GMC Reviews and Owner Comments

GMC owners review and rate their GMC.

GMC (355 Reviews)
Overall
The passlock has been a headache in regards to this truck. GM you owe a lot of people a recall! You know this is an issue! Fix it!
Bought used with 47201 on odometer, runs great, look great, really happy with my purchase. Only thing had to replace was the right passenger headlight bulb.
I purchased a 2007 GMC Acadia.. BIGGEST MISTAKE of my life... 70,000 miles transmission went on it... 75,000 miles timing chain went on it.. 80,000 miles censors went on it... Now timing chain just went again 2 days before I have to go back to work.. I'm a single father raising 2 kids and can't afford this shit.. I am totally screwed...
I bought my 2001 Sierra PU new in Nov. 2000. It's now June 18, 2016 - 317,000+ miles later on original motor.

Notes:

1. Replaced radiator at 293,000+ miles.
2. Replaced transmission at 238,000 miles
3. Replaced alternator at around 275,000 miles.
4. Fuel pump - worst part on the truck. I've replaced 4 times at least, almost $700 a pop. It's in a funky location so it's the labor of getting that sucker apart that's expensive.
5. Rear differential has gone out twice. Once at 6,000 miles (under warranty) and then at approx 230,000 miles (big bucks)
6. ABS system busted around 80,000 miles.
7. AC system is the bomb. Best AC in all of my vehicles.
8. Passenger side window motor broke at 305,000 miles. The door locks are getting iffy. The interior is absolutely intact. Except for a he leather steering wheel that is now coming apart. No holes in the cloth seats.

I have towed: boats, jet skis, horse trailers. Fully loaded. I have hauled furniture, hay, rocks, dirt, Christmas trees, landscaping stuff, you name it. It has been to about 10 western states. A lot. Not one problem on any trip.

Bottom line is that most major issues lasted well after 240,000 miles.

Other than that - oil changes, changing of filters and fluids, and overall basic care of this baby has kept it going. It's just some overall cosmetics that need addressing.

#chevygirl #neverford #neverdodge
I've had the vehicle for six months. It just went through its first inspection and it only needed tie rods. I consistently have check engine light issues with the gas cap and others that I am unaware of however the truck runs great. I recently installed an "innovative" power performance chip and you can definitely feel the boost . Has anyone installed a performance air intake system, if so is it worth it.
Semper Fi
Why did my inside/outside a.c. door quit working. Button dash lights up but door does not move. 2002 GMC Sierra 2500hd duramax

Granted I am going off of my own personal 1999 Yukon Denali which had about 82,000 miles had a brand-new 350 crate motor put in it by Chevy before I bought it , I did change the exhaust with magna flow true dual plus highflown cats and a can and cool air intake I get fantastic power and considering the weight I get great gas mileage . Breaks I had met with this size and weight of vehicle the brakes could be larger , as far as electrical it has been known that the Denali will have some electrical problems concerning the windows ,Windshield wipers ,and stereo as they are connected together, the drivetrain is fantastic the first thing I did when I test drove the vehicle was taken out four wheeling it does come with two will hi for Wilhide four-wheel low and all-wheel-drive and is a fantastic four-wheel-drive system considering if you are in snow we're dealing with rain or icy roads four-wheel-drive my Dinali climbs incredibly, I love the interior the seats are fantastic considering I am on disability and do have chronic back pain the seats are very comfortable and make it possible for me to do long trips , the air-conditioning of the vehicle I have no complaints the controls for the back cool Authorware the vehicle break quickly and the Franckles off quickly as well considering I do live in southern Nevada in the desert and we do get 110 215° in the summer is still an all-around great vehicle , please you have to figure the 1999 Yukon Denali was painted black and had a Cadillac emblem placed on it and was called the Cadillac Escalade in 1999 , so if it's good enough to make a Cadillac out of its greatest far comfort as far as four-wheel-drive and you're climbing or harsh weather such as mud or snow or ice the four-wheel-drive system is better than that of the Tahoe like I said I'm going by my personal vehicle , and I never really liked GMC or big on Chevy except for the cars until I bought my Yukon Denali . But one should consider before you spend the tens of thousands or $100,000 on a Cadillac Escalade look at a Yukon Denali first, you get the comfort of Cadillac but you get the durability and the drivetrain of an awesome four-wheel-drive.
Dash and gauge lights are too dim... New switch does not fix the problem...
My first GM truck went 150,000 miles with only minor repairs(1995 Cheyenne) It is still on the road today! My 2008 GMC 4x4 has had one issue after another. Stuck active fuel management lifter=$3000, bad power windows switch on all doors but Driver, Bad Power mirror switch on the driver, Bad break light switch. The Service Traction Control light comes on at random. The driver side rear door fills with water. The dash has cracked in 2 places and I have had it for 25000 miles. I bought what I thought was a good used truck and have 100000 miles on it now, but this will be my last GM purchase.
I have a 2003 GMC Envoy XL SLE purchased brand new. Parked in heated garage, 205,000 miles. Speedometer died at 101k miles tach died at 175k. GMC instrument cluster is ripe with problems so i removed it and had it rebuilt for $150. See youtube for repair shops and how to remove, the removal and installation of the cluster is so easy and took 10 minutes!. Dealer wanted $1,000 4 years ago. I should have done this three years ago, If you get it rebuilt do the complete cluster as eventually all of the gauges will die.
Rear speakers have died and i think that is my next fix.
I have replaced brakes myself that is so easy as well. New Disk and pads throw away the old and replace with Premium Parts do not use less then premium parts as the brakes will chatter and wear way too soon.
The rear Glass tailgate hatch mechanism will fail, i need to learn how to replace that. Help on that would be appreciated.
Replaced both the Wheel bearing and did Upper control arms and tie rod ends. that took a few days but i saved over $900.
The Rear back up light reflectors will fail, fill with water and cause the socket to require replacement. That was a very easy project and reflector and socket cost less that $30 per side.
Engine is 100% great
Transmission is 100% great because i have the towing package with trans cooler. I have never towed but the cooler protects and enhances the life of the transmission.
My wife and i love this car and lament the day we will have to say good bye. Maybe one of the kids will take it after college.
Rear speakers have died and i think that is my next fix.
Engine is 100% great
Just bought the truck 5 months ago from dealer. Was told safety inspected of course. Just two months after bought it noticed coolant was dissapearing an not a spot on ground. Was adding here an their then recient checked oil an noticed was clean but half inch up dip stick. Ok their is where my coolant is going. So yep ANOTHER blown head gasket. I had a 2000 gmc 5.3 with no issues high miles but never any issues. I get another after i hit a deer with other this one is a 2004 gmc 5.3. So far all the forums on this truck down to the door handles not closing all the way this truck has. After replacing axle shaft seals front . Looks like their leaking so of course its not the seals could i get that lucky as a easy fix. Nope need to replace axle shafts themselves. Im not at all supprised. I wish i still had my 2000 gmc. Great truck for age an miles that damm deer costed me a good running truck an haunted with what next on this 2004. 2001 an up nothing but issues from what i have seen... advice stay away from this year an few years above ..

My only problem in my 2009 canyon with 4cyl engine extended cab occured after 100,000 miles.For some reason the engine would not start.If I wait for 15 minutes the engine started.This usually happens once a month. I now have 150,000 after seven years.

m

m
1 Bad ASS truck, 160,000. Best for the money.
I own a 09 GMC Canyon and I have had it in and out of the transmission shop since I have had it! it has a warranty yet after I get it fixed it starts shifting hard from first to high!
I am so flustered about this. Thank you
last night my wife noticed the battery light on and so i changed the battery checked the alternator which read 14.6 volts. This morning she took our soon to school went inside to drop son off came out and car started but gauges did not work. she made it home and when turned car off heard an electrical pop. Could this be the alternator?
We have a 2015 Yukon XL loving this sporty gorgeous SUV it has got slimmer around quarter panels and fenders the LED lights are a notch. The interior was design better love all the things you can do through touch screen as with navigation/Pandora its very plus. I have the 4WD model with XL package rides real smooth the xenon headlights are brighter enough driving on a dark highway. Yukon accelerates well while performance is very amazing engine sound quiet available with a push button/engine start. Interior got lots of room the quality is simply best on Yukon blind spot warning indicator great more top of the line SUV with everything got in Yukon just love love it found perfect size SUV no shortcomings with nothing on Yukon handles impressive all of bells and whistles steering controls are nice too this is a good looking SUV includes OnStar and Bose sound absolutely enjoy every bit of the Yukon a real nice SUV.
Bought from a friend with 88,000 in Kentucky now I've driven over 256,000 miles runs fine only thing noticed lately be temp coolant gauge gets stuck but never overheats or leave me stranded. The Jimmy does well in MN snow very reliable driving this SUV nothing never need replacing my closes friend took really great care of this SUV gets good gas mileage. Cloth seats are comfortable has lots of power with 6 cylinder engine it is in good shape. Love it, would definitely buy another of these something ever happen to this one I am changing original spark plugs one of wheel bearings needs replacing so far the Jimmy has been a very good SUV hasn't suffered rust yet though be in snow a lot for a Southern SUV happy with it.
I owned this truck since Jan 2008. Now time for an upgraded pickup have enjoyed GM products and my Sierra with 134,000 miles never gave me problems will miss this truck done nothing but minor things.
the dash board is cracking bad in two spots
over all the truck has been pretty good, the main problems have been the ac and heater controls are not reliable and all the gauges have failed and a little rust on roof.
I have a 1995 on my second engine no 5 cylinder keeps going bad
spent $1500.00 now I can't afford a another one second engine lasted
one month not happy
I purchased the pickup new. You could add all the vehicles that I have owned in the past 37 years where the headlights burnt out or failed due to any electrical problems and would find that this truck has burned far more lamps than the past 37 years. The lamps have been changed each time with factory specification lamps. Mainly Daytime running lights and low beams.A number of dash light have burnt out.
Another frustrating item is dash light changing intensity or even going out completely. Why no Recall on there Electrical System? Give me a good reason to stay brand loyal if they wont fix there problems!
Bought this vehicle used and love it. A smooth, luxurious ride. Our favorite things: Sturdy suspension, all-wheel drive has ruined us for ever having a vehicle with front-wheel, and the rubber mats are a quick clean-up fix. Only thing that has been a small let down- the dashboard cracked at 64,000 miles. I believe the weight of the speaker in the dashboard was just too much. If the dash were braced more adequately, this probably wouldn't have happened. All-in-all, this has been a dream vehicle.
I've had my 8 passenger GMC Safari XLS van 11 years and it's a rock. The floor is original with no holes ever, the transmission is original with only a sealant replaced once with never a clunk on shifting, and the 6 cylinder engine is the original with well over 400,000 km and counting. It is also so quiet you can barely hear it running. The driver's seat is the most comfortable place to sit inside or out, including my house, and it is just so reliable.The dutch doors on the rear are great with the convenience of a rear wiper. Not perfect of course but I love my sporty 2 wheel drive green van and I plan to keep it on the road as long as I possibly can! Never mind this is the year 2014, I'm not quitting!!!LOVE MY VAN!!!
2004 model. Had recall repair for hazard light activation instead of turn signals in use. Occasional hot air from passenger side dash vents instead of cold when AC in use. Service ride control message came on last year. Water pump failure this year causing engine light and hot coolant message. Other than that, four accidents cause by others and this SUV has protected me and my family fabulously! GM needs to spend more research on their electrical issues!!!
I gave the heating and air conditioning rating a 3 due to number 5 doesn't work in my care but still 4 is ice cold. But lets get to the heart of the matter. I'm having a problem with my rear break lights on both sides the middle brake light above the hatch works I also have running lights and turn signals and reverse lights just no brake lights. I've replaced the rear circuit boards on both sides and checked all the fuses and checked the break switch under the dash by the pedal. I'm so stuck that I'm going to loose my mind if I can't figure this out. Please any body have this problem or know of any body that has. I so stressed out about it that i don't even want to really wait to find out on this site I'll do one even better I can be reached at 215-260-7986 my name is Mike please If the car GOD car hear my prayers don't hesitate to call. please and thank you.
Love this vehicle. We purchased used with 32,000 miles. At 50,000 we had it back to our dealer for work, but do not recall what was repaired. 177, 000 miles now and still going. Have done most past warranty repairs in our shop, which required the purchase of some tools we did not have. At about 100,000 miles we replaced the throttle body assembly. At about 150,000 we replaced plugs and plug wires, and both front CV joints. The door panels and lower seat panels have plastic clips. Wish the clips were metal. On the drivers side, where use is heaviest these clips broke after about 50, 000 miles. We used JB Weld to do our own repair to the clips and have not had any problems since.
My friend bought a 1999 Gmc Jimmy on a good buy ..She bought it in March 2014 since then we had to replace spiders for the fuel injectors,converter,ball joints, tires seem to leak was told cause they are aluminum .Not only that gas milage 13 to 16 when we were told it should get 17 to 22.body is in nice shape.but the truck is starting to be a nightmare,..
The first problem I had with my vehicle was the engine light constantly coming on due to gas cap. The second problem was the headlights blowing, which is expensive to replace. I have replaced head lights about 5 times in the past 4 years.My maine concern now is when you take your foot off the accelerator to come to a stop the truck accelerates by itself forcing you to slam on your breaks.Very scary at times. I contacted the dealer about the issue but they said it is not a recall for that.