Plymouth Q&A

1999 Plymouth Neon Question: Have no(((SPARK))) (is FORSURE an electrical problem) after valve job performed

VmaxKen, San Francisco, CA, May 29, 2012, 10:10

2.0 liter SOHC, first generation vin designation 'C'.
After new valves, timing belt, (cylinder head removed). When initial attempt to start, engine cranked over - but no electrical on dash, traced that problem to the BODY not being grounded, could find no cables, straps, or wires that were disconected, so I fabricated a ground cable going from engine to cylinder head. Sha-Zam electrics now present. Attempted to start - no start - traced problem to having no spark at plugs, or coil.

Did 'flashing light' test at coil pack connection. Then replaced CPS (camshaft position sensor), then the CRPS (crankshaft position sensor) In that order.

Again this is ((AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM)).

I am wondering if attempting to start for a time with the body not grounded could have damaged the PCM? (as it is bolted to the body) Remember the starter was working fine, even though nothing else electrical (lights, and dash indicators) would work) I really would not like to replace the PCM $$$$ if not the soulution.

All relays were switched around - NOT the problem - all fuses checked, one other thing, when we were cranking it over last week, I noticed some smoke coming from the rear of engine compartment - the exhaust side-.

Does the PCM have to be reset, every time I replace a component (CPS, CRPS)?? there are no trouble codes when testing with my OBD I, or II.

Please read this question carefully, before answering.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, as this is my daughters only car, and I am just trying to get it back on the road.

Ken @ K.C. Engineering (Motorcycle tire, and service center)
San Francisco, Ca.