can you change the fuel pump by removing the back seat or do i have to remove the tank?
Oldsmobile Q&AAsk Your Question
2003 Oldsmobile Alero Question: fuel pump
Bret Bodas October 07, 2009, 15:25Master
Here are the instructions and the answer to your question!
Removal & Installation
The fuel pump is located in the fuel tank. The fuel tank must be removed from the vehicle in order to access the pump.
1. Properly relieve fuel system pressure.
2. If not already done, disconnect the negative battery cable.
3. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
4. Safely drain and remove the fuel tank assembly, as outlined later in this section.
5. If necessary, detach the quick-connect fittings from the fuel sender assembly and remove the fuel lines.
6. Remove the fuel gauge sender and pump assembly by turning the cam locking ring counterclockwise. It may be necessary to use a spanner wrench, such as tool J-24187, to perform this.
7. Carefully lift the assembly from the fuel tank, then remove the fuel pump from the fuel gauge sender unit.
8. Remove the sender O-ring from the top of the sender and discard.
9. Disconnect the pump wires, hose clamps and the clamp from around the pump body.
10. Pull the pump assembly out of the rubber connectors.
11. Inspect the fuel pump attaching hose for any signs of deterioration, and replace as necessary.
Answer #2Visitor, December 09, 2010, 18:47
i had the same problem. u have to remove the fuel tank.