Reviews for Ford Taurus years:

Ford Taurus Reviews and Owner Comments

Ford TaurusOwner Reviews (168 reviews)
    damyankee, Birmingham, AL, September 18, 2014 02:47
    Have had great luck with my 2003 Taurus SES ohv 6 cylinder. Have had very few problems, except car at apx. 60,000 miles started sputtering when hot and at red lights, felt like bad gas or a misfire problem. For two years I had it tested for every thing one could be tested for for. Replaced plugs the s p wires, several sensors, ford up dated the computer, complete waste of time. Finally a diagnostic man replaced the " HOT AIR SENSOR, to the left of air filter. Engine light went off and engine is 100% better 3 + weeks ago. Had replaced H A S several months before, didn't help first time , maybe part was defective. Car has 75,000 now. spent apx. 1500 to 2000 trying to fix. but OK now.
    Visitor, Detroit, MI, August 21, 2014 22:18
    bought car in 2010 had brakes replaced at dealership still didnt work right untill i had them changed at Belle Tire now they work fine
    Visitor, Lamar, CO, July 11, 2014 18:36
    I HAVE A 2008 FORD TAURUS WITH LESS THAN 22000 MILES ON IT. THE AIR CONDITIONER WORKS ON THE DRIVERS SIDE, VERY HOT HEAT COMES OUT OF THE VENTS ON THE PASSENGER SIDE. PAULS REPAIR HAS ORDERED A PART WELL OVER A MONTH AGO. HE WAS TOLD THE PART WOULD BE SENT AS SOON AS THERE WAS ONE MADE. DOES THIS HAPPEN OFTEN? IT WAS 104 HERE IN EASTERN COLORADO TODAY. I AM IN BAD NEED OF THE AIR CONDITIONER. COULD I PLEASE GET SOME INFORMATION ON MY PROBLEM. 34 PASEO PLACE, LAMAR COLO. 81052
  • 2014 Ford Taurus
    Visitor, Saint Louis, MO, April 29, 2014 16:02
    Nothing bad at this point we love this Taurus SEL
  • 2013 Ford Taurus
    Visitor, Poughkeepsie, NY, April 25, 2014 19:27
    Why is Ford just coming around with projector Hologen lights,when my 06 Mercury had OEM HID'S? The Safety Dept. for the government is even after Ford to brighten there lights. We are now using LED Headlights Ford. Here is the good one, the sales person tells you the sound system is a surround sound? This has to be the worse system I ever heard. There is background noise and flutter on the SYNC system, and the cheap Chinese speakers are as flat as a girl I knew in second grade. Oh; I see spend $50K for the SHO that says it has a so called Sony. More then likely it's a bottom line, just like all parts companies use. I just spent $1600 to replace 4- 6x9" Hybrid Audio Image speakers along with JL 400 amp. to breathe some life into the garbage sold to me. (by the way I still have the fluter and noise and want Ford to correct this mishap. If I could take back time I would take my 2006 Mercury Montego any day! ps. Also the layout is redundant.They have 4 ways to do the same function. Example: heat, on dash board, on the 7" sync screen, on the wheel, and last by voice. Ford has a better idea.
    Visitor, Lynn Haven, FL, April 06, 2014 12:08
    My headlights are staying on with car off and switch off on my 98 ford Taurus. Checked fuses all is fine...replaced light switch checked ground wires that I could see any other suggestion.Do not know what else to look for that could cause this
    Visitor, Buffalo, NY, March 31, 2014 16:19
    I have a 2008 Taurus Limited with a bit over 48,000 miles. When I turn the ignition key to "on" just short of start, I hear what sounds like a belt, or something rotating, hitting the metal or plastic part of the car where the passenger foot/knee heat vent(under the glove box) area is. After 10 seconds or there abouts, it stops. Today it made the same slapping like noise when I started the engine, and lasted for 8 seconds before it stopped? My son has a 2008 that does the same thing, but when the engine is running. Any idea what that noise is? I can be reached at bufbuck@yahoo.com. Thank you.
    Visitor, Greenville, NC, March 28, 2014 11:51
    belt broke & caused engine to turn-over but won't start, replaced serpentine belt & found crank sensor wires touching. could the wires touching together be a problem or the cam sensor. reply
    Visitor, Wheeling, WV, March 23, 2014 15:18
    my 94 ford taurus uses alot of gas,changed the plugs,still no help.could there b a bad sensor
    Visitor, Springfield, OR, February 03, 2014 08:50
    I have (2) 2004 Ford Taurus and they both have issues with water getting in the trunk am I the only one with this problem? What could be the problem? 1 of them has a hesitation.
    Visitor, Dalton, OH, January 25, 2014 05:35
    I bought my 01 Taurus SES in June of 2011 with 100400 mls on it, ran into the master cylinder needing replaced at 107k, replaced a few common suspension parts and allegedly my alternator went out while in the shop for the master cylinder ... After that no problems except the common oil pan leak around 115k. I'm at 127,500 now and there's another leak that the engine has to be pulled to get to, but it isn't an immediate problem. I'll get it fixed because this car has been great for me, its almost been 3 years and I've only paid 2000 in minor repairs. Love my car! Will buy another DOHC Taurus. Only complaint is the integrated control panel, think the aftermarket radio kit is just terrible lol.
    Visitor, Port Orange, FL, January 15, 2014 16:06
    My 1998 Ford Taurus is a hunk of s**t. I got it from my grandfather in January 2013, and he never drove it. I am always commuting back and forth from school and work. The lines on my tranny came loose and leaked out all of the fluid I had. I got the leak fixed just in time. After that, my power steering belt had worn down the entire side of the pully, which I had to replace. After that, all of my brake fluid leaked out, and my brakes stopped working. My car shakes when I'm on the highway, my engine sputters, the heating core doesn't function...now, my shift cable broke and my gear shift won't shift into drive. The brand new serpentine belt I put on last summer is shredded and hanging by small strings. My computer system is also jacked up. It has convinced itself that my doors are open when they are not, so I had to disconnect my overhead light to avoid my battery dying. When I put my key in my door as opposed to using the key fob, my hazards turn on and continue to stay on until I turn the engine off or use the key fob. But the key fob sometimes chooses not to work (with new batteries.) Also, the alarm doesn't go off when you hit the panic button, nor does the beep when you press lock a second time. The motor that moves the seats go on and off at any point in time. On occasion, my blinkers turn on without me hitting the shift. I will NEVER buy a Ford.
    Visitor, Laurel, MD, August 14, 2013 14:24
    My 98 Taurus Wagon SE is also still on the road with 181,000 miles and a survivor of two rear end collisions (pesky tailgaters!). The 2nd one resulted in a 1/2 inch frame compression that took three days on a rack to straighten out. Main complaint: brakes. Yes this car saw lots of city and commuter driving; So 11 major brake jobs over 13 years (last one was in 2011) is to be expected (but, by comparison, my 2004 Crown Vic has 261K on it and I'm only on the 3rd set so far in 10 years). Only other real failure was a fuel pump at 100K. Everything else is still original on it!
    Visitor, Saint Paul, MN, August 08, 2013 20:12
    my 1991 ford tauras station wagen what a sweet hart of a car 22 years old get in the car say lets go go we go
    ancientboardsailor, Bradenton, FL, August 01, 2013 14:37
    I bought our 1998 Taurus SE wagon in Maryland when it was about 2 years old and had about 50,000 miles on it. (It was a salesman's car.) It now has 180,000 miles on it. It runs great and looks good. It has been very dependable and economical. I did brake work (which is to be expected) and some minor repairs, but had no engine, transmission, A/C, or radiator problems. Eight years ago it made six (1,000-miles each way) round trips loaded to the roof rack and pulling a heavy trailor to move us to Florida and got about 27 mpg in the process. This puppy saved us a bundle.
    Visitor, College Park, MD, June 01, 2013 16:22
    i hate this car. Just got it in November 2012 and it need a catalytic converter.
    Visitor, Big Spring, TX, May 18, 2013 13:31
    Engine has hesitation I changed front 3 plugs-wires and hesitation is worse. I am afraid the engine has jumped time.
    Visitor, Minneapolis, MN, May 06, 2013 13:58
    I bought a 2002 Ford Taurus 3.0L 24v DOHC with 58,000 miles on it. Currently, it has 85,000 miles on it and we have put in over $4000 in repairs in the last 20 months. First, the rotors went bad and had to be replaced - found out that this is a common problem in a Taurus. Second, the ignition coil had to be replaced - another common repair on the taurus. Now, the air compressor has gone out (yet another common Taurus repair) and, because of the way the vehicle is engineered, repairing this will cost over $1200 (they would have to pull the engine). I have opted to do this repair myself with a bypass pulley kit ($40 at autozone and elbow grease). Now I have taken out the compressor and installed the pulley, but the way the car was engineered makes putting a serpentine belt back on almost impossible - even with a serpentine tool I bought from autozone. The space between the tensioner and the metal is literally 1" and no tool I have found can access it! Now I am having to pay someone to put the belt back on. Despite the low mileage, this has been the most frustrating car I have ever owned. I would recommend that anyone who is thinking about buying one think long and hard about the $$$ you will have to eventually spend on repairs.
    Visitor, Olive Branch, MS, April 30, 2013 12:15
    I PURCHASED A 2007 FORD TAURUS SE ABOUT 3 YRS. AGO I HAVE PROBLEMS WITH RIGHT PASSENGER BRAKES SCRUBBING,TAKE IT IN THEY ALWAYS SAY IT THE METALLIC PADS AND PADS ARE GOOD AND THAT HUMIDITY AND WEATHER COULD ADD TO THE PROBLEM,STILL HAVE THE PROBLEM.NOW HEADLIGHTS ARE ON BRIGHT ONLY CAN NOT DIM THEM.ALSO EXHAUST PIPE JUST FELL OUT OF THE HEADER PIPE DRIVING DOWN THE STREET,I HAVE SEEN SEVERAL COMPLAINTS ON THIS.I HAVE EXTENDED WARRANTY,HAVING CAR TOWED IN FRIDAY TO DEALER I PURCHASED IT FROM AND WE WILL SEE WHAT THEY SAY,CAR UNDER 1000,000 MILES,I BELIEVE FORD MAY HAVE PURCHASED A FLEET OF CARS FROM SOMEONE THAT SOUNDS LIKE CARMAX THEY MAY HAVE BEEN IN A FLOODING SOME WHERE IN THE USA..FOR DID NOT NOT GET A BAILOUT,BUT THEY STILL NEED TO MAKE A BETTER QUALITY VEHICLE IF THEY WANT FORD CUSTOMERS TO KEEP COMING AND STAY AWAY FROM JUNK USED CARS WITH HIDDEN PROBLEMS....MY IS JERRY BUTLER,IF I DO NOT GET 100% SATISFACTION FORM DEALER I WILL CALL FORD CREDIT AND LET THEM KNOW WHERE IT IS PARKED
  • 2012 Ford Taurus
    Visitor, Clinton, MS, April 28, 2013 19:47
    Some of the time the spring loaded flapper inside the gas line will not open when I press the gas nozzle against it. I have to put my fingers down the line and push on both sides to get the flapper to open then I must try to ram the gas nozzle between my fingers before the flap closes.
    Visitor, Phoenix, AZ, April 17, 2013 09:55
    i bought a 2007 taurus se in 2007; it is now 4/2013, this car has 49,000 actual miles on it (i work from home hardly ever drive it anywhere). so far i have had to replace the fuel pump, and now the transmission pan & gasket, the flap for the heat/air cond is stuck on a/c in the winter and stuck on heat in the summer (i live in AZ). it also already has a leak in the oil pan gasket, the torque mounts & the cradle mounts are cracked. i thought it was a good car, until it needed over $4000 in repairs and is still under 50,000 miles. and when i first bought it, ford didn't honor the tire warranty and i had to pay for my own replacement tires when they were needed. also, when the car was only at 28,000 miles ford wouldn't honor the warranty because i owned the car for 36 months when it reached 28k.
    Visitor, Melbourne, FL, February 12, 2013 07:24
    I totally agree, this is the worst car ever. The American car dealers want us (the Americans) to purchase more of the cars made here but if this is what we have to look forward to go foreign. I had been waiting several years to be able to purchase a car. Finally was able to. I went to a well known dealership (Mitsubishi) and this is what they loaded on me. A 2007 Ford Taurus piece of junk. Maybe a month after purchased things started to go down hill, we have had it put on the auto repair computers time after time and have bought numerous parts just to find something else is wrong.
    allforamazing, Pulaski, VA, February 05, 2013 19:57
    Listen. I bought this car in 2009 with 63,000 miles on it. It currently has 120,000 miles on it, and I couldn't be more afraid of it. My alternator went out on my while I was driving down the interstate - had to pay for an emergency battery switch and wait for some rando to charge me 500 to put a new alternator and battery in. Then, the accelerator got stuck! The car was driving itself! After i got it back from the dealership that time, it happened again! I didn't think I had bought a toyota. Shortly after, the AC went out. paid to have it recharged but then they said it would be 1200 to get it fixed! - no way jose. Compressor out, Condenser out. And did i mention when I walked to my car after a dinner out that the muffler had randomly fallen off? Had to drive the 4 hour ride home with the entire thing in my car and all the windows down. Currently, because I can't afford a new vehicle, I'm having to replace my rotors - again, along with having the transmission serviced because it's getting 'stuck' and chugging on my when i'm driving down the interstate in the snow. The wheel wont' even turn sometimes! It gets stuck and my car won't do anything! Terrifying vehicle, although I've heard nothing but wonderful stories from all of my other relatives that have owned one. Maybe it's just my luck.
    rockhead1942, West Chester, PA, January 28, 2013 17:17
    Now (Jan 2013) I have 81,500 mi on his 2008 Taurus Limited. I have had no problems with this car in almost five years of ownership. It is the most reliable car I have ever owned and I plan to keep it for atleast another year or two before I replace it. I have used all I have learned in 55 years of auto ownership to carefully maintain this car. For example: I send out my engine oil for analysis twice a year to monitor wear. Also, I have the transmission flushed and oil replaced at 30K intervals. I will update this review in in 2014 to see how this cars has fared in reliability, but at this time I can't be more complimentary of this 2008 Taurus!
    Visitor, Charleston, WV, November 23, 2012 20:29
    Great car, I love mine, just passed 200k miles and still running strong. Power steering needs to be replaced in most taurus's after 150k miles. Great car though
    Visitor, Denham Springs, LA, November 02, 2012 19:06
    i just purchased a ford taurus stationwagon its an older model, i like it alot i needed a car at the time becavse i live far from town i just moved here from the state of Utah, where i took care of my 85 year old mother,the problem i am having is, there is a sound coming from the front, someone said its a wheel bearing,is it possible that someone could tell me how much i would be paying the ford motor company , to get this fixed.(raytorres@yahoo.com )
    Visitor, Dothan, AL, October 15, 2012 13:08
    IT'S A VERY COMFORTABLE CAR, BUT MY COMPRESSOR WON'T CUT OFF, IT KNOCKS IN THE FRONT END WHEN YOU HIT BUMPS. WHEN YOU TURN THE RADIO DOWN, IT GOES UP INSTEAD. O2 SENSORS. IT SHAKES WHEN YOU GO TO STOP, IT'S REAL BAD THE FASTER YOU ARE GOING WHEN YOU TRY TO STOP. I HAD TO RUN A RED LIGHT YESTERDAY BECAUSE IT WOULDN'T STOP, LUCKILY THE OTHER PEOPLE WERE WATCHING. I HAVE A 2001 KIA SEPHIA THAT HAS 331,000 MILES ON IT AND NEVER HAD AS MANY PROBLEMS AS THIS TAURUS, MINUS THE COMFORT PART. MY TAURUS ONLY HAS 153000 AND IT'S THE SAME YEAR AS MY KIA. IT'S STILL RUNNING TIL THIS DAY AND ONLY DONE NORMAL MAINTENANCE ON IT. I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER AMERICAN MADE CAR AGAIN!!!!!!!!
    Visitor, Las Vegas, NV, October 06, 2012 12:34
    My 06 Taurus SEL looked fine on the outside...I thought I would have a great car here ( I purchased it used w/ 18K from Gaudin Ford here in vegas..extended warrenty too)Today, the A/C quit..Windshield washer system died also...rubber hoses cracked to lil pieces from the heat... Ignition sticky.. had it repaired..Ft speakers of the stereo quit...Steering wheel squeeked while turning..repaired it too..Power seat went off track..repaired it. Iv'e replaced the drive belt 3 times beacuse of squeeking..and have to do it again...5 yrs owner..and Im beggin someone to take over payments...I WANT OUT!!!
    Visitor, Adairsville, GA, September 28, 2012 11:16
    I have a bit of an unusual engine, unseen by most mechanics. It's a 2002 Taurus SES, 24V, DOHC, 3.0litre engine. The passenger side of engine has the serpentine belt and on the driver side is a 'balancer belt' which goes on a camshft pulley, through a tensioner and around the water pump pulley. Its purpose is a counter balancer weight on the cam so as to reduce engine vibrations. How many models has this? Most part houses don't supply or find this belt listed. Suppose to get from a Ford Dealer, which is the stupidest thing. I can get it online. The "Gates" belt part number is: WO133-1635861 and it is 26.8inches in length. Anyone else have this specific designed engine?
    Visitor, Oak Forest, IL, September 22, 2012 12:09
    expect to do some major repairs. torque contveter at some point, and shocks and struts x4 ever single one junks
    Visitor, Nottingham, MD, August 20, 2012 13:30
    Bought my Taurus in 2006 with 9k on it from a Ford dealership. It has the 24V V-6. The car was fairly inexpensive, so I didn't expect to get something "maintenance free." The car now has 100k on it, and overall, I'm pleased and would buy another Taurus. It had quite a few problems during the first two years I owned it, but the warranty covered the work so I can't complain. Outside of the warranty, I've always had problems with the seals in the doors and trunk leaking, and last year I had to re-charge the A/C due to a small leak. Everything else has been routine maintenance.
    Visitor, Stone Mountain, GA, July 21, 2012 12:51
    I BOUGHT MY CAR 2 YEARS AGO AND I HAVENT HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH MY CAR UNTIL RECENT, THE GAGE HAND IS ON THE H WHICH MEANS ITS RUNNING HOT! ALSO IT SEEMS AS IF IM ALWAYS OUT OF GAS DUE TO THE GAS LIGHT NEVER INDICATES IM LOW WHICH SUCKS, BECAUSE THE CAR STOP SUDDENLY...I STILL LOVE MY CAR BUT NOW IM NOTICING ALOT OF MINOR PROBLEMS.....WHEN I PURCHASED THIS CAR IT WAS 190,000 MILES AND NOW ITS OVER 200,000, NEVERTHELESS ITS A PRETTY GOOD CAR AND I WOULD RECOMMEND ANYONE TO GET A 2001 FORD TAURUS!
    Visitor, Memphis, TN, June 17, 2012 12:51
    I purchased my second Ford car in July 2008. I got a 2008 Ford Taurus Limited (the former Ford Five Hundred). For the most part I have been pleased with the performance of the car, the space and all the nice features it has. I have a major problem, within the first year I had the car one of my keys broke in the iginition and when I took it to the dealership I asked if there were any recalls on the keys and of cost the answer was NO!! I was told it would be $250.00 to replace and I certainly could not afford that. Well a month ago my second key broke in the iginition (no fault of myown)I know there has to be a manufacture problem, but the dealership is not owning up to it. So now I sit at church and can't get home. I have never had a broken car key. This is a major complaint and I wish someone would tell me something.
    Visitor, Terrell, TX, June 08, 2012 21:09
    in october 2011 i bought a used ford taurus from town east ford and neve will shop there again. i was told they would check all the fluids and make sure the car was running right. On the day i picked it up it had a flat tire and wasn't running like it was the day i test drove it. I went back and they said cash sale makes it your problem now. I put air in the tire cause they wouldnt then drove it home. next morning I noticed oil on the ground. they asked me to bring it in and they would look at it. turns out they didnt put the oil filter on tight enough. again i said take it back and again i was told cash sale no take backs. I have had to replace the battery, the fuel filter, the spark plugs and wires, clean the fuel injectors, the throttle body, get tires, the compressor squeals, i put on a new belt and now it is squealing when i start the car, the air conditioner isnt cold. I cant wait to get rid of this car. I always hated fords and this makes me hate them even more.
    Visitor, Garden City, MI, June 07, 2012 07:44
    I have a 1998 Ford Taurus with 141,000 on it and last week i was driving and had to slam on my brakes then shortly afterwards a red brake light had come one the dash the light has a exclamation point and a P. I was driving it last night and now i have to put my foot all the way to the floor for the car to stop. the brakes are about a yr old and i barley drive the car as to its not in the best shape i was hoping maybe someone can tell me if they think they know what could be wrong. I cant find the brake fluid reservoir either to maybe see if i may need brake fluid. Please help me someone...
    serrina, Kenosha, WI, June 06, 2012 16:01
    We have some porblems will the check engine light too. What do u do for this?
    Visitor, Gadsden, AL, May 07, 2012 12:24
    my trunk shock went bad as anyone heard of this happening before i never have before
    montdad63, Myrtle Beach, SC, May 03, 2012 17:52
    2004 Ford Taurus Se, great car 135,000 stalling, coil pack replaced, told by mechanic it need a tuneup , that will be done next, plugs, wires, fuel filter and we shall see the results, also the throttle position sensor was replaced, high RPMs was the reason for TPS changed.
    Visitor, Pelham, NC, April 26, 2012 04:04
    my tarus has been not wanting to start and it has been skipping really bad how do i fix it
  • 2009 Ford Taurus
    Visitor, Morgantown, IN, March 30, 2012 07:13
    2009 Ford Taurus. Pros are good gas mileage for full sixed car, comfortable ride and good visibility. Cons are transmission cooler repair kit ( Ford TSB ) loud vibration shifting to 6th gear, climate control blendor broke, had to remove dash to fix, sway bar links replaced, loud front end suspension knock, funky transmission shifts, have 04 Taurus with 160 k better car than 09.
    Visitor, Wichita, KS, March 17, 2012 04:03
    i have a 1998 ford tauras and i have been having rpm problems we have changed the fuel pump three times thinking that was it pplus did a real good tune up changed everything on the fuel part we could think of and we are still having issues when i drive it it works fine for a while than bout mid day when i start it up the rpms go way down even dying some times we are stunned dont know what it could be unless something is clogged we even changed the vapor canister and the hoses nothing any suggestions
  • 2011 Ford Taurus
    Visitor, Grant, FL, March 15, 2012 07:24
    My odometer is routinely overstating miles driven by ~14%. That's a pretty big deal. If you drive 12,000 miles per year, that means 6,800 ficticious miles on the odometer in 5 years. I've convinced the dealer service manager this is valid by showing him tests against both GPS results and odometer readings against mile markers. Anyone having a similar problem. Maybe you all should look at this when driving your car on a reasonably long trip.
    dusty baker, Chicago, IL, March 12, 2012 17:18
    Hi,my name is Dallerie Williams and i have an question,i have an 2005 ford taurus that i had since last feburary of 2011 & i was driving 03/12/2012 and went on an interview and when i got back home and parked but when i tried to park my car closer to the curb it would'nt start back up.can you please tell me what the problem may be...
    msgg1959, Glenwood, IL, February 28, 2012 12:30
    I like my Ford Tarus, my only complaint about the car is I have long legs, the car has most of the room in the back seat and not the front. I also let my salesmen pressure me into buying a car with cloth seats, I hate them, bad decision on my part.I get aroung 17 to 18 miles per gallon, but I notice when I drove out of town I got 24 to 25 miles per gallon. My only other complaint is the female that works at the front counter service desk with the nasty attitude, unreal. Whwn I buy my next car I will not be going back to Homewood Il, I will go futher down the road to Frankfort
    greasemonkey93, Niagara Falls, NY, February 22, 2012 20:58
    bought this car in august 2011. about 170000 miles on it, currently has 174000. it has been an amazing car to go to school and work. 22 mpg, handles well for its age, put 21 dollars for inspection and 40 for wipers. new water pump was 35. great car. i'm a Chrysler guy but this Taurus has definitely gotten me through what i need it for. only issue is no abs or traction control(base model). the rest is great
    Visitor, Iowa City, IA, February 08, 2012 15:11
    Reply to : 2004 Ford Taurus Visitor, Eureka, MT, August 11, 2010 11:24 "2004 SE Station Wagon with 90,000 miles. Was doing well so far but... the catalytic converters just busted completely (result: huge loss of power), along with the O2 sensors. Around $2,000 for the repair with aftermarket parts (Ford's are a grand more). Ouch. I guess it was just bad luck since it doesn't seem to be an issue with this car. Oh well." Ford should have told you that the catalytic converter was covered by the emissions warranty up to 100000 miles. Mine went out at 70000 and it was paid for by the warranty.
    Visitor, Pollocksville, NC, February 01, 2012 17:12
    I have a 2007 Ford Taurus and I love it! It is comfortable and does what I want it to do. This is my second car with my first car of 6 years being an 89 Mercury Cougar. Ford makes very affordable and reliable cars!
    Heyitskat, Clute, TX, January 31, 2012 13:55
    I baught this wheels of torture back in 2002 used. with about 50k miles. from a little known car shop named Susies carlot in richwood texas. Uon purchase everything was fine.. my vehicle didnt start really acting up till 4 years after i had gotten it. apparently the previous owner must have been either ina flood or never knew what coolant was because i started getting leaks from everywhere.. had to pay to replace all freezer plugs for they were completely eroded. Then my car started over heating so upon further dialyasis i had to replace my water pump. when i replaced that the water pump that fan was so eroded it did not have any blades left what so ever. then all the heating pipes started to go and on top of that i had issue with my car not starting and had to replace the fuel injector. now my a/c and heater will not blow so i am in another horror scene of trying to replace or figure out what can be causing it. I couldnt tell you that its was because of the vehicle and the way it was built that was the culprit or the fact that the previous owner topre the crap out of it and sold it cheap to a carlot. either way i have paid for my car almost twice of what i baught it at. i use to love ford and now.... well.....
    Visitor, Tampa, FL, January 25, 2012 06:55
    it seems like its not getting the right fuel to the car like its just dot got enough power please help.
    Visitor, Decherd, TN, January 17, 2012 17:28
    I have a 2004 ford taurus that I just had to replace the camshaft censor. Does this mean that the cam is fixing to go out on my taurus. I was told that it was please let me know. My car only has 83,000 miles on it and I have always kept the oil changed in it I just don't think I was told right. It has always been serviced and kept up very good. If my cam is going down I know for sure that I will never buy another Ford if this is true. I think this car should not have a cam going down at 83,000 miles I purchased this car new and I have always loved it. But if it is true I will have to think hard before purchasing another Ford will you please answer my question.
    Visitor, Shelton, WA, January 16, 2012 01:01
    i own a 2004 ford taurus se with the dohc motor and just before 95000 miles or so everytime i turn left my motor revs up and it acts like it is coming out of gear. after a second or two it catches again and launches like i dumped the clutch. it is an automatic. anyone else have this problem? or know of a manual tranny for it?
    Visitor, Corpus Christi, TX, January 12, 2012 02:48
    i bought my ford taurus in 2011 and its a great car for a 1995 it hadnt been kept up with at all and its really easy to perform repairs on yourself i replaced the water pump starter spark plugs and wires my taurus is running strong with the original motor and tranny and its a 1995 i really reccommend for buyers looking for cheap reliable cars and it has just under 300k miles
    Visitor, Neosho, MO, January 11, 2012 17:30
    Intermittent problems getting car started. Replaced fuel filter, key reader, cam sensor,and crank sensor. Nothing seemed to help. When it happens all the information in the information center window resets such as trip mileage, MPG, outside air temp, ect. 2006 Ford SEL 41,000 miles.
    Visitor, Detroit, MI, December 22, 2011 12:26
    what the f did i get my self into i want my money back!!!!!
    Visitor, Montoursville, PA, December 10, 2011 22:44
    Had my 07 ford taurus se 1 1/2 yrs now Never thought I would say I Love this car.Great in snow and no problems at all.Everyone I know who bought a taurus had tranny problems.my hopes are after all these yrs ,they got it right.I said I would never buy another ford ,after my 85 escort,bought new piece of crap.But ford is now redeemed with me now.it feels good to drive a u.s car again,and atleast they didn't take the bail out.
    Visitor, Davenport, IA, December 03, 2011 18:48
    I'VE OWNED FORDS IN THE PAST WITH NO PROBLEMS,BUT THE 2007 TAURUS I'VE OWNED FOR THE LAST 4 YEARS NOW HAS BEEN NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS, THE EXHAUST PIPE BY THE HEADER HAS ALREADY HAD TO BE FIXED, THE CATLYIC CONVERTER HAS BEEN REPLACED. NOW TO TOP THINGS OFF THE LAST TWO DAYS WHILE DRIVING HOME FROM WORK IN THE DARK EVERY EXTERIOR AND INTERIOR LIGHT DIED, BUT THE CAR KEPT RUNNING (JUST BARELY) CAR HAS HAD TO BE JUMPED EVERY TIME IT WAS TURNED OFF. FINALLY TOOK THE CAR TO A LOCAL AUTO PARTS STORE WHERE THEY TESTED THE BATTERY AND ALTENATOR AND BOTH TESTED FINE. TALKED TO A COUPLE OF MECHANICS I KNOW THEY SAID THAT ANY NUMBER OF THINGS COULD BE WRONG AND COULD GET VERY EXPENSIVE TO TROUBLESHOOT AND FIX THE PROBLEM
    Ocheltree, Lafayette, IN, December 03, 2011 12:04
    Problem with starter - will turn motor over when engine cold with no problem but struggles when hot.ounds like belt, pulley, slipping. no other problems, is serviced routinely every 2000 miles.
    Visitor, Moberly, MO, November 27, 2011 19:24
    I have a 2004 ford taurus and the car runs good when its at running timp. but when its cold and warming up it cuts out when idleing and idk why?
    Visitor, Accomac, VA, November 27, 2011 17:03
    I bought a 2008 Taurus in 2009 with 27k on it as a CPO from a Ford dealer in Portsmouth. It is now 2 years that I have had the car and I went from 27k to 74k in that time. The only time I have had the car in the shop was due to a broken heater vent motor. I have loved this car, and it drives great, comfortable for the 4 state drives I usually do, and gets around 26mpg. The transmission on the rare occasion slips from first into second, but I have googled that and there is some sort of fix for it I have yet to get with the computer in the car. My biggest issue was the dealer lying to me stating it had the 100k extended warranty when I found out it didn't when I got the heater fixed. I agree that Tire Rack is the best place for tires too - got mine for dirt cheap compared to what the dealer wanted to charge me.
    Visitor, Bronx, NY, November 19, 2011 12:51
    Iam totally flabbegasted Iam reading comments stating, I get 18mpg and 28 in the highway. I am yet to get 18mpg on the hway, Although my hway mileage is from the Bronx to Valley Stream Long Island. in the city I get 12 sometimes 14mpg. I am a very conservative driver, I coast to the red light no jackrabbit starsts. Is there something wrong with this car? The dealership just shruggs their shoulders, so as to say. At present I have only 18 thousand plus miles on this car. Yesterday I heard a funny noise coming from the back of the car. Upon inspection I noticed that the right rear wheel disk rotor was scarred. MY mechanic told me that I needed brakesl. He also lold that it was very unusual for the rear brakes to go, before the front brakes. He also asked me did you drive with the foot brake on? I told him no. Whenever I release the foot brake the light goes out. Apparently the foot brake was malfunctioning and therefore dragging. I am going to go to, or call the dealer about this. I want them to pay for the rear brake replacements. Engine Poor maileage. Brakes. Repeated rear brakes problem reported in the past.
    Visitor, Odessa, TX, November 10, 2011 08:58
    I agree with some of the previous post nickle and diming me to death. I am a single mom and bought this car for the safety, room, and thought it would be a good dependable car which for the most part it is. But keep having little issues arise. Driving me nuts now I am loosing all my coolant fluids. Here we go again.
    Visitor, Goose Creek, SC, October 06, 2011 17:07
    I love this car. It's a Taurus SES, I bought it used in 2003. It had 44K miles when I bought it. It has a very nice ride, roomy with a comfortable and well designed interior. It's been a great car. Very dependable, only needing the normal parts that typically need replacing, like spark plugs and wires and fluids and filter changes. I have recently had to have the ball joints and the sway bar links replaced. I have also had the fuel pump and filter replaced. The battery, brakes, and tires have been replaced twice over the years. This car is going on 11 years old and is still a very sharp and clean car. The paint has held up great, it looks almost like new. I hope to keep this one for a long time to come.
    Visitor, Lawrence, KS, October 01, 2011 13:26
    Visitor, Lawrence, KS, October 01, 2011 13:24
    I bought a 1999 Ford Taurus in 2002. It had about 75,000 miles on it, so I was somewhat wary but it was a good price. It needed a new transmission at about 120,000 miles, but that is the only major repair (other than brakes, routine maintenance, etc.). In 2009 with 186,000 miles on the car, I was T-boned at an intersection by a F-150 pickup going about 50 miles per hour. Hit me right on the driver's side door. I walked away with no injuries. The outside of the door was completely caved in but the interior side of the door barely pushed into the passenger compartment. That car saved my life! The insurance company totaled the car and I immediately started looking for a newer Taurus. I purchased a 2006 Taurus with about 70,000 miles on it. The car now (in 2011) has about 110,000 miles and it hasn't needed any major repairs. I've only changed the oil, etc. for routine maintenance and recharged the air conditioner. I expect to get at least another 90,000 miles out of it!
    Visitor, Laredo, TX, September 30, 2011 14:39
    I have a 2008 ford Taurus have had no problem with my car suddenly the actualor stated making noise all i want to know what is the normal time to have that repaired or how long does it take to the that repaired
    Camster, Huntington, NY, September 23, 2011 20:56
     Technician
    I think this is the best car that I've ever had.No major repairs,or anything out of the ordinary except a few parts,such as a motor mount and the top of the rear shocks,rusted away to nothing.The car is driven for work,but has been highly maintained with regard to replacing ALL fluids,etc.Currently have 168k on it.Runs great,still looks good.I've sold my other Taurus wagons before 100 k,except a 91 which was donated at about 163K.Five in the family over the years.If Ford offered a similar wagon, I might go it,but they don't,so I'll keep driving this one.If it dies,I'll buy an Escape.
    Visitor, Ooltewah, TN, August 21, 2011 11:08
    When I bought my 2004 Ford Taurus it had 69000 miles on it. Now we are at 87000 and with no warning at all my trans has gone out. I drove the car all day no problems. Went to pick up my son and all of the sudden the RPM's went through the roof and the car wouldn't go. I have researched this issue and have come to find this is a recurring problem. So why then is Ford not doing anything to help it's customers????
    Visitor, Medical Lake, WA, August 17, 2011 20:30
    Bought this in January 2008 and its never been back to the dealer. Rides great. Most of our driving is 45 - 60 MPH and we get between 24.5 - 26 MPG. Other than a new set of tires and oil changes that's all we've had to do to it.
    Visitor, Millersburg, OH, August 17, 2011 11:07
    I've had this car for 5 horrible long years. Everything has gone wrong with it. The heat and ac have both went out, i've replaced the oxygen sensor twice, which resulted in the car completly stopping out of nowhere, had the breaks replaced, both break lines rusted through, the dash separated from the steering column, the front end paint and clearcoat started peeling after the first year, the wipers go on and off for no reason and now my mechanic says in another year its body is done for. Boo Ford!
    Visitor, Van Nuys, CA, August 16, 2011 16:49
    I purchased my 2002 Ford Taurus SES from a Hertz dealer with 25,000 miles in 4/2003. It ran like a champ til about 150,000 miles. I drive a lot. As of today...over 182,000 miles. At that time I replaced 1 Water pump and 10,000 miles later fuel pump...nothing else major. My heater hasn't worked in quite a while... maybe since miles 165,000 but I'm in Los Angeles, and I don't miss it enough to fix it on an old car that I will replace within a 1 1/2. (I dream to get it to 200,000 miles I've never owned a car more than 3 years before...though I always buy used to avoid the depreciation. Q. What is the cause on such a car if he temp gauge fluctuates greatly and the car runs at lower temp when accelerating or driving UP a hill. (Counter intuitive). I wonder if its a sensor or some electrical malfunction causing the fan not to come on at the correct time? In 3/2010 I was having a overheating issue and the dealer wanted me to replace the radiator...however, a very honest man (Henry) at Valley Radiator in Van Nuys, CA put in a new thermostat, and the car had run fine til just this past week.
    Visitor, Madison, AL, August 15, 2011 10:30
    Gas mileage continues to do down. Went from 18.5 mpg in city to 16 to 13.5. Car seems to be running okay, but gas mileage keeps dropping. Any ideas?
    Visitor, Georgetown, KY, August 12, 2011 19:49
    I don't so much like my car. I purchased this 2005 Taurus back in 2008 as a get to college car. I try to keep up with the maintenance, but as a student, the car has had to skip a few services. I have had had to have its "front-end" replaced 3 times. As a result, of the front-end work, I cannot (I was told it never will) get the car 100% aligned. I have refurbished the brakes once. I now have an acceleration problem with it. The car sometimes accelerates and jerks forward without me pushing the accelerator. I am told that since my cruise control is also broken, the cruise control cable is either loose on, too tight on, or blocking the throttle body. I think I made a mistake in buying this car.
    Visitor, Toledo, OH, August 06, 2011 15:42
    it average but things go out it them like dominos
    Visitor, American Canyon, CA, August 05, 2011 23:36
    the frunt end suucks
    Visitor, Stamford, CT, August 04, 2011 19:10
    ENGINE IS HOT ALL THE TIME.EVEN THOUGH THE NEEDLE IS ALL WAYS RIGHT BETWEEN HOT AND COLD.AND SOMETIMES WHEN THE CAR IS OFF THE NEEDLE DOES NOT MOVE.
    Visitor, Ocala, FL, August 03, 2011 11:52
    What a great deal. I bought this can in 2007 with 75,000 miles. It has been very reliable and cheap to operate. Best car ever. The only problems has been getting the alignment correct and now I think I have a CV going. That is acceptable as I now have 170,000 miles on the car. This model has the 24 valve engine and has lots of get up and go.
    Visitor, Mohnton, PA, August 01, 2011 18:38
    motor races alittle when first started i believe its the iac motor
    Visitor, Hiram, GA, August 01, 2011 17:49
    i need the radiator fan wiring harness for 1994 ford taurus
    Visitor, San Antonio, TX, July 25, 2011 17:45
    Have had this car for two years. Just don't like the 16 inch tire with the low profile Only air up to 30 lbs (advise no higher) otherwise one of the best used vehicle I have owned in a long time.
    Visitor, Plainfield, IN, July 24, 2011 05:03
    I bought this car in2005 used and had to put $2000 worth work in it right away I guess the previos owner didn't maitain it properly. Since then I have maintained it regularly. The most recurring issues are the brakes and the suspension I had the front coils snap but noone ever sent me a recall notice so I had to repair on my own. Now I have an issue with the front end and steeering shaking when I brake. I have had the alignment checked and I have the tires rotated and balanced regularly but this problem persists. Now I also have a knocking when I hit a bump. Don't know for sure but it sounds like something is loose under the right rear.
    Forthplace, West Valley, NY, July 11, 2011 19:27
    Bought this car 2 years ago with 45,000 miles on it. First thing to go was the radiator overflow canister. I was told Ford made then to thin. The coolant disintegrated the plastic. Next was both rear struts. A couple of months later the left front strut spring broke, without warning, and went right through the front tire. Replaced both front struts, and my tire, only to find out the half shafts were shot and needed to be replaced. I now have 66,000 miles on it and just replaced the EGR valve. As soon as I can keep the check engine light off long enough to get it inspected I'm going to unload this car and would have to think twice before buying another Ford.
    Visitor, Irving, TX, July 06, 2011 07:11
    I bought my 01 taurus new i have had no problems with mechanical parts such as engine tranny,but other little problems were numerous,like a/c fans shifter cable early milage.Nice car but little problems nickle and dime you to death.
    Visitor, Gilbert, AZ, June 04, 2011 14:28
    Bought this car used with 45K miles on it. It had had the tranny worked on prior to my purchase. I had the tranny repaired 1 year after I bought it and only about a month after the warranty expired but continued to have sensor problems with it. Now the tranny needs replaced, the front seal is leaking. In addition, it seems like there is an electrical problem. In addition to the tranny, the following has been replaced AC Compressor, radiator, overflow, the control for the ac/heater switch, brakes, belts. I am very frustrated with this car. It seems like you get a Ford with all the good parts or one with all the bad parts.
    Visitor, Saint Petersburg, FL, April 29, 2011 11:14
    53000 miles AAAwarrarty
    Visitor, Saint Paul, MN, April 14, 2011 14:29
    I've had my '95 Taurus for 12 years now and it's currently at 307K miles, and is still going strong. (Though, I did recently replace the original starter, but nothing lasts forever, I guess.) The only major issues I've had with this car have been the transmission (replaced at 163K), the cooling fan was replaced three times (once under recall), and the struts were replaced at 128K. Other than those major expenses, this car has only had minor, infrequent expenses (brake pads twice, water pump twice, alternator twice, battery three times, a few alignments, etc.) and has been a complete joy to drive. (Though, please note, one must regularly change the fluids and maintain a car if you want to have a relatively long-lasting, high-mileage vehicle.) My only complaints with this car is 1)the transmission (and its replacement) were never great, and 2)acceleration with the air conditioning on is very sluggish, and stop-and-start city driving with the a/c on can really eat up the gasoline. (Which at $4/gal can break the bank.) Overall, the '95 Taurus was, at least in my mind, a car built to last.
    Visitor, Freeport, IL, March 09, 2011 17:23
    I have always owned ford and my last taurus died at over 250 thousand or more i took it from the top of IL to the bottom all over it was great and the best body style of them all then i got wrangled into a 97 over 100 thousand at about 50 thou or so extra on it blew the trans out brake blew before that had to take it in a rod was jammed in the brakes tires suspension the normal crap with that old and high miles i plan to make the rest of the repairs tires in back and suspension I love ford Tauruses they are my favorite car and unless the other person beat the crap out of it or you do they are great comfortable reliable cars
    Visitor, Monroe, CT, March 07, 2011 15:22
    I've had 4 Taurus' and 1 Sable, all bought used, and put about 100k on each. These are great cars, very economical, and reliable.
    Visitor, Mission Viejo, CA, February 15, 2011 17:10
    I had a 2003 DOHC. Had to give it up at 196,000 miles. Wish I would have kept it. I'm looking for another one with low miles. First time I hated to give up a car. LOVED it. The DOHC has 200 horses. Very nice smooth and stable at speeds I cannot mention here. Never had a major problem. Had the orignial engine and trans at 196,000 miles. The dealer was amazed at the milage and shape the car was in.
    Visitor, Mcminnville, OR, February 06, 2011 15:25
    This is my second and last Ford Taurus. The first an '89 who's tranny died within 10 yrs of stellar maintenance and care. Both had the "Factory Ford Paint Job", in other words completely flaking off AFTER the time expired for the fix. This "93 still has it's tranny, but the AC, factory radio, RAMPANT ELECTRICAL ISSUES-including one back window refuses to open and now the Linkage is trashed. How can Ford Motor Co. Continue to operate with all of these issues and no interest in making their mistakes right? Oh, and my gas mileage is rediculous! I'm lucky if I get 14 on HWY and 9 in town.
    Visitor, Hillsboro, MO, January 31, 2011 22:37
    I have a SEL DOHC 3.0, I keep reading these reviews and wondering... are these people driving the same car. It has been good to me for sure, 165,000 miles and has started up everytime I wanted it to. My brother had it for about half the miles and he didn't take care of it at all. All interior parts work, all the paint is still on it and it has never been in a garage. Power seat works, sometimes the 6 disc changer will not work in the cold, but that is it. We had an O2 sensor we replaced at about 102,000, no other parts. It still gets 27mph!
    Visitor, South Fork, PA, January 14, 2011 09:57
    Taurus SEL - This is the worst car I've ever bought. Bought it new in 2002. First new car. Both front springs broke before 50,000 miles. Rear spring is broken. Replaced HVAC unit and wiring harness in driver's side door @ 80,000 miles. Now, with less than 89,000 miles tranny quit without warning. Ford will not stand behind their lousy manufacturing. Last Ford to ever sit in my driveway!
    2jeff4gordon, Clinton, ME, January 08, 2011 19:03
    I love this car. It take off great. in fact a little too well. The lights could be a little bit better. the brake are somewhat decent. I would highly recomened this car to someone who can control speed and has a small family.
    exnavyguy34, Weymouth, MA, January 08, 2011 09:18
    My wife and I like the car, it's perfectly sized for our family of four. Plenty of room inside, comfortable interior, nice ride whether you are driving in town or on the highway, especially smooth and quiet on the highway. Decent gas mileage, would probably make more sense to drive a four cylinder car especially when all the driving we do is around town, but I like having a V6. We have had issues with the sway bars, and coil springs. We have kept up with the maintenance and the car runs fine, the a/c blows ice cold air, the heat works fine, the radio is fine as well. Nice big trunk too. The only problem is that the door locks do not work, we have to lock and un-lock them manually.
    Visitor, San Antonio, TX, January 08, 2011 07:11
    I have never been a fan of the Ford Taurus, but I must admit that this has been a great car. I bought used in 2008 and have been driving over 600 miles a week for work. It is now 2011 and over 100,000 miles and never been in the shop except for routine maintenance.
    JJ63366, Coppell, TX, December 29, 2010 03:15
    among the worst cars i have ever owned. transmission issues at 80k, brake rotor promlems , even after they were machined., wipers that spontaneously activated when the outside temperature was over 95 degrees, dome lights that would not go off and drained the battery. totally turned me against the ford brand
    Visitor, Lake City, FL, December 15, 2010 20:48
    I chose the Taurus because I wanted a vehicle with lots of room. I also wanted a vehicle with four doors so that people didn't have to crawl in and out of the back seat like was the case with my 2 door Explorer Sport. The Taurus can comfortably seat 5 adults and for short trips will seat 6 adults or 5 adults and a child. The front seat is a split 60/40 seat. The middle will comfortably fit a child or it can be folded down to reveal an armrest and a cup and change holder. As for cargo space, the Taurus also has lots of this! I have never seen a trunk so big on a medium sized sedan. My mother has a Buick Park Avenue and the trunk on my Taurus is as large if not larger. The opening to the trunk is also large. I learned with my Mustang that this makes a big difference when you are trying to place suitcases in the trunk and they won't fit through the opening. http://www.reviewedfords.com/2010-ford-taurus.html
    giralico, Louisville, KY, December 07, 2010 07:22
    Bought the car new. Been a stellar performer. Pushing 155k mileage now. Got 72k on original tires. Just replaced second set. Routine maintenance at scheduled times has proven the key to keeping the car on the road and performing well. Had 288k on previous Taurus when I sold it.
    joerodthedude, Bronx, NY, December 07, 2010 07:22
    I bought my 2002 Taurus in 2010, now what can you speck of a 8 years old car? Well I can tell you that the engine runs as any or better than most new car and the body with it's original ashen gray color looks as good as new. I am so happy with my Taurus ... Jose Luis Rodriguez Riverdale, New York City
    FishForLife, Painesville, OH, December 07, 2010 07:21
    Bought my 2002 DOHV 6-cyl new. Followed the maintenance schedule (changed oil, tranny fluids, etc.) Now have nearly 175,000 on it and it still runs strong. Only complaint is that I live in Ohio and the body is rusting under the wheel wells and starting to see some in the rocker panels. Still love this car, and am looking at the new 2011 model. Wish all American vehicles were as well engineered as my Taurus.
    classicguy, Sonora, KY, December 06, 2010 09:14
    I drive about 1000 miles a week for my job. I chose this car, because I have a 92 Mercury Sable with over 200,000 miles, and this 3.0 engine is been very reliable. For the price, its a good reliable car, and fairly easy to repair. Have always done my own oil changes, every 3-4000 miles, and feel like that has helped make the engine last that long. This is my first "fancy" Taurus decked out with moonroof and leather seats, very stylish.
    Visitor, Indianapolis, IN, December 02, 2010 09:31
    I drive a 2004 taurus. I have had nothing but problems with this car. The MPG has dropped from the 20's to 13.5 MPH. I have replaced everything I can think of and still no change! Piece of junk!!!!
    Visitor, Forney, TX, December 01, 2010 18:06
    This car is a piece of junk. I have actually owned two and have had nothing but problems with BOTH! If your considering buying one of these, then DON'T unless your a mechanic who enjoys working on this car all the time!!!!
    Whatisup, Cary, NC, December 01, 2010 18:05
    Air condition had a problem under 30,000 miles according to mechanics at Ford of Cary. Last year we were told car needed brakes master cylender. Took car to Franks all it needed was brake fluit. Now in the back of my head I will always wounder. Did the air condition was really in need to repair, since it was cooling.? Other then that, I love my car. Would I buy a Ford again. No it does not hold value as Honda or toyota.
    kuru, Sacramento, CA, December 01, 2010 18:05
    I bought a used 2002 Ford Taurus SES in June 2010. In September 2010 I had used $1,200.00 to repair the A/C Compressor which had failed and caused the burning of the drive-belt. And now in October 2010, the Transmission is not working and the car is sitting down in my driveway. The estimated cost of the repair for rebuilding the Transmission is over $2,000.00. This car is a real head-ache and we must advise all our friends of what to expect when buying a Ford Taurus.
    Visitor, Golden Eagle, IL, December 01, 2010 18:03
    Great car will never buy another car but a taurus.
    Visitor, Paradise, TX, December 01, 2010 18:02
    My 00 Taurus SEL has always run great! Got it in 05 off my Mom who got it brand new off the lot. the only problem she ever had with it was the AC went out once. Replaced it, no problems after that. 2yrs ago had to replace an air sensor, no problems after that. Now the brakelights have gone out and we cant figure out why. This would hve to be the biggest problem we have had to date in 10 years of having this car in the family. Plus my mom drove this car back and forth from Abilene TX to Alberqueque, NM TWICE a week for a year straight. Many many miles. Still the best car i could ever recommend to anyone. I hear of lots of people with problems but really every body drives diffrent so treat your Taurus right and it will treat you right!!!!!
    Visitor, Elgin, SC, December 01, 2010 18:01
    I purchased my 2007 Ford Taurus SE used in 2008. I have almost had it for three years now, and I will be the first to tell you to never buy a ford. Granted, my Taurus has more miles on it than it should, but since I purchased it, my Taurus has given me nothing but problems. I have had to replace many things, including my range sensor on my transmission, and that didnt even fix the problem. I have had issues with my car slipping out of gear, not going into gear, sputtering, stalling, and I don't think I can take anymore. I have now found out that I have to not only rebuild the transmission, but I also have to replace my catalytic converter! I haven't even owned this thing for three years and I'm going through major repairs! I will never buy a FORD again!!!!!
    Visitor, San Jose, CA, November 28, 2010 20:54
    I bought a 2006 in 2006 from Hertz (25K) for my son. I drove it for three years until he finally passed his license exam. It is a very responsive and stable car for a new driver. The car has had minor problems with a blend door motor (no heat - $45 part) and left front bearing (45 to buy and $112 to have someone install it - I may have hit a curb hard but still drove it for a year with bearing noise). This required an alignment ($70). I replaced the front brakes and rotors (cheap do it yourself about $100). I have replaced all of the tires. The car has 100K, and with tires, I have spent about $1K in maintenance in 4 years. Since I paid 10K for the car I rate the Taurus very high as a daily driver.
    Visitor, Abingdon, VA, November 28, 2010 14:47
    I purchased my 98 Taurus SE Comfort (Duratec 24v DOHC) in 2004 with 44000 miles on it. The previous owner purchased it new and maintained it by the book, I got the entire service history with the car. This car has been wonderful! It's now at 114000 miles and it's the most reliable car I've ever owned.
    Visitor, Chambersburg, PA, November 28, 2010 14:46
    My 93 taurus Lx that i bought at a junk yard 3 years ago and now it has 211,000miles and i drive from Pa. to NYC almost twice a month and it runs great. Yes you must keep up with all the fluids.
    mschiebold, Bloomfield Hills, MI, November 26, 2010 06:46
    Great car with an engine that will actually get the car up to highway speeds fast enough. My only complaint is the low mileage but that's solved with smart acceleration and braking as well as conservative driving. Heard from my mechanic that the Taurus GL 3.8L V6 requires more maintenance due to the larger engine, which is understandable. If you do your own oil changes, you can save yourself some green as well as add to your engine life if you're good about keeping up with it.
    eytanaa, Ludington, MI, November 21, 2010 22:05
    I have owned this 1997 Ford Taurus for less than one year and it had 100,000 miles when I got it. In less than a year I have had to replace the brakes, catalytic converters have holes in them, and a valve has gone out in the engine. I will not replace the converters as this is at least a $1200. dollar repair. The same, another $1200. or more to replace the valve. This is a piece of junk!
    Visitor, Grand Rapids, MI, November 19, 2010 06:11
    I got this car for my 16th birthday. I've had it for 2 and a half years now. Even after I crashed it and smashed up the front end right after I got my license, it has been a reliable car. It seems like we have to put time and money into it all the time, but for being 15 years old, its still been a good car. but now, no matter how many flushes and how much water/antifreeze we put in the radiator, it gets really hot after about a month of driving around. very frustrated, but it still was a very good car. I definitely recommend it to any first driver.
    OldFord, Greenwich, NY, November 16, 2010 00:10
    I have a 98 Taurus wagon with 217,000 miles. Last month, it began doing the following. Once the engine is hot and then the car turned off, more often than not, it will not start again until the engine fully cools off. Sometimes I've had to wait 10 minutes before it would restart; other times it can take an hour or more. Any idea what's causing this? Otherwise, it's a very reliable car.
    Visitor, Madison, WI, November 12, 2010 07:10
    have had 99 for nearly 6 months and Ive already put on over 5000 miles. no majors problems accept the ones the seller failed to fix and things for previous owners. a special radio was installed and my wipers randomly go off. a few weeks after i bought the speed sensor failed and the transmission still makes me nervous because it doesn't shift the smoothest (unlike my mom's 06 Toyota corolla). and i also had to have the battery replaced. BUT I totally trust my car, i really do. the gas mileage is ok. and has held up well considering i drive almost 1000 miles a month. plus i know another girl who is the typical reckless teenage girl, and the most she's spent for her car repairs is the tires.
    Visitor, Kansas City, MO, November 12, 2010 07:09
    I have to say i can be rough on cars. living in a sub of a major city can cause you to put many many miles on your car. I bought my 96 taurus last year with 170k and now it is over 200k. I've had some major work: trans, brakes, you name it. I've always kept up with my oil cange every 3,000 miles with an inspection as well. I think this car has done well considering what its been through. It is a tough car and just as determined as a taurus should be!
    Visitor, Tucson, AZ, November 12, 2010 07:09
    I bought this 1997 Taurus 6 months ago, and like it very much. I have owned several Fords through the years but this is my first FWD vehicle. The vehicle has needed some normal maintenance and some various minor repairs, but with 106000, and now since I have owned it, it has 116000. These repairs are to be expected. The vehicle has had a off idle acceleration problem since I got it, but this is yet to be resolved, I have had it to one mechanic that did a injector flush, but this had no effect on the problem. I have read several other reviews like this and I see several people complaining about problems they had had and end up saying the car is a piece of S%@!. It seems like every time I see this, it is a 2nd 3rd or 4th owner, and they obviously have no idea of the previous maintenance history or how hard the vehicle may have been used. Also I see that the car “only had 80000 miles” I hate to tell you this but 80000 is not low miles. It may be low for a 12 to 16 year old vehicle, but not low overall. If you ask most any good mechanic they will tell you 60000 miles is the time you start a major maintenance schedule. This goes for any vehicle, even you Honda and Toyota guys. It also seems like getting a good Diagnosis and repair is difficult, these technicians don’t really know what to do if the problem is not obvious or the analysis machine does not tell them exactly what is wrong. I have a different car that has had a problem with the emissions system and the mechanic has tried twice now it figure out what is wrong and 600.00 out of my pocket and the problem is still not fixed.
    Visitor, Muncy, PA, November 12, 2010 07:07
    great car and excellent shape after 10 yrs
    dragon5126, Cudahy, WI, November 12, 2010 07:07
    I'm on Taurus # 3, #1 and 2 were totalled in collsions, both with excess of 250K. NEVER had a single issue with them. After reading the negative reviews, I have to say one thing: FOLLOW YOUR MAINTENANCE SCHEDULES!!! It doesnt matter WHAT you drive! You notice that the people who bought their Taurus new and maintained them properly don't have the problems? The Taurus is one of the most popular cars because they ARE reliable! BUT ALL cars fail if not maintained. Reliability doesnt mean you can abuse it!
    Visitor, Cordova, TN, November 07, 2010 09:45
    I've had this car for almost 4 years. got when it had 150,000 miles now has 215,000. the only problem i have had is with the brakes and the inner/outer rods which is a $450 job. it has had only oil changes. so i think its a nice car o
    rockmetal2000, Sand Lake, MI, November 02, 2010 19:23
    My 2002 Ford Taurus SEL is the second 4th generation Taurus that I've owned, and even though I have been more of a GM fan (my first 2 vehicles were Chevys and my 3rd was a Pontiac), the 2000-2007 model Ford Tauruses have proven, in my opinion, to be rather dependable vehicles. For example, my first Taurus (a 2000 Ford Taurus SES) had 276,000 miles when I purchased it used for a cheap $1500, and for 2 1/2 years I have driven it, bringing the odometer to 334,000 miles! It has helped me on many long commutes (avg. 100-240 miles per day for 5 days a week) even with the many miles on it with very little maintenance needed! And even though I have only had my 2002 Taurus for 2 1/2 weeks (as of Nov. 2, 2010) it seems to run smoother than the 2000 one and has been real dependable! I have become a 4th generation Taurus fan, and will cherish my 2002 Ford Taurus SEL for as long as I can drive it!!
    Visitor, La Place, LA, September 10, 2010 13:26
    Interior & Misc - Controls are not laid out logically. Also, SYNC is hard to deal with on occaision. Brakes - When hard braking, I do not feel the car stops as quickly as it should Heating & A/C - Again, illogical controls. I can't figure how to get fresh outside air w/o having the 'auto' function going. Suspension & Steering - Somewhat vague, but never feeling out of control
    Visitor, Newport News, VA, September 05, 2010 06:39
    I have a 2004 Taurus SEL 3.0 24 valve Duratec engine 122,000 miles on it the car runs great and has been no trouble at all. This is my 2nd Taurus the 1st was an 97 that I sold to my Niece it finally died with 200,000 miles on it.
    Visitor, Tucson, AZ, August 31, 2010 17:40
    I bought my '94 taurus in '04 after I got rearended driving my '92. I have had some issues with the transmission but yet I have been told that alot of taurus's have that. Just since May of this yr, my mom put alot of money into it....this car (3.8) has 41,480.5 miles on it. My (ex) is putting new bushings on it, axel and gas lines (my mom had someone bend them out of the way). Its funny though because I traded this car in for a '02 Explorer in '06 and got it back 6 months later after it was involved in a accident in which all the sway bars had to be replaced. Otherwise, the car hasn't done me any wrong since it does get me from a-b/b-a.
    eagle1969, Antioch, CA, August 30, 2010 11:47
    My Taurus has only 87,000 miles the heating/ cooling system is a huge problem, Over heats constant,Replacing pump now. A/C does not work, My Automatic transmission Park"-pawl abutment bracket is broken. Not safe! Altenator , belts replaced. This car has been kept up with regular work Brakes, tune ups, oil changes. For the low milage this car is a lemon.
    Visitor, Bay Village, OH, August 29, 2010 06:02
    Inner wheel well fell out of car and was advised by Ford that this is common. Left rear brake hung up and almost caused a fire. When I visited Ford, they advised me that since I was able to hit the brake witha hammer and free the pads, I should continue to drive it until problem reoccurs. After the problem happened a second time another dealership advised me that there is a Service Bulleting for this problem that includes 2010 Taurus, 2010 Lincoln MKS, and Ford Flex built before 12/15/09.
    Visitor, Eureka, MT, August 11, 2010 11:24
    Visitor, Bolingbrook, IL, July 21, 2010 19:28
    42,000 miles on 2008 Taurus. Was in shop two days after purchase because power seat did not work on passenger side, nor did power windows. Has been in shop three times because heated seats stopped working. Now $1000 to replace steering rack that has caused poor steering (TSB on this one). First and last Ford we purchase.
    Visitor, Waterford, MI, July 18, 2010 15:55
    I bought my 2000 taurus se with the 24 valve v6 dohc engine. nice car. bought it with 195,755 mies. and got to say thing runs like brand new. had to put very little money into it. just minor things, tune up and things like that. i had it for like 4 months. i am now at 209,981 miles and its still running like new. i did notice it is a lil bouncy. back drum breaks seem to work more then what they should. before i bought it ford put new struts n springs all the way around. im thinking on replacing them. i have a new born baby. i think its a lil to bouncy. but over all i would say the car is a 8.5 outta 10.
    Visitor, D Hanis, TX, June 28, 2010 08:02
    I bought my 2005 Taurus with 12,000 miles on it right before graduating college and it has been awesome. My mom had a Taurus and my sister bought the same model 6 mo. after me. Only problem I've noticed is that the check engine light will randomly go off and on for no reason (happened 7-8 times in the last year). I had REALLY tight finances right after graduation (hooray for student loans) so I was not as diligent on the big maintenance as I should have been (missed got the 60,000 mile check-up at 80,000 and stuff like that, although I always got regular oil changes) but it has given me few fits. I needed brake work done a few times and have replaced the battery and tires, but it has really been a great car. I even got hit by a deer (I had slowed down but a deer ran head first into my driver's side) and the car had very minimal damage, everything was still functional. My A/C and heat get really cold/hot really fast. Was kinda annoyed to have to get a "mom" car in college, but it has been a real life-saver with the low cost, low maintenance for this poor college student.
    Visitor, Jacksonville, FL, June 26, 2010 11:15
    Man this car is straight up junk, i got it as my first car and it sucked everytime I turn around I had to replace something. For example, i had to problems back to back first my starter went bad then my battery died and to replace these were two very expensive fixes coming out of my car. DONT BUY THIS CAR AT ALL ITS TRASH
    Visitor, Abington, MA, June 26, 2010 06:01
    I have 118000K on this 2004 SES...It runs great...Headlight lenses faded and brakes have been fixed numerous times. Improve these problems at the plant and the car would be great
    Visitor, Halifax, PA, June 24, 2010 12:07
    I really like my 2005 SLE. The brakes really could be better, like someone said, but over-all it's a very reliable car. I'm a SAAB driver for decades but the upkeep is ridiculous on them so thought I'd try something else. V6 so the gas milage poor as expected. The transmission just went out, which I've just been told is TYPICAL for this model.I like the car an awful lot, but that would have been a handy bit of information to have had, Ford!!!
    Visitor, Wylie, TX, June 15, 2010 08:21
    I got my '97 Taurus as a graduation present two years ago. It had 85k miles on it at the time, and was in perfect working condition until the AC broke a week after getting it (In mid-April, I might add). For a few months, everything else was perfect, but then the heater broke sometime in the following October. To this day, I don't have either fixed, and I've had to replace my spark plugs. Now I have a problem with the check engine light and from what I've been told, the catalytic converters. I understand that it's an old car, though, and it's served me well these past couple of years. I would give anything to have the new 2010 Taurus.
    fmadden5672, Memphis, TN, June 11, 2010 20:49
    my rear brakes keep jumping off inside the drum
    Visitor, Norfolk, VA, May 31, 2010 08:53
    i bought my 1997 taurus gl in 09 the first car i ever bought off a dealer and i love my car it had 107 miles on it when i got it i drove it all the way from va to keywest,fl no problems till i get back here and found out it had the original spark plugs and wires on it and now it starts and then dies alot of people say it is the cad.coverters but not sure i got hit in the back by a drunk driver at 40mph and iwas at a dead stop and all i had was a scuff on my bumper his hole front end was smashed but over all i had no problems with it even though i got ripped off on the price of it but it is a nice,roomy, comfy car
    Visitor, Rolling Prairie, IN, May 09, 2010 12:23
    I love my Taurus even though sometimes i have to do some repairs to her, she has 265,000 miles on her and she is awesome. I love this car.
    Visitor, Florissant, MO, May 08, 2010 10:45
    I bought this car from Valley Ford in Florissant, and I love it. I've had my car for a little over 3 years and only put 43,000 + miles on it, it came with 19,360 originally. I have the 3.0 Vulcan V6, but it sounds great and is pretty quick, well since I've had a 3 system fuel clean on it. I have'nt had any real problems, probably because no one but me has owned my car, it's a dealer car with options. This car is the only reason I love Ford vehicles! Unfortunately, my first car, a 1997 Mustang Coupe did'nt give me that feel at all, I guess the second time was the charm.
    Visitor, Corbin, KY, April 16, 2010 18:10
    Very reliable car, best car I've ever purchased.
    Visitor, Grand Rapids, MI, April 15, 2010 11:27
    I hate my Taurus. I also own a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee which has 220,000 miles on it and the Jeep gives me FAR less problems.
    Visitor, Fennville, MI, April 14, 2010 14:01
    Had mine for a lot of miles and it still runs great. Probably one of the best cars I've ever owned.
    Visitor, Cottage Grove, WI, April 10, 2010 20:39
    Reliable car, some problems with head lights, check engine light.
    Visitor, Spanish Fork, UT, March 25, 2010 09:36
    I have a 1994 Ford Taurus LX with a 3.8 in it. All I ever hear is complaints against my engine. I'm told most of these engines crap out about 110,000 miles. Mine only has 80,000 but I have had to replace a crap load of parts in it, and doing maintenance on it is a nightmare. Plus the air conditioner is on the very bottom so if you hit it hard enough it craps out on ya and then you have no air conditioner.
    thebear252, Farmville, NC, March 13, 2010 09:39
    car has been a piece of junk since I bought it. on second transmission with a problem on this one. I think it had been wrecked before I bought it at 112,000, but with 174,000 why do I have two transmission problems. Last transmission was used with 50k on it.
    laughingboy73, Las Vegas, NV, March 06, 2010 22:26
    Bought the 2004 se at 47k, absolutely love it. Yes it's plain inside and it's performance is not worth talking about, but it's cheap to run and put some rims on it and it looks great. One thing is the stereo speakers are shit, as usual they aren't good enough for the stereo fitted. I changed them for a minor upgrade and now it's great, clear, good bass. All round this is a great car, I do wish it was RWD, but maybe an upgrade to a SHO for the next one.
    JPlatt, Carrollton, TX, March 03, 2010 06:45
    I bought this 1997 Taurus 7 years ago and now has 202,000 mi still passes Dallas emissions with original catylist converters. When I bought the car I upgraded ball joints, and tie rod ends with Moog suspension parts (best). Always had typical wear items serviced with Ford OEM parts such as fluid changes, brakes, belts, tune ups and batteries. Only two major repairs done with transmission rebuild at 167K mi and fuel pump at 190K mi. Overall this car has been great for our household, one of the more reliable cars out of the five we have. I would probably buy another Taurus again for the family.
    AnyainNH, Wilmot, NH, February 18, 2010 10:31
    I bought my Taurus SEL Wagon new in 2003. I've had no major problems until recently. First the starter made an awful noise once while still under warranty. We could not reproduce until 2yrs ago. The starter which is a sealed unit had a bolt in it. We don't know whether it came from the crankcase or the starter, but we do know it happened on the assembly line. Ford did pay to replace this. Now I have just replaced the crankcase seal which developed a slow but annoying leak after the starter was replaced. Result of the bolt we don't know, but my guess is yes. Other than the fact I got a Monday or Friday car, I completely love this car. Its a tank. It will go anywhere in the winter snow and is very comfortable to drive. If you can find a good one, you can't go wrong.
    Ethan, Stillwater, MN, February 13, 2010 15:42
    2000 FT SE. I bought this car with 249,500 on it for 1000. This has been a somewhat good purchase for the money. However, I wish I would have saved a bit longer to get one with less miles. It also has some hail damage. I checked it over before purchase (especially the tranny) as I've learned the hard way that Ford transmissions can go at any time. I was surprised that a car fax report didn't show a rebuild as the tranny is very solid. I just had both front ball joints replaced, and an issue with the passenger side headlight, $500.00 for that repair. I put Michelin destiny 80,000 mile tires on it, $450.00 for those. I just found out that the oil pan is leaking and needs a new gasket and so do the valve cover gaskets. That will run another $800.00 for that. It also needs inner front tie rod ends, $400.00 for that. All told, I could have bought a much newer taurus for $4000.00 and saved a bunch of time. I'm thinking of trading this in before I get in too deep with repairs. Over all I like the style and power of the taurus, but the taurus costs way to much to maintain. BTW, I have a 1996 FT that has 187,000 on it, and the tranny went on that at 98,000. This will most likely be my last ford purchase.
    rickintenn, Smyrna, TN, January 26, 2010 16:26
    My ratings are based on value which means I'm considering how much I paid for my Taurus in the ratings. I bought my 2007 Taurus SEL two years ago as a program car and bought it right. It was still under warranty; I had several thousand miles of warranty left and did not have to use it. Since I've had it, I have only had to perform routine maintenance. Beyond that I have spent nothing. Many don't like the Taurus; that was good for me because I didn't have to pay a premium price for it. This is among the most reliable cars I've ever owned.
  • 1992 Ford Taurus
    punker, Little Neck, NY, January 10, 2010 10:18
    I bought this car in 2006 with 50k miles.Since then I had to repair something every few months.So far I put an additional 8k miles on the car Now the rear brakes locked and the whole car got real low so I guess that is brakes ,struts and springs . Oh well . It is not a Toyota that's for sure. The person I bought it from took care of the car diligently so it's not like it was neglected. He bought a Toyota and I sold my 1990 Camry after I bought this lemon.
    robert844, Adelanto, CA, November 12, 2009 14:06
    my dad owns a 2003 with the pushrod engine.this is our third taurus.best car the ford ever made.shes got 172000 miles and keeps going.only thing is we had to replace the coil pack and wireset.no biggie $180 bucks for coil pack wires and new plugs.runs like brand new.were looking to buy the SHO.ive driven one and man do they fly.rides like a lincoln.this is just a great car.it gets better milage than my focus.i would definatly buy and recommend this car.oh and another thing is the lights are a little hazy.but hey what can you expect for it to be stored out side for 6 years and driven almost everyday.
    noslenil, Crawfordville, FL, October 31, 2009 15:56
    I just pick up a 2004 Taurus with 24 v DOHC 3.0v6. for 5000$ 66K Miles in excellent condition this will be my 3 Ford Taurus , my first was back in 1990 it was call sable it was my first Front Wheel Drive and I did not change the transmission fluid when I should have and transmission went out at 90,000 miles . I replaced the transmission for about 1,800$ and drove it for another 100,000 . I bought a used 2001 ford ses Taurus it was program car with about 2000 miles . It is now has 200K on it and still runs like a new car . I change oil 3000 miles Transmission fluid every 30K. and I hope it makes 300k my son drives it every day to school . If I get this kind service out of the 2004 Taurus I will be a very happy owner
  • 2009 Ford Taurus
    radargroves, Jasper, AL, July 01, 2009 03:38
    Love this vehicel! Had a 500 before this taurus. The only thing is that here recently the steering wheel is "shuddering" at all speeds, not related to tires, and and has a noise in the front right side. When I took it to the dealer to get the problem corrected, they said there was nothing they could do about it! The car only has 25k miles on it. If they do not correct it I will update who it is so you can avoid the hassle with this dealer!
    jspaldo, Eau Claire, WI, June 22, 2009 04:15
    I have 220,000 miles on this Taurus and I had almost 400,000 miles on my 95 Taurus when I sold it. Total repairs on this one to date (not including oil changes, a battery and tires) are the front tie rod ends and ball joints, and a starter motor. I'm taking it in for some minor overheating, but that's about it. Only irritating item is the "Passenger Door Ajar" signal which sends out false reading for a week at a time once every year or so. Otherwise it's great. And our temps where I live vary from -25 in the winter to 95 in the summer. Heater and A/C are always perfect..
    pburke, Taunton, MA, June 19, 2009 12:29
    i own 2 taurus SE's 2004 (40k) + 2006 (55k). my last car was a honda civic and i had more problems with it than i have with any (6) ford ive ever owned. not that i would never buy a honda again. im just stating my facts. PROS: nice more than adequate engine, spacious, reliable, cheap to repair, insure, maintain. very inexpensive ride. cons: i HATE the brakes on the car. the gas mileage isn't what has ever been advertised. kind of a boring car inside and out.
    bob36, Minot, ND, June 19, 2009 03:52
    we have owned every generation of Taurus built to date. We currently own a 2006 and a 1997. The first one we owned a 1986 GL 3.0l was an Awesome car it had over 360000km on it when we sold it. Continued to run with new owner to nearly 550,000kms and was great on fuel ! did replace trans once but hell it had nerarly 250kms on it when I overhauled it. my 1994 3.8l GL was a let down. the 3.8l engines were terible on fuel and blew head gaskets like crazy. we then bought our 1997 3.0L What a great Car ! currently Running over 275kms on it still the same motor still the same trans and it runs like a top! repairs to date are one idler pully $58 one power window switch thats it thats all ! just regular maintenance. Our 2006 that my wife drives is currently at 80kms and we never had to make one warrenty claim yet! These cars made my 2 over priced honduhs look like piles of garbage. Both of my hondas rusted out both had several warrenty claims and both were cold as witchs tit in winter(the passanger actually had to scrape the windows on the inside as we drove and yes we had numorus thermostates put in). My parrents also drove Taurus and owned 4 of them all had over 300kms or better when sold with little to no issues. My advise to anyone looking at buying a Taurus is get one with a 3.0l engine they run forever and are cheap on fuel. Stay far away from 3.8L equiped fords of any varaity. And for those that bitch about trans failure answer me this did you ever have your fluid changed like you are suposed to ever 48000kms? willing to bet 90% did not. It is the most neglected part for maintenance on a new car. Take it from a auto tech of 14 years. even after 300km plus none of our ford taurus we owned had any cracks in the dash rips in the seats just min ave wear.. wish I could say the same thing about my 2 accords I would not by another honda to save my life !
    cj_mandy, Silverdale, WA, May 06, 2009 09:46
    Bought new taurus in 2004 and drove just about 53000M before the transmission died on me. Spent about $2400 on rebuilt transmission and other stuff. Totally disappointed in ford and will not even consider buying another ford.
    Gwendolyn Williams, Indianapolis, IN, May 05, 2009 11:33
    Body- paint coming off at gas tank, Had a partial paint job about 10 years ago. The rest of car looks good. Interior- the fabric is coming loose at the top of the rear window. The carpet holding up well considering the wear and tear on the car. Brakes-brake light has been coming on for the past year - intermittently. Electrical and lights - My rear turn signals are not working and the lights on the rear are not working. No brake light on the rear driver side. Drive train - no knowledge. No diagnosis of a problem in this area. Exhaust and emissions - have had mufflers replaced at least 4 times. I was told about 8 years ago I needed to have a catalytic converter replaced. Have had no problems to the best of my knowledge. Heating and Air Conditioning. No problem with the heating but - I have not used my A/C since 2000! My car's engine dies when I use my A/C. I have not had a decent diagnosis on why yet. The computer diagnosis was always suggested when I did not have the money to get it done and when the car was running fine, I did not think about it. I got one computer diagnosis and it did not tell me anything of value. And it was not done at a Ford facility. Suspension and Steering - I keep my fluids level and have had no problems in this area. Today I had to replace the rear strut rod and bushings when a piece broke loose, jammed into the wheel and stopped my car. Fortunately I had reached half of my destination and had not picked up the passenger I was to take in for a medical appointment 20 miles away! it cost me $141 for the replacement parts and labor. I don't know what the regular charge is at a Ford dealership but this is what I paid at a brake place. Overall, I love my Taurus and really have not had that much maintenance done on my car. Tires and oil changes have been my most numerous maintenance items. I did have Transmission work twice since I purchased my car in November, 1995 as a retirement gift to myself. This was the newest car I had ever purchased and don't think I will ever buy another one.
    sledge, Phoenix, AZ, April 11, 2009 07:49
    Great Car I have only owned it for six months though it seems to have an ignition switch problem just starting up and and a trans light comes on from time to time I changed the trans fluid but it has not stopped the light
    johnpeek3, Vancouver, WA, April 10, 2009 10:41
    I purchased my Ford Taurus two years ago. At the time it had 93000 miles on it. After driving it off the dealers lot (it was a new car dealership)the service engine soon light came on. I returned it to the dealer and after some convincing they agreed to replace the exhaust monitoring chip which would have costed $68.00. Last year on the way down to California the front seal went on the automatic transmission. I found out that the engine had to be removed in order to repair this $2.00 part (labor costs $1,300.00).It is now sitting in my driveway with a power-steering pump leaking.(repair est. $275.00)
  • 1990 Ford Taurus
    italiohombre1, Dallas, TX, February 23, 2009 21:02
    I purchased a 1990 Ford Taurus about 10 years ago, while I was a college student. It had a 128K at the time. They kept telling that the trany would go out soon. We drained all of the tranny fluid. Consequently, it has faithfully performed through the last two years of my university education, hauled my three children to their variuos events, and taken us on various important family events. Apart from having to paint it again, and replacing the CV joints, I have noticed no problems with the drive train. With a total of 228K, I think that it has done an excellent job for a 19 year old car. It proves that if you change the engine oil, and maintain all of the fluids to their correct level, a vehicle can outlast even the best of them. Strangely enough, I can keep up with the Lexus, Jags, and BMW's in the Dallas traffic. I'm sure that they make fun of my car, but who cares. I'm not the one making those big payments. I'm will continue to drive that little Taurus. It has proven to me to be a great car. D. Candioto Dallas, TX.
    jhackney11, Elkhorn City, KY, February 23, 2009 07:34
    I bought my Taurus with around 70k miles on it and I have loved it apart from a major problem with the Transmission. It seems that these cars were built to go for not much more than 130k miles. Other than the I still own i and love it. I would recommend it to anyone.
    rpal, Roseville, MI, January 27, 2009 13:55
    junk
    surpluswealth, Erie, PA, January 20, 2009 14:21
    Brought this car for college son with 60k on it. Now 3+ years later 130k on it. First 2 years ,no problems. Third year ,a money pit. replace front/rear struts springs,brakes twice,power stering pump. Spoke with seveal amchanics and all state this is a trouble free car until 125-150K. It wasn't sdesigned to go beyond 150K,all mechanics agree to get rid of it soon or it will cost you more money.Son graduates in May 09 and will trade in on a 2 year old Fusion.
    4wheeler, Emeryville, CA, January 02, 2009 14:50
     Technician
    I bought my Ford Taurus from my Grandma with low miles (60K in a 10-year-old car). Ford replaced her head gaskets and transmission at around 30,000 miles. Aside from those major failures, nothing else really failed on the car that wasn't normal wear and tear. The wheel cylinders were replaced once (leaks), and the tie-rods became loose so those were replaced as well. I have to say I love Ford's burn me/freeze me settings for the heater/AC.
    pistei, Leland, NC, October 20, 2008 10:43
    great car. have always love the taurus/sables. faithful performances.
    shy, Cypress, TX, October 19, 2008 11:38
    I've had my Taurus since Sept,2000. I love this car. Have had some suspension problems,and keep having them,but this little six cyl. really has spunk. Off the line she's pretty quick but if you have to "stomp-on-it"she'll do 110mph no problem.
    violinii, Pasadena, TX, September 01, 2008 12:28
    I have put 100k miles on this car in just over 5 years. The only concern I have had is that the transmission fell out at 96k. Otherwise, it's been a very comfortable car to drive with no major concerns. The a/c continues to blow extremely cold, even in Texas!