Chevrolet Q&A

1996 Chevrolet 1500 Pickup Question: How do I pinpoint a problem when the Charging Light stays on while driving?

Romy.deVenecia, 4.3L V6, Anaheim, CA, April 15, 2014, 23:17

My dash board charging light just started staying on, while driving. After Autozone tested the battery they said it was bad. I replaced the battery and the light still stays on. The Autozone tech said I need to drive it for a couple days and come back so they can run diagnostics. After 1 1/25 hours of driving the new battery failed. They tested it and said it had a bad cell,so they gave me another. The light still stays on and they want me to drive for a couple days before they run diagnostics. I noticed that every time I accelerate and the RPMs hit 2500 or higher, the charging light turns off. The charging light remains off for a few seconds, but it comes back on when the RPMs drop to the normal range (1500 - 2000). I also noticed that the dashboard voltage indicator remains around 10 (there is actually no number on that mark).

1 Answer

pushrod April 16, 2014, 01:13

REPLACE THE ALTERNATOR ASAP.!!!...Before this battery craps out.!!!... Do not be mistaken,....There are no mechanics working for Zone! Just parts pushing wannabes with no real diagnostic capabilities! If there were,, you would not be here!!