Toyota Q&A

2003 Toyota 4Runner Question: front brake problems

lovedmy86pickup, 4.0L V6, Bellingham, MA, April 22, 2011, 10:32

Back when my 4R had 88K miles, the brakes didn't feel right, I brought in, dealer said "oh they got at 80K miles" i said "no,not me-there is something wrong w/ the 4R"... ya see EVERY car/truck i've owned i get over 120K on my brakes.. I don't use them- my gas pedal is my first brake pedal - i've been driving 30yrs.. anyways.. they found that it wasn't me -the calipers were frozen. luckily it was still under warranty. So...now 40K miles later, and they're tellin me that my front brakes need replacing. Now they're saying "they go at 40K" OH REALLY? has totoya quality really gone down that much?!?.. so I explain to them that I don't use my brakes. they won't listen. I'm not questioning the need, I'm questioning the reason. If I habitually get over 120K per brakes - don't you think they should be looking at something other than the pads? like calipers? or computer? I had a vehicle in the past that the computer wasn't releasing the brakes all the way -that was at 45K, replaced and when i sold that car w/ 175Kmiles-the brakes were still in good shape. why oh why won't they listen? so my question...this is twice now this 4R has had problems w/ the front brakes... anyone else out there have this problem??

1 Answer

overbys from Overbys Inc, April 22, 2011, 11:04

find a good local Japanese specialty shop and get a second opinion. there is no answer to your problem, because every
    driver brakes differently and the brakes wear out at different rates. simply stated, you need brakes when they wear out. you either replace them or don't.