Chevrolet Q&A

1993 Chevrolet G Series Van (G20) Question: Having problems taking window motor out of 1993 Chevy sport van.Drivers side.

Richard TM, Lowell, MA, October 16, 2013, 07:16

Took all the bolts out and the unit has an arm that is spot welded to the door.I know I have to drill them out but it is very difficult to see how it disengages from the window track.The access hole is off to the left side.I can feel rust along the track where the bottom of the window sets on.How do I properly remove the motor?

G. T. Service Center (4188 Answers) , Stephenville, TX - (254) 638-3236
    ProfessorG October 16, 2013, 07:27

When regulator is not attached to door slide the regulator rearward to remove roller from slide at the notch in the channel. Collapse regulator and remove regulator w/motor, then drill rivets to remove motor.

Richard TM, October 16, 2013, 07:48

The regulator and motor are attached to each other.At least that's what it appears to be.I know there is a powerful spring on the regulator and I understand there is a process to disconnect the regulator safely to change the motor.

• Medium-star Best Answer
    pushrod October 16, 2013, 08:58

IF THE REGULATOR IS OK:: there should be 3 dimples in the door where the motor retaining bolts are, drill out these dimples then enlarge the holes enough to access the three bolts or retainers, remove them then the motor will come off from the back side, that is all that needs to be removed or unbolted! You do not have to remove the lift assembly to replace this motor! Drill out these holes now before you put everything back in place, it will be eaiser. Do you have a replacement motor to look at? I Just replaced one last week, same deal, G-20 van! If you do it like i am telling you, the spring is not even tampered with!! It's a 30 min. job tops, even for a diy 'er!

Richard TM, October 21, 2013, 08:06

Thank you pushrod. I did have a motor that I ordered on line.I was able to install the the motor and did as you said.On my van there is a small opening so you can see part of the regulator and I could see the three mounting bolts off to the side of the opening.There were 2 holes about a 1/4 " in diameter that lined up with 2 of the bolts. I enlarged the 2 holes with a drumell tool I had. The 3rd hole off to the right I had to cut a slot on the and of the opening.After that it was a piece of cake.I had to replace the dual window switch at the same time as that was shot also.Thank you for sharing your expertise to help me out.
    I am a retired electrician and if you have any questions that I could help you with please don't hesitate to contact me..........Richard

pushrod, October 21, 2013, 08:24

You are welcom Richard, glad to help! I will take you up on that help with electrical work cause I cant see that stuff that shocks me but can surely feel it! Glad you got the window repaired. I dont have any online connections to these big repair guide sites, just answers from what I have aleady experenced in the field. MOST of the time I have been there done that after 42 years of turning wrenches! However i still get it wrong sometimes, always have, always will but that's ok with me.