Chrysler Q&A

Ask Your Question

2006 Chrysler Town & Country Question: How To Access and Replace Rear A/C Evaporator Core and Thermal Exp. Valve



, Santa Clara, UT, October 16, 2010, 17:51

There is a freon leak somewhere near the rear evaporator. I cannot afford to pay shop. I need help accessing the unit and replacing it. I plan to take it to a shop to have it recharged.

2 Answers
Flag This
  • Answer #1

    October 17, 2010, 00:04

    Hey Gary,
    By all means, spend the $20-$30 and get a repair manual, there are a few you can get online that are very good. Read up on the job before starting so you have a better idea as to how to perform this repair.
    Here are a couple of the best:

    Flag This
  • Medium-star Best Answer
    Visitor, January 24, 2011, 23:01

    Take it to the dealer, this issue should be repaired by the dealer due to "recall" of the evap core prematurely rusting out. They repaired my free of charge.

    Flag This
  • Reply

    , January 25, 2011, 12:07

    I was able to get the evaporator replaced on warranty at a dealer. Thanks to this forum, I learned about the extended warranty on this problem - to 70,000 miles. It is important anyone else with this problem take advantage of the extended warranty. Otherwise the cost is around $450! I also recommend that anyone with a Chrysler van modify a plastic tray and glue it over the A/C lines behind the passenger side rear wheel to protect them from corrosion.

    Flag This