Reviews for Ford Ranger years:

Ford Ranger Reviews and Owner Comments

Ford RangerOwner Reviews (73 reviews)
    Visitor, Brookville, IN, February 01, 2014 09:53
    I have a 2001 ranger with a 2.3 and it has 312,000 miles on it . never anything major done to it . just normal fixes . drive it 145 miles everyday . uses no oil . still get average of 28 mpg . very pleased
    Visitor, Palatka, FL, January 21, 2014 03:31
    At nearly 218,000 miles the truck has been fantastic. 2.5 liter 4 with a 5 speed transmission. Got the truck used in Feb 2004 with around 73K on it. The previous owner kept it up very well and so we have continued. It's been across half the USA and back with minimal issues. It has always gotten us home or there with no problem. Regular oil changes and trips to the mechanic keep it on the road far cheaper than a car payment. I use it daily and have zero worries heading off on a road trip. I'm just sorry Ford stopped making these great little trucks.
    Visitor, Mount Airy, MD, June 08, 2013 06:33
    A week ago I would have given my truck a 4 star rating across the board. I bought it in '02 and it now has 157,000 fairly trouble free miles. Only money I put into this truck was an alternator and basic wear outs such as tires and brakes. But last week I took my truck into my mechanic to replace squeaky leaf spring bushing, they were driving me nuts. He called me in to have a look and to my horror I saw 2 leaf springs that were completely rusted out, one actually detached. Considering I had just pulled our pop-up 200 miles at 65 MPH it was clear that I could have been killed. Mechanic said this is a problem with Rangers, apparently the design leads to mud caking above the springs and the moisture eventually causes this much corrosion. If you are looking to buy one used, and I may be doing just that as I can't afford the Japanese alternatives, look very closely underneath.
    Visitor, Marysville, OH, June 05, 2013 17:29
    This is 2013 and I've got a 1996 Ranger with 98,000 miles on my ranger that I purchased new. I'm a very easy driver and fix things on the spot without fail, when it's time to be serviced it gets it. it has been garaged many years and I've found that it's a heap of rust especially from the mid point of the body and frame back to the tailgate. I've put bearings, calipers, disks, lines, hoses master cylinder and spindles on this truck twice once at 15000 and then at 75000 miles. The drivetrain is so as long as you have a long ramp to shoot down to get on the interstate. The Wipers, warning chimes, radio come on and go off anytime without me doing anything,. The radio button does not shut off and the fan switch only works in the high setting. The air conditioner was serviced twice replacing more then half of the parts, and it stopped totally at 69,000 miles. I've replaced the entire power steering system. Now the engine check light is on and the fuel neck is cracked from age. I've used FORD Dealers on at least 75% of the time and always use new parts. I pray that the neighbors tree would fall on it so the insurance would get me something better. Truly this is a (F)ound (O)n (R)oad (D)ead
    Visitor, Dayton, NV, April 07, 2013 17:38
    [DaytonCarCare] I've owned many cars, mostly German, and a few trucks. My first Ranger was a bare bones 94 Reg cab with 5 speed manual and the little 2.3L 4 cylinder. Too little power and felt like a tin can to drive in. Soon sold it and now have a 94 Supercab XLT 4x4 with the 4.0 OHV. Great truck, weak point is the auto locking front hubs that are prone to fail. I upgraded to manual locking ones. The 4x4 version feels like driving a luxury car compared to the base model economy version reg cab 2.3. So far installed a bed tonneau cover and a 5 channel amp, 12" sub and new HU stereo. Everything is great on it except I'd like to have cruise control and powered locks since I installed an alarm with remote for that option. Gas mileage isn't bad with the 4.0 if you keep your foot away from the floor. I average about 20 mpg with city/hwy combined. It could use rear disc brakes, but I understand you can do a swap with an Explorer for that. Also recommend replacing the front ball joints if a lot of miles on them. Also no ignition cap n rotor to worry about replacing since it has a DIS (distributorless ignition system with coil pack). Additionally I was surprised the AC still worked. I just did a DIY can of R134 and it's blowing cold again. And the heater works very well. I never have to turn it up more than at halfway point, and I live were it snow and gets in the 20s at times in the winter. I thought the water pump was failing, but a new thermostat and coolant stop leak additive did the trick. New parts are easy to find and very affordable. Not something I could brag about with my previous German made cars.
    Visitor, Anoka, MN, March 10, 2013 07:31
    I HAVE ONLY 48,500 MILES ON MY 2003 RANGER XLT AND I HAVE HAD TO REPLACE CAD.CONVERTER AND NOW UPPER AND LOWER BALL JOINTS. I THINK FORD DID NOT HAVE A GOOD IDEA WITH THIS TRUCK. BALL JOINTS SHOULD LAST 100,000 MILES AND CAD. CONVERTER FOR EVER. I WILL DRIVE HER TILL SHE FALLS APART AND AFTER THAT I AM A CHEVY MAN
    Visitor, Montgomery, AL, January 19, 2013 08:45
    I have replaced the alternator, batterie and starter and the only way can start it is by jumping it off. I am not sure what can be the problem.
    Visitor, Independence, MO, November 20, 2012 20:51
    extremely great truck im the third owner of mine truck can handle every thing i throw at it ive hualed 9 tuns with it
    rangerman94, Scranton, PA, August 06, 2012 14:24
    my 1994 ranger is my first vehicle and is easy to repair. it's very fun to drive, and the 4 wheel drive works perfectly. it's good to drive in the city and rural areas. the a/c does not work, but the heater always does, although there is not muck airflow coming out of the vents. otherwise, i love it and it's the only vehicle i want to drive. it has 200,87 miles on the odometer and is still going strong. i hope to drive it for a long time.
    Visitor, Kenner, LA, June 06, 2012 16:22
    I have a 1992 ford ranger bought new, I am the original owner. It has 155000 miles on it and has been extremely dependable. Don`t think i will ever sell it.
  • 2009 Ford Ranger
    Visitor, Belington, WV, April 19, 2012 08:23
    I have an 09 ford Ranger. I have had multiple problems with the heat blender door becoming stuck. Now this usually happens on the heat side which in winter is not a problem, but now that warmer weather is here it sucks, can not run a/c. Is this a common problem and does anyone know a way of changing the blender door with out having to remove the interior dash components?
    RangerPhil, Linden, NJ, March 26, 2012 16:18
    I recently bought a 2004 Ford Ranger V6 with 95,000 miles on it. The engine light came on and it was the 4th cylinder. The cylinder was replaced and so were the wires. A week or two later, the service light comes on again. It is reading the 4th cylinder again. P0304 code == cylinder 4 misfire. Also 6.1 & 6.9 showed... It is a 3.0 engine. I read that it probably should have a compression test done. Any one have this problem or any suggestions?
    Visitor, Bardstown, KY, March 10, 2012 19:19
    Just got my ranger 2 weeks ago, love it. My first new truck was a 94 ranger reg cab, 4cyl 5sp, this 1 is a 4.0 5sp ext cab. Just put a waterpump on yesterday, not a bad job, runs great for the mileage, 210,710 miles. Got a few things i need 2 do 2 make better, fix leak in rear of cab, take old tint off windows, etc. Overall it's an awesome truck and hope it lasts a long time
  • 1997 Ford Ranger
    Visitor, Deltona, FL, January 24, 2012 10:39
    I drive my 97 Ranger nearly 70 mile a day just going and coming from work. Almost 250,000 miles on it now and it got it first fluid leak from the heater control valve. Replaced it for less than $15 and topped off the radiator and I am back in business. And I have abused this thing going without oil changes, never changing the gear box and rear end lube. I might have to spoil it some and get that done.
    RALPH ISABELLA, Oakwood, GA, December 23, 2011 10:14
    I HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH BUCKING AND SURGING. GRAGE IS UNABLE TO PICK UP CODE. WE HAVE REPLACED MAS AND COMPUTER.STILL HAVING PROBLEMS.CAN ANYONE HELP.MY EMAIL IS RJI23@AOL.COM
    Visitor, Oakwood, GA, December 16, 2011 09:29
    THIS TRUCK HAS 95000 MILES. WAS RUNNING REAL GOOD. IT STARTED BUCKING AT ABOUT 45 ON UP. THEN WHEN YOU CAME TO A STOP IT STARTED TO SURGE.ALSO SURGED IN PARK. BEEN TO GRAGE SEVERAL TIMES AND CAN'T SEEM TO FIND PROMBLES. NO CODES. REPLACE VACUME HOSES AND MAS.ANYONE CAN HELP I WOULD BE GRATEFUL.OUT OF WORK AND CAN'T SPEND ALOT MORE.THANK YOU
  • 1993 Ford Ranger
    Visitor, Tampa, FL, December 05, 2011 11:31
    this truck is a 93 - 2.3 eng. 5 speed. IT JUST WONT QUIT. Had minor problems with mis-fire, sensors, etc, but all in all it just gets up and goes. I found using iridium plugs and hi-test gas- full synthetic oil and regular maint will keep it running forever. I now have 202,000 miles. I also changed the trans fluid from dexmerc to LUCAS Gear Oil and Also the differential. AT 70mph on the interstate it gets 26 mpg... Well what do you want from 100 hp.. This truck has caused me NO headaches -- unlike my wife... Take care of it and it will take you right through social security
    Visitor, Fayetteville, NC, October 12, 2011 12:38
    I have a 98 Ford Ranger, 5 speed MT. When first started, the engine runs fine, but after the engine heats up a bit, it will peg out. This is really noticeable when at a stop light with the clutch depressed. It will run at max RPM's for a while and then suddenly drop off to nornmal. Once the light turns green though, the trouble returns. The only recourse I have is to put it in 5th gear and almost bog the engine down. I've replaced every vacuum related part, springs and even adjusted the idle to as low as I could get and still maintain the engine running.. I have been told that the Fan clutch is failing and should replace it, but this couldn't be the problem, could it?
    Visitor, Kent, WA, October 06, 2011 21:20
    I have a 1992 ranger that I bought back in 1994 with about 65,000miles. It now has approx 326,000 miles on a 2.3L 4cyl engine. The best ford product I've ever owned..Great little truck. Replaced 2 alternators, 1 starter, a couple of clutches, couple of tune-up's and I recently replaced the body cab mounts. You would never tell that this little guy has over 300,000miles because it rides very smooth and is solid as a rock. Paint is getting some what faded but other than that, it's a great little pickup. I drive this little guy every day to and from work. I'm getting ready to do another tune-up very soon. still doesn't burn a bit of oil. It's amazing! I've been using full syntetic oil for the last 3 years as well. Highly recommended! I've heard that these pickups have gone as far as 1 million miles on these engines...simply amazing! Regards, Dan
    Visitor, Galion, OH, July 27, 2011 12:25
    I have a 1995 ford ranger that we bought about 8 years ago, and it now has around 260,000 miles. It has been running fine, but lately I cannot get it out of park if the truck id running, but in a certain key position when the truck is off it will shift fine but wont start. Does anyone know of what i need to replace to fix this problem? Already tried the ignition switch and there was no luck there. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    sugarfoot, Gibsonville, NC, July 16, 2011 05:53
    2002ford ranger xlt,has gold color with metal flakes in paint with chrome alond the bottom of cab and ddoor and bed. it has a bed liner and a great sound system. the interior is in excellent shape with non smoking .
    Visitor, Louisville, KY, June 13, 2011 19:28
    well i've not had much trouble with mine at all in the last 6 yrs, gave $100.00 for it when i bought it, and been good to me since :)
  • 2011 Ford Ranger
    Visitor, Duncansville, PA, June 10, 2011 21:23
    brand spanking new truck and rt front turnsignal dont work. bad multifunction switch . vehicle has 6 miles on the odometer.
    lilrad727, Clearwater, FL, May 16, 2011 12:55
    So far so good, a/c is being repaired today. The evaporator has gone bad.
    Visitor, North Charleston, SC, May 10, 2011 07:16
    I've had this truck since 1996 with 43,505 miles at the time. Now it has over 283,000 miles on the original 2.3 Liter engine. I've had the manual tranny overhauled at about 220,000 miles in 2003 and it's been taking a licking and keep on ticking. Never could get the A/C system up 100 percent but the heater puts out great heat. In my book, Ford rocks. This truck is one tough cookie. I've only had to replace parts on it for normal wear and tear like the starter five years ago, the alternator two years ago, water pump two years ago, radiator four years ago and heater core about three years ago. I have no complaints about it. I'm glad I bought a Ford. Can't beat 'em in my opinion.
    Samsonite79, San Francisco, CA, May 03, 2011 18:38
     Technician
    Great junk hauler! wish it was more reliable...
    Visitor, Milford, PA, May 02, 2011 07:47
    225,000 miles and can,t bitch. Did the brakes once, clutch twice because of a defective slave cylinder. Replaced the thermostat, that was a shocker $225 and ball joints once. Still has original alt., water pump, battery. I do oil and fluid changes on a regular basis.
    Visitor, Shelbyville, IL, April 09, 2011 20:37
    I own a 2001 Ford Ranger XLT and for the most part I've been happy with it until recently. I've had to have most of the entire front end steering and suspension replaced in it just after 50,000 miles and now it's developed an engine miss. Had it tuned up with new plugs, wires and a fuel filter and it ran great for about 4 days and now it's back to the same thing. The AM/FM CD Radio in these things are pretty worthless to say the least. Got a CD stuck in the player and finally had it removed by an ASE Ford Tech and now it does'nt work at all. But for the most part, I'm happy with it. You get what you pay for, and FORD is #1 in my book.
    Visitor, Monroe, CT, March 07, 2011 09:08
    I've owned my XL 2.3L 5 speed since it was 2 yrs old with 9k miles. It's now 9 yrs old with 70k miles and has only needed a tune-up and oil changes. Works great, fantastic gas mileage, and still have the original battery!
    PITT1, Coraopolis, PA, January 28, 2011 12:05
    This truck has had a transmission leak at 22,000 miles and an oil leak now at 53,000 miles. The brakes are terrible especially the rear. They tend to lock up when cold and wet. I have the 3.0 6 cly and the gas milage is awful. This will be my first and last Ford truck.
    Visitor, Winder, GA, January 12, 2011 19:00
    my ranger has 307,765 miles on it and purrs like a kitten. What a machine
  • 1993 Ford Ranger
    Visitor, Garden Grove, CA, December 27, 2010 21:10
    Great little pickup and fun to drive in the dirt.
  • 1999 Ford Ranger
    carxman, Cincinnati, OH, December 27, 2010 16:09
    have had very good service from this 2wd 3.0L flex fuel vehicle
    Visitor, San Francisco, CA, December 10, 2010 00:31
    For 3.0 engines replace the camshaft position sensor [Part Number: 6B288 (DU-81)] and camshaft camshaft synchronizer [Part Number: DA-2089] every 75K to 90K. This is basic preventative maintenance since these parts are known to go out at that range. If you neglect to do so it will destroy the engine when it fails.
    Visitor, Colorado Springs, CO, December 01, 2010 20:01
    Currently very happy with my little ranger nothing special paint is on the rather sad side but motor and tranny are excellent the truck currently has 197000 miles on it but to drive it you would not know it. I have had only one problem with the truck and that was the dam squirels eating up some of the wiring in which was a hell of a stunt but it lives on!!!
  • 2008 Ford Ranger
    Visitor, Merced, CA, November 23, 2010 12:07
    I got my 2008 Ranger XLT Super cab. A great truck until yesterday at 81k miles the engine starting making a rattling noise. I took a closer look and come to find out it is the bearing for the fan clutch shaft. That means that the whole front cover of the engine needs to be replaced. I can't see how this could be since the first tune up is at 100k. this should not happen. I'm not a happy camper in having to spend this kind of money on a truck that hasn't even reached the first tune up mark. The last ranger had a 2.5 lt engine with no problems like this.
    Visitor, Pittsburgh, PA, November 16, 2010 10:52
    This truck was my 16th birthday present. So far my father has been adding parts to it to give it more of a teen look. I have added new rims, a fin, dual exhausts, and i am thinking of adding a hood scoop. If anyone has any ideas for this truck please contact me through e-mail.
    enentrup, Indianapolis, IN, September 25, 2010 05:27
    I bought my 1990 Ranger in 2009, in Columbus, IN for $1000. It's a bit of a rust bucket, but runs INCREDIBLY smooth, even on the highway. Honestly, it's the best value vehicle I've ever owned (and the other car is an Infiniti!). I've spent less than $500 in repairs/upgrades in the 1.5 years I've been driving it, but know fully well it's an OLD TRUCK. Still...I'd buy it again in a heartbeat, and plan to do so via craigslist when this one konks out.
    Visitor, Sumter, SC, September 19, 2010 16:27
    I HAVE HAD THIS TRUCK FOR TEN YEARS,305,000 MILES AND STILL RUNNING STRONG
  • 2006 Ford Ranger
    redranger, Mount Bethel, PA, September 19, 2010 10:54
    My 2006 Ranger XLT 5-speed needed a new driveshaft at 90000 miles, then a broken valve spring necessitated further repair. The vehicle is running well at present, no problems. I bought it used and have no idea how the previous owner treated it. The AC is fine, the heater works well, and the truck seems to be built very strongly. It does ride somewhat hard, but some weight in the back might improve this. I plan to keep the truck indefinitely.
  • 2006 Ford Ranger
    Visitor, Mount Bethel, PA, September 19, 2010 10:42
    This Ranger XLT 5-speed needed a new driveshaft at 90,000 miles, then a broken valve spring necessitated further repair. The vehicle is running well at present--I bought it used thus have no knowledge of how the previous owner treated it. It seems to be built very strongly but does ride hard. Perhaps some weight in the back would help. The truck has plenty of power (4.0 engine) but gas mileage is only 20. The AC is good, heat fine, overall I like it and plan to keep it indefinitely
    LPKMACH1, Winterport, ME, September 06, 2010 13:38
    This is my second Ranger, I love it , it is a 2002 Ranger Edge Plus , 3.0 , auto, loaded, Chrome yellow , standerd cab , 4X4 . My truck looks brand new ! People always ask me if it is new , I wash it every day & do all the required maintenance .It has had only Castrol Syntec oil & changed every 4,000 miles. I had Shelby & Mustang show cars so it is a love of mine to keep it in pristine condition . The only complaint is the gas millage , the best I ever was to get out of it was 24mpg on 1 occasion but everyday is only 18mpg. I have had no repairs in 66,000 miles . I would & will buy another. Too bad they took away the Edge package .
    Visitor, Enid, OK, August 20, 2010 15:05
    Great Truck 2002 ext. cab with TREMOR package on it. Bought it new. Looks better with a complete THUNDERBOLT package on it. With the installation of a explorer bucket seats and center console. All it lacks is a 4.6L heart transplant !!
    Visitor, Riverside, CA, August 15, 2010 00:09
    secure rear window, easy break in point, no alarm
    Jon O, Long Beach, CA, August 14, 2010 17:19
    I bought a '96 3 ltr super cab ranger with about 170,000kms on it. Ran great, One problem with the wipers, they just start up on their own, especially in hot weather. Also an issue with washboard. Nearly had a head on with a grader at a highway bridge repair site. Like one of the other reviews, it was like the back end just jumped sideways! But alas I ran it out of oil and siezed the engine. Some rust, windshield is cracked and 4 tires needed, so its scrapped! I'm still in grief over it. I'm looking at an '04 with a 4 liter, but would prefer a smaller engine. Hard to find here. I'm not from Californis, but Manitoba Canada. It was the only zip code I knew! ha
    Visitor, Greencastle, PA, August 12, 2010 14:36
    I own the 2.3L 5 sp stripped down model, Mine sat for a few years and I had to replace the seals on the tranmission, but it otherwise has had no problems since. I put 20K miles on it in about the first 8 months. Parts are fairly priced, and I have yet to find anything that is difficult to get to, I got ahold of a turbo coupe engine to put in it. I couldnt really ask for something more simple and reliable. No rust problems, at 160K miles I replaced the serpentine belt, took all of 5 minutes, transmission can come out in about an hour and a half for clutch replacement. Brake caliper went out recently but at 165K miles, something is bound to go, it was only about 20 dollars to replace that. Did I mention I get 28+ MPG out of mine? The perfect first time, or small truck for anyone.
    Visitor, Tamassee, SC, July 31, 2010 22:06
    I bought my ranger 2004 FX4 xlt 5 speed manual 4.0 new and she has not missed a beat! The only maintenance items I have had to do was replace an O ring in the thermostat housing. I have just went over 192000 miles. My truck stills starts every time and does not seem to have lost any power. I would not hesitate to take he on accross country.
    dirtycop, Waynesburg, PA, July 23, 2010 13:22
    changed the motor in my ford ranger almost done with it but the gas line is confusing a weird bracket that holds the line together is holding me up any one kno a way to seperate the lines????
    Visitor, Columbus, OH, July 17, 2010 12:16
    After 15 years of owning a 1995 ranger that I bought new, I just got a new 2010 ranger. I never even bothered to look at any other type of car or truck because there was nothing better then my 95 ranger. One hell of a truck, never let me sit. Many folks I work with also are proud owner's of ranger's, there bulletproof, and you can run the hell out of them!
    Visitor, Lawrenceville, GA, July 09, 2010 10:20
    95 Ranger 3.0L V6 Splash: This was my 16th birthday present (yes, I was that guy). I'm in my 30s now, and I just drove that same truck to and from work. 16 years and 240,000 miles later, and she turns over every single time. Over those years, I've replaced the master cylinder, alternator, radiator, in addition to standard maintenance (tires, brakes, belt, shocks, etc). The transmission is slowly dying, but I'm busting my hump to keep it anyway. Say what you want about toyota cars, I'd trust a Ranger over any of them any day. Not the most comfy ride, not the best mileage all the time, and not a heavy duty truck, but you can do most of the maintenance on it yourself (unlike those fancy foreign cars), and it won't let you down. I've even been in a couple of decent collisions with it (when I was young) and never had to replace anything that wasn't crushed in the crash. It kept me and my passengers very safe every time - only some seatbelt bruising. I will say - at some point, the A/C will go out because of a poorly designed blend door axle (there's a free easy fix online), and cat. converters are expensive to replace on my model. Also, northern owners will eventually need to replace some undercarraiage parts, but that's typical. Finally, there have been a couple of electrical shorts that caused the dome light and chime to run (I just snipped the appropriate wire in the door), and I had to repair both power window motors at some point. However, when you compare those costs to the costs of new car payments or foreign repair jobs, the truck wins every time. Frankly, I think everyone should own this truck.
    91dangeranger, Stanfield, NC, June 24, 2010 09:53
    great little truck for a four banger has pretty good power and i was also given the truck for free
    Visitor, Wisconsin Rapids, WI, June 16, 2010 06:03
    Good little truck with a big heart.I pulled a 28 ft trailer with it for 10 yrs haulin scrap metals does a wonderful job still.
    Visitor, Green Bay, WI, June 15, 2010 08:26
    Bullet proof. 161k miles and original clutch. 24mpg. burns no oil. Broken leaf spring, drive shaft harmonizer,and air flow sensor is all that has broken. Awesome truck!
    Visitor, Sour Lake, TX, June 13, 2010 15:46
    I own a 1994 Ford Ranger XLT extended cab. i bught it in 1999 with 110k miles on it. i'm the 4th owner so i cant say how the other three drove it, after 50k miles i had to replace clutch and tranny. at 200k the catalytic converter split down the seam so i had to replace it also. i've gottin almost 300k miles on the original motor. i call it my MPDR (multi purpose danger ranger) . most reliable truck i've ever driven. i would recommend this truck to anyone that is looking for dependabilty.
    Visitor, Franklin, GA, June 08, 2010 07:22
    I have a 1996 Ford Ranger with 251,000 miles. Had it for about ten years now and had to replace the engine about 30k miles ago. Besides that, nothing but normal maintenance has been done to the truck. I have added aftermarket lights in the front and rear and that's about it. It is a great truck that gets me about 26 mpg. I work for a Chevrolet dealership and would buy any Ford Ranger over a Chevy because of it's durablity, great looks, and it's a fun truck to drive. Well, unless you're going up a steep hill.
  • 1999 Ford Ranger
    Visitor, Berlin, NH, June 06, 2010 17:48
    I just bought my 1999 Ranger 2WD with 99,000 miles, 2 months ago.. It is the bare-bones model, total stripped, a 5 speed with no options, the former owner installed the am/fm cd radio. Vehicle runs great, great on gas, and no complaints at this point in time!
    Visitor, Louann, AR, June 01, 2010 12:15
    i have a 1992 ford ranger 3.0L automactic and the number 3 injector is not firing what can i do to make it fire
    Visitor, Clarksville, TN, April 22, 2010 20:35
    The body has stood the test of time as one of my favorites. I'm not a fan of the round body style currently used. The interior gets less than 5 stars because the drivers side seat is lop sided sloping towards the door. The passenger side front brake hose collapsed on me the first day I had the truck, causing the caliper to seize up. Fixed for less than $20, but still unexpected. The drive train for a 19 year old truck is very strong for a 2.3L and I would recommend this vehicle as a first driver for any parents with teen drivers. Be mindful of these areas I'm commenting on though. Electrical and lights hold up well but the temperature gauge never leaves cold. It does move but not much. The tach has also shown spikes from time to time, when the engine was at idle at a traffic light. The engine runs solid but the starter is very noisy upon engagement. I may just have a localized problem due to a recent clutch replacement. Always check all bolts and the direction of your flywheel. Exhaust and emissions are on the mark, I have driven behind this truck and smelled no fumes, seen no smoke. The heat doesn't get really hot, its just tolerable so that you don't freeze. The AC doesn't work at all due to Compressor lock up. Only $230 to replace components and get AC back online. Suspension at 137k has to be looked at. I replaced all 4 shocks and now have a solid ride on the interstate. Something to keep in mind. I hope this review helps others in their search for a second vehicle or their very first.
    JAMES STRAND, Selden, NY, April 03, 2010 07:10
    Bought used in 2003, has not had to have any major repairs. The air conditioner pully has been replaced, because it screamed after rusting. The only shot I can take at it is the door lock/unlock switches, well they just always need to be fixed. The Orange color is very rare where I live, I have only seen one Mazda, the sister truck in the same color. It is very noticeable.
    OutcastDD, Ellsworth, ME, March 28, 2010 13:34
    I purchased the 1994 Ranger XLT Super Cab 4.0 4x4, used, at a year old. Best truck or car I have ever owned. Very reliable. The first 13 years I've owned the Ranger I only had to replace the water pump, brakes, tires and battery. I owned this truck for 15 years and it always started. It never let me down. This 94 Ranger was the best rated pickup in Consumer Reports back in 1995. I am very happy with my Ranger.
    Jimbeau, Recluse, WY, January 06, 2010 01:33
    This is a review of a 2004 XLT 4x4. With one big exception (for those who drive off-road or on rough gravel), this is a great pick-up. It runs well, drives good (except on studder bumps/washboard), handles just about anything you throw at it, is solid and dependable. For me the "fishtailing" was a huge concern -- since I drive on 35 miles of gravel on a daily basis. When the bed is unloaded, the truck is virtually impossible to handle when you drive across washboard. I know because this fishtailing action caused a roll-over. I was driving about 40-45 mph when I came across a section of dirt/gravel road which was rough (some people call it washboard, some studder bumps). The rear of the truck whipped around so quickly I couldn't make a correction....it felt as if a giant took ahold of the rear end and whipped it around; like the tailgate was trying to pass the hood. The truck slid into a ditch then rolled (from wheels to roof to wheels). Thankfully, I was belted in. The result is a tribute to the sturdy build of this little truck. The engine continued to run, all the lights worked (including dome -- even though the passenger side roof was crushed against the head rest) and the radio was still playing --- it was if nothing happened. I got my senses, retrieved all the stuff which flew out of the cab then drove on into work. Yes, after rolling this truck, I drove almost 40 miles to work. The truck didn't sputter, rattle, shake or shimmy....it continue to run great! The only "injury" I sustained was a tiny piece of glass in the top of my head.....no cuts or bruises! Amazing! Thank God. If you avoid washboard (or keep a couple hundred pounds in the bed), then you'll be happy with this pick-up. I highly recommend it.
    danelanne, Pana, IL, December 22, 2009 16:10
    2000 XLT 4x4 sport-Ford made these trucks nice!Strong,and dependable.Mine has over 100.000 miles and uses no oil.I have had very little done to it so far.GOOD TRUCK! ! !
    Its_Pops, Carmel, IN, October 20, 2009 10:47
    I love my no frills 2000 Ranger. Just shy of 100K miles,nothing beats it for dependability. I travel for my job almost exclusively by air so this is my airport utility truck. It's always great to see it there in the parking lot after a long trip! Terrific to have for light hauling. At times I'm the most popular guy in the neighborhood as I loan it frequently to friends. Every man should have a truck and my little no frills Ranger is my third (and favorite) one. It's terrific. Bought it used 4 years ago and $0 have gone to repairs.
    mrjed58, White Lake, MI, September 22, 2009 10:50
    I've got a 1995 Ford Ranger 4x4 ext cab w/4.0 6cyl, I love it it has 169000 miles and run's great,the only problems i've had were leaf spring brackets rusting out,and had to replace the gas tank filler hose,the bodys in great shape beside's some small door dings from moron's parking to close,I'll give it a 10+,oh ya it's a fast little truck too it's got the Mazda zoom zoom motor!!
    raymassey.us, Nashua, NH, July 07, 2009 10:09
    1995 XLT 4x4 SWB. 14 years and 146,000 miles and runs great. There have been minor repairs and maintenance items and 1 transmission rebuilt for $1200 (or 3 car payments) but has been great overall. I have used it to pull my travel trailer around the country with no problems. Check my website and you'll see. (www.raymassey.us)I plan on keeping it for at least another 10 years. It has stood up well to winters in the Northeast. AC blows cold, everything works still. It is nothing fancy but solid and reliable. I have trusted it to carry me and my travel trailer around the country, traveling daily and not spending every day in an RV park. The paint is still good and I get still get a lot of compliments on it. This gray one is not mine. Not sure how to change it yet.
    bryandhispup, Independence, MO, June 20, 2009 12:12
    I like my 2wd ranger and feel like it will go anywhere, except MUD and SNOW. there is no positrac, or limited slip type of engineering so you will spin and spin. BUT summer time, Hauling, towing, and camping at the lake... PERFECT. Mine even used to pull a small gooseneck goat/pig/sheep trailer.
    Conn52, Homosassa, FL, May 30, 2009 13:22
    We bought this used in 2003 and really like the truck, even though we've had a few problems. The transmission was replaced prior to us buying it according to our Carfax report. It has had a few problems with the oil pressure sending unit, egr, dpf sensor (the check engine light came on each time)around 110,000 miles. Blower motor for heat/AC went bad at 115,000 miles: Last year the steering wheel shaft completely snapped-couldn't steer (thank goodness it happened when we were leaving our driveway!)-also, clock spring broke at the same time. But, for over a year and a half now-now problems-just maintanence. Don't think we would buy this particular truck again-maybe an F-150 next time .
    Teddybare, Arroyo Grande, CA, May 06, 2009 09:32
    I have 250,000 hard miles on my Ranger and it is still going strong. I had to replace the transmission after I had Jiffy Lube "force flush" it. Jiffy Lube never admitted any responsibility. Many knowledgeable Air-conditioning people have stopped "force flushing". It is a bit under-powered especially when climbing significant grades. 90% of the driving has been in Los Angeles with biannual trips to Lake Tahoe. It still gets 17 to 20 MPG.
    CJDude, Columbus, GA, March 04, 2009 06:59
    I've been given my 03' Ford Ranger for my graduation present, and because I wrecked it once... This truck rules! whether it be recreation, business, or even the common race "caugh", my Ford Ranger has survived! Though an engine squeak or holler here and there. It gets whatever the job is done.
    CRZYLCPL, Crp Christi, TX, February 10, 2009 05:39
    Great Truck! I even fixed some things the wrong way and the truck runs like a champ. Easy to work on, cheap parts! Great economical Truck with good reliability.
    Andy Y, Oakland, CA, January 16, 2009 16:12
    This truck was damn near bullet proof. I kept up with the oil and coolant changes and air filters it never had any problems. I had the 3.0L V6 with the automatic transmission... it felt a little underpowered but it was dependable. It always had that power steering whine but my old Taurus did too. I sold it with 190,000 miles on the clock and it was still going strong, passed smog no problem when sold.
    hemicuda, San Mateo, CA, December 29, 2008 09:38
    Always used Ford Rangers for delivery trucks, Can't beat them. Tried to use Toyotas but they demand a premium price so we stuck with Rangers very reliable.
    Nadia Gettit, Aspen, CO, October 22, 2008 15:28
    Truck has relatively low miles. It is used for highway travel to our cabin. The last four miles is on a rough road, so the ball joints are starting to fail. The clutch slave cylinder was just replaced, along with new tires, and a new windshield. New front brake pads have also been installed.