Hyundai Reviews

Hyundai Reviews and Owner Comments

Well I wish we had as much luck as these people who got tremendous mileage and few problems. Our 2005 Hyundai sonata was used we brought it at 55k miles on it, it had a "slight Front end collision" prior we got a great price on the car then about $5600 we paid, looked nice and shiney then. My daughter had a slight fender bender in it, then had to get left light fixed. Then a suirel chewed the wires , of course pep boys in syracuse ny couldn't just check the code and fix the speed sensor for us, no they had to rip us off for the $90 extra plus the after market cost of the part! typical for us females to get ripped off no matter what I try to tell them .. we are surrounded by rip off artist here! The of course we have the tire that's already bad that cost $97 and had a 75k mileage warrenty on it but only got 20k miles, do you think pep boys ever honors there refund replacement policy? NO THEY NEVER DO! They want to charge an additional $65 for a new tire again! and othe rrproblems like Sears liars, and the battery failing 2x, etc etc.. Well just try the highway rip off fir a car any car, here or anywhere, esp if female! The engine is sort of weak, the airconditioniong was replaced for $104, 5k miles later, hot again and no A?C .. (of course we no longer live there).. Then the trim and rubber interior parts keep falling apart.. been glued repeatedly in several areas.. then the computer wiring was messes up for no reason that was another $100 abt, then the wiper blade practically fell off for no reason.. Its ok but the ride is not very comfortable and the car is hot, and cheap, and poor acceleration etc weaker type cheap engine.. its ok for the money but I wouldn't waste too much on it and I doubt it willreally get these great mileages, of course its only a 4 cylinder gl.
After 2 years driving elantra, in early 2015, the airbag light started to lit on even after the engine was running. Checked at the service centre, they detected that the airbag at the driver's seat was malfunctioning. Since the car is still under warranty,Hyundai has done a good job by replacing a new one. Zin, KL, Malaysia
loved my car when I first got it but over the past three years I have had many issues with my engine, electrical, and it shutting down randomly. The curse control buttons broke within the first year that I had bought the car (2009). The dashboard lights never stay on. The window control panel on the divers door doesn't always work all the windows. And the other control panels sometimes don't work too. Engine wise, I am not sure the real reason why it breaks down and has a hard time getting up to speed sometimes but its becoming more frequent.
My 2009 Sante Fe started acting up - when starting it, it would not fire up. Ist time - it finally clicked in after 3 tries, the next time (2 days later)it didn't . It just made those gear noises and wouldn't fire. Called the Hyundai dealership, said to tow it in so they could have a look. We called CAA to tow it. After explaining the problem to the guy who came, he first wanted to take a look under the hood before towing it. As soon as he did he shook his head and asked who sold it to us as there were two wires attached to the battery for rust prevention. He said having that hook up is one of the reasons the battery level was low - it used up too much juice. Advised me to detach these wires as they cause more trouble than they're worth. He also told me if it happens again, to press the lock and the unlock buttons on the key at the same time. This will reset the system and the car will run. It worked. Never have I been told about these wires and this "firing problem" and how to solve it at the dealership. That CAA guy was worth his weight in gold! Ottawa, ONT 20 April 2015
i have a 95 hyaundai and ive done everything in that car that ive ever done to any 4wd i know these are very reliable cars
I bought a 2011 in late 2010--Hyundai Sonata and it was a big mistake to buy the first model year. With less than 48,000 miles it's been in the shop at least eight times for (thankfully) warranty work (poor quality manufacturing). The car looks nice inside and out but it gets poor gas mileage and has tons of electrical problems. I bought and drove Hondas for 30 years and will return to them after I get rid of this Sonata.
The Veracruz seems to be a beefed up version of the Santa Fe. It has a 3rd row seat and heavy duty suspension, so the car feels almost truck like. Uses large tires and has an overall look of a solid SUV. This results in a slightly rough ride and some road noise. The V6 engine is strong, but I suspect the transmission is barely adequate, because the car shifts often when extra power is needed. The heater is very powerful, but it does not work well until the car is completely warm-- a process that requires about 10 minutes of driving. The interior is spectacular and rivals much more expensive cars with all sort of lighting and gadgets including rear lighting and heating controls. This car cost $29K when new and I paid about $18 when 2 years old. At that price, it was a bargain.
I've been relatively happy up until now. Car is starting to show the use of cheap materials as it ages, 140,000 miles. Replacing Air Bag "clock spring" today. The "tubing" that aligns the door frame is pulling away and I was told this is somewhat common on my age vehicle. $500 to replace.....sorry, but that's BS. Interior noise is bad and becomes horrible with back windows open. I've never had these types problems with Honda or Isuzu in the past....and will not be looking at Hyundai for future purchases at this point......
Our 2008 Santa Fe was purchased Jan, 2012 used thru Carmaz Used Car Dealership with 62,000 miles. No coverage from Hyundai so opted for Carmax's Maxcare. Paid cash for vehicle and Carmax did their due diligence with background check on vehicle. Found nothing suspicious. First year we had nothing unusual and kept up with all maintenance and service. Second year and 75,000 it all started. We paid $18,327.58 drive off lot. At this time (March, 2015) we have spent $18,252.58 in service, repairs and maintenance on this money pit. Am addressing with Hyundai Motor America, but is a long, ridiculous process with more run arounds to break us down so we don't continue forward. Worst problem (of all the $9,753.42 that has actually been spent for odd repairs we have not experienced with any vehicles as a whole picture in our 40+ years of ownership)while I was driving, the PCM failed instantly. Lost everything and was miraculous to be entering our subdivision and not where I had been the prior hours...very high speed major highways in Houston. This has become a nightmare and we wanted to purchase a new Santa Fe, BUT if Hyundai cannot honor what they say as customers being their primary concern, we will get out of this somehow and into something else. NEVER try filing a complaint and hoping for action thru their Consumer Affairs Dept. We are at 6 weeks and barely getting any contact from them. Extremely disillusioned by this Company!
I bought used with about 40,000 mi. I know you're all having coil trouble and you keep paying for coil replacement. I have what sounds like the same trouble about every 4000-8000 miles. I've just been changing the plugs and that seems to do the trick. There must be a deeper problem that's causing the issue. If anyone knows more, please let me know. The only other problem is that the spring to help the gasoline door to pop open when you pull the lever is missing so sometimes it won't open unless you help it. I do everything I can to get good fuel mileage. In the cold Minnesota winter, I get from 25-30 mpg. In the summer, I get about 27-36.
Lights dim when decelerating. Dealer replaced alternator, batter and + and - cables still happening. Out of factory warranty and dealer wants to charge me for an ongoing issue that was never fixed. Good-bye Hyundai! Brake sensor, rear brakes at 20K miles, cam sensor, serpentine tensioner and 4 recalls. The vehicle has 46K miles on it. I'm kicking myself for not paying $1500 for the extended warranty. Didn't think I'd need it. I was WRONG. Gotta last 1 more year so I can pay off my wife's van. Then it's gone and I won't be returning.
We got this car from my grandpa. It might look like junk but a dependable car wish photo could be available love this car a bunch has over 350,000 miles on original engine. I did put money on some repairs but the car is flawless for a 1990 Sonata the V6 engine is strong gets 30mpg including interstate driving am looking for a 2015 model while will keep this older model as the timeline of history when this generation first came out in 1989 to U.S as a Korean car. LOVE MY SONATA will never sell or get rid of this car just won't die though beat this car all up still never gave me a problem while blowing up with our kids in back (LOL).
I have a 2014 limited tucson. At 7000 miles I reported that it sounded like a Mack Truck the dealer said it was normal. At 18000 miles they replaced the engine. At 26000 Miles they changed it a 2nd time. Also soon after that my directional would not go off even with the car off and the key out. They replaced the BCM which I'm told was a major job. It also has a continuous transmission problem that when I go to take off its like in 2nd or third gear. It didn't happen the two times I took it in so it continues to be a problem. Hyundai is a garbage vehicle and the US should not allow them to be imported
I have had MULTIPLE probloems with my 2007 Sante Fe GLS v6. The harmonic balancer went, the fuel pump 3 times, the shocks and struts, the front steering arms, front wheel bearings, the brakes on front and rear, the left air bag light, the fuel pressure sensor guage - ALL WHILE UNDER WARRANTY.... So the car was relatively new. My current problem is the fuel pressure sensor guage again, as well as an issue when I fill the tank up with gas - the car will not stay running. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HYUNDAI again.
My 2008 Hyundai Sante Fe's white paint is chipping away off the hood and around the windshield. Keeps spreading. Dealership offered me 1/2 off to repaint it, 1/2 of a $2,800 paint job. Local bodyshop was $800 for the job. Hyundai never acknowledged my letter of complaint. I would not buy another Hyundai product or recommend.
Have had coil problems on this 2011 Hyundai Accent every since I got it. There needs to be a recall on these with all these reviews on coil problems.Shame on you hyundai I will never purchase anything from them again and will advice others not to as well.
went to have air bags replaced and in 1/2 hr was told I had over $2000 problems & said I should not drive out of lot, car could roll over? First of all I did not tell them to check my car. I called Hyundai and was told I would have to bring to another Hyundai dealer. Said I am afraid to drive car, I am a 76 year old senior. Said to have it towed asked if they would pay for tow, said no and asked how much to have it check out. More money. my car only has 4000 miles on it no problems ever and have old changed every 3 or 4 months. I feel that being a single senior I was taken for a dummy. I live on social security and can not afford this. Any suggestions. They also told me I could trade it in?? 12/29/14
Not sure if I'm just unlucky. I am at the dealership right now getting yet another (about the 5th time!) engine warning light checked out. Has anybody else had issues with the check engine light coming on? Seems to come on about every 2 months. One time, they said the gas we were using had too much ethanol in it, even though we were putting premium gas in the car. I am fortunate that the car is still under warranty (25K miles on it), so most of these checkouts have been little or no cost to me. But I am worried about this being a maintenance nightmare once the car is out of warranty. I purchased the car on a 3 year lease that will be up June 2016. Right now, I am thinking of dumping the car when the lease runs out, but I just read a lot of reviews from Santa Fe owners of earlier model years saying the car is reliable and great. Please help advise me on whether I should purchase the car after the lease is up or walk away. Does the Santa Fe have a higher than usual repair record compared to other cars in its class? I am happy with everything on the car besides the engine. But since the engine is a critical part of the car, nothing else matters if the engine is going to be throwing alerts on a regular basis.
I also have a 2009 Elantra Touring in Red and the clear coat is peeling off the door handles. Intend to take it in to the Dealer and see if they can do anything about it. The car has been very reliable and the design works so well that we don't have any incentive or plans to get a new one. The newer models just don't seem to have the same usable interior space as the 2009 Touring.
My Santa Fe is a V6 and it hesitates when accelerating, as do the 4 cylinders listed in comments below. My car is now 3 years old, I bought is brand new, I am at almost 50K miles. Within the past 6 months I have noticed that when I turn the car off and get out of the vehicle I can still hear the car, it sounds like something is continuing to spin under the hood. This sometimes lasts as long as 10-15 seconds. The passenger door when shut sounds very tinny and hallow. Not overly happy with the way it grips the road, even after buying high grade tires. Also, and maybe this is normal, when I use the remote start I have to turn the lights in the car off and back on before my dash will become illuminated. But the car is reliable, I never have to worry about getting from point A to point B.
I purchased my 05 Sonata (GLS extra version) and now have 178500 miles on it. Other than regular maintenance, I've only had to replace the antenna, "computer to fuel injection" electrical relay, and a circuit board for the transmission. Body still shines, the interior has worn like new and everything is almost perfect. I plan on doubling this mileage at least. While the tranny is a bit harsh under pressure and the gas mileage could be a bit better, still, an excellent value vehicle.
Judging from the fact that there are only 2 other reviews for the 2006 model of the Sante Fe, speaks for itself - there isn't a lot that goes wrong with it, and it's pretty dependable, otherwise you would see more complaints on here. Glad I didn't get a 2002 model ;) I bought my 2006 brand new off the lot, and it has 167,000 miles on it. I changed the brakes myself every 40 -50k miles. I had the timing belt, and plugs changed at 50,000, and just had plugs changed again at 155,000. This year, 2014, I had to have the radiator, serpentine belt, alternator, battery, and air compressor changed, and now it looks like the catalytic convertor has went out. Routine maintenance. The engine and tranny are still going strong. I need to have the tranny fluid flushed as well as the power steering for routine maintenance. My GREATEST COMPLAINTS are: #1 the rear handles are cheap plastic, and have both broken off form my children - all under 6 years old pulling on the door handles to get in. #2 - the electric system is POSSESSED!!! the air conditioning fan will turn on/off by itself even when in the OFF position. The headlights would come on even when the car was off - I'd come out in the morning, to find the headlights on, and the car battery so dead, I couldn't unlock my car, so I had to crawl through the back hatch to unlock the car because #3 THE KEY DOESN'T UNLOCK THE DRIVER OR PASSENGER DOOR!!?!?!?!?!?! Why????
Brake switch recall can help you with this.
I have 301,000 miles on my Hyundai Santa Fe with the original engine and transmission. No major work done on either. But I knew that when I hit the 300K mark, the doors would fall off and the engine oil would all leak out, etc. Well, after the last oil change at 300K, the oil is now all leaking out. :-( Guess it's time for a new Santa Fe... Oh...and I got oil changes as required always at Jiffy Lube.
i have a 2007 tiburon ,i bought it from a dealer ship when it had 99k odometer, i used to love that car ,but there is something about it that feels cheap and the v4 engine that i have is so weak which is understandable ,but this car have the best looking body design ever in my opinion , its great for showing off ,but it is horrible for performance
The best car, and most reliable I have ever owned. I was given this car from my grandmother at 170,000 miles... it is now just slightly under 200,000 miles. I have been the owner for nearly three years now and there is very little on what I can complain about. The car is a tank! Literally. I was in an accident with a uninsured driver recently and the only thing that was damaged was one axle. Easy fix and the car still drives well. I honestly think this car will last another 200,000 miles if the next owner keeps up with the maintenance. I am seriously considering getting another, newer model. The AC goes on and off sometimes.
I bought the 2007 Santa Fe GLS 2.7 engine. Not much power and fails constantly. Technicians can't ever seem to find what the problems are. Latest problems... front brakes grind and pulse like the ABS is coming on. $400 for a front end brake job. LDW and other lights coming on intermittently; never did find the answer to that one. Brake problem again. Replaced the ABS brake computer module for $2000. Other reviews show the brakes and lights to be a real problem that Hyundai and NTSB don't wan to pursue. Just got rid of that money pit. It actually quit on me 3 times on the way to getting some money for it. Got $8000 for it from a car auction house. In turn I got a 2015 Chev. Equinox 1LT. Leased it for less than $1000 down and $270 monthly payments. Very nice with enough bells and whistles for my taste. The $8000 will get me almost 30 payments. Works for me....get it...the Chev. works for me...the Hyundai didn't. Oooiiyyyyyy
I purchased my Santa Fe new and it now has 298,000+ miles. No problems until the last 50,000 or so. Had to replace altenator, air conditioner conpressor, timing chain, and now having trouble with power steering. All said and done, this has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. Interior still looks new, flaking on paint though.
The master fuse relay went out, stopping the car cold. Fortunately, the Sante Fe had a little less than 60,000 miles on it, so warranty covered the expensive repair. My big gripe is that it is almost impossible to change a burned out headlight. You have to remove the entire headlight assembly (the large plastic piece). I saw a guy do it on Youtube, but while I could get the assembly off, I could not get it back on. I could not get the plastic to tuck beneath the sheet metal. The dealer says they replace headlight for $60! I don't have a quibble with the charge (anytime you get out of a repair shop for under $100 is a blessing) but to build a vehicle in which the consumer cannot even change the headlight is terrible. Based on this alone, I would not buy another Sante Fe (I have owned 2, but the lights on the first one never burned out, so I was not aware of the asinine design).
I really LOVED this car when I first bought it. I've had it going on my third year and it's falling apart ! EVERYTHING is expensive to repair and most mechanics refuse to work on them I've noticed. I could have bought an old beater for what it cost me to have a timing belt put in and now that it's been replaced, the two sensors behind the belt cover are bad. Crankshaft Position Sensor and the Camshaft sensor. I put new front brakes on it and as I was driving home from the mechanic's, the ABS light came on. I found out that the wheel sensor is bad and has to be replaced to get the light off. I'm trading it AS SOON as I get it fixed. I can't very well expect a decent trade in value with the check engine light and ABS light on ! :/ Also I might ad that the rear struts work fine, but make a helluva noise ! If anyone reading this comes across an 02-05 XG 350 or 350L as mine is WALK AWAY !!! Mine looks awesome, black w/black leather power moonroof, LOADED even has rear air but man...what a POS !