front end problems on 2002 Mercury Mountaineer

my mountaineer comes to an almost complete stop when turning sharp in either direction. It is an AWD and i was told could be CV axles but they were new last year. noticed that one on pass. side is leaking

by in Hornell, NY on April 29, 2013
2 answers 2 comments
ANSWER by on April 29, 2013
Is this full time awd? Common for a 4x4 to feel like that when in full turn on dry pavement with awd active. Do you have an auto 4x4 position?
COMMENT by on April 30, 2013
I don't think that even if you have all wheel drive auto it should do that so I would check drive axles first
COMMENT by on April 30, 2013
That is my point, it is in four wheel drive!! Trasnfer case malfunction. Have you ever driven a 4x4 with 4wd active on dry pavement and turned the steering wheel full stop while moving? That is what they all do, act like it is going to just stop. 4x4 Auto inop. Mechanic can scan test, best way to figure this out!!
ANSWER by on April 30, 2013
When I drive I get a front end noise, like a loud hum. However if I turn to the right the noise will stop.
When I try to park turning right at slow speed..there is a bit of shaking at the front end and it feels like the wheels are skipping. Or if I am driving I could hear the wheels skreeching a bit mos...
Grinding south when making right or left turns.
At certain points in turning the front wheels a vibration occurs. This happens when I back up and turning the front wheels( such as pulling out of a driveway. the vibration is starting to occur all...