2002 Hyundai Sonata Problem Reports

Most Reported 2002 Hyundai Sonata Problem Reports

View:Most ReportedNewestRepairPal Verified

On the 2.7L V6 and 2.4L 4 Cylinder, a defective exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) switching valve may cause an intermittent rough or unstable idle engine.

Problems with the accelerator pedal position switch may cause the Check Engine Light to illuminate; an improved switch is available to fix this problem.

If the automatic transmission does not shift properly and the Check Engine Light illuminates, the speed sensors in the transmission may have failed. The sensors are simple and inexpensive to replace.

Concerned about safety, the NHTSA is investigating reports of rust forming at the front suspension mounting points, the frame, and the sub-frame. Some of these vehicles may have been recalled for this issue. For more information, please click here»

Premature timing belt failure may result in serious engine damage. When replacing a broken timing belt, it is important to inspect and possibly replace the crankshaft position sensor; it is often damaged when the timing belt breaks.

I had my car to many mechanics and replaced many parts when my temp gauge kept reading hot, but it actually wasn't. A master tech finally listened to me and went directly to the problem. The manufacturer had not installed one of my ground wires to the engine. That explains why I kept going through batteries and headlight bulbs. Finally the issue got to my temp gauge and my window motor. Not having that ground, my car was handling it in oth...

If the alternator fails, it should be replaced with an improved design which is better able to replenish electrical power to the battery. The new alternator requires a different diameter drive belt.