Reviews for Geo Prizm years:

Geo Prizm Reviews and Owner Comments

Geo PrizmOwner Reviews (39 reviews)
    Visitor, Savannah, GA, November 26, 2014 14:42
    300,520 miles Iand counting. I swear to you I have never changed anything on this vehicle. Ok maybe; the clutch, timing belt, radiator and put new seals on the front and rear main but other than that nothing.Oh wait oil lots of oil. I bought this car in Detroit in 1991,it has proven to me. that Toyota rocks.
    Visitor, Nashville, TN, March 04, 2014 12:38
    I love my Prizm! Unfortunately, some Bozo hit me, and it has been declared a total loss, so it is going for scrap. So sad to see her go. She had over 230,000 miles on her and was in great shape. The exterior paint was just starting to fade in places. If you were to see it before the wreck, you'd think it was a new car. I babied it, and it deserved it. Also, I am a stickler for a good AC, and this one was excellent. Really hate to see her go!
    Visitor, Savannah, GA, November 04, 2012 11:06
    All I can say is that I have 271,000 miles on it. And, it is still in excellent driving condiditon. I count my blessings. The only things I have replaced: clutch about 250,000 miles; radiator - not sure of the mileage. Now, at 271,000 I have been told my starter need to be replaced. I anticipate going to a shop on 11/5/2012. I have two wishes - bring back the Geo (but a compact SUV or wagon) and stop this daylight saving time change. This flipping the clock back and forth is making me crazy.
    Visitor, Milwaukee, WI, October 26, 2012 13:38
    We bought our Geo Prizm at 22,000 miles and it now has 160,000 miles. Our car has been over the Rocky Mountains and back and over the Appalachians and back. It is a very great and sturdy car. We've had to replace the front strut and spring on the driver side, regular maintenance like brakes and oil changes and tune ups. The only major thing we've had to replace is recently our master cylinder went. Our mechanic is surprised our car is still up and running with all the abuse it's taken. Gods only know how many tires we've gone through and the hubcaps are long gone but who really NEEDS those. LOL A great and sturdy car. Love it and would buy one again in an instant.
    Visitor, Miami, FL, April 29, 2012 14:08
    super good i love it
    Visitor, Garysburg, NC, March 31, 2012 05:31
    my car shuts off when i put it in reverse or drive
    Visitor, Wetumpka, AL, March 26, 2012 08:15
    My mother bought this car in 1998 with less than 20,000 miles on it. I bought it from my mother for $2000 to give my daughter when whe turned 16, it had about 60,000 miles on it then. My daughter drove it until she got another car and I am still driving this car today with 230,000 miles on it. I have never had any Major work done to this car. I have kept the oil changed every 3-5 thousand miles and it has truly been the very best car I've ever owned. I wish they were still being made. the reliablity and fuel effeciancy make this car amazing. I wish they would bring it back, I would buy a new one in a heartbeat..
    Visitor, Calipatria, CA, February 12, 2012 18:36
    i have a 94 geo Prizm its an excellent car! it recently started doing this thing when i let go of the gas petal it pulls back like you can feel when i let go of the gas petal dramatically!! whats wrong? what can i do to fix it?
    Visitor, San Francisco, CA, January 02, 2012 19:34
    I have owned it since 2005. I love it so much.
    Visitor, Boulder, CO, November 25, 2011 11:58
    A relative gave me a 1991 Geo Prizm in Sep 2009. It sat in a garage for 2 years without moving. Replaced battery, oil, spark plugs, distributor cap & wiring harness, and filled it up with premium gas to mix with the aged gas. Has run smoothly ever since. I quickly found out that this was one of the most reliable cars ever made. After reading this and other forums, I'm excited to get this little car to 250k+ miles. Previous Repairs: At 50k I replaced the passenger side Transaxle and replaced tran fluid ($120). At 52k I flushed the coolant system ($20). At 55k miles I replaced all 4 tires ($275). At 60k I replaced the exhaust system ($300). At 65k I replaced the headliner (real easy to do yourself) ($40). At 68k I replaced the rear wheel cylinders ($220). Needed Repairs: Took it in for a 70k mile checkup and I need: to replaced the the timing belt, water pump & valve cover, and all other belts (AC, Serpentine, Alternator, Power steering, h2o pump) ($450 for all). All 4 struts are leaking and need replaced ($400+). Also need radiator and thermostat ($220). Rear drum brakes will need to be done Overall this has been a very affordable car. It seems that I've spent a lot on repairs, but it was all preventative maintenance, which is well worth it on a car that was free and has the potential to get 200k+ miles. Additionally, the parts are inexpensive and most repairs can be done by seasoned backyard mechanics (also cheap for mechanics to work on). I would recommend this car to anyone who could care less about the status their vehicle brings them. I feel bad for my coworkers and their BMWs & Audis ($1200 to replace timing belt vs $450 on Prizm). I only wish the motor had a little more oomph. I drive it into the Colorado Rockies and it certainly struggles up some of those mountain passes. It's fine if you can build up your momentum (or if its in the snow and everyone's slow) but if you're going around sharp turns the engine really slows and you'll be flooring it going about 40mph - which does not sound like the engine and transmission are having a fun time. I'm thinking after all the above repairs are taken care of, I'm going to put in a cold air intake, manual cooling fan switch and get rid of as much weight as possible (seats, excessive trim) to increase performance and efficiency. I'm also planning to remove all the interior trim and insulate it for a much quieter ride (did that between the roof and the headliner and you can really tell the difference). Be smart. Drive Geo.
    Visitor, Vancouver, WA, October 26, 2011 17:58
    I have only had this car for less than 2 years. I bought it with 137000 miles on it, and in the year and a half I have owned it, added 50,000 miles. The only real flaws I have noticed with it is that the AC doesn't cool down the car at all. It only cools down the person sitting right in front of it. My little prizm finally broke down a few weeks ago because of the master cylinder. I fixed it for a price of 380 dollars. It drove okay for a few weeks, and now the clutch is gone. The car did me well for a first car to get me back and forth and have some fun. I love the compactness of the car, makes it so easy for me to parallel parking.
    XARHS, Katy, TX, October 16, 2011 18:26
    250000 MILES GREAT CAR I DID ONLY MINOR REPAIRS IM PROUD ABOUT MY GEO PRIZM I WILL WRITE AGAIN WHEN IT WILL GO 300000
    Visitor, Coalinga, CA, October 01, 2011 14:47
    THESE CARS WERE BUILT TO LAST ONLY IF YOU REALLY DO TAKE CARE OF THEM. THIS GEO HAS 175000 ON THE ENGINE. TIMING BELT CHANGED ONCE. OIL CHANGES EVERY 3500-4000 MILES ALONG WITH THE FILTER. 27 MPG. IF I COULD BUY A NEW GEO RIGHT OFF THE SHOW FLOOR, I'D BUY TWO. GOOD COMMUTING CAR AND VERY RELIABLE OF COURSE NOTHING LASTS FOREVER NOT EVEN HUMAMS. JR
  • 1993 Geo Prizm
    Visitor, Dallas, TX, August 25, 2011 17:22
    I have a 1993 geo prism lsi-ordered thru dealership to factory, took 7 wks to deliver. 18 1/2 yrs old. 170,000 miles. I had 3 free strut pairs,3 alternators, one free engine mount.on 3d starter, by getting limited lifetime warr from oreil and autoz. on my 5th battery. interior like new. 5sp manual smooth-never had work done on clutch. I have never put a drop of oil in my engine between changes, have changed at 3,000miles from day one-now every 2500. replaced air compressor-live in tx-change. just had 3rd timing belt and tensioner replaced.had new water pump installed this time. I get 34 mpg on highway fully loaded down when trav to Pa.ethenol has hurt milage. love my little sweetheart to death-never tired of my car or wanted to sell it. daniel
    Visitor, Woonsocket, RI, August 19, 2011 09:31
    i have a 1996 geo prizm lsi 1.6 liter bought the car in 97 with 18.000 miles on it best car i hve ever had drove it from boulder to providence RI and back twice this car never misses a beat.keep the oil changed and all the other little details the car will run for ever just turned 166990 miles only thing replaced starter/timing belt/water pump and it was only a maintance thing on my part nothing broke just did it for my pice of mind
    Visitor, Virginia, MN, July 23, 2011 14:26
    96 Prizm 334,000 miles! 36mpg, burns a little oil, power steering now leaks, seat belts sometimes don't reel out freely, no power options, door locks don't work in the winter ... look past these minor things and all is well. Today, motor mount gave way dropping engine onto transmission - can't shift at all. Have we come to the end of the road ??? I sincerely hope not, as this little car really rocks!
    Visitor, Castroville, TX, June 29, 2011 01:44
    We've had this 1996 Geo Prizm Lsi for about four years now. It currently has approximately 145k miles. I love this car and it has been a real champ! Still gets 26-30mpg and the air blows cold... I mean the kind of cold where it's 104 outside and you need to turn down (or is it up?) the a/c cause your too cold! I abuse (it is a truck as well, didn't you know?) this poor thing and it just keeps on tick'n.
    Visitor, Lexington, KY, April 11, 2011 06:37
    I purchased my base Geo Prizm as a two year old used car with about 55,000 miles on it. It now has 255,000 on it and is still all original major components except for an alternator and power steering hose. We have done the usual with timing belts, struts etc. those things that you expect to wear out or a normal maintence items. It does use about a quart of oil between 3000 mile oil changes but still gets 35 miles to the gallon or better in the road in summer months and only slightly less in winter. It has been the most incredibly durable car we've ever owned.
    Visitor, Greenlawn, NY, February 23, 2011 16:00
    I have approx. 159K miles on my little Geo. I bought it at 111K and I absolutely love this car! I have had only basic repair stuff to do, e.g. brakes, struts, and replaced the driver's seatbelt. The interior light has a loose connection, but it works if I don't keep trying to turn it on and off -- just allow an open door to turn it on.
    Visitor, Tamaqua, PA, February 15, 2011 12:24
    I have a 96 Geo Prizm that I got after it was terribly abused by the previous owners. It had 208,000 on it when I bought it 12/2010, and now has 220,000 miles. Even abused, this car has never left me stranded! I have recently put a lot of "preventative" parts into it (timing belt, serpentine belt, v-belt, water pump, radiator, struts all the way around). It is not the prettiest car I've seen, but i would trust it with my life (I have 5 children and wouldn't hesitate taking them on a long trip in this car). The EGR valve was blocked but found it easy to clean! Over all GREAT car, that my 15 yr old will start driving next year!!! :)
    Visitor, Gurnee, IL, February 14, 2011 13:36
    THE BEAST - The Geo Prizm (Toyota Corolla) has to be one of the best economy vehicles ever manufactured. If you have a long commute w/ highway miles this is the perfect car. I bought mine in December 2008 w/ 113,000 miles and I have as of Feb 2011 185,000 miles. Two years laters 72,000 miles this vehicles has never failed me. The maintenance is so simple, parts are cheap, and it will last forever. I change my oil every 2,000 - 2,5000 miles, use high quality parts (NGK plugs and wires) and I change all my major fluids every 30,000 miles (transmission fluid). Stick shift is alot of fun and I have had this car up to 95mph w/o any issues.
    Visitor, Chapel Hill, NC, December 06, 2010 14:19
    1991 Geo Prizm. Have 239,000 miles and still going strong. Does not burn a drop of oil. Had the transmission replaced at around 100,000 when the after drive ran dry (most auto dealers do not check this for fluid, one even told me it didn't have an afterdrive!)Has had new timing belt and numerous starters etc. But this car is incredibly reliable. I keep putting new tires on it thinking it is the last pair. The only nagging problem it has: when it gets cold it won't crank, you have to hold the key on start for up to a minute to get it to crank.
    anoymous, Denver, CO, October 02, 2010 09:09
    I love this car (1994). I have 100000 miles on it. Replaced battery, alternator and starter, but it has never left me stranded. Best car I ever owned.
    Visitor, Duluth, MN, September 14, 2010 09:31
    I really like this car. It is my first manual transmission also and I am really putting my skills to the test living in a town that is just a big hill. It doesn't help that my parking break doesn't work anymore either. But it definetly a good car to get for a teen. I have 182,000 miles on this bad boy right now and the first time it gave me a problem was when a belt broke, or got chewed apart by the dang squirrels.
    Visitor, Alum Creek, WV, July 30, 2010 12:21
    Love, love, love this car. It might not be the most glamorous car.but it has never left me stranded on the side of the road and I have had it for almost ten years. It has 216K miles and all it has needed besides maintenance is front wheel bearings and a clutch. Amazing car! The only downside is the dark green ones seem to fad in the sun.
    Visitor, Martins Ferry, OH, July 13, 2010 17:29
    My '95 Geo Prizm has about 88,000 miles and still going great. I bought it at around 55,000 miles a few years ago. Regular oil changes, replacement of battery and alternator, plus tires of course, and so far no major problems. Best car I ever owned. Why, oh, why did Geo/Chevrolet ever stop making this model? They're crazy! But I'm happy.
    Visitor, Circle Pines, MN, June 10, 2010 10:26
    I have 197,000 miles on it and now it will not start anymore. So much as to say if you do buy one make sure it does not have a lot of miles on it or you will be putting in a lot of money to keep it running. It rusted out fast that is why I gave it one star. I bought mine at 64,000 and it run well until it got over 100,000 then little things started happening. The big thing is though it reached 197,000 and all of a sudden it would not start and put in over $600 to get it running again and now it will not yet start on cool mornings and also will not start when it rains withing 36 hours. So no idea of what it could be and can not find a way of checking the codes for it(it is too old for the auto mechanics in my area because of the old way of checking the codes. Now I wish I did not get this car or should of gotten rid of it before the trouble started because I'm afraid it is going to cost more than it is worth.
    Visitor, Manchester, CT, March 30, 2010 14:48
    300,000 miles on my 1995 Prism! I replaced the front exhaust pipe when the car had 295,000 miles. The clutch was replaced with 275,000 miles. The mechanic couldn’t believe it. I don’t know how many tires and break jobs I have gone threw, but that has nothing to do with the quality of the car. The harmonic pulley on the front of the engine split in half the day after it hit 300,000, so the belts and pulley were replaced. The suspension is really feeling the ware and needs to be fixed if I decide to keep driving it. When the weather gets real cold and you hit a bump it’s like the frame is going to cave in. I not sure what there called but they look like heavy duty shocks connected to the frame. Someone told me the gas in them probably has leaked out. Anyway, the interior is in pretty good shape, all dash instruments, lights, knobs and radio/tape deck work fine. There is no power anything in the car and the A/C still works fine. The only consistence maintenance has been oil changes. The hub caps started falling off when the car had around 80- 90,000 miles. I never did replace them and wax , forget it. I guess that’s about it.
    Phanatic, Philadelphia, PA, March 13, 2010 09:24
    Overall, a solid car. With proper maintenance these have been known to push over 300,000 miles. I've witnessed it. Unfortunately, mine was not in 100% condition when I got it. But to date, the only serious work I have needed done is a fuel pump and filter replacement(at 153,000)
    JessSTL, Saint Louis, MO, March 03, 2010 23:34
    I have a 1994 Geo Prizm LSI. I've had it for two years now, I purchased it used from a used car lot. I have regular maintanence done on the car as often as it needs it. Other than that I have not had any major repairs except for the back brakes when I first got the car. The brakes are okay but I have noticed I have to replace the front brakes and rotors once every year. The interior is still in like new condition, although I hate where the cup holder is located. My air conditioner blows out air but the air is not cold, I haven't bothered to get it checked out yet because it's not too big of a deal for me. I have had problems with my power windows since I got the car. Front passenger side window has never rolled down, back windows are starting to squeak when I roll them down, driver side window stopped working, got it replaced and now it's acting up again. My car only has 118,000 miles on it. It's been a great, little running car up until a few days ago. I did a basic tune up on it and put in a new battery and now my car starts, drive it around for 10-15 mins and then it abruptly dies out but after it dies it'll start right back up. I suspect it may be my ignition coil but every shop tells me they don't know what's wrong with it. I am thinking about taking it to the dealership or just letting it sit and getting another car and when I have more money to blow, then get it fixed. I'm not giving up on it though because it's been so good to me and don't want to ever see it go. I will defenitely cry the day I have to say good bye to this car. It's been very reliable and even though I am just now having a problem, I have had great experience with it for two years now with absolutely no problems at all so I would still recommend this car to anyone thinking about getting one.
    APrizmDriver, Saint Paul, MN, January 27, 2010 08:16
    My 1996 Geo Prizm has 135,000 miles on it and gets about 36 mpg. Factory-installed brakes lasted until 105,000! 120,000 miles: Replaced starter motor. 120,000 miles: Creak somewhere in front driver's side disappeared after shop inspected and repacked axle bearings (although none were replaced). Rear driver's side auto lock sticks and CD player finally started skipping at 130,000. Interior fabric and plastic in good but typical shape for a 14 yr-old vehicle. No other mechanical issues or repairs. An excellent car with great gas mileage in this era of SUV guzzlers.
    cajun57, Morganton, NC, November 09, 2009 05:57
    I have over 266,000 miles on this car. Very good car. Gets about 38 MPG. Will probably fix the car if it breaks since can't afford to buy another used car right now. Has manual transmission, no AC, heater takes awhile to heat up inside of car. Driver side front window doesn't work properly and probably can't be fixed since part needed now is obsolete but overall a GREAT car. So far, gets me from point A to point B.
    jcwillia, Schererville, IN, October 12, 2009 14:15
    toe arm broke on rear axle at 97,500 struts replaced at 117,500 harmonic balancer broke at 117,700 - should have totalled the car if I hadn't pulled over immediately has been a good car but those were NOT cheap repairs
    tcoxboy, Loris, SC, August 21, 2009 05:54
    not a great car i got rid of mine for a mercury topaz
    Postal47, Mankato, MN, April 19, 2009 15:09
    126,000 miles with $0 spent on repairs other than normal maintenance items. The car still has no squeaks or rattles inside and no road feel unlike many other cars I've owned that are much larger such as a 1996 Olds Cutlass and 1999 Nissan Altima I owned. Another example of a GREAT buy for anyone wanting to save alot of money. This car will still feel and run like a two year car even when it has 200,000 plus miles.
    John B, Paulsboro, NJ, March 01, 2009 13:32
    I am going on 194000 miles. Great fuel economy around 42 mpg hwy and 35 city. The windows are tight when in use. The water pump just went last week and it is housed in with the timing belt. Independant garage charged $550.00 to fix, but very trustworthy shop. Other than that, since new just basic repairs like brakes, tires, and exaust pipe and catalytic converter. Still runs great and great suspension.
    Markthegrea, Tremont, IL, November 15, 2008 13:37
    This has been an excellent car. I bought it at 130,000 miles and it now has 210,000. Only front wheel bearings have gone bad. The interior is much better than the new ones.
    Fenwick, Boones Mill, VA, September 19, 2008 13:13
    Love this car. It's our 2nd Prizm. I drive the 2001. They both get great gas mileage. The interior of this car was initially made much better than my 2001.
    gcwright, Oakland, CA, August 27, 2008 23:00
    This is an excellent car. Apart from typical issues with the interior plastic slowly falling apart, I have had no problems up to 130,000 miles. No mechanical issues whatsoever.