Oldsmobile Q&A

1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera Question: fuel system problem

jakelowe_05, 3.1L V6, New Richmond, WI, August 16, 2009, 20:41

I have a 1994 oldsmobile cutlass ciera that will not start. it cranks over fine. I have spark. I changed the fuel pump, the fuel pump relay, the fuel filter, the ecm, and the mass air flow sensor. the car still will not start. I cannot hear the fuel pump kick in when i turn the key forward. I checked all the wires. If I jump the fuel pump I get fuel pressure up to the fuel rail, and if I try to start the car while the pump is being jumped the car will still not start. What else could be my problem? I am really stumped on this one.

ProChevy August 17, 2009, 11:00
     Journeyman

I know you say you have fuel up to the rail, but what kind of pressure do you have? Are you getting fire to the plugs? These cars also had alot of failures from the crank sensors.

jakelowe_05, August 17, 2009, 17:41

I have 40 psi of fuel pressure up to the rail when i jump the pump but it doesn't turn on when I turn the key. This means that the injectors also aren't injecting the fuel. I am trying to figure out what circuit would control both the fuel pump and the fuel injectors. I have good spark.

ProChevy, August 18, 2009, 11:23
     Journeyman

Circuit #239 which is a pink wire and fused on fuse #1-15 amp is ignition feed to the coils.
    Circuit #839 also pink fused off of fuse# 16 20 amp that comes from the ignition switch is the one to fuel pump relay,fuel pump amd oil pressure switch, and it feeds the injectors also. Hope this helps you some

Visitor, June 14, 2010, 12:35

Jakelowe, Given this was last year but what was the problem in the end and how was the problem fixed?

Visitor, March 09, 2010, 05:40

if that dont work chang the computer i did my car had the same problems now its like new everyone should try this. and gas gauges that dont work check ground wire to fuel pump this could mostly be the problem i know about cars.

Visitor, March 23, 2010, 09:37

this sounds like a fuel delivery problem,you can varify this by using gumout spray into the open air system spray some directly into the intake throttle opening.If it starts and runs,for a short while.It must be fuel starved.There may be a compression problem from gasoline washed doun cylinders or fould plugs from excess fuel being injected and not fired by the plugs.This may be the problem if the engine seems to crank a bit faster than normal.

Visitor, March 08, 2011, 14:00