fuel pump problems on 2000 Ford E-250

2000 for E 250 van wouldn't start after 30 minutes or so it started did that several time over a few month. Then one day it wouldn't start at all. shop said it was a fuel pump replaced it was fine for a couple weeks then started all over again took it back in they replaced the pump again. fine for a few days then did it again. I notice prior to not starting it seems to run bad, shudders or misses at certain speeds like a fouled plug then sometime the next time I try to start it or several starts later it won't start. I notice when it dosen't start I don't hear the fuel pump humming when i turn on the ignition. then I'll try it several times then it humms again and it starts.

by in San Pedro, CA on March 23, 2011
1 answer 2 comments
ANSWER by on March 23, 2011
I bet there is debris in the tank that is causing the pump to fail. Ask the shop if they flushed the tank. Roy
COMMENT by on March 23, 2011
I'll bet they didn't. But that wouldn't make the pump not hum.
COMMENT by on March 23, 2011
when it hums, it is working. when the dirt gets in the pump, it seizes and will not run, thus no humming. Roy
Just bought it. Has been sitting for about 4 years,owner had replaced Push rods,fuel filter.. Van was completely out of gas.bone dry. Could it be injecters clogged? What's easiest way to clean them...
I took off belt and everything turned freely except the air pump pulley. Van restarted w/o belt but then battery died because the alternator wasn't being turned and electric fuel pump was failing a...
A defective thick film ignition (TFI) module can cause the engine to stall while driving, or the engine may not start. A failed TFI module will require replacement.
So my van was running, but real bad i checked spark plugs the gap was off alot i got new spark plugs and gapped them properly now my van wont start ?