how do I replace water pump on this vehicle? Must I pull the engine? Any trouble spots to look out for in this repair.
Saturn Q&AAsk Your Question
2000 Saturn LW2 Question: How is the water pump R&R
Answer #1Bret Bodas from RepairPal Test Shop, February 21, 2010, 15:14Master
It's always a good idea to get a repair manual if your going to work on your own vehicle, and it's never been easier or less expensive to get a good one. Try http://bit.ly/alldata_repair_manuals or http://bit.ly/mitchell_repair_manuals_online and you can have one in minutes, for less than $30.00.
Read up on the job you are about to perform, it will show you what special tools you will need and you will be much better prepared to tackle any job on your vehicle.
Jonathan Yip August 27, 2011, 06:19Enthusiast
I just did it myself a month or two ago.
It is quite straight forward. A Chilton or Hayes manual for your car will definitely help but not necessary.
You have to support the engine before you unscrew the engine mount. I do not remember exactly each step
but you need to do the following. Go slow each step and do not force anything. The following steps are needed. the sequence is roughly right, so do not force anything, try switch some of the steps.
1. remove air intake casing.
2. remove engine mount. (support the engine first!!!)
3. remove wiring around that area. (there is a screw inside the plastic cover for wires right above the timing belt cover.)
4. release serpentine belt and remove idle pulley unit. (use a ranch on the nut on the idle pulley to pull the unit inward. The unit is operated on a strong spring! It took me three hours without success and then a Spanish-only speaking retired mechanics helped me figure it out! I wished I had a manual at that time.)
5. remove the water pump driving pulley.
6. remove timing belt cover, make sure do not damage the timing belt or its settings. You may need to remove the power steering pump driving pulley.
7. the water pump is located right in the middle of all these timing belt mechanism.
8. unscrew the pump and replace it as usual..... You may want to clean the surroundings before installing the new pump as it is so close to the timing belt. You do not want any debris laying around and make the time belt jump teeth!
9. assemble in reverse order.
This was what I did without a manual at time, and it is for 2000 LW2 V6. HIH.