pictures and step by step instructions
Q&AAsk Your Question
1992 Volkswagen GTI
Question: how to replace the water pump
Answer #1patrick mannion from Greg Solow's Engine Room, January 29, 2010, 07:51Master
It is not a very complex job if you have the tools and patience. You may want to replace the camshaft seal and crankshaft seal along with the timing belt and tensioner while you have everything stripped down. Autozone have some popular workshop manuals for free on line once you register (for free) on their website http://bit.ly/autozone_repair_info .There is a company that independent auto repair shops "buy" their information from that offer a very reasonable service to do it yourselvers. You get a one year subscription to year make and model specific repair procedures, service bulletins, component locations, wiring diagrams ect.... great quality information same as the professionals have ,much better than generic workshop manuals from parts stores, much cheaper than the factory manual. http://bit.ly/alldata_repair_manuals or try http://bit.ly/mitchell_repair_manuals_online and get an online repair manual subscription.
MaplewoodTransmission.com January 29, 2010, 10:20Technician
1. Drain the cooling system.
2. Remove the nut and T-bolt that fastens the camshaft drive belt cover to the coolant pump. Disconnect the remaining hoses from the pump housing.
3. Remove pump and housing assembly. Four bolts hold the coolant assembly to the engine.
4. Disassemble the pump and housing assembly. Remove the pulley(s) from the coolant pump shaft. Remove the seven bolts and washers and separate the pump from the housing.
5. Assembly is the reverse of disassembly. Use a new gasket between the coolant pump and housing. Tighten the seven bolts evenly until all are torqued to 10 Nm (87 in lb) . Install the pulley(s). Torque the bolts to 20 Nm (15 ft lb) . NOTE : The power-steering V-belt pulley attached to the coolant pump is marked with the word KLIMA. The mark faces outward (away from the pump) on vehicles with air conditioning, and inward on vehicles without air conditioning.
1. Clean the surface of the engine block where it will be contacted by the pump housing and the 0-ring. Install a new 0-ring in the recess that surrounds the water outlet. NOTE : The 0-ring between the coolant pump housing and the engine block does not require sealer.
2. Loosely install the coolant pump on the engine. The two short bolts are used at the top of the pump housing. Torque the four bolts evenly to 20 Nm (15 ft lb) . Refasten the camshaft drive belt cover to the coolant pump.
3. Install the hoses and refill the cooling system. Install and adjust the V-belt.