Buick Q&A

2011 Buick LaCrosse Question: Has anyone had battery positive terminal crrosion problems?

PeterDHH, Lubbock, TX, October 28, 2012, 19:21

Difficult starting resulted in a check of the battery termeinals and the positive terminal of the 2011 LaCrosse was VERY badly corroded, eating into the clamp and some piece of metal plate that is under the clamp. I thought maybe there was a leak in the battery case near the post, but didn't see any cracks.
Strange battery cabling set up, with junction box on top of the battery. I guess the designer never has changed a battery in a car.
Anyone else with a similar problem? design fault?

ziptie12 October 28, 2012, 21:07

I know this doesn't answer your question , but is it out of warranty?

petertd, September 15, 2013, 15:48

no, it was still under warrenty. Dealer fixed it, no chg. Battery case was cracked near post allowing acid to seep out. dealer replaced battery, positive cable and removed the tiedown connected to the pos term that was likely caused the problem.

your.mechanic October 29, 2012, 01:17

No Peter, I have not experienced a 2011 Buick LaCrosse with corroded battery terminals...yet.

Greg's Orange Auto (13428 Answers) , Orange, CA - (714) 361-9386
    globalhelper October 29, 2012, 06:22

poss battery bolt punctured the bottom of the battery insert,remove cable and ck for leak were battery bolts screws into. iv seen this b4.

prvardan December 29, 2013, 10:49

I recently had this problem on my 2011 Buick Lacrosse CXL V6. My wife had been using the car and told me the car wouldn't start. I then tried it and it worked every time, so I didn't know what she was talking about. Then she had me try starting it one morning, and it wouldn't work for me either. I got a clicking noise while turning the key, and the display screen said to service the stabilitrak and brake assist. Anyway, I called AAA and they came to jump it. We looked at the battery and acid was all over the positive terminal. It was caked on there, and had eaten the nut of the clamp on the terminal. I took it to the dealership, but my extended warranty wouldn't cover it, so I went to my mechanic, and had them replace the battery. I need to figure out the oem battery, and call the company to see if they will reimburse me, cause I think they're covered for like 5 years.