Hyundai Q&A

2004 Hyundai Santa Fe Question: Fuel Filter problem?

prayerwarrior, 6 Cylinder, Tucson, AZ, January 08, 2010, 13:23

My Santa Fe has 67,000 miles and now occasionally hesitates on acceleration. Probably the fuel filter? After reading some of the info on this site I'm confused. You say it should be changed every 30,000 miles? Owner's manual states "52,500-84,000" miles. (Don't think it's ever been changed on this car.) Also, is the filter in the engine compartment or fuel tank? I have another problem! We're in Sonora, Mexico until April. Where will I get a trained Hyundai mechanic to do this? Thank you.

1 Answer

Bret Bodas from RepairPal Test Shop, January 08, 2010, 16:40

Replacing at around 60,000 miles isn't a bad idea, however I don't think this is going to address your hesitation problem, unless you use low quality fuel, then maybe. It's not a bad idea to replace it, however I would get the problem diagnosed first.
    I checked and Hyundai has a technical service bulletin (TSB) that may be related. What I would do is have the diagnostic trouble codes checked, and have them addressed if there area any. Then make sure the software in the engine control module is up to date per the TSB #04-36-017
    TSB Information:
    DESCRIPTION:
    Some 2003-2004 SANTA FE(SM) 2.7L vehicles may experience intermittent hesitation while driving.
    The bulletin provides a procedure for updating the ECM (Engine Control Module)
    software with new logic to improve the above condition by using the Hi-Scan Pro.

Repair shops in your area: http://repairpal.com/tucson-auto-repair