Reviews for Honda Pilot years:

Honda Pilot Reviews and Owner Comments

Honda PilotOwner Reviews (38 reviews)
    Visitor, Lowell, MA, February 09, 2014 06:04
    Hi i have a 2005 honda pilot with 103k and everytime i hit the left turn signal and brake pedal my radio and dash light with the lights off but works normal when lights on,i replaced all the bulbs...any ideas what it might be
    Visitor, Lakeville, CT, October 29, 2013 06:43
    This car should've come in yellow because it is the ultimate lemon. It has 150,000 miles and burns a quart of oil every 10 days, and service tells us this is "normal". Every 7,000 miles the dashboard is like an unexplained ligth show requiring to pay the fees for reset, and an explanation that they don't understand why this happens. Ultimately will never buy another honda product....
    Avery Automotive, Wichita, KS, July 31, 2013 05:31
     Technician
    This had been a great suv. Wish got better gas mpg but ok. Tons of room. We have 65k miles on it and just done normal service. Would buy another one for sure
    Visitor, Daly City, CA, April 23, 2013 16:52
    I am the original owner of my 2004 pilot and just went over 104,000.00 miles and cannot complain as the car is reaching 10 years old now. Low mainteanance and have been to the snow, hot sun, beaches, camping etc. great family car and would definately buy another one.
    Visitor, Oak Harbor, WA, February 21, 2013 14:29
    We LOVE our Pilot! We purchased it new in 2005, after 8 years it has 140K miles on it, so we're using it a lot and have zero problems. Besides routine oil changes, we've had the brakes/rotors replaced, on our third set of tires (includes the originals). Great car!
    Visitor, Johnstown, OH, November 15, 2012 12:28
    Radio and ac/ heat unit lights went out at 4 yrs. Only way to replace is to get a whole new unit. Ball joints going out at 120,000. However, original shocks/ struts replaced at 120,000. Overall, excellent vehicle, but things start going at around 120,000 miles.
  • 2010 Honda Pilot
    Visitor, Lake Forest, CA, July 30, 2012 11:54
    2010 Pilot has 2 leaking rear shocks. Fladaboe Honda in Irvine said I carried/towed too much. Wife's kid driver has never towed, carried or off roaded. Trailer hitch and chain holder still fresh paint. They said I carried heavy loads of wood because they found small splinters in the rear carpet. I showed them the blanket from the soccer field having the same "wood chips" being grass blades. They said they would not warranty it. They said a spring was sagging and I must have driven off road. Indepenent shop varified no damage to shocks with in depth measurments. Honda is forcing me to small claims for a 600 dollar job. Was that enough to loose me as a customer and all those who read this?
    Visitor, Ceres, CA, June 11, 2012 09:37
    I have had my Honda for over 3 years it is a great car with regular maintenance. The electrical is bad though, this is the third time a different door does not unlock and one of my windows went out. The speakers make a buzzing sound,but I like loud music so that was my fault. When I am driving on occasions my "D' light flashes (I dont know what that means)and my car has developed a loud knocking sound due to the motor mounts, the Airbag light is always on- that was a recall though. Other than that the car is a great family car it run smoothly and good on gas. I would definitely buy a pilot if i didnt have one.!!
    grizrun, Bigfork, MT, January 16, 2012 08:49
    I bought my 2003 EXL with 95K on it. I have had to replace almost every suspension part including ball joints. All that being said it drives and operates nicely in the winter. There is a severe vibration noise coming from the rear of the vehicle that sounds like going over bump strips. It actually slows the vehicle down. Maybe differential clutches or ?? Any thoughts?
  • 2008 Honda Pilot
    Visitor, Columbus, OH, December 13, 2011 06:52
    Even though I park my Pilot in the garage every night, each morning I have a low tire pressure light on at least one tire sometimes two.I am really getting tired of checking air pressure and pumping air on these cold Ohio mornings. What can I do?
    Visitor, Akron, OH, October 17, 2011 08:52
    I've owned (2) 2003 Honda Pilots. Bought first Pilot EX-L in late 2002. I had it until it was totaled by a kid running a red light in July 2010. (154K miles). Very reliable vehicle. I had no major repairs that weren't part of regular maintenance. With the insurance money + $1500, i was able to purchase a 2003 Pilot EX in August 2010 (96K miles). Previous owner maintained vehicle better than I did mine. I've put 23K miles on it; no problems, reliable as expected. If you are able to pay for the regular maintenance schedule (15K), the Pilot should last for years after it has been paid for.
    Visitor, Dandridge, TN, October 08, 2011 17:53
    I have a 2003 pilot when the ignition is on and in park the P as in park light will come on as uaual but now the D as in drive light will come on as well when put into amy gear the light will go off. Is this a major problem.
    Visitor, Sylvania, OH, September 14, 2011 14:58
    Bought the 07 new. 2 wheel drive with ECO-DRIVE. Good car but the gas mileage has never been close to what they said. I check the mileage every tankful and usually get 17.2 in the city and 19 on the highway. Not the 19 & 22 on the sticker.
    Visitor, Tuscaloosa, AL, September 01, 2011 11:01
    We just bought a used 2005 with 80k miles in 2011 and we love it. Only issue we've had is that it started idling hot with the air conditioner on. That just happened today for the first time. Any advice?
    Visitor, Woodland, CA, August 16, 2011 12:56
    I am the original owner and my car just turned over 120,000. This is a car that is driven hard! Sun, sand, snow and mud. It has performed nicely but I have replaced brakes twice and air conditioning went out. I had replaced but makes a crazy sound when on full blast. I really have enjoyed this car and it has taken a beating from family vacations, daily work and school grind as well as many work trips. Would buy again...
    Visitor, Friendswood, TX, June 03, 2011 10:32
    We bought our 2004 Honda Pilot in 2010. The rotors were 'juddery' when we test drove it but the dealer we bought from turned the rotors for us at no extra charge that very same day and we drove away happy. I have to say that this has been an absolutely brilliant motor vehicle. Its as smooth as smoth as can be and easily outranks its nearest rivals like the Toyota Highlander. Has fantastic acceleration from standstill and for a V6 engine pulling the weight that it does is just superb! It's now done 102k miles and still drives like new. Smells like new every time we get in it as well. It's pretty responsive and very comfortable to drive. Ok so it's not great on sharp corners at any great speed but this is an SUV not a sports coupe we are talking about. Mechanically it has been great, starts first time every time even when we've been away for a few weeks. Runs quiet and gives a great ride. I have no problem whatsoever with it and would most definately buy another one. Top marks Honda!
    Visitor, Evans, CO, March 27, 2011 19:10
    We bought our 04 pilot new and for the most part have been happy. milage isn't the greatest...thought it would be better, the brakes-rotors and all the shimmey when you apply the brakes is annoying...dealership blames driving habits- WHATEVER! i wish someone could figure out the problem and correct it...seems like we're paying too much for the ongoing problem since my wife only drives it in town mostly.
    Visitor, Mansfield, OH, January 19, 2011 06:00
    Bought this 4wd new and within 20,000 miles had thumping steering noise that turned out to be a loose power steering unit. Tightening fixed it. When new the vents for rear AC/HV were switched and had to be switched to proper. Often, simply by getting in the drivers seat the rear heat turns on high but dealer says that can't happen. Now at 61,000 miles I have a center differential leak and a grinding noise when turning, may be related. FIRST AND LAST HONDA I WILL EVER OWN.
    Visitor, Upland, CA, December 13, 2010 00:03
    Hey... Anonymous from Seneca, SC with the 2007 Pilot: If your Pilot is a 2WD – From VIN 5FNYF2...7B000001 thru 5FNYF2...7B040535, this is a known problem. Look for Honda TSB 07-070 on the web or, better yet, go to your dealer and have them bring it up on the service computer... they should have known about this and saved you some your cash if your VIN falls in that group because, even out of warranty, the bulletin says, "Any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Parts and Service Manager or your Zone Office. You must request consideration, and get a decision, before starting work." According to the bulletin, it's a 5 hour job plus the dealer's retail parts charge (9 rocker arms and 3 gaskets at around a grand).
    jttheiss, Austin, TX, December 01, 2010 12:04
    My wife purchased this Pilot new in 2004. The only mechanical problem we had is the brakes went out in 40k. Dealer says normal. Otherwise, my only complaint is lousy gas mileage (14-20). We bought the Pilot because it was rated better in gas mileage than comparable vehicles and our GM and Ford friends get the same or better. Of course, we have a Honda which I hope will outlast their vehicles.
    Visitor, Columbus, GA, November 18, 2010 19:06
    Bought Pilot new in 06. The greatest purchase ever. Did have a squeaking sound at 33000 miles but Honda replaced the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump at no cost to me. It has been wonderful every since. This is the car for me and my family. Need auto seat and mirror ajustment.
    Visitor, Seneca, SC, November 17, 2010 12:31
    2007 honds pilot valve train noise (excessive) took it back to honda with 62000 miles on it 2000 miles out of warranty had to replace all the rocker arms $2000.00 later have had it back 2 more times for the same problem anyone else having problems like this? VERY DISSIPOINTED WITH HONDA PRODUCTS !!!!!
    Bills On Broadway, Grove City, OH, September 14, 2010 11:44
     Technician
    I have an 04' Pilot, that I bought for my wife to drive, and I love the low maintenance features.
    Visitor, Knoxville, TN, September 03, 2010 08:05
    This is the only vehicle I've owned (25 years) that I have not grown tired of and wanted to trade in. It's got 95k on it with only oil changes. It's an awesome vehicle and I hope it runs forever!
    Visitor, Sicklerville, NJ, August 23, 2010 10:56
    I got my '03 in July of '02. It now has 204k and all I do to maintain it is change the oil regularly. I switched to full synthetic oil long time ago. But through the years, I also,changed brake pads 4x, changed tires 2x, changed battery and timing belt once. It is a very good car.
    Visitor, Smithtown, NY, July 03, 2010 21:09
    I am the original owner of my 2004 Honda Pilot with just over 107K miles. My car is now experiencing the common vibration problem that comes from the rear differential. The service bulletins say that a fluid change should take care of this. I hope this is true. An annoying problem that I have are the lights on the control console. About 5 of them are now out, this shouldn't happen. I was told that the entire console would need to be replaced to change lights. No way. Also, front suspension is now making noise....
    Visitor, Ashburn, VA, July 02, 2010 12:41
    Love it! Took it on a ski trip this winter during the biggest blizzard in a century and it was kicking ass all the way through the mountains. The house was at the bottom of a fairly steep driveway, no problems going through 8 to 12 inches of snow. Drives great, just reg. maintenance. Wish it got a better gas mileage but it's '03 after all.
  • 2008 Honda Pilot
    kodolama, Collierville, TN, April 13, 2010 11:15
    Love it.
    Visitor, Philadelphia, PA, April 07, 2010 02:47
    Funny. I bought the Pilot because no one would continue to take me to the dealership with the Jeep GC that I had for weekly repairs. Good move for me.
    Visitor, Philadelphia, PA, April 07, 2010 02:44
    This winter we had 2 feet of snow. I had to get to work in the blizzard. The Pilot was better than the jeep that I owned. The 4X is flawless, up hills and down, even in reverse. Now I will take it on the beach to go fishing! It is not a mini van with a leather jacket! Believe me.
    Visitor, Philadelphia, PA, April 07, 2010 02:37
    2007 Pilot. Chatter when you go over bumps. It was the parking brake. The rear brakes have the parking brake inside of the rear hub, and they must be taken apart, lubricated and adjusted. This procedure made it more quiet. I would recommend the dealership to do this procedure.
    Visitor, Philadelphia, PA, April 07, 2010 02:32
    2007 Honda Pilot. A chattering noise from the engine. You could here it clearly if you listen by the passenger side wheel well. It is the water pump, tensioner, or maybe the timeing belt. There was a recall for the 2003. The dealership picked it right out when I brought it to their attension. It could break the timing belt. Honda does have a service bulliten out on that year. I have 32K miles. Otherwise, I love the Pilot.
    Visitor, Monroe Township, NJ, March 28, 2010 12:27
    Reliable car. Would probably buy again.
    pamela405, Modesto, CA, December 30, 2009 09:33
    This car runs great I had a few problems at first to start with like electrical since the alarm wasn't installed incorrectly. The interior is fine but now that I've driven it for over 6 months and all I hear now are squeaks and vibrations from the dash board and the doors. There is a safety issue with the car since I have kids there should be some kind of blockage under the driver seat so that nothing is able to roll towards the gas and the brake. I have had a few incidents where a milk or water bottle has rolled towards my foot. Other than that I love this car its very roomy and spacious.
    eps492003, Brooklyn, NY, August 11, 2009 07:50
    Loved the Pilot ever since I touched it 4 years ago, got myself one last year & I love it. not sure if Honda's have transmission problems or just my car feels like it drags the transmission into a lower gear when I slow down to 25-20mph. otherwise I'm very happy.
    Honda Pilot, Dallas, TX, May 14, 2009 09:27
    It is now a year since I bought my used 2007 Honda Pilot. It is without question the best automobile I have ever owned of the US domestic made 21 cars I have owned for at least a year. It had 32K miles and now is 48K and all I have put into it is the cost of oil changes every 5k miles. It is one well thought out auto made to last with quality parts. I am so impressed with Honda I will be trading my wife's car for a Honda later this year.
    Tom_2, Dalton, GA, December 05, 2008 11:56
    GREAT Vehicle and THE best car I have ever owned. Currently have over 190k miles on a 2003 Pilot. The only complaint is that the entertainment system has devloped an annoying buzzing sound and the plastic shrouding surrouding the driver's seat broke.
    abreug, Claridge, PA, November 21, 2008 10:18
    works perfect, everything in order however Electrical console on passenger side keeps coming out, vibration as door opens and closes pushes it out all the time.