tall people and we're both comfortable driving and riding in the car, even for long distances. Super reliable. Other than basic maintenance, this car has cost us next to nothing to operate. Plus, it gets great gas mileage for an SUV (we only have to fill up once or twice a month, at most...and we live in Los Angeles!). We're going to keep this car until its wheels fall off (which, as far as we can predict, won't happen unti it has at least 400,000 miles on the odometer); it's just a great car.
    birdlady, Saint Peters, MO, February 19, 2010 13:52
    Bought this car in 2002 - over time have spent $1800 and $800 on repairs - can't remember what has been done - it has been a few years. I have 145,000 miles on it. I have a new battery and 4 new tires aside fro the other 2 maintenance bills I had. It has been a great car.
    de003ya, Baltimore, MD, January 11, 2010 12:34
    just bought the truck 12/9/09 and it has 33,404 miles on it. 2wks into having the truck, my check engine light came on.. Full bumper to bumper warranty, so i took it to the dealer in Clarksville, MD.. tech comes out and says it was the 3rd cylinder spark plug and he says he replaced it.. Not 24hrs later, i get up the next morning and it's misfiring again.. so i go to another Hyundai dealer and he says the problem is the same thing i went to the original dealer in Clarksville where i bought the truck from.. So, they give me the run around about some codes on the diagnostic system and say that in order for them to repair what was suppose to be repaired their system has to show "misfire" as well because right now it's showing a historical code.. Long story short.. they end up keeping my truck for two days to say, oh it's the spark plug and the coil pk and that the original tech at the dealer,never changed the plug.. Nonetheless the problem was what i told them in the first place and they pretty much knew it but gave me a hard time anyway.. Just strange that a 08 truck with that low of miles would have problems already with the coil pk and plugs??
    31forder, Fayetteville, PA, January 02, 2010 17:26
    My wife drives our 2002 Sante Fe (2.7V6) and has over 120,000 miles on it and she gets 26MPG. We did have the crankshaft sensor replaced under warranty. The drivers window glass fell down inside the door last year, as the bolts came loose (My wife smokes and uses the drivers window drivers window alot). After removing the interior door panel and reinstalling the bolts with Loctite it was no problem to fix. I change her engine oil and oil filter every 3,000 miles and the air filter every 18,000 miles . She had all fluids and timimg belt changed at 70,000 miles. The driving light bulb's are a pain in the butt to change. I do agree with hondo that the rear three spark plug's are a pain to change. Other than that this has been a great car own..
    birdmaninc, Waynesville, NC, December 26, 2009 01:50
    i bought this car for way to much. the same day the flywheel broke off. got that fixed then 2wks later all power windows quit. then 4 mths later it jumped time and messed up the motor. I will never never never buy another Hyundai again. head my advice Stay away from Hyundai
    EdH, Carthage, NC, December 08, 2009 22:26
    I now have over 18,000 miles and have enjoyed driving this car emmensly. The only complaint I have is that the tires all have suspisious ware on the insides causing cupping and loud tire noise. I have had it looked at by my tire dealer and will have to go back to the dealership to have them look at it as the tire dealer indicates the suspension is not in spec.
    nerdslashpimp, Hutto, TX, November 14, 2009 20:52
    The only issue I've ever had was a brake light fuse. Other than that, this car is stellar, and I believe the best in it's segment. Fit and finish is superb, the V6 is capable, ergonomics are great, and all this.....wait for it....."for a Hyundai!" :) Let me make absolutely clear, this is not the Hyundai of the 'Excel' days. This is the new Hyundai, who have improved their product by leaps and bounds, faster than anyone could have thought possible. What else is good? The stereo. The minimal levels of road noise. The fabric quality of the seats. The strength of the A/C (it has no problem with Texas heat.) The glasshouse like visibility. The engine note is even pleasant, and the chassis rigid. The weighted firmness to the power steering. The doors even shut securely like my gone but missed mid 90s E-Class MB. One minor fault is that the seats, when pumped to full with the 'lumbar adjustment' feels like it has a balloon in the middle, and is pressed upon your back. Anyway, this is my girlfriends car, and it makes my current Acura RSX a tinny, harsh, and high strung place to be.
    rett70, Aiea, HI, September 27, 2009 20:07
    My wheels are fine runs well until the problem occured on the timing belt. The car was running smoothly then parked for three hours at a function. About to leave and tried to start the engine and it was just cranking and not turning over. Where I am at here in Guam it is hard to get parts for a Santa Fe I had to order my parts from off island. I read an article online that stated if there is a problem with your timing belt while you are driving is could be major..Yes indeed it did...just from the timing belt I had to change, timing belt, timing guide, crankshaft sensor, valves intake and exhaust and all the seals, now having to change all the valves we discoved another issue crack head now I need to order the valve guides and have a machinest on island shave. It is hell for when your timing belt gets busted.....REMEMBER THIS: DO NOT CRANK YOUR CAR IF IT IS HAVING A HARD TIME TO START...DO NOT ASSUME IT IS YOUR STARTER CHECK YOUR TIMING BELT/GUIDE AND SENSOR IF THEY ARE OK. HAVING TO KEEP CRANKING CAUSES YOU TO BEND THE VALVES THAT COULD CRACK YOUR HEAD....WARNING DON'T! LOVING PEOPLE FROM GUAM
    kay_1, Pittsburg, CA, March 17, 2009 12:08
    Highly Satisfied! Very comfortable seats, drives more like a car so it is easy to maneuver; excellent stereo sound system, have 107,000+ miles on it ! Replacement Maintenance costs estimate from 2002 - 03/2009 have been $2200.00 total had timing belt and brakes replaced - 2nd set of front brakes need replacement - on 2nd battery, one brake light replacement, replaced Bridgestone with Michelin tires, air filter
    hondo, Brandon, MS, January 09, 2009 09:54
    Bought this car new in 2002. Had a minor computer problem several months after the purchase and it made the transmission shift sluggish. The cat was still under warranty, they fixed it, service was great and have never had that problem again. This is the 2.7 V6 gets 28MPG average. Since 2002 I perform most of the standard maintenance myself and these are the results: original set of BF Goodrich tires lasted 80,000 miles, replaced the front brake pads at 80, 000 miles just because, the back pads are still the original, I change the oil every 3,000 to 5,000 miles with Valvoline over 75,000 miles. Changed the plugs this time with the new iridium and changed wires. Just put in a new battery. The struts and shocks need changing and I will do that soon. Downside: the back three plugs are a pain; you need to remove the plenum. Some of the silver paint is pealing from the plastic panel on the passenger side. I forgot to mention this SantaFe has 128,000 miles.
    Starman2, Sunbury, OH, September 14, 2008 11:28
    With the exception of brakes I find this vehicle to be a very good one. At 50160 miles I had the pad on my front left brake drop off on the road. Subsequent brake job revealed five of the eight pads completely unbonded to their backer plates. Average mileage since I drove it off the lot is 24.6 mpg. and about 1/3 is town driving.