heating problem on 1997 BMW Z3

I have a new thermostat in my BMW Z3 but it stays normal when i am driving on the highway. When i go into town the car heats up and then goes back to normal and then heats up again. What is my problem?

by in Stephens City, VA on March 27, 2009
2 answers
ANSWER by on March 27, 2009
I would make sure that your cooling fan(s) work correctly and that your radiator flows properly. Are you driving with the A/C on? I ask this because there is a dedicated electric cooling fan for the A/C system when ever it is used and it should come on as soon as the A/C is engaged. If this is not working correctly your car will run hot when it isn't on the highway.
1 person likes thisFlag inappropiateReply
ANSWER by on June 27, 2010
When they added new coolant you need to purge the system of air.You can google the procedure like on the Peligan Parts web site. I had the same problem when the previous owner change coolant and did not purge the system. I have a 4 cylinder some ther are a little different steps. Drove me crasy at first but not overheating now air in radiator gave cooling fan a false reading and would not come on.
1 person likes thisFlag inappropiateReply
My 1996 BMW Z3 heater does not work. I can get a/c and defrost to work but not heat. Any thoughts on what could be the problem. The car does not overheat and runs fine.
I have replace the thermostat and the engine continues to heat up and cool down while driving. the cooling fan is working or at least it is turning. What else could be the problem? Could I have the...
After replacing a bulb behind the heating dash I had a short circuit and ended up without any dash lights. Checked all fuses (fuse box under the bonnet) and they are all ok!!!!! To make sure even ...
a thermostat replaced I drove 1 and one half blocks and the car had a loss in power in the gas petal and the car went to red I took it back to the shop and they said I would needed my head gasge...
had my car idling and started to over heat now i have water poring on ground on the back end of motor what might it be from