Reviews for Hyundai Elantra years:

Hyundai Elantra Reviews and Owner Comments

Hyundai ElantraOwner Reviews (70 reviews)
    Visitor, Morganton, NC, April 14, 2014 18:01
    installed new purge valve sensor. Check engine light is still on. will it reset its self?
  • 2011 Hyundai Elantra
    Visitor, Noyes, MN, March 03, 2014 19:55
    Bought a 2011 Elantra limited with Nav . Has had a shimmy between 30-45 mph was told exhaust was the cause, after new tires and alignment shimmy still there , no fault found. At 30,000 the radio and nav decided it no longer wanted to work, replaced ,never worked proper since - no fault found. 50,000 the engine needs to be replaced - was told this engine has a problem and the new engine would have the same problem because Hyundai has not figured out the problem. Long story short its a POS and it is now traded in on a civic. Should have bought the civic 3 years ago
  • 2013 Hyundai Elantra
    Visitor, Morris, OK, January 09, 2014 00:16
    I wish I had never bought this car. It pulled to the left really bad at about 250 miles, they had to switch around the tires, repair some things and switch out others. Now I can never rotate the tires. Also for the price I paid very poor options. I hate this car.
    Visitor, Jacksonville, FL, January 06, 2014 09:51
    Love my Elantra Touring but an having issues with the clear coat on exterior handles and now the mirror peeling. Hyundai has covered the handles but are now not covering the mirrors. Very disappointed in how I am being treated. I do not take it to be washed often. They stated that they have never seen anything like it before. Where else is the paint going to start peeling on my red car? Anyone else having this problem?
    pariss333, Henderson, NV, July 12, 2013 22:08
    I have the car since 1/29/2009, so far 51.000 miles only brake light switch replace it 3 times and no charge under warranty and actuator mode A/C replace it. I'm doing 38.5 MPG hwy and I got 40.8 once in long trip. I'm very happy and don't plan to trade it for 2011,12,13,or even 14. The new Elantra was made with a lot of mistake, wrong interior design, under hood, and trunk door. I still have 60 % of brake pad. I'm planning to do my own transmission fluid change and replace the filter, cause Dealer don't do it unless you paid a lot to them and its very simple. My car is very steady, feel good, I turn slow, brake before to turn so I don't hurt the suspension parts. Never hard start and hard stop. Allow the transmission change gear slow and easy and mine is automatic. ---- driver seat are comfortable, radio wonderful, I like all inside, under hood space and the under hood foam that was eliminated in the new model. ---- I'm planning to keep my Elantra Se 2008 for long time and I will starting putting my hands on it, cause you never know how and what all those mechanic do in your car.
    Visitor, Sault Sainte Marie, MI, May 10, 2013 08:47
    The car was ok for the first few years, was getting good gas mileage avg 35 on the highway until the 60,000 mile check up and then it dropped to less than 20. I asked the dealer service dept. about it and he blamed it on the winter weather and the additives they put in the gas although it has warmed up and still is not any better and it never did that any other winter. I've had to had the brakes done 3 times, new tires every 2nd year, 2 tie rods. Don't know if the dealer is just milking me now or what, I'm a little skeptical at this point. The door handle has broken twice - the first time it was covered under the warranty, but this second time it will cost $50.00 even though I still have same warrenty coverage. Was told at the time of buying that the 30,000 and 60,000 mile required check-ups would be $500 - the first one was, but the second was more like $800 and that's when things seemed to start going downhill. When it's time for a new one will not buy this make again.
    Visitor, Portal, GA, April 03, 2013 11:36
    This has been the best car that I have ever owned. Other than routine maintenance, a battery, and occasionally bulbs for headlights, I have really had no problems with this car. I have had to replace tires twice, but that could have just been a bad set that I got the second time. I have only recently had to replace the front brake pads, and I have more than 105,000 miles on this car. It has never left me stranded, gets great gas mileage, and has required no more than normal maintenance. I highly recommend this car if you're in the market for a small car.
    Visitor, Rochester, NH, February 11, 2013 17:03
    Front brake rotors seem to be rusting off the vehicle. Bolts on fron caliper seem to rust too excessively also. Transmission does not shift smoothly, and never really did. Also had a relay go bad and lock transmission in low hear. Stupid design flaw if you ask me. License plate lights melted cover lens. Engine really started getting weak at 60k. At 130k I could probably get out and push it faster, but there have not been any major repairs to it. Can't seem to get a good alignment on it and it keeps chewing up tires.
    Visitor, Unionville, VA, January 23, 2013 06:51
    i got my brake lights out, now have 337,000 on it, still going like energizer bunny.
  • 2013 Hyundai Elantra
    Visitor, Niagara Falls, NY, January 07, 2013 20:52
    I like my 2013 elantra other than the fact that the Daytime Running Lamps do not work appropriately, the glove box needed replacement due to not staying closed and the car gets tossed around in the wind. Also was very hard to drive in the mountains of PA, WV VA etc.. Other than that a great commuter car.
    alien8158, Moosup, CT, December 22, 2012 13:54
    My car has 140790mi. At 80500mi the drivers rear brake was draging causing rotot to get ruined. Replaced rotor caliper and used ceramic pads. Now the brake is dragging again. What is causing this problem?
    Visitor, Washington, DC, November 27, 2012 10:25
    Car has been faithful but is getting old by today's standards. I kept up the maintenance regularly. When it hit the 60K+ mark 1 1/2 yrs ago, there was the 60K maintenance to be done - engine work. Cost about $800. At about 69K the check engine light came on - the O2 sensor had to be replaced; because the car was built with Calif. emission, required a special part. In all, $500+. Now at 73K the radiator, heater coil all the hoses and belts have been replaced $1100 or so. Also, at about 60K the speedometer began slipping. Am told now that it is a sensor that needs to be replaced. Not sure how much more $$ that will be. Don't want to buy a new car but...
    Visitor, Kahuku, HI, November 01, 2012 10:56
    on my way to work nov.1 2012. it wasn't hot or cold outside. i live in hawaii but i was on my way to work no cars passing no one on the road and nothing fell from a tree but my back window exploded. wtf
    Visitor, Freeport, NY, September 24, 2012 18:08
    I have a 2010 hyundai elantra and when it rains i get water inside under dashboard and both driverside and passenger side of car matts get wet! it seized computer and the EPS, temp symbol and manifold powersteering symbol showed up on dashboard and then wouldnt shift out of 1st gear!! in shop and they say they cant find anything wrong! I have seen a couple complaints of same situation online from other owners!still waiting to see!!
    Visitor, Selden, NY, June 14, 2012 12:28
    I HAVE MY CAR FOR A WEEK IT A 2013 ITS BEING FIXED RIGHT NOW IT WAS JERKING WHEN CHANGEING THE GEARS FROM PARK TO DRIVE AND REVISE AND IT WAS GOING SLOW ALSO THE CHECK EMIGINE LIGHT WAS ON. I AM VERY MAD BECUSE MY OLD 2004 DIDNOTDO THAT THATS WHY I GOT ANOTHER I AM WAITING TO HEAR RIGHT NOW ABOUT MY NEW CAR. AND I GOT IT AT 112 DEARER ON LONG ISLAND NEW YORK. I WAS NOT HAPPY AT THE WAY I WAS HELPED THEY GAVE ME A CAR TO USE BUT IT HAD NO GAS IN IT WHEN I TOLD THEM THEY SAID THEY WILL NOT PUT GAS IN IT SO I CAN DRIVE IT. THAT IS MY STORY.
  • 2011 Hyundai Elantra
    Visitor, Athens, AL, June 12, 2012 20:22
    I'm having a problem with the plastic splash shield under the radiator easily cracking and coming loose. Because I cannot see the front end of my car, it's easy to scrape the bottom on a concrete parking barrier. Everytime this happens (four times now), the plastic shield breaks and has to be replaced. I've never had this problem with any other car so am wondering if this is a defect or just poor design/quality. Also, the steering feels like it "sticks" every now and then. The dealer cannot find anything wrong; and when I tested other Elantras, they did the same thing.
    silveradoe, Moncks Corner, SC, May 25, 2012 14:39
    my elantra would fail to start after driving it for several miles but if i let it sit for 20 or 30 mins.it would start,and then it got where it wouldn't start when it was cold,and the only way we could get it to start was to turn on different things like ac,lights,etc.,and that findly stop working and now it want start at all.does anyone know whats wrong with my car? williambrawley62@yahoo.com
    Visitor, Warwick, RI, April 12, 2012 10:07
    2006 Elantra GT has rust around rear brakelight. Power Steering pump is shot at 90,000 miles. Brakes always sound like they need to be replaced. Wipers don't always seem to work that well either. Of course my car was in perfect shape until the warranty was up
  • 1998 Hyundai Elantra
    Visitor, Glendale, AZ, March 27, 2012 18:04
    just bought a used wagon gls and was driving fine commuting to work until last week when check engine light went on and died. Went to a mechanic to look at it and was told it was speed fan module. So far its been a reliable car for its year and mileage only 94k.
    Visitor, River Falls, WI, March 16, 2012 12:51
    I just need a sun roof for a 2000 hyundai elantra. Does anybody have any ideas of where to get one? Thanks.
    Visitor, Lyndonville, NY, February 09, 2012 11:30
    I had bought my car Sept 2010 Brand new and within the first 9,000 miles the cars paint had chipped and the car was starting to rust along the rear dog panels and the base panel by the front tires. I also had random chips along the hood and on the trunk. I live in the country so the traffic is minimal and the roads are actually paved great. There aren't lose gravel roads that I travel and most of my traveling distance is within 15 miles. Well I had to take the care to get repainted along the bottom last year and just this year today I noticed the paint is chipped and starting to rust again along the bottom. The dealerships are giving me a hard time about road conditions, etc.
    Visitor, Shirley, NY, January 20, 2012 06:56
    I just bought a 2012 elentra gls hyper silver in colombo , sri lanka. the first car wash i did on the elentra the head lights got fogged out from the inside same happened after few days. any tips/hints?
    Visitor, Catano, PR, November 10, 2011 13:11
    I bought The Zero milage 2010 Hyundai Elantra 1 year ago, after 1 month I changed the exhaust Barrel because it was making some Squeaky noise as I hit the gas, then I heard something that hit the cargo bag, I found that the spring of the cargo's cover was broken. After while I changed the left axle seal as the gear oil was leaking alot from the gearbox, I also replaced the clutch parts, now I have a problem in the first gear, third gear, and the fifth gear.
    Visitor, Plainsboro, NJ, October 25, 2011 16:15
    After engine oil change, a picture of car and fuel sign suddenly showed up in the mileage monitor of 2002 Hyundai Elantra GT. Anyone has any idea what it means?
    walid shahin, Allen, MD, September 27, 2011 08:08
    I have Elantra 2007 2.0L with automatic transmission.the problem is the car sometimes the engine cut off suddenly and able to start again without any problem also the engine check light does not turn on that happen at law speed exactly at the first gear level. i don't know the reason for this and I'm from libya and we don't have the hyundai service center here. so please would you tell any thing about this thanks a lot.
    Visitor, Lexington, KY, July 04, 2011 09:14
    I bought this car as my first when I was 16, which was four years ago. Mine is a manual transmission and I have had no problems with it (other than what I have done to it). I change the oil every 5k miles, and I've put on about 40k miles. I have gotten up to 36 MPG with this car (long trip- highway miles) and as low as 24 MPG (town driving). I'd say the average is around 28-30. It is a great car and I would recommend it to anyone looking to get a reliable car with great gas mileage.
    jkboats, Walnut Creek, CA, June 26, 2011 17:14
    i have a 2006 Elantra,, 18000 miles, mostly city. My rear brakes burned out at 18m left rear was at 0.00 right had a bit left, Front brakes are about 90% of original. Had to cut the drums because of all the scoring California weather is kind to cars some wet streets mostly good weather. Has anyone else had a similar brake problem? My last car a Ford Explorer ran 35m between brake jobs similar driving and occasionally towing a 22 ft boat. all else is good, car runs well no problems
    Visitor, Schenectady, NY, April 28, 2011 09:27
    i have a 2010, love it, the only problem i have is winter driving the rear likes to slide back and forth.
    Visitor, Unionville, VA, April 01, 2011 04:22
    i have 285000 on it, starting to have a little problem,brakelights are staying on.?????
    Visitor, Lewisville, TX, March 13, 2011 21:23
    I paid what I got.
    Visitor, Manchester, NH, February 24, 2011 08:33
    2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatch GT. Bought this brand new fully loaded. Wish they still made them. Always loved this car! I have always kept up on the maintenance required. I have 86,500 miles on it. Besides regular oil changes and tires I am now replacing my alternator and I will need a new clutch..so they say at the dealership. Rear brakes pads need to be replaced more often. Headlights seem to burn out often also....Would love to get the new Elantra 2011 but this one is stilling going and no car payment!
    Visitor, Annandale, NJ, February 06, 2011 13:52
    Purchased new 2005, This car has 94,000 miles, still manages 33 mpg. Normal maintence with only brakes and tires. would purchase another at a drop of a dime.
    gfrlgil2, La Grange, IL, January 24, 2011 17:47
    The car has been very reliable and handles well. The driver's seating position is very good and can be easily adjusted to accomodate my 5' 1" wife. Much improved over my previous Geo Prizm/Toyota Corolla. Engine always starts, unlike some carbureted ones I used to own many years ago. I like the styling of this 2006 GT hatchback better than later models, but would prefer their timing chain and better gas mileage. Overall, it is a WINNER!
    torque wrench, Laurens, SC, January 01, 2011 21:45
    We bought our 2003 Elantra new, it has 198,000 plus miles and still drives and looks great ! other then normal oil changes and belt replacement and tires, we have only had to replace the battery and altenator. exhaust and suspention still like new, engine and transmission working great with no leaks. The body still has great fitting doors, hood , trunk and finish in great shape too. We did have a few Interior issues I felt we should not have had for as well as car has been kept up. the vanity mirror cover broke at hinges on passengers sun visor, hole woren in carpet under drivers mat, color came off front door arm rests the first year. Over all a really great car well worth every penny and even more. Will be at top of list to look at when we need another car.
    nwalker1369, Elgin, IL, December 12, 2010 07:54
    140K, still going strong. Original struts and exhaust, and timing belt twice per service schedule. Doesn't burn oil and just had valve cover gaskets and power steering hose replaced as they just started to show wear. However, leak on CV boot nearest the wheel, which I had dealer repair, not replace both sides. Now....leaking from seal where it goes into trans..seal replaced twice. Still a bit of a leak. Should I have just replaced both axles? Can't get a good answer from my dealer, and it seems they caused this as it wasn't leaking before. Now I understand this is a trans problem as something to do with a bolt in the trans is not lining up right..???
  • 1992 Hyundai Elantra
    Visitor, Los Angeles, CA, December 03, 2010 01:54
    Own this car since 1992, still runs OK after 18 years. Auto tranny still works fine. At 30K defective cam seal ruined the engine; rebuilt under warranty. Replaced: tires (50 and 100K), battery (50 and 100K), struts (110K), CV boots (3 times), timing belt (100K), alternator (80K), water pump (120K). Electrolyte caps in ECU leaked, causing trouble, at 110K. For a DIY mechanic, the car is difficult to work on, with very inconvenient access to several critical parts (timing gear, water pump, starter). Performance wise, always had a feeling of danger while breaking hard at speed. 1.6L engine pretty anemic, needed power is mostly obtained thru downshift, which could be annoying. Engine literally dies at high altitude. Despite these shortcomings, this little car was money's worth.
  • 1993 Hyundai Elantra
    arhq, West Portsmouth, OH, December 01, 2010 06:08
    Engine Please help to get Manuel Hyundai Elantras 1993 with thanks from Iraq
    alicefcooper, Los Angeles, CA, September 25, 2010 22:32
    Very reliable little car.
    Visitor, Massillon, OH, September 18, 2010 12:29
    I have a 2000 Elantra with just over 200000 miles and have not had any significant repairs. Still have original exhaust system. Only changed brakes 2 times. I am the original owner and plan to continue driving the car for many miles. My family and I were part of the national ad campaign for Hyundai in 2000 and have to say the testimonials that we gave were 100% true. Great car and plan to replace this one with a new elantra when the time comes.
    Visitor, Longmont, CO, September 15, 2010 19:52
    Bought new in April '01 (after our daughter bought one in November 2000. Front rotors warped at about 40K. Turned them and am about to replace them at 115K. Wind noise became a recall item too late for us to benefit. Radio failed at about 40k and was not covered by wty. Had an intact manifold gasket go at about 88k, but by-passed dealer. Found out it would have been covered. Dealer replaced front cv joint at about 93k, under wty. Biggest complaint was an airbag wiring recall that resulted in dealer damaging wires. Overall, car was the most reliable I ever owned and we will definitely consider another one.
    Visitor, Conway, SC, September 13, 2010 21:28
    The Elantra is quit the car for the money! only problem is Brakes the pedal goes to floor with some pressure. Dealer gave me run around and car has 300 miles and still needs repair, have talked to customer support I will see if that works other than that well worth the Drive
    Visitor, Upper Marlboro, MD, September 07, 2010 17:10
    Purchased this car in 2002 and I now have 218,000 miles. Still runs well. I have replaced the battery and alternator and kept up with the scheduled maintenance. Great car.
    Visitor, Pleasanton, TX, August 23, 2010 16:20
    it lasted for about 155,000 miles after that i have to say i have put over $3,000 into and it is still bringing in new problems mostly transmission but there have been many more issues
    Visitor, Boyertown, PA, August 08, 2010 20:52
    My Elantra has 110k I had it for about 7 years and never really had a major problem with it until now. It seems to be stuck in second or third gear I have not a clue as to what that could be. The engine light came on and the car let out a rough and loud hard shift. The A/C leaks in the inside on the passenger side and I just replaced the alternator. The car has been great except for this problem that I am having right now!
    Visitor, Quitman, LA, July 31, 2010 10:26
    I bought this car second hand in 2005. It is a 2002 model. It ran find for about a year, then the transmission starter to mess up. At first it would down shift to third and if you stoped it would not shift to first, only manual shift to second and had to be manually shifted to third. I could shut off the engine and restart and it would work. The problem has steadly gotten worse. Now it will not work correctly at all. It needs a new TCM. {700.00} I can not find a rebuilt one. Also the A/C compressor line started to leak. It is also a dealer item. that is another 190.00 dollars. I WILL NOT buy another Hyundai with an auto trans. I have a 1999 Accent with a standard trans and I like this car,but it does have a lot of road noise and it does dent very easily.
    Visitor, Oceanside, CA, July 30, 2010 18:32
    Have 168K on my GT. Very pleased. Some unresolved electrical issues with rear brake lights burning out. Next car will likely be a Hyundai.
    draepal, Bronx, NY, July 25, 2010 21:26
    My '06 Elantra hatchback is very reliable, i think. i go through brakes and rotors a lot though. I put over 59,000 miles on it so far and its still going strong. These items i had to replace: front bearings, front ball joint, hand brake wire (may have come with car defective but i did not realize it, till i pull it up a few times and it broke), blown left head lamp bulb, fog lamp bulbs, replace brake light ever 1-2 months (very strange), replace 1 catalytic converter, oxygen sensor, signal indicator sensor. I don't use my Hyundai dealer for service, because they charge way too much money for service. While "under warranty the dealer tried to charge me over $450 dollars to change front brakes and rotors. I like Hyundai cars, i just would like the maintenance cost to be a little less expensive.
    Visitor, Panama City, FL, July 22, 2010 15:11
    Steering wheel fell apart at 40k mi. Under warranty but the dealership refused to fix it. Power mirrors always stop working. Need replacement motor every time it rains. Check engine light comes on every three months for various reasons. Expensive fixes to slight problems. Power steering barely works. Need a new alignment every couple of months despite not hitting curbs or the like which might ruin alignment. Paid $12k for this car and have sunk at least $8k in repairs which the dealer refuses to fix.
    Visitor, Bonita, CA, July 03, 2010 12:57
    Heating & airconditioner controls located on the dashboard
    phatsmalloy, Yukon, OK, June 12, 2010 15:28
    I bought this car new in 2006. I bought the base model with the 5 speed. So far, I have had no transmission or engine problems. The gas mileage is great. I have had a few issues with the A/C system and the body seems to get dents and dings very easily. Three of the four original tires on this car (from the factory) were defective and I had to purchase new tires at 25000 miles. This car runs very well and has been very reliable.
    Visitor, Effort, PA, June 09, 2010 19:10
    I bought my Hyundai Elantra GT 5 speed Hatchback brand new in 2002. I do take good care of my cars, so, this one is mostly garage kept. Because I do live where there is quite a bit of snow and ice, have a rust spot on the rear quarter panel right below the gas tank cover. I had my clutch replaced for the first time when the car had 107,000 miles. Just had the timing belt done, new water pump, air conditioner belt and power steering belt replaced for the first time, at 158,000 miles. I have loved this car since day one! Had purchased a 2007 Elantra, but about a year and a half later, had a really bad car accident with it and it was totaled. Great car as well, the stability control prevented the car from rolling over and my son and I walked out of the car, unscratched and not a bruise! So, thank goodness for my trusty 2002 Elantra, driving it until I'm ready to buy another car! I've been eyeing the new Sonata, very sharp! But I won't trade in my Elantra, this car is with me to the end!!
    pete1983, Mason, OH, May 09, 2010 00:21
    Very good car, good gas milege, just replaced the oxygen sensors, spark plugs(irridium), almos 400 k miles but i`ll love it the same as new. I`ll not change for nothing else
    Visitor, Manchester Township, NJ, April 15, 2010 13:37
    87,000 miles; regular maintenance per owners manual. Remote mirror switch replaced under warranty at 35,000, "foam" steering wheel cover replaced at 40,000 (again, under warranty)...NO mechanical problems at all...no rattles or squeeks. Looking forward to hitting 200,000 miles on this peppy, fuel-efficient vehicle
    Visitor, Carlsbad, CA, April 13, 2010 15:56
    Carlsbad Hyundai unloaded a lemon on me and Hyundai corporate turned it's back on me and failed to honor their warrenty. Never buy a Hyundai; it's Korean for "garbage"
    Visitor, Hartford, CT, April 04, 2010 05:53
    Nice car..
    joshballz, Dover, PA, March 29, 2010 08:55
    Great car for the price I have not been disappointed. Had to have sensor in the fuel tank replaced, but it was covered under warranty with no problems, and nothing besides regular maintenance since. The rear brake pads do seem to need replaced far more often than the front, though this may just be some quirk with my car (or how I drive, I'm not gentle with my cars no matter how hard I try). No complaints and hopefully after another 5 years I will be buying another.
    tski99, Frederick, MD, February 25, 2010 20:23
    Great Car. I have the Elantra GT 5-door and it came with ABS, Traction Control, CD Player, Sunroof, Leather seats, side airbags for around 13K new. Nice and sporty looking and can carry more cargo than the one with the trunk. Almost 100K on the car and the only compaints are: 1. Brake rotors needed resurfacing after 12K so I put on a racing brake kit at 30K and have not had to replace rotors or pads since. 2. Clutch goes at 40K, so get an automatic or a racing clutch to save yourself $1K every 40K to replace the clutch. The clutch is normal wear and tear so it is not covered under the warrenty.
  • 1995 Hyundai Elantra
    dutchie, Manchester, CT, February 15, 2010 03:25
    brilliant car, done 30000km+ still original
    Lockpin, Rumford, ME, December 21, 2009 10:21
    I bought a 06 Elantra loaded, 5 speed, I love driving it. Almost 60,000 miles and I had to replace struts. I live in Maine and I notice the emergency brake freezes up. and if there is any ice near the wind shield and hood and you try to open it you may bend the hood ends if you don't stop in time. Water seems to freeze there. They stopped making the Elantra and I don't like what they replaced it with so I won't be buying another one.
    julianazor, Brentwood, CA, December 06, 2009 02:17
    Great car, a bit slow on pick-up, but maintains speed VERY well. This is my first car, and I love it. Breaks are a bit on the sticky side, it takes time to get used to them.
    Mike Marvin, Glencoe, AR, December 02, 2009 13:13
    I bought this car new and had a small problem with the transmission right from the start. It was very subtle and hard to detect and, in fact, it would not show up on the computer but I knew something was not right. Finally, after the warrenty was up, it got bad enough to cause the CEL to come on and the problem showed up on the computer. It was the transmission module. Other than this it has been a very good car and I will keep it untill the wheels fall off!
    mecanik, Wayne, NJ, August 29, 2009 00:03
    Bough it new, no regrets! If you pamper it just a little bit, this car will last a long while. I live in Quebec, so I plug it in when snow stays on ground, rustproof myself, mecanic ( most of it ) myself, wash every week and wax/compound regularly. Still looks like brand new. Love it almost as much as my Honda Accord EX 96!!! Very good car indeed.
    zazzle_swagneer, Beverly Hills, CA, July 30, 2009 20:31
    For the price the Elantra is good not great. The engine is reliable but the brakes warped within 4 years, stereo died in 3. Fog lights always seem to burn out. After 6 years and 66,000 kms in Canadian winters years its been good and always started in sometimes brutal Canadian winter mornings. Engine still feels as strong as new. I am hoping to get 10 years out of ours, since it will only cost about $1000 a year to keep going - much cheaper than new car payments. Body is holding up well with no visible rust anywhere. I would by a Hyundai again since they are more of a utiitarian car, very affordable to own and maintain.
    CastAway, Winston Salem, NC, April 17, 2009 19:14
    Brakes started pulsating at 75,000 and had to replace the front rotors and pads. Otherwise, have had no problems at all with this little car.
    rodhow_1, Lebanon, IN, April 11, 2009 06:37
    This my 2nd one, no problems with either.
    tom foolerly, Mansfield, TX, April 08, 2009 15:35
    The Elantra is a great car. It is a little shy on mileage, but what acceleration. This 4 popper can really get up go. The handling and ride, as well as the fit and finish are top notch. I have had this vehicle for three years now, the only thing I have replaced is one light bulb. Not counting the normal maintenance items of course.
    4Wolfman, Mebane, NC, March 18, 2009 09:16
    Transmission slipping since 30k miles. Dealers could never duplicate problems, nor obtain DTC because CEL did not illuminate until 125k. Now trans chatters loudly and can not be driven. Dealer says trans is bad. CEL now on. Dealer and Hyundai refuse to repair the car and decline to acknowledge prior trouble because CEL never came on!! Rust in sunroof area coming from inside out and paint peeling from rear bumper. Hyundai would only repair the sunroof area. We had to get Hyundai rep involved in order to get the sunroof area fixed. And then they would only repair that if we presented mechanic repair history/oil changes, etc. Like that had anything to do with the paint!!
    susaxman, Bristow, VA, February 04, 2009 03:52
    This Elantra gets great gas mileage and that is even without babying the accelerator. Since day one I have only had to changes the oil and filters. Car cruises at highway speed with little effort. It is a great car in the City or on the road. I also had a 2000 Elantra and passed it onto a relative, which still running good. I'm glad to have another one. Very reliable and inexpensive !!!
    nascar10786, East Meadow, NY, December 22, 2008 13:10
    this car is absolutely amazing for the price you can't beat it!
    tonyv49, Philadelphia, PA, October 18, 2008 16:19
    great all around car, price & reliability makes this car a gem