This is a DIY for removing the real parcel shelf in a Mk4 Jetta. The car used was a 2000 Jetta GLX VR6
1) remove the headrests for easy access
2) pry up the plastic LATCH System covers
3) use a socket wrench to remove the bolts. you'll need a 13mm socket.
4) there are metal sleves that need to be removed as well. they slide right out.
5) you need to disconect the 3rd brake light harness. open the trunk, and unclip it.
6) there are three plastic clips that hold the trim peice down. they pop right off.
7) slide the trim peice towards the front of the car, it'll come off with a little effort.
the underside of the trim panel: