runs ok but very little throttle responce
Toyota Q&AAsk Your Question
1998 Toyota Tacoma Question: how do i set the timing
Answer #1ZeeTech October 13, 2010, 09:50Master
Here it is from the manual:
1. WARM UP ENGINE Allow the engine to warm up to normal operating temperature.
2. CONNECT TOYOTA HAND-HELD TESTER OR OBD II SCAN TOOL
1. Connect the TOYOTA hand-held tester or OBD II scan tool to the DLC 3.
2. Please refer to the TOYOTA hand-held tester or OBD II scan tool operators manual for further details.
3. CHECK IGNITION TIMING
1. Using Special Service Tool (SST) , connect terminals TE1 and E1 of the DLC1. SST 09843-18020
HINT: After engine speed is kept at about 1,000 rpm for 5 seconds, check that it returns to idle speed.
2. Using a timing light, connect the test probe to the No.1 high-tension cord.
3. Check ignition timing.
Ignition timing: 3 - 7°BTDC @ idle
4. Remove the SST from the DLC1. SST 09843-18020
4. FURTHER CHECK IGNITION TIMING
Ignition timing: 4 - 17°BTDC @ idle
HINT: The timing mark moves in a range between 4°and 17°.
5. DISCONNECT TOYOTA HAND-HELD TESTER OR OBD II SCAN TOOL AND TIMING LIGHT