Ford Explorer Reviews

Ford Explorer Reviews and Owner Comments

I brought my 2005 ford explorer love it until at 50,000 had to buy tires, brakes, alternator, fix the auto seat on driver side and now I have that famous crack on the back of the hitch and sat 80,000 I just replaced the transmission. I brought 2 new vehicles from ford in 2005 and I don't think I will buy anything else from them. My 2005 F-150 truck has had a lot of parts replaced and repaired and it has about the same amount of miles on it. Ford you have lost a repeat customer. NEVER NEVER again Ford you SUCK
My 2006 Ford Explorer just clicked 200,000 miles. Only substantial repairs have been U-bolts and a water pump.
I bought my '02 Explorer in 2004, with 36000 miles on it. Something internal in the motor just gave out, at 286000+ miles. It still looks new and until now, I've had NO issues with any part of this vehicle. I'm looking at newer Explorers now because I'm not sure $5500 for a new motor is a good investment. However, the rest of the tuck is still solid, and not having any of the problems being listed, maybe it is.
bought a 2005 ford explorer in 2010. I did have the crack on the back but that was replaced at the dealer. It had 69k miles, most things were great until the 100k marker, that's when the grinding around corners came, I replaced the rotors only to continue to hear it again, I then replaced the front control arm assemblies due to the fact the ball joints were bad, I replaced the rotors again, the noise stopped (for a while) then the thermostatic housing begins to leak, got the part, still leaked, told me the sensor needs to be replaced too, then that solved that problem. Last but not least, the killer was when the bolt for the timing chain broke, out went the timing, valves, a few more things to basically a replacement engine... Out the door it went, dodge and chevy I stay now
I have a 2000 ford explorer limited edition do not buy a ford the I'm constantly having issues with the brakes coming off it is a scary feeling especially when you take it to a mechanic more than once an everytime 6months later it does the same thing so say for instance this morning it happened again an now when I try to turn left I hear a rubbing noise behind my wheel also my driver an passenger doors do not open cause during the winter your handles freeze an since they are made out of cheap plastic they snap right off now I constantly have to climb in an out through the back door this was a good car when I first got it in 2011 now everything just slowly starts to go wrong with it I also got a recall in the mail saying not to park my car close to any buildings cause there's a part on the engine that can cause it to start on fire even when its not in use just for future reference buy an different brand of vehicle cause all ford do is turn to shit....
I brought the truck brand new , around 94,000 miles the rears went in the truck, then around 95,000 the transmission went bad. Had to get a engine because the timing jumped. Overall the truck was good until it got to 94,000 then everything started going wrong. My brother had a 2004 Ford explorer same thing happened transmission then the engine. Ford knows it's a problem but won't honor or recall the vehicle.
2003 Ford Explorer 120K Replacing the transmission due to servo bore issue All wheel bearings have been replaced and front-end control arms and ball joints. Crack on back tailgate AxC leak Blend door failure
my turn signal's don't work, I already checked all the fuse
hello from surrey b.c Canada. I have a 2003 explorer 119k that has been idling rough and making a howling sound about every 3 sec to a min. sound comes from the air filter intake.I read some reviews and took the advice of one owner. I removed the Iac valve at the throttle body and cleaned it with ford tune up spray. the inside was black with carbon. then removed the intake tube from the throttle body and opened the buttetfly manually and cleaned the inside of it . it wasy very black and full of carbon too. the truck runs 100% now. very easy to do on 4.6 I had this problem for about a year and slowly got worse . even took to a mechanic and charged me 100$ but cant fix it. remember when we were young and we had carburators we would use carbout or something like that ..
My First new Ford Explorer was a 1997 v8; wonderful with 232,000 miles on it. Bought new 2006 v8 Ford Explorer, and what a nightmare. Many problems. Notably, radiator was replaced 12/2011 cost $634.00 Radiator just went again. I learned that faulty radiators have been a major issue since 2006 came out. Ford is aware of this and never did a recall, or extended warranty. Buyers of FORDS and suckers beware. I no longer support FORD nor will I ever say anything positive about Fords ever again. Hall of Shame on Ford!
I have a 2004 ford explorer and this sub has been trouble sense i bought it first it sarted loosen power and later on after dealing with that and getting that fix finally the rear hatch just one day part while someone was in it the windsheild and shatter and the hatch just busted out of it's position this is a very defective suv hate i bought it.
I brought my 2005 ford explorer love it until at 50,000 had to buy tires, brakes, alternator, fix the auto seat on driver side and now at 75,000 I have that famous crack on the back of the hitch and something is going on with the transmission. I brought 2 new vehicles from ford in 2005 and I don't think I will buy anything else from them. My 2005 F-150 truck has had a lot of parts replaced and repaired and it has about the same amount of miles on it. Ford you have lost a repeat customer.
1997 ford explorer egr vacuum solenoid
Recently purchased the 2013 Explorer and basically love it except when driving at highway speeds hear a rattling or buzzing bee type noise coming from the front windshield. Needless to say with only 800 miles on this vehicle, it will be going back to the dealership.
I love the looks and design of our 2013 Explorer, however I have a persistent wind noise coming from the lower right side of the windshield when a strong right to left cross wind is present. The dealership has been unable to diagnose the problem after two visits. Also, I feel that the v-6 engine is under powered and constantly has to be kicked into another gear to accelerate even moderately. Otherwise, the 2013 Explorer is a beauty which needs a few refinements.
Let me start off by saying ford explorers and their engineers suck. Who ever designed this engine shouldn't be an engineer. I have a 2002 ford explorer 4.0 v6 sohc this pos has been the worst Suv or automobile I have ever owned. Ford should have gone for bankruptcy instead of Chrysler. Back to my POS I have had this car for four years and put money after money into this Suv . First the tranny 3500 year later the driver side timing chain 2300 I have kept up with maintenance year after year . Who puts plastic guides into an engine with a metal timing chain what was that engineer smoking. I have more to list about this so called Suv but to much for this little section. To anyone who thinks or looking into buying an ford DON'T DO IT there engines are designed to fail.
We brought a 02 explorer in Sept of 20012 with 56000 mile on it. It looks and run like it just came off the assembly line. No problems. I am married to motorhead that worked for Car quest parts for 15 years. He didn't say a thing about the prices for parts for this vehicle. Any other SUVs I couldn't get him to shut up..Mind you, we drove 81 chevy blazer that last 15 years so to us this luxury car. Currently the front windshield crack dont how but insurance is covering it. Getting ready to take it on its first road trip to Las Vegas in June. I know we will pleasant trip with car..
I bought my 94 explorer from wayside chrisian mission. The previous owner had replaced the ransmission at 160000. The only problem is the muffler was rotted out and fell off but, it was an easy fix and I haven't had any problems since. his is a good suv to have.
fords suck!!!Hard to work on not to mention pricey parts and half years who thought of this half yr crap needs to be awawrded college troghy for over paid genuises ie. thx to ford i got to know what half yr it was made in!!! Thank you ford cant thank you enough for the headache when trying to fix a easy fix!!!
I have a 1994 xlt, my dad bought it new the same year i was born an now i have it. its got 185,400 miles on it an still runs strong as ever.other than a few performance mods, the only money spent in parts was just for maintenance. its used for off-road an pulling an yet still is an excellent vehicle. an its the exact same color asthe one in the picture. brilliant blue.
Bought my 2006 Explorer Limited V-8 with 32,000 miles in January 2010. Now has 67000 miles. Had electrical short and rear lights stopped working, transmission hard to shift from Park into any gear and had to have the shifter replaced, radiator replaced due to leaking, both power third row seats broke and had to have the motors replaced. Other items have just been normal maintenance. Lucky I bought an extended warranty from CarMax for about $1200, as the repairs amounted to about $2000, but only had to pay $50 deductible for each repair (all repairs occurred at different times). Overall like to vehicle and it drives and rides great due to the independent rear suspension, which makes the ride very smooth. Would buy another Explorer, and would make sure I got an extended warranty to cover these expensive repairs.
I bought my explorer in 06. Like many on here it was a great suv for the first year then the tail gate cracked (no recall) rear window lock and wiper assy quite a year later and then just feel apart the following year front door lock is broke and the others won't lock or unlock from the outside anymore When i get in the truck the dome light comes on and then stays on until you get up to 10mph, front wheel bearing went next the heater door started the ticking noise a year after i had it and now the heater wont blow any air at all. checked the blower it runs replaced the heater resistor still don't work Looks like a hole new heater switch assy or switches. front headlight on passenger side went out every winter. Not really impressed with this vehicle and too like others on here the tranny or the rearend seems to slip at times like one wheel is on ice even when your on dry pavement.
I bought a 94 XLT from a private owner almost 2 years ago. That was my lucky day! It needed some work and the owner didnt want to maintain the DMV and Insurance so he onloaded it for $700 with the tags still current, Title clear and even had a current smog certificate. It was so easy to work on I did the repairs at home for less than $100 parts. 47,000 miles later it's right at 200,000 miles and just passed the bi-annual smog check. This is a really old car but made well because my cost per mile has been the best deal of any car I've owned in 35 years. "F.O.R.D. Found On Road Driving."
I recently purchased my 2 wheel drive Explorer, and have expierenced Mpg from 19 to 22 on the Highway. The weak point on the interrior are the arm rests which have both suffered breakage of the plastic reinforcement at the handle. Beyond a rougher than usual idle at 167000 miles, and a broken heater hot/cold blend door that will cook you out the vehicle so far has proven to be reliable enough to travel 120 miles a day round trip to work. Some day I will diagnose the rough idle but so far it hasnt caused a problem. A co worker of mine had a broter who owned one of these, and expierenced a collision that set off both airbags, to discover the vent holes in the back side of the steering column were never cut at the factory, along with the seam in the center of the drivers air bag unsewn. I hope to never ever have to discover this myself. He lives, but has had several reconstructive surgeries to repair the burns from the propellent in the air bag.
I bought my explorer in December 2006 with 69,000 miles. As of today, I have 278,880 miles. Except for the transmission, I haven't had any major problems. The only reason I had to replace the tranny, was because I never did the transmission fluid changes and it finally gave out at 187,000 miles. I did my first tuneup last year at 237,000 miles. I gave 3 stars for heat/air because there seems to be a problem with the blend door on these vehicles. I replaced it in November 2010 at a cost of $1000, only to have it stop working 6 months later. Replaced it for the 2nd time myself in October 2011 and it's still working. Overall, I love my truck and will not even consider any other vehicle.
The Explorer was my first Ford purchase. At first,the check engine light came on and I took it to several locations and no one could diagnose problem. They replaced oxygen sensors several times only temp fix. Finally, in spite of their dire warnings I let it go. I've driven it 5 years now without incident so I figure light problem was some fluke. No major failures, I've driven many miles with only regular maintenance. I've read bad reviews of this model but apparently not all vehicles made this year were bad. I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of this vehicle and that is what matters to me. Minor issues include rusting running boards and driver side door lock problem. Not bad for 12 year old vehicle.
http://www.fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com is where you can get a fix for your transmission if the OD light is flashing or Check Engine light is on. If you get Codes for your trans like PO 775 or PO 745, it is most likely the servo bores. This place gets you a 200.00 fix that you can do in your driveway in 2 hours. It fixed my 03 2 weeks ago and is now doing fine! Ford originally replaced my transmission case at 36,000 miles for this problem. Now it happened again at 148,000. Puts more mileage on a nice vehicle!
I bought this car 5 years ago for 3500 bucks. Back then it only had strong at 189k. I always change my oil and spark plugs, just doing the basic stuff is always important. My front and rear suspension ball joints make a clunking noise, but other then that have not had any problems. At one point my transmission was making an intermittent whirring noise (at around 150k), but for the last 25k miles, it has since vanished. Wish it got better gas mileage, for a V6 its very archaic. I only average around 14/18, but always super reliable. Occasionally on start-up, the idle is weak and I have to keep gas on it to stabilize but it always evens out after a few seconds. Maybe a vacuum leak? Overall.. awesome car, has held up great.
In comparison to other mid size SUV'S the 2007 Ford explorer is well built and sturdy! Maintainence is simple and not to expensive to adhere to maintence schedule! The Explorer has a compfortable ride and handels well! The interior is could use a more compfortable seating system. The base of the front seats are short and do not support large individuals comfort. They seeemed to sacrafice the seating legnth to gain more interior room. The exterior lighting in this vehicle tends to create moisture on the inside of the lenses of the head lamps, fog lamps, and tail lamps! The under powered engin is a handicap on the highway when attempting to pass other slower vehicles! The truck needs a more horse power and a redesigned transmission that compliments more power and sufficient fuel economy! The downside to the explorer is the engin's lack of power, fuel economy associated with minimal power as well as it's lack of ability in towing. The 210 Horse power engin is weak with the transmission design. The tramission and differential's lack of transference of power consumes too much fuel with limited performance! The wheel bearings are a vast improvment from prior explorers and the comfort in ride has improved! Otherwise, The 2007 Ford Explorer Is a a sound built SUV with a dominate appearence. The 4 wheel drive is average and sufficient with the weak performing enginn. The truck his durable and can uphold it's value for the money. Just as long as it's not bought for towing or off-roading. I love my exploerer and has served me well! Minimal repairs other than basic matainence. She's reliable and sturdy! I would reccomend the V-8 model! This would then be a top ranked SUV! As I finish the service is excellent, Ford stands strongly by thier product and has gained a lifelong customer!
I was told I need to replace the front end of my 98 Ford Explorer It has 211000 miles on it runs great. They said I need new ball joints,tie rods,shocks and struts how much should this cost? They quoted $795.00 Thanks Dawn