having a problem with my manual transmission on 2009 Volkswagen Jetta

My vehicle originally would not shift into reverse or fifth gear, just would not engage. Took it to the dealer i bought it and they lubed it and it worked for a few days. Then all of a sudden when I left my driverway and shifted into what i thought was first I stalled. I restarted the car and when I shifted into what i thought was first it was very loose. The shifter can freely move across the entire upper part where first and fifth should be and same on the bottom, i can shift into fourth but no second. Reverse will also not work. So now I was stuck going to work driving in third and fourth gear only. Any help on what this might be would be appreciated as I do not trust the dealer i took it to and according to my warranty I have to give them the option to fix it before it will be covered.

by in Dayton, OH on February 05, 2014
2 answers
ANSWER by on February 06, 2014
Probably shift cables loose or broken.
ANSWER by on February 06, 2014
AGREE WITH #1 HAVE THEM CK CABLES FOR HANGING UP OR STICKING
My car will not go in reverse sometimes. It happens randomly and usually works eventually. One time I had to push it back from a parking space to get out. The gear shift goes into the spot of re...
How many Kms or miles can I go yet before I run into serious problems with my manual transmission, thanks
I am able to get my jetta into gear however it will not engage and go into reverse sometimes. I may have to play with it for 30 mins or more
OKay so I have had this epc light coming on my 01 jetta 1.8t for a long time no one seems to find a solution to it i Have spent so much money on it and i need it fix. I have replaced the battery,pe...