Honda Prelude Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your Honda Prelude
- Warped Front Brake Rotors May Cause Vibration When Braking
- Misaligned Fifth Shift Fork May Cause Transmission to Grind on Upshift
- Compressed upper damper spacers may cause clunking noise
- Faulty Master Cylinder Resevoir Filter Can Cause Brake Light After Cold Start
- Uninsulated damper mounts may cause jingling noise from rear
- how do u remove the starter to get it replaced in a 92 honda prelude?
- 93 prelude shuts off while driving
- Front left brake gets hot and wears the pads/rotors.
- Why would my interior light and blinkers, power locks and windows, quit working?
- when I am accelerating/shifting my car just dies but theres still power.how/why
Honda Prelude Problems
The front brake rotors can warp and cause a vibration when braking. The rotors will need to be machined or in cases where they are worn to thin, replaced to correct this issue.
On some models the manual transmission fifth gear can grind on upshift due to a misaligned fifth shift fork. The transmission will have to be removed and disassembled and the fifth gear, the fifth sleeve set and the fifth gear shift fork will have to be replaced to repair this issue.
A clunk noise can develop from the rear due to upper damper spacers compressing over time. Installing new damper collars is required to stop the noise.
Honda Prelude Questions
2.2 Prelude SOHC shuts off while driving. Replaced ICM and it was fine for about a month then I had the same problem again Some say ignition switch, others say bad ICM, i don't have a clue as to what the problem is. Can anyone give me some insight???
We've replaced everything except the flex lines, still gets hot and smells like burning rubber.
Honda Prelude Recalls
Honda has recalled 1997-2001 Prelude, 1999-2002 Accord, and 1999-2000 Acura TL models because the ignition switch interlock may fail. If this happens, the key will be removable before the engine is in the "Park" position, which could cause the vehicle to roll and crash. Dealers will confirm interlock function and vehicles will receive an updated interlock lever free of charge.
The electrical contacts in the ignition switch may be worn. This may cause the engine to stall while driving, increasing the risk of a crash. Dealers will replace the ignition switch to correct this concern. This recall is expected to begin by June 14, 2002.
The ball joints in the front suspension may prematurely wear out. The ball joints could break in severe circumstances, which may cause an accident. Dealers will replace the front suspension lower ball joints. This recall is expected to begin by May 17, 1999.
Honda Prelude Reviews
260,000 miles and I still drive it daily. Best car I've ever owned. Don't buy a new car. Find a babied Prelude, not modified, adult owned. They are out there! It has had the usual stuff done for repair and maintenence and I change the oil every 3-4000 miles. I have the VTEC.
This is A sweet car to have and will soon be A collectors item?
Ive got a 89 prelude and the car is a Beast!