The front thrust rod bushings—also referred to as tension strut bushings—are known to fail occasionally. The oil-filled rubber mounts weaken and crack over time, causing a mushy road feel and shuddering in the steering wheel when going over bumps.
Mushy Road Feel and/or Shuddering in the Steering Over Bumbs on BMW 540i
2 people reported this problem
Get Your Car Fixed at a RepairPal Certified Shop.
We certify shops based on expertise, quality work, and verified customer reviews
Verified for the BMW 540i10 reports
1 answerMarch 22, 2015
0 answersJuly 04, 2011
Verified for the BMW 540i9 reports
2 answersApril 22, 2010
Most Recent BMW 540i Problems
- Front Tension Strut Bushings May Fail
- Alignment/Tire Wear Issues Due to Excessive Play in Rear Lower Ball Joints
- Valve Cover, Intake Manifold, PCV Plate Oil Leaks
- Blower Final Stage Fan Resistor May Fail
- Multiple Parts May be Recommended For Leaks in Cooling System
- Multiple Power Steering Hoses May Simultaneously Fail
- Front Thrust Rod Bushings May Fail
- Vibration Evident in Drive Train
- Noise From Top of Front/Rear Doors When Windows Are Fully Up
- Cars passanger floor gets very wet when raining or going through the car wash.