Ford Ranger Reviews

Ford Ranger Reviews and Owner Comments

Currently have 185k miles on my 2WD,2.3L. 5 spd stick, standard cab Ford Ranger. Had 136 k on it in 2013 and drove from WA State to Deadhorse,AK (5 miles from the Arctic Ocean) and back. At Tok Junction ,AK drove onto the scales at 5180 GVW. Got 29.5 MPG from Fairbanks to Seattle ! Ford needs to start building these again.
I own a 98 ranger extended cab stepside 4x4 xlt it has the 3.0 with 200,000 miles and still runs like a champ. but recently just found out rear leaf spring bracket broke and poked a hole in the bed and that is the only problem I have had. I would recommend this truck to anyone.
I have a 2001 ranger with a 2.3 and it has 312,000 miles on it . never anything major done to it . just normal fixes . drive it 145 miles everyday . uses no oil . still get average of 28 mpg . very pleased
At nearly 218,000 miles the truck has been fantastic. 2.5 liter 4 with a 5 speed transmission. Got the truck used in Feb 2004 with around 73K on it. The previous owner kept it up very well and so we have continued. It's been across half the USA and back with minimal issues. It has always gotten us home or there with no problem. Regular oil changes and trips to the mechanic keep it on the road far cheaper than a car payment. I use it daily and have zero worries heading off on a road trip. I'm just sorry Ford stopped making these great little trucks.
A week ago I would have given my truck a 4 star rating across the board. I bought it in '02 and it now has 157,000 fairly trouble free miles. Only money I put into this truck was an alternator and basic wear outs such as tires and brakes. But last week I took my truck into my mechanic to replace squeaky leaf spring bushing, they were driving me nuts. He called me in to have a look and to my horror I saw 2 leaf springs that were completely rusted out, one actually detached. Considering I had just pulled our pop-up 200 miles at 65 MPH it was clear that I could have been killed. Mechanic said this is a problem with Rangers, apparently the design leads to mud caking above the springs and the moisture eventually causes this much corrosion. If you are looking to buy one used, and I may be doing just that as I can't afford the Japanese alternatives, look very closely underneath.
This is 2013 and I've got a 1996 Ranger with 98,000 miles on my ranger that I purchased new. I'm a very easy driver and fix things on the spot without fail, when it's time to be serviced it gets it. it has been garaged many years and I've found that it's a heap of rust especially from the mid point of the body and frame back to the tailgate. I've put bearings, calipers, disks, lines, hoses master cylinder and spindles on this truck twice once at 15000 and then at 75000 miles. The drivetrain is so as long as you have a long ramp to shoot down to get on the interstate. The Wipers, warning chimes, radio come on and go off anytime without me doing anything,. The radio button does not shut off and the fan switch only works in the high setting. The air conditioner was serviced twice replacing more then half of the parts, and it stopped totally at 69,000 miles. I've replaced the entire power steering system. Now the engine check light is on and the fuel neck is cracked from age. I've used FORD Dealers on at least 75% of the time and always use new parts. I pray that the neighbors tree would fall on it so the insurance would get me something better. Truly this is a (F)ound (O)n (R)oad (D)ead
[DaytonCarCare] I've owned many cars, mostly German, and a few trucks. My first Ranger was a bare bones 94 Reg cab with 5 speed manual and the little 2.3L 4 cylinder. Too little power and felt like a tin can to drive in. Soon sold it and now have a 94 Supercab XLT 4x4 with the 4.0 OHV. Great truck, weak point is the auto locking front hubs that are prone to fail. I upgraded to manual locking ones. The 4x4 version feels like driving a luxury car compared to the base model economy version reg cab 2.3. So far installed a bed tonneau cover and a 5 channel amp, 12" sub and new HU stereo. Everything is great on it except I'd like to have cruise control and powered locks since I installed an alarm with remote for that option. Gas mileage isn't bad with the 4.0 if you keep your foot away from the floor. I average about 20 mpg with city/hwy combined. It could use rear disc brakes, but I understand you can do a swap with an Explorer for that. Also recommend replacing the front ball joints if a lot of miles on them. Also no ignition cap n rotor to worry about replacing since it has a DIS (distributorless ignition system with coil pack). Additionally I was surprised the AC still worked. I just did a DIY can of R134 and it's blowing cold again. And the heater works very well. I never have to turn it up more than at halfway point, and I live were it snow and gets in the 20s at times in the winter. I thought the water pump was failing, but a new thermostat and coolant stop leak additive did the trick. New parts are easy to find and very affordable. Not something I could brag about with my previous German made cars.
I HAVE ONLY 48,500 MILES ON MY 2003 RANGER XLT AND I HAVE HAD TO REPLACE CAD.CONVERTER AND NOW UPPER AND LOWER BALL JOINTS. I THINK FORD DID NOT HAVE A GOOD IDEA WITH THIS TRUCK. BALL JOINTS SHOULD LAST 100,000 MILES AND CAD. CONVERTER FOR EVER. I WILL DRIVE HER TILL SHE FALLS APART AND AFTER THAT I AM A CHEVY MAN
I have replaced the alternator, batterie and starter and the only way can start it is by jumping it off. I am not sure what can be the problem.
extremely great truck im the third owner of mine truck can handle every thing i throw at it ive hualed 9 tuns with it
my 1994 ranger is my first vehicle and is easy to repair. it's very fun to drive, and the 4 wheel drive works perfectly. it's good to drive in the city and rural areas. the a/c does not work, but the heater always does, although there is not muck airflow coming out of the vents. otherwise, i love it and it's the only vehicle i want to drive. it has 200,87 miles on the odometer and is still going strong. i hope to drive it for a long time.
I have a 1992 ford ranger bought new, I am the original owner. It has 155000 miles on it and has been extremely dependable. Don`t think i will ever sell it.
I have an 09 ford Ranger. I have had multiple problems with the heat blender door becoming stuck. Now this usually happens on the heat side which in winter is not a problem, but now that warmer weather is here it sucks, can not run a/c. Is this a common problem and does anyone know a way of changing the blender door with out having to remove the interior dash components?
I recently bought a 2004 Ford Ranger V6 with 95,000 miles on it. The engine light came on and it was the 4th cylinder. The cylinder was replaced and so were the wires. A week or two later, the service light comes on again. It is reading the 4th cylinder again. P0304 code == cylinder 4 misfire. Also 6.1 & 6.9 showed... It is a 3.0 engine. I read that it probably should have a compression test done. Any one have this problem or any suggestions?
Just got my ranger 2 weeks ago, love it. My first new truck was a 94 ranger reg cab, 4cyl 5sp, this 1 is a 4.0 5sp ext cab. Just put a waterpump on yesterday, not a bad job, runs great for the mileage, 210,710 miles. Got a few things i need 2 do 2 make better, fix leak in rear of cab, take old tint off windows, etc. Overall it's an awesome truck and hope it lasts a long time
I drive my 97 Ranger nearly 70 mile a day just going and coming from work. Almost 250,000 miles on it now and it got it first fluid leak from the heater control valve. Replaced it for less than $15 and topped off the radiator and I am back in business. And I have abused this thing going without oil changes, never changing the gear box and rear end lube. I might have to spoil it some and get that done.
I HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH BUCKING AND SURGING. GRAGE IS UNABLE TO PICK UP CODE. WE HAVE REPLACED MAS AND COMPUTER.STILL HAVING PROBLEMS.CAN ANYONE HELP.MY EMAIL IS RJI23@AOL.COM
THIS TRUCK HAS 95000 MILES. WAS RUNNING REAL GOOD. IT STARTED BUCKING AT ABOUT 45 ON UP. THEN WHEN YOU CAME TO A STOP IT STARTED TO SURGE.ALSO SURGED IN PARK. BEEN TO GRAGE SEVERAL TIMES AND CAN'T SEEM TO FIND PROMBLES. NO CODES. REPLACE VACUME HOSES AND MAS.ANYONE CAN HELP I WOULD BE GRATEFUL.OUT OF WORK AND CAN'T SPEND ALOT MORE.THANK YOU
this truck is a 93 - 2.3 eng. 5 speed. IT JUST WONT QUIT. Had minor problems with mis-fire, sensors, etc, but all in all it just gets up and goes. I found using iridium plugs and hi-test gas- full synthetic oil and regular maint will keep it running forever. I now have 202,000 miles. I also changed the trans fluid from dexmerc to LUCAS Gear Oil and Also the differential. AT 70mph on the interstate it gets 26 mpg... Well what do you want from 100 hp.. This truck has caused me NO headaches -- unlike my wife... Take care of it and it will take you right through social security
I have a 98 Ford Ranger, 5 speed MT. When first started, the engine runs fine, but after the engine heats up a bit, it will peg out. This is really noticeable when at a stop light with the clutch depressed. It will run at max RPM's for a while and then suddenly drop off to nornmal. Once the light turns green though, the trouble returns. The only recourse I have is to put it in 5th gear and almost bog the engine down. I've replaced every vacuum related part, springs and even adjusted the idle to as low as I could get and still maintain the engine running.. I have been told that the Fan clutch is failing and should replace it, but this couldn't be the problem, could it?
I have a 1992 ranger that I bought back in 1994 with about 65,000miles. It now has approx 326,000 miles on a 2.3L 4cyl engine. The best ford product I've ever owned..Great little truck. Replaced 2 alternators, 1 starter, a couple of clutches, couple of tune-up's and I recently replaced the body cab mounts. You would never tell that this little guy has over 300,000miles because it rides very smooth and is solid as a rock. Paint is getting some what faded but other than that, it's a great little pickup. I drive this little guy every day to and from work. I'm getting ready to do another tune-up very soon. still doesn't burn a bit of oil. It's amazing! I've been using full syntetic oil for the last 3 years as well. Highly recommended! I've heard that these pickups have gone as far as 1 million miles on these engines...simply amazing! Regards, Dan
I have a 1995 ford ranger that we bought about 8 years ago, and it now has around 260,000 miles. It has been running fine, but lately I cannot get it out of park if the truck id running, but in a certain key position when the truck is off it will shift fine but wont start. Does anyone know of what i need to replace to fix this problem? Already tried the ignition switch and there was no luck there. Any suggestions are appreciated.
2002ford ranger xlt,has gold color with metal flakes in paint with chrome alond the bottom of cab and ddoor and bed. it has a bed liner and a great sound system. the interior is in excellent shape with non smoking .
well i've not had much trouble with mine at all in the last 6 yrs, gave $100.00 for it when i bought it, and been good to me since :)
brand spanking new truck and rt front turnsignal dont work. bad multifunction switch . vehicle has 6 miles on the odometer.
So far so good, a/c is being repaired today. The evaporator has gone bad.
I've had this truck since 1996 with 43,505 miles at the time. Now it has over 283,000 miles on the original 2.3 Liter engine. I've had the manual tranny overhauled at about 220,000 miles in 2003 and it's been taking a licking and keep on ticking. Never could get the A/C system up 100 percent but the heater puts out great heat. In my book, Ford rocks. This truck is one tough cookie. I've only had to replace parts on it for normal wear and tear like the starter five years ago, the alternator two years ago, water pump two years ago, radiator four years ago and heater core about three years ago. I have no complaints about it. I'm glad I bought a Ford. Can't beat 'em in my opinion.
Great junk hauler! wish it was more reliable...
225,000 miles and can,t bitch. Did the brakes once, clutch twice because of a defective slave cylinder. Replaced the thermostat, that was a shocker $225 and ball joints once. Still has original alt., water pump, battery. I do oil and fluid changes on a regular basis.
I own a 2001 Ford Ranger XLT and for the most part I've been happy with it until recently. I've had to have most of the entire front end steering and suspension replaced in it just after 50,000 miles and now it's developed an engine miss. Had it tuned up with new plugs, wires and a fuel filter and it ran great for about 4 days and now it's back to the same thing. The AM/FM CD Radio in these things are pretty worthless to say the least. Got a CD stuck in the player and finally had it removed by an ASE Ford Tech and now it does'nt work at all. But for the most part, I'm happy with it. You get what you pay for, and FORD is #1 in my book.