2002 Honda Civic Q&A

2002 Honda Civic Question: How do I determine the most probable cause of a starting problem?

I have a problem starting only rarely. The engine always turns over so it is not the battery but once in a while the engine does not catch. When it does start, everything appears normal. Because each spark coil is directly over each spark plug, I cannot use my timing light. What is the most probable defect and how should I check? -
This is a very open situation. Feed us some more. However, you can have the the starter checked at the parts store for free. -
when the car is in a crank-but no-start condition , turn the key to 'run' position and watch the check engine light and listen very carefully for a light click when the light goes out. try several times to verify. IF you do NOT here a click when the light goes out , then it's a good chance you have a failing 'main' relay. IF you do here a click , then you need to check further. Vehicle mileage and maint. history would be good info for us , to start. -
agree with ziptie -