Chrysler Q&A

2000 Chrysler Town & Country Question: Fuel pump problem

Hopman, Vista, CA, October 24, 2009, 09:03

Sometimes my fuel pump turns on and sometimes it doesn't. I have already tried changing the relay to no avail. The dealer was kind enough to charge me $70 to tell me there is no fuel pressure ( rocket science ? ). Any ideas???

• Medium-star Best Answer
    patrick mannion from Greg Solow's Engine Room, October 24, 2009, 09:32

There are several engine and body options but I would if possible "tee-in " a fuel pressure gauge (I forget Chrysler may have a Schroeder valve in the fuel rail that a gauge screws straight on to) and tape a fuel pressure gauge to the windscreen and drive the vehicle, noting fuel pressure and if it fluctuates, and when the engine stalls does the fuel pressure disappear. Fuel pump relay is next to the battery, third relay down, to verify you have the right relay pull out the 5th relay down the horn should fail to work, label on underside of relay box cover identifies relays. The wires at the relay are standard relay numbering, pin 30 is Battery +, pin 85 is relay ground control from the powertrain computer, pin 86 is fused ignition power ignition switch in run or cranking position, pin 86 is power sent to fuel pump. With the vehicle safely supported get a friend to crank the ignition switch to start see if the fuel pump is receiving power if so with your friend still cranking the engine firmly hit the fuel tank with your fist and see if the pump starts to run. I have put many fuel pumps in these.

Hopman, October 24, 2009, 10:10

Thank you. I can get the pump to start after whacking the gas tank. I will now replace the fuel pump, thanx again. 11-3-09 I replaced the fuel pump and filter. No more problem. Easiest car repair job I have done in years. Thank You.
    Hopman

February 29, 2012, 17:32

I WOULD CHECK THE CONNECTION AT THE TANK FOR A GOOD GROUND AND ALSO THE PLUG OUTSIDE THE TANK FOR POWER THERE COULD BE A BREAK IN THE WIRING FROM THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT TO THE TANK CONNECTOR ? LIKE THE OTHER GUY SAID MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT RELAY ITS ON THE BACK OF THE COVER THE LOCATIONS OF THE RELAYS AND IF YOU HAVE RUN THE CAR OUT OF GAS SEVERAL TIMES IT COULD OF OVERHEATED THE PUMP AND ITS FAILING INTERMITTENTLY TRY BANGING ON THE LOWER PART OF THE TANK WITH A RUBBER HAMMER LAST RESORT IF IT STARTS THE PUMP IS FAILING ? GOOD LUCK GOODWRENCH MR